[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sad caterpie.jpg (35 KB, 640x480)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>use HP Up on my Pokemon
>its HP doesn't go up
bravo gamefreak
>>
>>55799096
I don't understand how vitamins actually work either.
Are they supposed to give you a few points instantly or do they change some hidden modifier so you gain more points in a certain stat upon level up?
>>
>>55799096
Why do you think Potions exist
>>
>>55799114
They give 10 EVs in said stat, and you gain 1 point in a stat after you gain 4 EVs.
>>
>>55799114
is this a serious question? There's hidden stats called effort values, or EV's, that you'll see mentioned a lot.

The basic way to explain is you know how games always say "trained pokemon are stronger then wild"? That's what EV is. It's just a stat that increases their stats based on what they've fought against (so trained against)

So, let's say you fight a Blissy. This gives HP EV. So your Pokemon now has HP EV's. Then you fight like a Tauros, now it has an Attack EV and Speed EV.

So these numbers aren't really MEANT to be controlled. It's just an idea that your pokemon grows in different ways judging off what they trained against. So you have a pokemon with a hundred HP EV's and just catch another of the same pokemon same level, the trained one has way more HP!

Vitamins control this to an extent. So you feed HP Vitamin, and it's the same as getting HP EVs.

EVs have a total amount pokemon can get, so in the mainline games you max out really fast actually, so vitamins become useless at that point and it says it fails.

Did this explanation help? I tried to dumb it down.
>>
>>55799122
>>55799136
In English, doc?
>>
>>55799147
Char limit makes it hard to get into detail, can try my best, I'm sleep deprived so a bit difficult.

So you know how you level up pokemons and they get stronger? Well, there's a second layer to gaining stats, that's not really shown well, it's known as EV's (effort values), what they've trained against.

This caps at a little over 500, and 255 each stat (so you can't cap more then 2 stats). It slowly goes up if you kill mons, no matter what level they are.

You wanna cap your speed EVs so your pokemon has the highest possible speed it can have? You can kill 255 pidgeys if you want and max out the stat completely.

In normal games this is pretty random and speratic, like hitting the random button to distribute your stats so no 2 pokemon are different. You used this pokemon through rock tunnel? Now they have more hp/defense.

Once the 510 EV's have maxed, it doesn't gain anymore, so you're pernamently maxed. Think of it like reaching level 100 in pokemon, no more leveling.

Reaching 510 EV's is pretty quick actually, as a lot of mons give multiple EVs.

Vitamins let you control this. Since a player (without a guide) wouldn't know what pokemon would give EV's, you can use vitamins to supplement this instead.

So in an example, let's say I wanna raise the perfect Charzard, I want super high Special Attack. So I want to make sure he's fighting pokemon that gives Special Attack EVs, or just buy vitamins to do it faster. I get to max a second stat, let's say speed. HP up gives HP EVs, etc.

It's not 1:1, so 1 hp EV does not equal 1 hp, but at certain thresholds and levels my hp will be higher then someone without those HP EVs
>>
>>55799147
you can make stats even bigger depending on what pokemon you beat up or vitamins you take. in old games the stats only update when you level up.
>>
>>55799147
I'll try in the simplest way possible. There's another 255 hidden value that you can boost when you use a vitamin. Hp up gives you 10/255. Every 4 gives you 1 visible stat increase. The part that throws things off is if a pokemon is a really low level you won't see the boost right away. At level 100 if you used a hp up on a Pokemon you'll see the +2 in hp (cause hp up gives 10, every 4 is 1 point).

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.