[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Hey guys, 23 y/o white male anon with no future ambitions in life who's been to around 15 countries. I want to ask what experience you guys have with TEFL websites or with Worldpackers, Workaway, or other volunteer travel websites? Wanting to do long-term travel and maybe it'll give me some direction.
>>
Hi Anon, I thought Workaway was fantastic (White 21 y/o), met some awesome people and basically lived for free (breakfast lunch dinner cooked for me by maids) ((rent free)) (((tiny village))). Even ended up going on several all expenses paid weekenders with the other workawayers & our host's daughter.
>>
Looks extremely interesting. Though can't believe I got whacked with a €50 login charge.

Is it actually worth the money? Or is it a dead community where people blank you?

The projects actually seem really fucking cool. It's like a new couchsurfing where you can actually learn shit, and not feel so awkward staying with your host you're (not) trying to fuck.
>>
>>2646315
Wow, where did you go?
>>2646329
My thoughts exactly. Wondering if someone can comment on this.
>>
don't bother unless you're a girl. no one on there wants a foreigner to volunteer for anything unless they're a girl
>>
>>2646331
I was in Punjab/North India teaching computer skills to older women & girls.

It was myself, a man from Belgium and a British bloke. I actually got quite sick in Amritsar and the host insisted on driving 2 hours at 8pm to pick me up and take me back to the school *we lived in fully converted classrooms at a school.
>>
I am going to try it for my first time soon also (28yo male) there are a lot people asking for small renovations etc. I am actually a qualified carpenter so hopefully I can find something good.

I would be keen to go somewhere different like Iceland or northern Norway

that 50usd entry fee tho
>>
>>2646329
Punjabi Village Anon here, with the app you can also find other workawayers nearby, abit like couchsurfing. Made some friends this way in Iraq as there are no Workaways here but I did manage to contact a girl here working with an NGO.

You can see all the Hosts average reply time & last activity so it'd fairly easy to avoid dead ends.

shilling pretty hard here but idk it was well worth it for me easily $1000+ free experiences through one month and one host alone.
>>
>>2646631
Looks like Norway has a decent amount of hosts but I can imagine they're abit more picky than somewhere like India, let us know how you go.
>>
I see this same stupir fucking thread every few weeks, do not use this site and do not do these!!!!

They are all business owners and cheap people exploiting you for free labor while offering abysmal living conditions. They don't even keep their word or treat you well. You don't learn anything or gain any skills.
>>
>>2646631
Northern Norway is great. Almost anywhere you go you will find beautiful or challenging nature outside the city/town to see and hike. The people are generally more down to earth and accomodating than the south. This even goes for the bigger (by norwegian standards) cities. It takes a bit longer to travel around between places, but the payoff is nice scenery on the way. Same goes for the western part of the country.
>>
I did a similar thing (Not this site but another) and worked at a hostel in Argentina in the offseason with a friend.

>Hostel owner tells us come down we're good to stay for free if we work a bit
>Confirms it
>We show up
>Dude says "He went on a 3 month trek to Chile and didn't tell me"
>Says he'll make us pay
>I show him messages and he begrudgedly allows it
>Literally the only other people there are a spanish girl, a brazilian girl, a chef from Buenos Aires who got fired for smoking weed on the job who knows the owner and was staying for free while getting back on track who cooks for all us
>My friend and I literally do nothing because it's the offseason (autumn) and the guy and charge let's us hike instead of work as long as we clean the dishes
>Then one day he makes us watch "The Happening" and he cries like three different times and yells when the brazilian girl interrupts the movie.
>Eventually British dude shows up and we hike with him and have a good time

I did literally no work but I imagine that place is super busy and bustling during ski season and peak summer season.
>>
>>2647223
Oh that sounds awesome. What website was it?
>>
>>2647259
I think it was this one:
https://hosteljobs.net/browse-jobs

But it looked different when I used it since this was back in 2017. But I'm pretty sure that's the website.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.