[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_8611.jpg (182 KB, 1125x2436)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
“Sorry you’re too poor” Lmao what a joke response. Saw $40 Marvel Legends going for $70 and $25 dollar ones for $50. Why did they possibly think this was an appropriate response? And this isn’t just limited to this store, I’ve been to plenty of comic/toy stores that overcharge their products by 10-20 dollars for no reason.
>>
>>10944830
Most comic stores do not order figures from a distributor and instead buy desirable ones at retail and scalp. It sucks but I would not risk getting caught with a whole shitty wave of marvel legends as a small business either.
>>
>>10944830
How new are you? Specialty shops like comic shops always charge a premium for figures. You don't have to buy from them. I side with the store owner on this, whining about price is something only poors do.
>>
>>10944830
Some people have really thin skin. Pretty much all there is to it.
>>
>>10944841
Nta but my local comic shop charges retail.
>>
>>10944830
>>10944841
All I see is two sides missing the point. The customer really is poor and should be ashamed of their own small business ignorance, but the store owner shouldve only stated their willingness to haggle.
>>
>>10944830
Because most toy store owners are also toy collectors, and as such, are incel faggots with no social skills much like the retards here.
>>
>>10944830
I see this complaint all the time about stores charging 'too much' for something. You don't like the price? Then don't buy it from that store! Nobody is forcing anyone to spend their money at one specific place! WTF do people really not have the willpower to recognize a price is too high and buy the item elsewhere?
>>
File: Fj6wRUdWAAA0DJl.jpg (356 KB, 1920x1080)
356 KB
356 KB JPG
>>10944991
this particular part of the game makes sense to me now.
>>
Store owners are used to hear "it's cheaper online" all day everyday while they can't do anything about it because physical stores are more costly to run. It's only logical for them to snap every once in a while.
>>
>>10944830
>We do give discounts if asked
Yeah that figure you want? $100. But if you ask nicely we can give you a $5 dollar discount. Wtf kind of answer is that?
>>
>>10944986
>waaah you didn't let me scam you you must be poor!
Get fucked, your failing business will never bounce back.
>>
>>10944839
>>10944841
>>10945049
My local hobby stores have distribution deals with Bluefin and GW that lets them sell merch for retail or even cheaper sometimes. Been going there since the dude had a dinky little store tucked away in a plaza.
I know success in modern America often comes down to luck but really, if a random guy can open a tiny record and comic store and grow it into three big locations with official distribution deals and good prices, then these other stores are doing something wrong. Either they suck at business, chose a bad location, treat their customers like shit, etc. sometimes it's a legit skill issue.
>>
>>10944830
be thankful your (local) store owner didn't steal 50k+ and then fucked off.
>>
>>10944830
>two commas in owner’s response
ESL identified
>>
>>10944830
>>10945051
>>10945155
>>10945183
Why are Americans like this?
>>
>>10944830
Was there more to the owner's response. This is the first in 12 years being open what?
>>
>>10944841
I haven't been to my LCS in a few years since it's a bit out of the way, but when I did figures were maybe $5-10 over MSRP at the most even for imports and you could find some decent deals occasionally. If this store's really gouging as hard as OP says then they'll probably end up running themselves out of business.
>>
>>10944841
desperately over charging by $20-30 is something poors do
>>
>>10945184
>why do Americans have wildly different responses and ideas to different concepts?
Huh?
>>
>>10945283
I'm starting to feel like some of these mass responses are bots in training and choosing posts at random.
>>
You don't like the price at a particular store, don't buy the item there. What's so hard about that concept?
>>
>dont like it? Dont buy it
Don't sell it, neither
>>
>>10945155
You don't make rules based on exceptions.
>>
>>10945302
That makes no sense. People are allows to sell whatever they want at whatever price as well.
>>
if you're so poor just 3D print your own
>>
>>10945049
>t. poorfag
>>
File: 20230223_103535.jpg (994 KB, 2016x980)
994 KB
994 KB JPG
>>10945325
Nothing wrong with that. The owner said he'd haggle too. But nobody really wins. Kind of feels like toys in America are competitive instead of just being equally available. I've been to stores off-country and there are walls of everything everywhere
>>
>>10945353
americans love fucking each other over its funny how shit their country is becoming
>>
>>10945353
Ok, the store owner buys their product from a distributor and has t price it higher to make a buck and keep the store open. So why are we blaming the store owners?
>>
>>10945049
sure but buying shit online you still have to pay for shipping.
if their shit isn't at least close to the price of ordering online PLUS paying for shipping, their store is useless.
>>
>>10945302
>>dont like it? Dont buy it
that's the whole point of the review
"you won't like the prices here so don't buy their shit".
>>
>>10945374
>So why are we blaming the store owners?
because they're pricing it higher than larger retailers, which get a better break apparently. I often believe that all retailers were merely providers instead of just existing for profit and rent payments. Please educate me how business works, like how chain retailers charge less while small ones can't
>>
Not toys but things with distributor pricing, my father in law ran a video rental store in his town before he retired. The distributor on DVDs charged him $32-35 per copy of new releases with some as high as $40. On Tuesday when the new releases came out, the store would open after noon cause he’d have to run to Best Buy and Circuit City to buy movies since they’d only run him $15-17 there.
>>
>>10945429
Right. How dare small shops not price items as low as big box retailers who are able to buy items by the millions??
>>
>>10945468
>he’d have to run to Best Buy and Circuit City to buy movies since they’d only run him $15-17 there.
isn't that illegal? or sued?

I've read about how rental stores had to order through special catalogues because of how renting shit out works. So they'd pay up $200 for a single movie.
From my understanding, it's akin to those PPV fights, where a customer at home can order a viewing for $50, but a bar has to pay $1,000 or however it scales up for the amount of people that can possibly fit in the bar.

I mean, sure, it's like buying software at a student discount and using it for your professioan business. Or even using a pirated version because who will even check?

In short, licensing can be pretty fucked up.
>>
>>10945155
You have no idea what's involved in starting a business. Minimum orders from manufacturers got so high in the last two decades that the only option was distributors. Good luck making any money at MSRP when you're lucky to get 10% off.

There is nowhere you can rent cheaply enough and still get enough traffic to make 10% (on unrealistic 100% sellthrough) work. Even eBay fees will kill you because they're 20% by the time they apply to shipping and taxes.

I barely eke out a profit at toy shows and I mean _eke_ as in I can buy 1-3 figures for myself at closing time. This is with carefully scouting shows (no $2K-per-table ComicCons or 30-attendee fire halls) and shifting from the broken distribution model to flipping half-off clearance items. It's awful. I'm honest and engage with customers because I'm a fan too but I can't give stuff away to autists too cheap to shop Ollies.

It's a tough market. Costs are just so high. The market is like game development in that it relies on an endless stream of "hey, I using X, maybe I can sell X" fools that it grinds into dust and discards in time for the next cadre of them.
>>
>>10945494
The movie premium was higher (like $200+) back in the VHS days because there was a significant lead time between being available to rent and being available to buy. If you had a Columbia House membership, you could get in on this too, I specifically really being solicited to buy Star Trek First Contact for $180 months before you could buy it at the store.

When DVDs came along, alot of this changed, and I'm thinking that might've been what your father-in-law was responding to. The exclusivity period became vanishingly small but the prices didn't drop anywhere near as much. No surprise that, not long after that, your local video shops dried up, followed by chains like Blockbuster. Streaming didn't have nearly as much to do with it as the media wants you to believe.

Seems like a common trend in business. Some business model works so great it becomes ubiquitous. Then all of the costs skyrocket and the price hikes necessary to keep up collapse demand with no survivors (or resources to relaunch). I've seen it with toys, home video, electronics, books, comics, movie theatres, etc.
>>
>>10945724
Nah, I'm talking about how there's a licensing thing when it comes to rentals. They had to order through special distributors in order if you were a rental store.
These companies know how to make their money, but how well they enforced their rules? Well, you have your father in law showing how lax they were. Maybe early on they were strict, but who knows if they ever actually stopped.

And if you look at advertisments in old magaznies and even some comics, those columbia house memberships were shit. I distinctly remember everythingbeing pretty shit compared to what you can buy them in store, on sale. Why subscribe to that shit where you ahve to order a minimum amount every year/month when i could pick and choose day 1 for maximum good deals at Target, Good Guys, or Circuit City? Even Hollywood Video and the Disney Store offered better deals for VHS tapes back in the 90s. Free promos or $20 worth of free rentals with the preorder of $20 Toy Story on VHS.
Maybe there was some premium for an early release, but that's still fucking retarded. I mean, sometimes it took over a fucking year for the home video release to come out after it stopped being out in the theater, but that was common until the late 90s. So we were used to waiting back then.

Also, VHS prices weren't that expensive by the late 80s. Less than the price of a NES or Gameboy game. By the 90s, they got even cheaper.
>>
>>10945724
In the big picture alot of it is due to real estate flipping. Back when I watched cable and listened to the radio regularly, every third commercial was people selling seminars on how to get into real estate. Multiple networks aired "reality" shows of husband-wife teams scouting fixer-uppers to flip for big bucks. Over time that shifted into people trying to buy your house through commercials/websites/mailers etc.

Now here's where that's relevant. All of these people are trying to basically double their money on every flip. So follow the math here. A property goes from $100K to $200K to $400K to $800K to $1.5M.

Business models that work when you're paying $1500/mo rent stop working on your way to $15000/mo rent. The existing shops, that got in when property was affordable, are alright...for awhile. But then they retire or die and property goes on the market for current insane rates that preclude running many businesses. Usually it ends up vacant, though sometimes you get a trashy tenant like Spirit Halloween or a vape shop which frankly isn't any better.

Same thing we see in residential housing where there's enough supply (more or less) but it's been flipped and reflipped so high as to price out most of the market.
>>
>>10945429
if they're running a store whose business model is so shit that they can't even come into the same ballpark of competitive prices, and they over no other value, then why would I shop there?
I don't care whether it's the store owner's fault or not I just care that their shit costs $20 more so I won't buy it.
>>
>>10945756
Oh I know Columbia House was parodied. It was some sort of trope for being like drug addiction. Hook you on those first 7 movies for 1c each, then hit you harder on the 7 more you had to buy within a year or so. But I specifically remember that First Contact solicitation because of how nuts it was. I think I paid $20 when it hit retail.

I don't remember buying too many tapes through my subscription. They had started their TV series offshoot and that took up most of my money. All of BTAS at $20 per volume or 4-5 episodes. Yikes.

I don't remember VHS tapes getting that cheap until they were on their way out. $10-$15 seemed pretty standard everywhere I shopped. Certainly nothing like the $5 bins of DVDs at Walmarts. People have no idea how cheap DVDs are relative to VHS 40 years ago. It's like game prices.

Have to be careful on pinning prices to NES and GameBoy games too. NES games were $20 at the start, went up to $50 at its height, and dropped back down to $20 at the end. New GameBoy games were $30 with the Players Choice reissues clocking in at $20.
>>
>>10945795
That's how you end up with virtually nowhere to buy a product. Sharks eat all of the little fish and then start eating each other. Suddenly Walmart gets to dictate the market because Walmart _is_ the market.
>>
>>10945803
Yeah and that sucks for the system but I'm not gonna pay 50% higher prices to make 0.0001% improvement. If you've got a problem with that go to your city council meetings and yell at them to tell walmart to fuck off
>>
>>10945807
It's a tragedy of the commons. Nobody wants to pay a little now so we all pay alot later. That you're talking 50% means it's already too late. Enjoy.
>>
File: nintendo ad 1986.jpg (422 KB, 800x1080)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
>>10945797
I learned the value of a dollar in the 80s, where i earned money every week through chores and had to buy my own shit, instead of crying to my mom and dad that i want X.
i learned to save, because i started paying attention to how much shit actually cost.

Also, buying TV series on tape was a rip off. Like not even a movie's worth of tv episodes. I wouldn't even fucking RENT that shit.
Besides, most TV shows were syndicated to hell and back in the 80s and 90s. Some channel was always showing pretty much any popular TV show from the 50s-90s at any given time and I actually bought blank tapes to shit that aired while i was at school or somewhere else. VCRs with built in tuners were a godscend, since I could be watching the Simpsons episode 25 from season 5 the 553rd time on my local broadcasting tv station while the VCR was recording Babylon 5 on TNT.
Hell, most of the time i let stuff just get recorded, because i was too busy playing with my XMen figures and i would let the Simpsons run on the background, because Babylon 5 was something i wanted to give my full attention to watch. Nowadays I i don't let anything but music run in the background and usually only with work or fucking around on 4chan. Everything else i give my full attention to.

Also also, you must have been looking at the worst NES games for them to be $20. I once looked through a wholesaler catalogue (a retro printer paper, phonebook sized wonder) in the 80s and found out retailers were ordering games like Jackal for $30 or thereabout. Any game worth a damn was $30+.
>>
>>10944830
Sorry you're too poor
>>
>>10945890
Why do you talk about this shit like you're special? You're not lol. Do you think you're talking to exclusively zoomers? Most people on this board are in their 30s. You're not some saint lol. Get over yourself.
>>
>>10946036
Sorry your business is failing.
>>
>>10944991
I would say they're a bit worse than the retards here.

At least for the average collector, toys are a focus of passion. But for a toy store owner, they become more than that; they become a source of revenue. It blinds their judgment as their idea of a toy value becomes less about the toy itself and more about how much they can flip it for.
>>
>>10944830
if it's so bad, just shut up and let them go out of business, trying to shame them into making less money is bullshit
>>
>>10946160
It's a review of a physical shop not a website. It's not about shame, it's about telling other people whether it's worth wasting their gas and time to actually go there.
>>
>>10945354
Soon we might even be half as bad as yours at this rate.
>>
>>10944830
Imagine coming here for support when you get publicly clapped back by Comic Book Guy for your retarded review. Sorry you're so poor, faggot. Nobody cares.
>>
>>10946060
>Most people on this board are in their 30s
It's a board for toys, surely they should be mostly young people?
>>
>selling rare figures in BST
>cut 10% off the top just to be nice
>get offers that want to cut an additional 50-75% off
>pointless irrelevant sob stories and other bullshit
>fell for one of them a while back and saw the guy re-posting my figure for a big profit on eBay despite claiming he'd cherish his "grail" he'd been searching months for
>confront him in e-mail and he just proudly admits he scammed me and I should never price things lower than i'm willing to take
>every listing since I explain i'm already the cheapest option online, take amazing care of the collection, fully insure it for delivery, take high-res photos and show any QC issues
>still get "BUT THIS ONE SHOP 6-12 MONTHS AGO HAD IT ON DISCOUNT STOP SCALPING" "SELL IT FOR MSRP SCALPER"
Not saying OP is this type of person but i'm feeling similar vibes.
>>
>>10946479
some of these figures cost like 500$+ so you may need gainful employment
t. 27 year old with a jerb
I think any actual hobby boards tend to skew older like /o/
>>
>>10944830
The owner is under no obligation to sell things at a price you find reasonable.
And you're under no obligation to "support a local business" just because it's "local".
>>
>>10946479
Not when these things cost what they do. You absolutely need to have some sort of stable income to afford this hobby. It's why you see so many cry babies like OP whining shit is too expensive.
>>
>economy is in the shitter
>Inflation is insane
>Basically everyone is having to cut back
>Toys are probably the first thing for most people
>hobby shops are now charging 50% over retail for shit like marvel legends

Don't call me a poorfag because you're a retard who got into a business that was obviously a horrible idea and now you're drowning so you're having to raise your already high prices even higher in a desperate attempt some retard comes along and is willing to pay it when they could get the exact same thing on amazon and just have to wait a few days for half the price.
>>
I ran a comic store back in the day myself, for fun, definitely not for profit, and not all owners are like this. Plenty are, don't get me wrong. Greedy, neurotic assholes who resent their own customers. But many are decent folks.

There are four comic and game stores near me, and they run the gambit from overpriced places I wouldn't set foot in if they were giving away the store for free, to places where I feel welcomed and there's always a reasonable deal.

It never hurts to ask for a discount on an item, especially if it's demonstrably not in line with what you expect, or you're already buying other stuff. Most owners would rather have cash in their pocket than dusty boxes on the shelves.

Things are very different now with the economy in the shitter and everyone underpaid and amazon eating everyone's lunch, but I barely made ends meet running a store in the 90s, and definitely wasn't getting rich, but it was a good time for sure.

Sorry for blogging.
>>
>>10946060
Just saying I was old enough and money conscious in the 80s to start noticing the cost of shit back then.
Also, if people wanted memories about the 80s, they'd have to be 40+ now. Anyone born after 1984 would probably have pretty shit memories and likely limited to their very narrow interests. So they'd have vivid memories about their birthdays and what toys they liked, but not what shit cost or aware of how grumpy their dad was baking their cake. They probably don't even remember how many gifts they got, just that they got the bestest ever TMNT playset on their fifth birthday and ruined the stickers by putting it in the pool right away. The shirts and gobots given by their uncles/aunts completely forgotten.

>>10946491
>some of these figures cost like 500$+
Most people here don't go over $100 for toys. It's rare to find people who will spend over $200 for a single figure.
That said, I've seen mentally ill/crippled people brag about using their government money on expensive shit.

And just because these people exist, doesn't mean they make up the majority or a good chunk of the board. You mainly see massive collections made up of $20 figures or smaller collections made up of $80 figures. Anyone young person can build up a collection like this with ease.
I was a poor college kid once and i probably built up a collection in the hundreds during that time. So if i could do that, why not someone else?
>>
>>10946621
>That said, I've seen mentally ill/crippled people brag about using their government money on expensive shit.
Isn't that what Chris-Chan did
>Most people here don't go over $100 for toys. It's rare to find people who will spend over $200 for a single figure.
I like to buy new in box and I have to pay the latefag tax
>>
>>10946602
>Don't call me a poorfag
I've been one for years
Inflation is insane
Putting suckers in fears
>>
>>10946621
>Being proud of being a loser posting on 4chan in your mid 40s.
Yikes
>>
>>10946621
>That said, I've seen mentally ill/crippled people brag about using their government money on expensive shit.
you literally have to in burgerland.
you aren't allowed to save up your disability / autismbux money in the bank, since having over $2k in savings automatically disqualifies you. so if you have extra money at the end of the month you HAVE to find some dumb shit to waste it all on rather than saving it for the future.
>>
>>10946647
>you're not allowed to be on the internet, sharing your hobbies past 30
You're going to jump out your apartment window if you keep this mentality.
You need something personal to maintain a healthy mind.

If you think having a wife and kids will do that for you, you're a naive teenager. Humans are ultimately selfish and not having your own personal thing will mean you'll feel empty or/and fuck up their lives to suit your own interests. That's what karens do, where they read some twitter vomit about how current popular thing and shape their kids like they would a doll to be that current thing.
If you're a male, you'll just suck off a shotgun.

Having a hobby and sharing it with others is extremely rewarding and makes you a happier person.

Also, I've been on 4chan maybe within the first month of its creation, so you're nothing more than a trespassers to me. this is my home.
newfag, get out.

>>>10946679
Funny enough... if you're an oldfag, do you remember QueenKittan? Super autismo who enjoyed Japanese imports and believed that owning toys was a necessity to life.
He got his cripplebux from Chavland. So whatever he bought, was also much more expensive to get than Americas buying shit from Japan, who pay no taxes for importing shit.
>>
>>10946692
>That wall of cope text
I'm only like a decade younger than you but at least I'm willing to admit that I am in fact a weirdo and autist. Keep thinking you're a gigachad while being single, and living in a small one bedroom apartment, working a retail job tho. It's pretty funny.
>>
>>10946060
I think his posts are interesting.
>>
>>10946710
LOL, did imparting basic mental health knowledge really get you mad?

Do you stave off killing yourself by assuming people who triggered you are worse off than you?
... nah, not yet, because here you are, on 4chan, on the toy hobby board.

Don't be so hypocritical, brah. That's actual cope, because you're ashamed of your life and may even be projecting.
>>
>>10946733
Goddamn dude, a little humility would do you fucking wonders you sped. Get over yourself lmao
>>
>>10945890
>Also, buying TV series on tape was a rip off.
But you're looking at it out of context. This was the late 90s. No streaming yet and you couldn't hit some massive pirate site either. There just wasn't enough bandwidth over dialup, let alone the disk space to store anything when a 30GB hard drive was top of the line.

Also, I was in highschool at the time, so I'd already lived through lots of my favorite TV shows going away forever. Columbia House was so far ahead of their time with that TV show spinoff it's not funny.

>>10945890
>Also also, you must have been looking at the worst NES games for them to be $20.
I said late and early games. So I'm talking Excitebike, Kung Fu, and Ice Climber on one end and Mega Man 6, Kirby's Adventure, and Player's Choice reissue of Metroid on the other. In between is where you had your Mario 3, Jackal, TMNT Arcade, etc which were in the $40-$50 range.
>>
>>10945890
And when the fuck is this Target ad even from? The NES launched at $200 (like every Nintendo console until the Wii) but they didn't sell ROB for very long. Most of the games pictured seem oddly overpriced compared to the lower price of the console itself.
>>
>>10946484
Oh I hear you. I've had some figures listed for awhile for half what BBTS charges. But I want to use a payment processor other than PayPal so fuck me I guess.

>>10946616
Yeah, I'm pretty reasonable with giving a discount on multiple items. But the demanding poorfags can wear you down. You know the type. They won't pay MSRP for a shortpacked figure everybody else is charging triple MSRP for and want even more discounts on already discounted dinged boxes they're just going to shred anyway. Or they spend a fucking hour touching everything and then just leave a pile of figures on the floor when it's suddenly your fault they came to a toy show with only $20. Or they whip out that phone and compare every single thing's price and think your new/mint items should price match Amazon-returns-shipped-naked prices. It's wearying. If I did more than a handful of shows per year I'd burn out.
>>
>>10947063
>you're looking at it out of context.
NOPE, strictly 90s. Again, VCRs existed. VCRs with timers and TV tuners built in made buying overpriced cartoon tapes with maybe an hour of viewing time a rip off.
The fact you don't know this makes me wonder if you were even alive back then. I'd wonder if you were a poor bumkin living in squalor, but you're talking about those overpriced video services. Instead of paying for that shit, you could have bought yourself a nice 4 head VCR and a VHS 8 pack at your local kmart

There's a reason why shows on tape were incredibly niche and it took until the 00s for home copies of TV shows to become popularized, thanks to DVD. People recording shit with their VCRs was incredibly common and trading tapes was as ubiquitous as having a friend.

Also, I was online in the 90s. IRC, hotline, AOL, etc etc were full of people offering VHS quality rips for movies and tv shows by the late 90s. If you were lucky, you'd know a nerd living at college using their T3 and T1 connection to host shit 24/7 over ftp. I watched so many animes i always wanted to see thanks (probably) unlimited bandwidth and uncapped speeds through my cable ISP.

>>10947069
Don't believe everything you watch on youtube. Youtube is lowest common denominator bullshit. I can tell you're on a shitty smartphone, because the file name has the date. Here's an ad from 1985.
Hard to believe people are already forgetting the past.
Speaking of which, the N64 was $250 at launch... possibly. I remember someone correcting me in a chat room way back in 1999 or 1998 that it was $200, but i forget if i proved myself right or wrong, because Nintendo did eventually change the price to $200, either a few months before or after it was launched.
>>
>>10944839
I agree with this, because I've asked at shops where I see DC Directs for sale, if they were getting McFarlanes or Marvel Legends, etc. and most of the time when I got the store manager or even the owner (the clerks often had no clue), they would repeat exactly this - that the manufactures refused to sell directly to them.

However, OP is asking about a TOY store, and they should have third party distributors that should be able to put their hands on many toys for sale.

>>10944986
>but the store owner shouldve only stated
Exactly.

>>10945049
>It's only logical for them to snap every once in a while.
Nope. And even if it was logical, they need to keep it in their pants or they'll be just another one of the many small business that start a business only to easily fail.

# # #

It's clearly evident from this entire thread, but too many people nowadays stupidly think that anonymous internet bait replies CAN or SHOULD serve as basic common sense practice for every day life and for business practices.

I hope the next time all you such imbeciles are at a nice sit down dinner with your family members (since there's no way most of you will manage a date unless you're paying an escort), the waitress gives you all exactly this kind of shit while you are all trying to celebrate your kid brother's graduation of whatever reason you're out to dinner for.
>>
File: 119224837728.jpg (50 KB, 612x612)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>10946072
>>
>>10947154
This post is a telltsle sign is someone growing up in a poor household.
>>
>>10947154
>Instead of paying for that shit, you could have bought yourself a nice 4 head VCR and a VHS 8 pack at your local kmart
I _did_ have a four-head VCR. Panasonic Omnivision. Bought it from Sears. Few dozen tapes too - a mix of Sony and Maxell from KMart - recorded the entire Thundercats run from Toonami. I could afford retail tapes too because I had a part-time job.

>VHS quality rips
The difference in quality between retail SP tapes and 3rd generation LP copies from the internet was very noticable. Between that, the (run)time it took to copy tapes, and shipping, retail was the preferable option.

>Don't believe everything you watch on youtube.
What about vintage Nintendo Power?

The N64 _did_ have a price drop right before launch. They did it by dropping the game and 2nd controller. First Nintendo console to do that. What a disaster that launch was with a whole two games available and shortages of anything released in the year that followed.

Never knew anybody that had ROB. That was gone from the lineup by 1986 or so. We got ours in 1987 if I remember right. Remember watching commercials for The Wizard and waiting what seemed like forever for Mario 3.

Interesting your TRU ad lists the FHE release of "Divide and Conquer" (from G1 TransFormers) for $14. Must've broken the bank in 1985. Surprised to see Atari cartridges at all, let alone at such high prices considering the 1983 crash.
>>
>>10947462
>What about vintage Nintendo Power?
Came out years after the NES launched and they'd be wrong anyway, because all those ads show the actual price

>dropping the game and 2nd controller
WAT? Never heard that in any of that in the pre-launch hype. The fact that the Japanese N64 launched the same way, before Sony announced their price drop, there's no way that's true. Did you get this from the same youtube channel that said the NES was $200?
It doesn't make sense. Neither the PSX & SS included a game and both had 1 controller only. They might've THOUGHT about it years before costs were set for production, but the original launch price of $250 was already planned out to include no extra controller and game.
Seriously, no way, because production takes so long that it and packaging likely started when the PSX launched in the US. The only thing Nintendo could do within that short amount of time is a price drop

And ROB was around for a pretty long time. I remember my friends dad telling him it cost more so they got the "core" version instead. Whether it cost more or not, ROB gave that perception

>>10947249
>faggot zoomer who watched Pocahontas on DVD 295 times
I know you're a zoomer, because you have no idea how expensive it was to own a computer in the 90s and also be an early adopter of broadband

Seriously, who wanted to own something that was freely shown and played a billion times over antenna? It's only in the past 20 years, when TV is all but dead and movie/TV show rights are segmented into a billion different streaming services that i've started collecting movies/tv BDs/DVDs.
Also, back then you could go down to your corner video rental store and rent that shit for a dollar. That was still a complete waste of money when you could watch something completely new or something longer for the same amount of money. Shit, i didn't even do that, because I'd rather rent a video game instead. They were $3 more expensive, but i got way more entertainment from it
>>
>>10947897
I'm 35. I just didn't grow up in a household the made less than $30K a year like you did apparently. I had a 4 head VHS player, my parents were getting new PCs every few years so we always had at least one machine that was newer and another that was older, by the late 90s/early 2000s my father was using laptops, handing down hisnokder models to me. By like 2003 I got my own brand new laptop. I had the SNES, N64, GameCube, various Game Boys, and by early high school, started purchasing my consoles like the Xbox and PS2 on my own with money from whatever odd jobs I did around the house or neighborhood. I remember back in 2006 the only way I was even able to get an Xbox 360 in the first month or so was because I worked at Target at the time and was able to buy one before the store opemed.

You're not special subby and quite frankly, it sounds like you grew up kind of poor. Not like poverty poor, but definitely lower middle class if you're bragging about having a PC and VCR in the 90s lmao. But hey, if you need to cope by telling yourself I'm just some zoomers who is lying about all those things, keep telling yourself that. I can post my original SNES if you want me to.
>>
File: jumple of laptops.png (2.85 MB, 1299x1302)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB PNG
>>10947966
>dick measuring contest
My dad bought his first IBM in the 80s. We switched to buying Macs in the 90s. I bought my first TV in 86 to have in my room (30"). I had the NES, Gameboy, Genesis, SEGA CD, 32x, SNES, SS, PSX, N64, cdi, Dreamcast, PS2, GCN, PS3. My older brothers had their older consoles but stopped gaming by the NES cuz they were 2 cool 4 skool. My dad had a 60" projection TV complete with 4 speaker surround sound, which is why i eventually built my own modern set... twice over. So he actually had a 6 head VCR, while all the other TVs had 4-heads. I kept the last CRT my parents bought for their room, which is monstrous 36", and use a swiveling wall mount so that my 46" flatscreen can move infront of the CRt when i play/watch HD stuff.

Also
>moving goalpost on owning a computer and using broadband in the 90s to lower middle class
LOL, what a zoomer fag who watched Tangled 127 times. Most people can't even afford a PC today, despite being the cheapest they've ever been, because they can barely afford their smartphones. Stop lying about your age, because it's obvious you don't know what it was like to live in the 90s.

I don't know why you got so triggered by me shitting on shitty quality overpriced video tapes. If you were technically inclined AT ALL, we were waiting for digital since laser disc was shown off. We knew what quality looked like and that future tech was coming. VHS was seen as inferior and even my dad bought a fucking betamax because it provided the best picture. VHS was basically considered a convenient stepping stone for actual quality. This is why we got a cdi in the first place, because it was hailed as the future.

pic of my old ass laptops i no longer use because they're routinely replaced by the newest shit. Not pictured are my towers, because that's too much of an effort to dig out and move for coping asspies like you.
>>
>>10947997
This is a wall of cope lmao. Sorry that you grew up under privileged.
>>
>>10944830
20-30 dollars isn't a lot, stop being poor
>>
>>10947897
I find it ironic you're accusing me of taking info verbatim from a YouTube channel while posting ads you grabbed from a Google search.

Also love how you dismiss Nintendo Power, published by Nintendo of America themselves, because "years after." Yeah, about that. NP's first issue dates to summer of 1988 but it was a continuation of the Nintendo Fun Club of early 1987. Further, although the NES launched in October 1985, it was only in a handful of test markets and didn't go nationwide until fall 1986. So, you know, less than 6 months before the Fun Club. Not quite the cavernous time gap you think it was.

God is this what gamers are like these days? Suddenly I feel better about collecting toy robots.
>>
>>10947997
Jesus Christ its subby yet again
>>
>>10945706
>but I can't give stuff away to autists too cheap to shop Ollies
Best comment of the year!!!
>>
>>10946060
Sometimes it's nice to listen to experience and sage advice

Here's mine: Enjoy the current toy bubble because it's going to dry up for a decade with the Zoomer and Alpha generation that grew up on digital stuff during Covid. There isn't much that came out during their youth so their money is most likely going to be non-tangible stuff.
Here's hoping the post-Alpha generation takes notice of 80s franchises and we get to see our favorite stuff rediscovered in the 2040s.
>>
>>10948136
>Subjectanon
>Sage advice
Holy LMAO
>>
>>10946484
I feel for you lugging your stuff to shows and all. I miss the community but dislike the poor/autists looking for a deal.
>>
>>10948136
The same people you are meme-checking are the ones buying flip phones, and into Taylor Swift and Beyonce vinyl and so on....
>>
>>10948030
>I find it ironic you're accusing me of taking info verbatim from a YouTube channel while posting ads you grabbed from a Google search.
What's ironic about it? They're old ass advertisments from 1980s that show the prices. Proof is proof. You expect me to dig out my Next Generation magazines or the First Quarter book to prove the same thing? These stores directly advertising their stock is a better source than any well researched publication and only a video of someone purchasing it in 1985/86 or receipt from those years would be a higher authority.

>Also love how you dismiss Nintendo Power
If multiple store advertisements that sold the NES on its launch years contradict Nintendo Power, then either Nintendo Power is wrong or your memory is.
If you wanted to make an argument about this, then you should have posted the Nintendo Power that says it cost $200. But again, if it does say that, they're still wrong, because literal advertisements from multiple stores, across multiple regions are showing the prices. Prices that are enforced by federal law since at least the 1950s.

>>10948015
your dick is tiny, zoomer. The fact you even owned xboxes points toward you experiencing shittyass PC ports, because your poorfag pc couldn't run shit. Despite being a Macfag, i still made a PC in the 00s to play games like Enemy Territory and Homeworld.
>>
>>10946060
this
lmao does that guy think zoomers are buying toys? NEWSFLASH, toys ain't being bought up anymore. who does he think he's talking to? his inability to put a face to an anonymous post speaks more about his lack of social skills than anything else.
>>
>>10944830
what shop is this? also yeah owners are fucking retarded ass
>>
>>10948271
>Getting so mad he needs to resort to talking about my cock
Holy fucking shit, butt blasted! Goddamn subby. Keep making up grade school tier insults about me like how I'm supposedly a zoomer, have a small dick, and how your dad could beat up my dad. Lmao, you're in your 40s you sperg, try acting like it.
>>
>>10948315
holy ass blasting batman!
>>
>>10948271
>subjectanon bashing someone's PC hardware
>While posting from an iMac that he got in 2011
You can't make this shit up.
>>
>>10948315
>wanted to do a dick measuring contest
>loses
>buttblasted they call his dick tiny
LOL. Cry more, zoomer

>>10948335
Two of the laptops in my laptop jumble are newer btw. I stick to whats comfiest, hence not even using my newer desktops. I can't be arsed to transfer shit and my extreme airport still isn't full.
>>
>>10948346
Once again subby, if you need to tell yourself that I'm a zoomer, my dick is small, and that I'm actually poor to help yourself sleep at night, by all means. It just makes you look like a loser piece of shit with nothing going on in his sad pm pathetic life, that he feels he needs to try and one up people's childhoods from 30 years ago.

Grow up.
>>
>>10948346
Also, I love how you're retort boils down to "NO YOU'RE BUTTHURT!" Seriously, I'd think you were a literal child based on how you argue if I didn't know you were like 45.
>>
>>10945049
>stores snapping at customers perfectly reasonable statements is acceptable now
All he had to do was not fucking reply but he's a turbo gigafaggot who sits there reading his own Google reviews all day just to respond to them as if he's on Reddit.
>>
>>10948422
Leave a passive aggressive review, get a passive aggressive reply. Simple as.
>>
>>10946602

seriously if every whiny small store owner went to college or hell, got into politics, one of them could actually fix shit for themselves and their ilk. but nope keep trying to make Mike's Toyz work out for you when walmart bought out the country in the 90's
>>
My LCS is still trying to sell the Endless Winter DC McFarlane set at full price, giving it prime real estate right at the front of the store.
The closeout store nearby has them like 2/3rds off retail.
I tried to let the owner know that they aren't going to move and he assumed I wanted them and was trying to get a better price.
>>
>>10944841
>Specialty shops charge too much, don't buy front them.
>Also, I side with specialty shops.
???
>>
>>10945049
So store owners are the poorfags?
>>
>>10948479
If they sell comics, it's statistically likely.
>>
>>10948479
Do you guys think these businesses exist just to get you toys? They're a means for the business owner to make money. Has public education really failed that much that you can't figure that out?
>>
File: 1712550838228004.gif (70 KB, 400x294)
70 KB
70 KB GIF
>>10948484
Why would I care about how the sausage is made? Has nothing to do with me. I'm just letting you know why your wall of 4 year old pop vinyls of dead Netflix shows turned into a permanent fixture in your store, making the whole place real of out of touch business decisions.
People can literaly order shit from inside the store for cheaper and receive it next day. Is it seriously a business model that entirely runs off the good will and charity of regulars who don't mind being upsold?
Or are we going to be honest here and admit this is all about hoping a sucker comes by? Because if that's the case, you gotta get better at playing the game.
>>
I genuinely don't understand how these places that are still selling shit like Suicide Squad toys TODAY for 35 bucks are still in business.
Yeah I get that In theory your small shop has to sell this stuff for more to break even. But that doesn't seem to actually occur. So ultimately the prospect of a slightly larger margin of profit turns into a total loss.
Maybe this works better in rural areas but not when there's a Walmart or a GameStop near by.
>>
>>10948271
1. I don't take a date in the file name at face value if it's not in the print ad. Nothing personal, just too many Photoshoppers and now AI prompters out there.

2. I don't remember seeing, let alone shopping, Targets or Walmarts until the mid 1990s. KMart, Jamesway, Hills, Sears, JCPenney, Kay Bee, TRU, sure. Lots of other stores too. But man Target and Walmart didn't really show up here until Hills and Jamesway had crashed. Tail end of G2 or early Beast Wars. So little to no firsthand experience of them from the NES era.

3. It's always seemed to me that retail price and MSRP were within cents of each other. Maybe that's why I never got as butthurt about TRU's prices as many others did. They may have raised to MSRP where you lived but had been charging it all along here. MSRP is also what Nintendo Power would've printed. So I never saw the NES sold for $139.97. I remember $150 after ROB was gone, $90/$100 without a game (later added back in for various bundles), and $50 when the toaster/dogbone model came out.

So I'm perfectly confident in a $180 or $200 launch MSRP printed in my magazines and all over the internet.

Could be that stores didn't compete on the lowest end because Ollies started here. I also remember buying Atari cartridges out of a literal school bus that would park in the mall parking lot every other weekend for a few years. Retail definitely had alot more variety back then. None of this "every Walmart looks like a bombed out homeless shelter" bullshit we have now.
>>
>>10945049
Maybe don't create an environment where most of your customers think you see them as marks.
The real issue is most collectors now are aware of the going price on these kinds of things. Anyone who cares about imports probably knows what they actually go for, or can at least ballpark it. That fabled customer who loves Gundam but doesn't know your selling a HG for the price of an MG is an ever shrinking prospect.
>>
>>10948497
So yes, public education really has failed that much. Got it.
>>
>>10948512
>It's failing on purpose dad. It's trendy for LCS to fail!
>>
>>10944830
>Two poorfags fighting.jpg
Only reason anyone goes to brick and mortar anymore is if they are buds with the owner (obviously not the case here) or are hoping that catch the owner slipping.
Only reason anyone can hope to keep brick and mortar open anymore is by selling above retail, which doesn't really work on the average customer anymore, so they need to hold out for suckers.

Just buy shit online.
>>
>>10948497
There's upsold and then there's upsold. I'll pay a little more to keep the market from being just Walmart and Amazon because that's been exactly the disaster I was always told it would be. But then I know there are people that go batshit at paying $X.99 because Walmart charges $X.97. Those people are, quite frankly, penny wise and pound foolish. But you can't reason with them so I don't. They don't even realize Walmart and Target are doing the very thing they shrieked at TRU for doing - charging MSRP. Because they have no competition to speak of and look at what a shitshow distribution has become as a result. Congratulations.

As for selection, tightfisted customers screw that up too. I had to be very careful about what I ordered. No Pops for starters. Lots of times I passed up on TF and ML assortments because I knew I couldn't get enough for the good half of the case to make up for sitting on the bad half forever (which, besides destroying them for a tax credit, is the only thing you can do when even $5 is too expensive for customers). Niche products like SHF? LOL, some places you couldn't sell the DBZ stuff when they were only $25 and Sailor Moon 20th anniversary was a disaster. New IPs? Forget about that too.

Then people wonder why "scalping" is so fucking bad now. That's largely misdirected blame though. It's more people fighting over a shrinking supply at Walmart. Because Walmart is the only place many collectors will shop and they aren't too interested in selling toys. It's the market we collectively deserve unfortunately.
>>
>>10948517
>No Pops for starters.
>>
>>10948517
Forgot to mention, the other reason I passed on products was that I knew I'd receive them way too late to sell. There were really only two times that most toys would sell for any money. One was when they first come out and the other was a few months after they leave retail.

As long as a toy was supposedly available (a pure faith proposition now that Bricksee is broken) at Walmart for $19.97, good luck getting anywhere north of $12 for it. Not a great place to be in when the distributor is charging about $17.

The Hasbro-Walmart embargo really fucked up the front end of that range. Even though my Walmarts don't get anything, my preorders started getting pushed back as if they did. Frustrating as hell.

The back end is a double whammy of Ollies and reissues. Walmart and Target just hide toys in their warehouses now. When people are finally ready to pay MSRP from a small shop, they dump them on Ollies for pennies on the dollar. Then Ollies not only fucks you the week or two they have stock but for months or years afterwards as they set a very low ceiling on price long after they're sold out (see also Titan Class TransFormers).

But Hasbro (especially but Bandai and others do it too) in on the fucking now with so many reissues. Reissues, in the same market at least, used to be super fucking rare. Sometimes it's baffling where the demand even is, like how SHF Mario got reissued. I thought it was a good figure but they just did not move anywhere it seemed. Then along comes Bandai with a reissue? WTF? So the point is, you may _never_ get MSRP because people would rather pull a Jurassic Bark and die waiting rather than pay MSRP.
>>
>>10948533
If it was one or two things intermittantly, yeah, it would be annoying. But it's like the market just self sabotages at every possible turn. Landlords complain about vacancies but won't lower rent. Manufacturers complain about Walmart but won't sell to anybody else. Buyers won't pay retail for anything but complain about bare shelves, store closings, cancelled products, etc.

The small shop owner, at the end of the line of all this fuckery, is in a really difficult place, especially if they like the product they're selling. They don't want the market to collapse but they can't subsidize their customers forever either.

Everything I've turned to for entertainment in years past seems like it's on the verge of extinction. No toy stores, comic shops still shrinking, hard to buy a CD/DVD/BR anymore, disappearing movie theatres, one generation away from video games being subscription-only, etc.
>>
I wish BbTS was a store
>>
If you find it for MSRP at a retail giant, buy it.
If you can't find it in the wild, buy it on Amazon for slightly more.
If it's sold out on Amazon, buy it from an online specialty shop for a small mark-up.
If it's sold out there, too you'll have to hunt it down on eBay for the best deal you can manage.
If there's nothing reasonable on eBay, you can try to find a brick & mortar specialty shop that won't screw you too much.

If you can't find it anywhere for the price you think it's worth then you can't afford it. Nobody is obligated to meet your price, just as you are not obligated to buy something outside your price range. Get over it.
>>
>>10944830
>overcharge their products by 10-20 dollars for no reason.

Because Hasbro and other large manufacturers don't sell whole sale to you unless you're doing Wal-Mart/Target numbers in orders.

Small shops have to go through distributors meaning they can't sell at MSRP

>Boohoo I'm a retard and a poor fag and I refuse to understand the basics of commerce

If you don't like the prices don't buy, it's that simple. What are you even bitching about, it's not like Hasbro shit is hard to get your hands on.

All I'd ever buy at a Comic shop are comics, or maybe vintage stuff.
>>
>>10948504
>I don't take a date in the file name at face value
Look at the context then. What they're selling gives you the exact year that it was printed. ROB would be 1985 - 1988. Cabbage Patch Kids are 1980-1985. Selling Atari 2600 games are clearance prices? VG crash of 1983 till Nintendo exploded in 85 and 86. Commodore 128? 1985

Neverfuckingmind one of the ads has its date, month, day and year, printed on it.
I'm questioning if you were born in the 70s or 80s, because ads like those should be nostalgiatrips and exposing the layers of your brain year by year, remembering all the shit you saw in stores durign those times.
>too many Photoshoppers and now AI prompters
Are you really making shit up just trying to save face on a fucking anonymous board? Fucking retarded
>Target and Walmart didn't really show up
I don't remember Walmarts until the 90s, but Targets were plentiful. You're probaby on the east north coast. Walmarts were a southern thing and it took a while for them to expand to all of the USA. Target was midwest and same shit
>I'm perfectly confident in a $180 or $200 launch MSRP printed in my magazines and all over the internet.
LOL, sounds like you FINALLY looked shit up, instead of relying on your halfassed memories of a youtube video you watched a year ago.

Pic is a magazine talking about the NEW bundle, AFTER the staggered launch, where they're doing 2 seperate bundles. Core release with just Mario and the ROB "deluxe" bundle. Lines up with what i said earlier, about my friend's dad not wanting to get the ROB version.
My memories of the 80s are great, while yours probably don't exist.

>>10948406
>coping and crying to every response
>probably only making a response because you want to get back at me for whatever i said decades ago
>holding a grudge for how many years?
>not butthurt
lol
You're as bad as lying about what was going on in the 90s as you are pretending not to being buttblasted, zoomer.
>>
>>10944830
If you can buy it for cheaper elsewhere, why are you crying like a poorfag?
>>
>>10949088
Once again, I'm sorry you grew up in a lower middle class household. Seems like a real sore spot for you.
>>
File: tickle me elmo riot.jpg (124 KB, 1074x700)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>10949134
Nah, I just don't like dumb zoomers trying to talk about shit they know nothing about.

It's like if you claimed the N64 was $250 at launch and Tickle Me Elmo didn't come out until 2001 (both were the biggest holiday items for 1996).

Shit was nuts. People fighting over Elmo dolls, made worse than the Cabbage Patch Kids riots of 1982 by 24/7 news media making people more paranoid than ever.
With the N64, they were so hard to get, retailers were cashing in by forcing bundles onto consumers. I remember being online and the nerds were super pissed and swearing off nintendo, despite nintendo having no control over shitty store tactics.
I vaguely remember another console had the same shit happen.

Seriously, that shit was so bad that even adults without children wanted them for themselves. This was pre-ebay, so scalping wasn't widespread. So it goes to show that people read about this advertisements pretending to be news and just want it for no real reason at all.
>>
>>10949143
We get it subby, you existed in the 90s. So has the majority of this board. Stop being such a a self centered creep. It's gross.
>>
>>10949146
>gets buttblasted when corrected about his non-existant memories
>calls other people self centered
oof
>>
>>10944830
you gave him 2 stars, youre lucky he didnt slash ur tires
>>
>>10949148
You're insufferable
>>
>>10949088
>>I'm perfectly confident in a $180 or $200 launch MSRP printed in my magazines and all over the internet.
>LOL, sounds like you FINALLY looked shit up, instead of relying on your halfassed memories of a youtube video you watched a year ago.
I'm not the anon being nasty to you but keep shrieking about YouTube like a nutter. For crying out loud, I graduated from college before it was launched.

>because ads like those should be nostalgiatrips
Yes and no. I remember the toys. But I had a TV with cable so I saw more commercials than print ads. Nintendo Power didn't have ads like other magazines and I didn't really get into comics until manga took off in the early 2000s. Where would I get exposure to print ads? The newspaper? Not every store put fliers in every paper. Kay Bee was _the_ toy store in these parts (though we have an Ollies that still has the battlements from Children's Palace), so if it wasn't their ad (and it rarely was), I wasn't tuned in.

>My memories of the 80s are great, while yours probably don't exist.
Why, because I grew up in the northeast? Come on, man.
>>
>>10949143
>This was pre-ebay, so scalping wasn't widespread.
Individual scalpers didn't have the reach but you're crazy if you think scalping wasn't widespread. Flipping just happened in parking lots, flea markets, and comic conventions. But since we didn't have the internet or cell phones, if you weren't in the know, conventions flew right under your radar.

The closest I ever got to a comic convention in the 20th century was when I'd hear from a baseball card dealer at the flea market that there was going to be a card show in the local mall. Dealers would set up in the walkway running down the middle for a weekend and bring stuff I'd never seen before with my card options being limited at retail. I was fond of Topps Stadium Club but good luck finding them anywhere.

I also had a highschool friend who desperately wanted to go to this new convention called Otakon. No idea how he heard of it. He was just the type that seems to know a guy. Well he moved away a few months before graduation but five years later I did finally get to that Otakon. The 4chan panel was a blast. Raptor Jesus "married" half a dozen memes that day.
>>
>>10949246
>For crying out loud
Blah blah blah. You're a faggot for arguing for the sake of arguing. You trying to save face, hence your stupid conspiracy theory that I planted AI images across multiple domains that can be easily googled 20 years ago to prove myself right or whatever bullshit you need to make up.
Fucking retarded. I must have hit the mark when i said you got your info from youtube, because you didn't want to source any of your bullshit and only now say "it was totally $180 or maybe $200", because you actually found a good source today that's not from youtube. Too bad you already wrote all that shit about how you totally remember the prices from 1985 and how ROB disappeared by 1986.
Can't take back what you said without sounding even more full of shit.

>But I had a TV with cable so I saw more commercials than print ads
Embarrassing. Were you parents that uneducated or were you such a TV couch potato? Maybe both? Newspapers were still very popular in the 80s, so there was morning AND evening editions. Each one was gigantic and full of ads. Nevermind the mail was full of advertisments too.
It was literally impossible to not see ads for your local toy stores and national chains, unless you lived in bumfuck nowhere.

>because I grew up in the northeast?
Bitch, please. IF you looked at any of those ads, it clearly shows the New York area being one of the first places the NES was launched. Another of the ads is in Texas, also part of the original NES launch. Who knows where the Target one is, but we can safely assume it's midwest.
So the NES got a wide launch, just over a longer period of time, which was common back in the 80s and before anyway. National launches weren't common until the 90s anyway, where not every big movies had them like they do today.

Please just claim you live in Bumfuck, Nowhere. There's no shame in living so isolated from the rest of the country. I bet it was comfy too.
Save face this way, instead of making more shit up.
>>
>>10944830
Pay what it's been valued at by the secondary market or try to find it for less. Don't cry about it.
>>
>>10949265
I've been going to conventions since the 80s. I haven't missed a single SDCC since 91.
Flea markets were mostly shit, because most of the 90s it was just comic book speculation, then speculators who were drowning in 99¢ comics, and rarely toys. The few toy vendors were mainly star wars crap and it's nowhere near as bad as today.

I remember the early days of the cheapassgamers forum. i was able to get into various super cheap finds back in the day. As that community grew, it became waaaaay harder to find deals, because people who lived closer would zoom in within minutes of reports. In the early days, deals would still be found for days albeit picked of the choice stuff. Then later it got so bad that some threads became private, so only members could enjoy the deals. And people on the forum started getting angry, because before it was actual fans who got the deals, but there was a growing list of members who were really just scalpers hawking shit on ebay.

Now everyone and their grandmother is a scalper. I haven't been able to hit second hand shops for the past decade without seeing assholes scanning barcodes. Fucking smartphones and normies ruined everything. Youtube especially fucked everything up. Can't even pick up a CRT for free anymore (i wouldn't, since i have a great gigantic 36" crt, but /g/ bitches about this) and amazon trash boxes are seen as fucking gold by resellers.

Seriously the fucking scale is insane compared to how it used to be. You have no fucking idea.
>>
>>10949265
>>10949318
OH FUCK, i forgot to mention that last part in my post
>So it goes to show that people read about this advertisements pretending to be news and just want it for no real reason at all.
I forget if it was 20/20 or some other "newsmagazine" TV show, but they interviewed a couple of people who weren't buying Elmos for their kids, didn't like toys, and weren't even fans of Sesame Street. They said they only bought it because it was shown on TV so much.

The fucking news doesn't report on suicides enough.

And if you don't know, suicides go up when they do, because fucking idiots imitate anything they see on TV.
>>
>>10949318
>>10949399
Why do you insist on telling us your life story? Are you really that fucking lonely?
>>
>>10949500
This reads like a bot posted it.
>>
>>10949295
>>because I grew up in the northeast?
>Bitch, please. IF you looked at any of those ads, it clearly shows the New York area being one of the first places the NES was launched.
Ah, yes, the old "gradeschoolers today have cellphones and YouTube channels so every 80s kid in rural Ohio summered in NYC" argument. Did you also get your first job by walking right into the CEO's office and giving him a firm handshake? Because that's about the level of Boomerism you're approaching with every subsequent post.
>>
>>10949439
Because we're better than you browns.
>>
It's funny because there's the 80s/90s as it actually was and then there's the 80s/90s as depicted by the adults in Hollywood writing Saved by the Bell. Even then I thought shows like that were bullshit.

So back to "but the NES was out in NYC!" Man, does anybody realize how far away that is when you can't drive yet and/or don't have your own car? You might know that the world, in abstract, is big but _your_ world is quite small.

One of the great things about the 80s and even the 90s is that we still had local retail. Small towns had a KMart or Hills, a hobby shop of some sort, malls (with two toy stores) were common (but not enough to spend every day after school hanging out at the food court - fuck you Saved by the Bell). Seemed like lots of stuff even if you didn't get everything right away. Late 90s and the net come along, suddenly more info is out there and Ebay gets big and sky's the limit.

But it becomes a curse as retail recedes only now you _know_ what's late or short or missing or unobtainable. Which is where we are now. No wonder collectors are so miserable. FOMO to FOMO, flip to flip, it's no way to live.
>>
>>10949762
holy fuck, retard. Ohio isn't northeast, and as I pointed out and exampled in the ad images i've posted, Nintendo's launch was staggered and was reaching the mid-west (like ohio) and texas area in 1985. So it was pretty far reaching

Here's NES launch getting into Calfornia.

Again, just admit live in bumfuck, nowhere, without access to TRUs and that you were lying when you said that the NES was $200 in 1985 and also lying when you claimed ROB was gone by 1986.

In short, admit you're a fucking lying retard.

>>10949499
>talking about the state of scalping and what was on tv is their life story
lol wat
Fucking zoomers and their What-Is-American-Culture?_Disney_Apple_McDonalds_Star_Wars_Nike.jpg mentality
>>
>>10950092
Didn't say I lived in Ohio. Learn to read.

Oh look, another undated ad, this time from California and a chain of "superstores" I've never heard of. Who the fuck sells stuff with a trailing 65 cents? Smells like a sale price. Typical retail move. So I tied an onion to my belt, because it was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel. And in those days, nickels had bumblebees on them. "Give me five bees for a quarter!" you'd say...
>>
>>10950133
>illiterate retard telling another person to learn how to read
Not even funny.

Everything you're shitting out has already been addressed. Dates, locations, prices.

Yet you're still making shit up, because you want save face on an anonymous message board.
Nothing you've ever said has been backed up with an ounce of proof.

>oooh, but i never heard of this single chain store that serviced thousands of square miles worth of people in a single state, so that means no one could have possibly have known the NES launched at $140 and say that means I'm correct to say it was the $200 i heard about on youtube
Fuck off, retard.

pic of how even rednecks in flyover states like Missouri were hosting tournaments to popularize the NES launch. Sad how even these rednecks are literate enough to support a newspaper, while you and your parents are illiterate couch potatoes who never read a newspaper in their lives and couldn't understand mail advertisments.
>>
>>10950178
>NUH UH, you're a big fat LIAR
I refuse to believe you're a 45 year old.
>>
>>10950241
>reducing the only person providing proof for everything he says to "nuh uh"
Sure is a retard-who's-backed-into-a-wall's defense.

Amazing you went from being so sure and positive about what you said and now you're just all shit after being confronted by half a dozen sources.
gonna go back to pretending they'er all AI shoops that i planted over 20 years on random internet websites, because i knew this was going get into a fight with a downs syndrome git that has maybe 10 years left to live?

Also, I'm not 45. who even said that?
>>
File: FAAAAAZVQA8YrFB.jpg (73 KB, 687x600)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>10948479
Bet their margins are shit in the already dying industry that is small retail. Explains why they have to do markups.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.