[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: america.jpg (488 KB, 976x850)
488 KB
488 KB JPG
23 yo, will be 24 by then
what is an affordable state that is still not absolute shit
also what advise would you give?

my original plan is
>apply for jobs and find rent before coming
>go to some popular expensive state like NY, CA or MA
>share an apartment with 1 or 2 roommates
>pay around 700-1000/month and only use that place to sleep. spend most time outside.
>get 1 or 2 low skill jobs (around 3k/month) so I don't have to live off my savings (less than 6k)
>rely mostly on public transit to get to work
>do this for a month or a few months, while saving some money and looking for job in my domain.
>get a job in my domain (won't be easy especially right now for computer science)
>go from here...

I will eventually have to move somewhere else. because I don't like metropolitan areas, and I don't like having roommates.
is there a state that is affordable but still has good job opportunities?
somewhere with good nature and non autistic people.
people recommended going to some midwestern state like indiana. but I heard people say people there are kinda autistic.
I can just go there from the start maybe and rent would be cheaper. but not sure how easy it would be to find a job there.
maybe I can stay there until I find a job in my domain another state. that could also work.

is my original plan retarded or is it doable? should I do something else?
is going back to college in the US worth it? even if it's only to socialize and develop a network.

tldr. I am still not decided yet, the us is huge and there are too many options to choose from. any tips in general?
>>
>>2645869
in case this is relevant. I am not "white"
I am white on paper in the US. but I am north african. I look kinda jewish. somewhat whitish but you can tell I am not european.
>>
>>2645869
Denver, CO. I’ve lived here for 2 years. There’s plenty of jobs, affordable places to live, and a solid public transportation system. if you don’t live smack downtown it’s totally affordable.

Denver is lukewarm in almost every way which makes it and easy place to come up without too much resistance. You can move to more niche areas later on.

I came here with 2k in my pocket
>>
>>2645874
denver is a good place if you like the smell of weed 24/7
>>
>>2645874
interesting. when did you come exactly? also how is the housing market there nowadays?
how are the people? how are the demographics? I am not racist but would like to stay away from regions with a large african american population for obvious reasons. south americans are fine as long as they are not human or drug trafficking. natives are fine.

>>2645877
lol, elaborate?
>>
>>2645878
colorado was one of the first states to legalize weed in the US, so naturally you'll find a lot of potheads at the capital.
>>
>>2645880
is it mostly just weed consumption or some more dangerous criminal activities?
>>
>>2645883
i can't say because i was only there for a few weeks, but when i was there nothing happened to me, i didn't hear any gunshots or police sirens (this was spring of 2019), but things might be different after corona
>>
>>2645878
March 2022.
>housing market
There’s apartments that are $115k slightly outside Denver fwiw.
Rent can be had for 1k, rooms for less
>apes
They are contained and subdued by the bean people
>>2645883
Only degenerates smoke weed openly I’m talking homeless, wackos, or chimps. Most people do it clandestinely and out of sight

As I said before, everything is lukewarm. It makes it somewhat mid, but for exactly that reason, it is a good place to set down without turbulence
>>
>>2645878

Don't bother coming here if you are racist. You'd be surprised just how non-racist America is; do not be fooled by idiots on 4chan because it's nothing like real life. You will have to learn to deal with different people, especially if you are a low skilled immigrant from Africa with no job or money. People will probably think you are Mexican anyway and if you want a job you'd probably need to learn Spanish and get with them because they are doing the same thing as you, except they have connections and you don't. You don't get to pick and choose what groups to be apart of, so you better humble yourself quickly or someone here will do it for you.
>>
>>2645894
thanks, appreciated

>>2645896
I am not really racist at all. just trying to be cautious.
also i am not really low skilled. I have a degree in CS and a job here. but right now it's not as easy as it used to be to get a job in tech in the US. so I am aware it will take time for me to find a decent job. the low skill job will hopefully be temporary. there are few people from my country in the US. but they are mostly centralized in boston. but I don't care about that right now.
>>
>>2645869
You're really underestimating expenses, cost of living, travel expenses (you really need to factor in a cheap used car into your expenses, especially if you want to do shit outside often), taxes on your income... If you want to move you'll need first and last months rent + safety deposit saved up to rent, plus the flight, furniture and essentials for hygiene/cooking, grocery money for the first bit before work, and wanting to do all of that shit on a menial job payment? Bad move. Apply everywhere, constantly, nonstop, for something that actually pays and is related to your field. Also, good luck with the visa process.
>>2645901
>CS
>will take time for a decent gig
Use the time to save for the move because it will wipe your savings or hit them hard. To look up where to move to, look up videos asking what its like, where are the places to avoid living in, COL, what there is to do in the area... Midwest is 90% sports and drinking with no natural beauty.

As for learning to get along, lmao its just about being polite, even megacities are tremendously racially segregated. NYC, Chicago, Miami, all split up into segregated blocks. The anon is right in saying that you do need to be polite and definitely need to network and socialize extensively and being open to everyone is a good way to do it. Hes right that racism isn't really a thing, it's very much a "we'll live up here while you group up there and we'll be polite in public to each other."
>>
>>2645869
It's not gonna work bro, trust me. Been there, done that. Things are absolutely FUCKED here.
>>
>>2645924
I already did the math roughly and I think I can pull it off for the first 2-3 months. it won't be easy and I will have to live frugally. but it will pay off in the long run.

>you'll need first and last months rent + safety deposit saved up to rent
apparently most landlords don't ask for last month + safety deposit. it's usually one of them + first month
but even if that's the case. assuming I am in COL. average rent price seems to be around 1600. with a roommate that's 800 each. so I have to pay maybe 2400 in advance.
>plus the flight
I am not counting that. the money is already secured and not a part of the savings.
>furniture
I don't need anything more than a mattress and a small ikea desk for work
can get both for around 200$
>essentials for hygiene/cooking
I don't need much either. around 100$ (mostly for the cooking utensils)
>grocery money for the first bit
I did the math a while ago based on prices in the US and I found out I can live on 3$/day of food. apparently many people do it, I am not alone. you just have to buy certain food items in bulk. like dried beans, lentils etc... they are dirt cheap. also don't eat in restaurants. at least in the beginning. so this can be around 90-100$/month
>bills for the first month can very a lot depending on many variables. so anything between 90 and 200$

so I am looking at around 3000$ for the first month basically.

for other months it's just the 800$ rent + 200$ bills + 100 food + 50 hygiene that's around 1150. maybe 1500 if I am a bit more relaxed.

assuming I have 6k that's enough for the first 3 months if I didn't find a job. and I am very likely to find one in the first month. even after taxes, a manual job is still enough to cover all those expenses.
I will most likely take two jobs or one job and some side hustle.

>car
I already said I want to pick a place with relatively good public transit system so I don't have to use a car for the first month at least. then I can buy a cheap used one.
>>
>>2645942
this is what losers say btw
>>
>>2645942
>Been there, done that.
what did you do? how did it not work? can you elaborate.
>>
>>2645957
I feel like a lot of people in america don't appreciate the opportunities that their country has that foreigners can see.
>>
>>2645960
They don't lol, it's one of the greatest countries based on class mobility alone. Anyone here saying "aww man this shit sucks" is probably a teenager or a genuine loser
>>
>>2645961
yep.
are you denver anon?
can you tell more about your story? how did you manage to make it with 2k in your pocket.
when was that?
how long did it take to find a job? where did you look?
did you work multiple jobs?
did you do your own business?
any mistakes you've made?
anything will be appreciated
>>
>>2645967
>are you denver anon?
nope
I will assume the other questions are for that specific anon
>>
>>2645969
ah. alright
feel free to share your experience if you want though
>>
File: IMG_9157.jpg (85 KB, 560x754)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>2645869
>tldr. I am still not decided yet, the us is huge and there are too many options to choose from. any tips in general?
Before anything else what fucking visa do you have or sure you can obtain? You seem to be putting the cart before the horse here anon
>>
>>2646015
won dv program
>>
>>2646017
You're a disabled vet who's moving to the USA? What? Are you a US citizen already?
>>
>>2645960
Like what?
>>
>>2646029
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_Immigrant_Visa
>>
>>2646119
How did you manage to get that without being to detail every question in the OP?
>If selected in the lottery, to qualify for the immigrant visa, applicants must have completed at least a high school education or at least two years of work experience in an occupation which requires at least two other years of training or experience.[44] They must also satisfy general requirements applicable to all immigrants, mainly related to health, criminal background and means of support.[45]

You basically have to have a rock solid plan to even be processed for a DIV, means to support yourself, and location of stay planned out.
>>
>>2646120
they don't ask that many questions
I just told them the rough idea that I had at the time about where I am going.

also I have all those requirements
>>
>>2646126
>they don't ask that many questions
>american visa program
Oh it's one of THESE threads...
>>
>>2646152
what threads?
can you elaborate?
>>
>>2645871
Great. More non-Whites. Just go to commiefornia. They have everything you need.
>>
>>2646160
A bullshit thread, unless you're mexico and just got into an H2B program. "they didn't ask that many questions" is bullshit. Were you just accepted into the program and still need to do the Visa process or what, as someone who works with a bunch of H1B's and have friends who did visa's from a friendly country like korea; they ask some pretty specific questions unless you have some kind of formal student visa, H1/H2 program, or family living in the USA.
>>
>>2646174
questions were very simple
if I am married
if I have kids
where I am planning to go
do I know someone there
etc...
literally yes/no questions
the interview took a few minutes and I got my visa
it was the easiest part of the whole process. easier than the medical exam.
>>
>>2646186
Are you sure this was for a visa and not ESTA?
>>
>>2646195
yeah? why are you surprised?
did you really think it was that hard?
it's not. asked many other people and it's the same case.
pretty much 45% of people selected get a visa.
majority of the other remaining 55% are people who didn't complete the procedure, either didn't check the results or didn't even bother doing the medical exam, or didn't have enough money etc...
it's not rocket science. you get selected. you follow the instructions and if you are not an absolute retard you are guaranteed to get a visa.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.