[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: PICKPOCKET.jpg (6 KB, 194x259)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
how bad is the actual pickpocket situation in europe? planning to go to Rome next month and everyone on reddit just called me a paranoid schizo for worrying too much without offering any real advice
>>
>>2648663
they prey on unprepared tourists. Just read up the usual scams, and how to carry important stuff safely. Also learn to racial profile, gypsies and arabs look similar, but both should be avoided. Some are eastern european though. Visit websites/blogs about that topic instead of asking on leddit, you won't find good answers there
>>
>>2648663
just keep everything zipped up
no open bags, no wallet shoved in back pocket etc, keep bags in front of you
main problem areas are tube/metro systems, don't let other people stand very close to you if possible
biggest problem cities are barcelona, paris, london. anywhere where there are lots of filthy eastern european types
basically keep your eyes open, you'll probably be ok
>>
>>2648663
Keep your wallet in your front pocket. That's literally it.
>>
>>2648663
ignore everyone approaching you trying to talk to you, keep wallet inside your shirt. Got mine stolen despite being zipped inside a front pocket. Don't carry a wallet at all, just some cards and small cash. You can be there 50 times and nothing happens, but when it does it's really annoying.
>>
>>2648663
I’ve lived in multiple pickpocketing hotspots. I currently live downtown Barcelona, which is probably one of the worst in Europe.

I’ve never been pickpocketed, ever. Not to victim blame, but the people who normally get shit stolen from them are the ones who are blissfully unaware of their surroundings. The ones that keep iPhones and purses sticking out of their coat pockets. Another big one is having your phone on the table whilst out for drinks, or a wallet in your back pocket whilst searching for directions on your phone.

My single best advice is keeping one thing with you, that’s your phone. Maybe your ID and some cash in your phone case. Keep that with you in your front pocket with your hand on it when in most areas.

Another thing is, don’t think that because you’re in a place that you perceive as safe is actually safe. I’ll give a perfect example.

Right in the city centre here I’ve seen several people arrive into the city, Monday morning around 8am from the airport, normally looking on Google maps for their hotel or their bus, a time when most people are heading to work. It’s pretty quiet and seems very safe. It’s not busy, there’s not many tourists and people normally let their guard down a bit. This is a perfect opportunity for pickpockets because they know all of this, they’re not dumb.

The other thing is, if you do notice a pickpocket, don’t ever be afraid of confronting them. They’re sophisticated and are business-minded. They’re there to make money, not get into fights and have heat on their back. Grab them. Confront them. Demand whatever they’ve taken from you.

To be clear, if you’re not a fucking retard, pickpockets are not something you should have to deal with. Just be aware that they exist and operate in every major European city and they’re extremely, extremely successful in what they do.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.