[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Capture.jpg (48 KB, 651x524)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
which ones will you visit? https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Next-to-impossible_destinations
>>
If you're willing to go for a desert hike you can get a view of Area 51. There's far more challenging places to travel just in Nevada
>>
Here's one destination that you'll never go to: a woman's willing vagina.
>>
Why is north shore, Quebec on that list? It's not impossible to get to, just hard and maybe expensive. I know someone who went to a place called Tete-a-la-Baleine to do an article on the lifestyles of the fishermen in the area and they had no problem getting there, it just wasn't exactly easy or cheap. It's not impossible though.
>>
>War zones: simply don't go there
What kind of pussy wrote this article?
>>
>>2646980
Kek
>>
I'm planning on going to Antarctica when I get the money and time. Some cruises that go there will go by some of the islands mentioned there.
>>
>>2646923
What kind of a retard has compiled that list? Having straight up easily accessible places and places where guided tours are regularly done next to challenger deep is pretty hilarious.
>>
>>2646923
None of those interest me much, I don’t think. Little Antarctic rocks and remote bits of desert don’t have anything I enjoy traveling for (I like people and culture more than wilderness).

I will confess to not having read the whole list, because I got bored, but the only one I noticed that I might have any chance of ever visiting in life was Mt. Athos. And even that isn’t high on my list—there are plenty of interesting old or ancient churches without weird voodoo access restrictions out there if I feel like a taste of Christendom. But I’m a complete atheist. I sometimes enjoy religious sites for their art, architecture, and history, but I have no spiritual cravings of any kind.
>>
>>2647074
It's all relative.
For example, America is an almost impossible destination for venecos trying to get in.
>>
>>2647086
No it fucking isn't you mong. I'm talking shit like Iceland's interior, Jan Mayen, Sahara, North Korea, northern Canada, Alaska and the Australian bush being on the list. The only hurdle with them is money. Travel itself is relatively straightforward.
>>
>>2646980
>willing
Joke's on you I am Indian
>>
>>2646923

>Worth It Tier
Sahara Desert
Tibesti Mountains
Congo Rainforest
South Georgia
Russian Far East
Norilsk
North Korea
Himalayas
Nuristan
Loulan Ruins
Chang Tang Plateau, Tibet
Aksai Chin
Okinoshima
Empty Quarter
Mecca & Medina
Lut Desert
Bjørnøya
Franz Josef Land
Jan Mayen
Mt. Athos
Iceland interior
Varosha
Diego Garcia
Pulu Keeling
Northern Canada & Alaska
Southern Newfoundland
Arnhem Land
Australian Outback
Highlands of New Guinea
Northern Australia
Torres Strait
Palmerston Is.
Pitcairn Is.
Sisia
Wollemi Pine Tree
Ilha da Queimada Grande
Interior Brazil
Chukotka

>Not Worth It Tier
Bi'r Tawil
Any Antarctic Islands (exc. South Georgia)
East Antarctica
Novaya & Severnaya Zemlya
ATOW1996
Rockall
Tristan da Cunha
Surtsey
Memmert
Gogland
North Sentinel Is.
military bases
Clipperton
Darién Gap
Greenland interior
Guadalupe
Navassa
Ellesmere Is.
Québec North Shore
Ashmore & Cartier
Kent Group
Paracel Is.
Point Nemo
Temoe
Baker Is.
Wake Is.
Kwajalein
Isla Malpelo
Diomede Is.
Gangkar Puensum
Challenger Deep
>>
>15
i live there
>>
>>2647158
>Not worth it
>Québec North Shore
Curious about your reasoning? It's one of the more easily accesible ones on the list.
>>2647159
I'm guessing they mean the stuff outside the few major cities. But even in them life can be a bit of an extreme sport.
>>
>>2647208
Not that guy, but from what I know about it the place is basically deserted and a little difficult to get around in. The few towns that exist are far-flung, insular and without much in the way of entertainment nor transportation options. It's best for nature tourism, but even in that regard the infrastructure isn't very extensive because it's a very low-population area and there aren't many roads suitable for large vehicles. As I understand it, the locals traverse largely by boat and ATV/snowmobile depending on the season and the only way to get to the nearest city in the same province, Sept Isles, is by plane. All of these things, including the cost of living, are extremely expensive even by Canadian standards. But the populace is of some interest because they're so isolated and are the descendents of English-speaking fishermen whose communities are dwindling and whose way of life is in danger.
Basically, there are places with similar landscapes and nature tourism options in the province with significantly better infrastructure and fairer prices than Cote-Nord. Anticosti Island, James Bay, Nunavik, places like that are more interesting in terms of nature/culture/entertainment.
>>
>>2647214
I suppose that makes sense. I've not heard much about it but I assumed it would be a similar niche nature tourism destination as Nunavik. Though I've not heard as much about the people. Everyone I've heard whose been to Nunavik always says the locals are some of the nicest people on the planet.
>>
>>2647208

Is there anything unique in northern Québec? Why not just fly to Nunavut instead?
>>
Wait does Québec North Shore (Côte-Nord) just mean north of the St. Lawrence river? That's what Wikivoyage says.

I just assumed it meant the very top of Québec like Ivujivik etc.

I didn't know simply going north of the river was hard to access? I've gone to Mt. Tremblant and it was pretty remote but there were still paved roads to get there...
>>
Going to east Siberia from Alaska could be a lot simpler if it weren't for this dumbass zigger war. Kamchatka looks amazing.
>>
>>2647222
>>2647225
I grew up in James Bay, but I haven't been to Nunavik (the Inuit-dominated area north of James Bay comprising the majority of Quebec past La Grande Riviere) so I can tell you a bit about it although I don't know about it from a tourist's perspective.

James Bay:
>Mostly Cree people who speak Cree amongst themselves and are usually fluent in English, French is comparatively rare
>There are 9 Cree communities which exist in the semi-autonomous Cree Regional Government, headed by a Grand Chief and Council elected by the entire Cree Nation from one of the communities, each with their own band council and chief
>Distances between towns are enormous and will take real planning/preparation to get to. Luckily, the majority of the communities exist along a single highway. There is one bus that goes up and down twice a week from Val d'Or but only stops in the largest town, Chisasibi. For the other communities, you get dropped off at a turn-off which leads to town and are usually at least an hour or two long by car
>Tourist infrastructure (tours, guides, etc) exist but not in excess; indeed it's likely a lot easier to make friends with a local and have them show you around, take you hunting/fishing (which you can't do legally even with a permit if you're not Cree, but having a Cree person around is plausible deniability), teach you stuff about the culture, etc. The nature and Cree culture are the two biggest draws, following that would be the LG-1 dam complex which is a giant hydroelectric dam system that produces power for most of eastern Canada and parts of the northeastern US.
>Best season to go is either winter or fall imo because summertime is full of bugs and people don't do a whole lot of hunting in the summer as our game is largely migratory (caribou, various varieties of waterfowl, etc) and nothing comes. More fishing is done in summer. Winter offers the best variety of recreation but can be brutally cold and MUST NOT be taken lightly.
>>
>>2647245
Nunavik:
>Mostly Inuit people who largely speak Inuktitut and English, some more the latter than the former.
>Multiple communities under one regional government, the Kativik Regional Government
>Air travel is basically the only way to get between towns so choose your town wisely or be ready to pay out the fucking nose for flights because, like James Bay, they are obscenely expensive.
>It's likely that there's more extensive tourist infrastructure due to more tourists actually being interested in the arctic as opposed to the sub-arctic boreal forest you find in James Bay. You may be able to pay for some pretty unique and interesting experiences and you will see animals that you likely haven't seen before (polar bears, musk ox in abundance, arctic foxes, etc). Very flat with no trees at all, obviously rather cold most of the time and deadly cold in the mid-winter. Again, winter cannot be taken lightly even in the slightest, dress fucking warm and wear more than you think you'll need. Don't try to emulate the young Inuit/Cree dudes who walk around in -40 weather wearing just a hoodie, those dudes have way bigger problems than frostbite.
>Inuit people are very friendly and are much more talkative than the notoriously taciturn Cree people. Both groups can vary between xenophobic and downright xenophilic depending on many factors including your personality and the way you interact with them and their culture. They are generally eager to show off and impress, so it's not difficult to experience something with them that you can really only do in those places.

All Inuit and Cree communities have some crime and social disorder which can be VERY visible (think groups of young drunks occupying a public space and being annoying, property crime and fighting) but it doesn't tend to target outsiders. Theft-by-finding is insanely commonplace so lock up your shit, but muggings and robberies don't really occur unless you're a known drug dealer.
>>
>>2647246
Finally, it's worth noting that the nature of these places is gorgeous but James Bay and Nunavik have completely different biomes with the former being boreal forest/taiga and the latter being arctic tundra. If you like green hell, James Bay is the way and if you like stark, barren greyness then Nunavik is for you.
Further, the sheer fucking cost of such a trip up north is going to deter most people as airfair is robbery and the cost of living up there is obscene. There will be culture shock for people who are used to punctuality, things working properly at all times, low cost of living and western sensibilities surrounding politeness (as Cree people, like I said, can be pretty quiet and shy. They also don't often say please or thank you, coming off as blunt or rude at times when they're not trying to be). But if you like peaceful, quiet nature and unique insight into the lifestyles of modern indigenous Canadians living something like how their ancestors used to live, there's no better place in Quebec for it than the north.
>>
>>2647246
Lmao, all this sounds exactly like the small Sámi villages way fucking north in Finland and Norway. People are generally nice if very straight-forward and blunt, the winters are ridiculous and the nature is insane. So in other words sounds like a place to visit if I somehow could get my hands on a couple dozen grand of spare change, which isn't happening anytime soon.
>>
>>2647097
>The only hurdle with them is money
Except North Korea if you're a burger LOL
>>
>>2647158
>Tristan da Cunha
>not worth it
Why? It looks kino. Would love to visit Edinburgh of the Seven Seas and see all the inbred pirate/sailor descendants and climb the volcano
>>
>>2647496
I mean yeah. That and them still being closed for whatever reason, for now. I'm guessing it won't take long till they start feeling like a few actually legitimate dollars couldn't hurt.
>>
>>2647551

You have to fly to Cape Town, South Africa first and then 10 days on an expensive cargo ship which only comes once a month. It would be cool but to get there just doesn't seem worth the hassle.
>>
>>2646923
Chernobyl
>>
>>2647781
I thought they did tours there regularly
>>
>>2647778
The difficulty getting there adds to the mystique
>>
>>2647000
pretty sure thats the french island nation st pierre and miquelon off the cost of NFLD(which isn't hard to get to just a pain in the ass and also fucking tiny) maybe it was closed due to covid or someshit not many people living their lots of old people.
>>
>>2646923
The isolated Brazilan islands there isn't on this map:
>Atol das Rocas
>Trindade
>Martin Vaz
>>
File: 2dindian.jpg (190 KB, 800x1132)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>2647251
>Cree people, like I said, can be pretty quiet and shy. They also don't often say please or thank you, coming off as blunt or rude at times when they're not trying to be)
Ah, so it's not just me.
>>
>>2647613
That's for sure, I think the biggest problem is the US government making it a crime for US citizens to visit NK just because that one guy couldn't behave, absolute clown shit

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.