[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_7678.png (1.93 MB, 999x1041)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB PNG
What’s on the workbench, /toy/?

Sculpts, castings, 3D prints, dioramas, mods, kitbashes, and repaint are all welcome!

Post WIPs, finished projects, ideas, techniques, ask for advice, and most of all, have fun!

HELPFUL TIPS:
-Invest in a rotary tool such as a dremel for sanding/sculpting, especially a flexible extension tip.
-Pin vises for drilling holes can be found at hobby stores like Hobby Lobby and are great for making peg holes.
-For soft, flexible parts get Sugru silicone putty and Oyumaru
-Hardware epoxy putties such as Waterweld, KwikWood, and PlasticWeld are similar to milliput, greenstuff, and apoxie, can be cheaper some times, and can be found at local hardware stores such as Lowes, Ace, and Home Depot.
-Bootleg figures make great custom-fodder, especially if the legit figures are pricey.
-Body-chan/kun, Figma Archetype He/She, Romankey x Cowl, and Sozai-chan/kun are great base bodies for import-style human characters.
-For 3D models to use for editing, the following sites are good to bookmark:
cgtrader.com (free and purchasable models)
cults3d.com (free and purchasable models)
models-resource.com (FREE 3D game models)
turbosquid.com (free and purchasable models)
grabcad.com (free and purchasable models)
renderhub.com (free and purchasable models)
>>
File: IMG_1845.png (2.11 MB, 1358x1238)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB PNG
Redesigned this icons Deathstroke for the third time. Wanted to modernize him without ninja-fying it and maintaining the hunter aesthetic
>>
File: IMG_20240325_115712.jpg (2.72 MB, 4624x3468)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
I'm just printing statues now, articulation soon™
>>
File: IMG_20240324_082413.jpg (1.92 MB, 3121x2951)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
Would anons be interested in little armory style 3d prints? I've been thinking about selling them in the /bst/
>>
File: IMG_4424.jpg (275 KB, 1600x675)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
If you don’t have any new projects, feel free to repost any tutorials from older threads.
>>
>>10934401
I think you should put up a few listings on a few sites and see if you get any views and responses. /bst seems to be very hit and miss, I have things I could sell there but personally it feels like too much production for what I would save in EB fees and the fact that it's not like NEED the money, however that's my own personal situation and I can appreciate that others might have other needs, etc.

Also, I would look into some non-standard military guns - for example, I've had plenty of luck finding a pistol I can use for a second hand Marvel figure that I picked up without that accessory (and doesn't really need it to pose well so why go to the EXTRA extra expense).

But I also have a 50s character that's rare that comes with a jet pack and a silver ray gun, that's missing the ray gun and I could probably get an extra $10 or more for him if I resold him with a $3-5 ray gun. And that's a type of weapon I never see posted anywhere.

Also things like bows, and possibly more specialized armory type equipment might sell?
>>
File: IMG_1411.jpg (2.59 MB, 4032x3024)
2.59 MB
2.59 MB JPG
I was going to make a custom dwarf, but the head I bought is huge. Are all dwarf heads this big?

Anyone have a mythic legion dwarf they can pose with a ruler
>>
>>10934295
is that motherfucking Diablo
>>
>>10935992
Nta, but yeah. Anon lightly modded and repainted a Hammond Collection Ceratosaurus
>>
File: IMG_1717.jpg (1.54 MB, 3021x3848)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
Thinking for my next project, I want to make a Dead By Daylight Huntress in 1:12 scale, still sorting line details and the such, but the only real help I need is finding a line that has a shirt piece with the proper lines down it. Everything else won’t be a big deal, that’s my only real hurdle. I’ll do a follow up post with what I mean. Pic unrelated, my first time posting in this general and I wanted to put in a recent project
>>
File: IMG_1718.jpg (1.02 MB, 1284x1448)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>10936203
Not all too worried about the sleeves, more just the shirt itself. If anyone has some pointers, I’d greatly appreciate the help
>>
>>10934295
What figure is that T-Rex from?
>>
For the anons who regularly do 3D prints here: what software do you use to sculpt and work on your models? While I've had some past experience with digital sculpting, I kinda wanna know what people are using nowadays based on their own experiences with 3D printing and the pros/cons they've encountered.
>>
>>10936216
It looks like a modded Hammond Collection Ceratosaurus by Mattel.
>>
>>10936286
SolidWorks 2014 Edition. Mind you, I’m a drafter for my job and took out a loan to buy the $4K software, so it’s more that I got into the hobby AFTER having the software.
-tons of free video tutorials on YouTube for how-to’s.

>Pros:
-rather intuitive compared to some other CAD programs
-has multiple features including structural strength/weakness scan of model to show where parts may be too thin
-able to do precise measurements for things like pegs, sockets, etc.
-capable of manual and automatic conversion of STL/OBJ files to CAD surface files for reverse-engineering

>Cons:
-Expensive, no free edition
-requires a different approach to designing organic shapes than 3D sculpting software typically does
-automatic conversion of meshes to surface format is not without its hiccups and limitations, requiring many times to take longer correcting surface errors than manually creating surfaces over a mesh.

If you can get SolidWorks for cheap and have use for it beyond just making figures as a hobby then go for it, but there are better options for less if you aren’t CAD-minded for making things in 3D.
>>
>>10934295
Gor any more pics of that cusotm Caleb?
>>
>>10936585
>took out a loan to buy the $4K software
Then you are the most retarded human being I even heard about.
Dude it may surprise you but in the real world everyone just pirate everything they can. Nobody's gonna spend even a single penny for software if they can get it for free. Especially just for 3d sculpting.
Anyway my condolences for your mental illness.
>>
>>10936598
Eh, this was before subscription software was a thing for SW and the loan was just using my credit card when I had no more debt and activated a 12-month of 0%APR while still getting cash back options. I understand the point of getting pirated software, but there wasn’t a cracked copy of SW2014 at the time (might be now, but at this point it doesn’t matter).
>>
>>10936585
Thank for the info anon. Looking around it seems like Blender and Zbrush are common favorites go-tos, but I'm always open to check out alternatives so it doesn't hurt to hear what others are using for their customizing.
>>
>>10934401
>selling
Kys
>>
File: cg-Customs-General-OP.png (581 KB, 1000x1000)
581 KB
581 KB PNG
Whoah! i'm that same anon that made that Busta Swordsman CJ! i also made that OP image, seems a bit cluttered, here! have a new one!

If anyone wants a different text color just let me know
>>
>>10934401
I would consider buying the STL's in like cults or other model sites, sometimes shipping and handling is terrible where i live but i do have a halot printer! which is nice!
>>
>>10936286
I used to model using Maya years ago. I couldn't do that today.
Anyone use Creo Parametric? I know how to use that, but I would think modeling anything organic would be extremely difficult though.
>>
>>10937634
I worked at a company that used Creo and…yeah, not a great software in terms of intuitiveness (I wasn’t the only on in engineering/design that hated the software). In my off-time during lunch I attempted to fiddle with it making some mid-complex organic shapes (basic design of a xenomorph head) and it was a nightmare just trying to make a simple loft feature that is a rudimentary thing to do in SolidWorks and Autodesk Inventor (current employer uses the latter and it’s better than Creo, imo).
>>
File: New Canvas.jpg (436 KB, 2150x792)
436 KB
436 KB JPG
Working on a kit to turn headmaster Soundwave into Grandus, halfway done so far.
>>
what's the best way to remove factory-applied paint, specifically from Transformers?
>>
>>10936585
>>10936598
if he uses it for actual work you can't really pirate it or you run the risk of getting fucked. I've pirated it myself but if I was doing commercial work with it either my company would pay or I'd pay if I was freelancing.
>>
>>10939813
Alcohol. Soak the parts, use a toothbrush or melamine foam to scrub off the really stubborn stuff. Don't use alcohol on translucent plastic, though, it is likely to cause cloudiness and make it even more brittle. For that, the foam, elbow grease, and patience are the best option.
>>
>>10939843
>melamine foam
what is this and where do I get it
>>
File: 171227099175626258.jpg (101 KB, 894x890)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>10939847
It's the technical name for sponge erasers. They are extremely finely abrasive, leaving only microscopic scratches. This makes the material ideal for scrubbing paint off toys, as even the finest grit sandpaper would likely leave scuffs on the plastic. Go to the cleaning aisle, don't bother with name brands, it's all the same material.
>>
>>10934401
Pre-printed ones probably not, but if you can sell .stls on Cults3D for a sensible price I will buy them.
>>
File: 34-o.jpg (293 KB, 1456x1138)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
Does anyone know where I could get a sakazuki cup that's gigantic for 1/12 scale? i'm working on a rikuo nura and i think that would be a cool accessory to add on
>>
>>10934799
Link to what was used to make this??
I'd love some skullgirls figures
>>
>>10941011
I think it was either a garage kit or a chopped up statue. I wasn’t the one who made the tutorial.
>>
>>10941023
Fuck this hurts deep....
I just found out they did 3 of the other girls too. Never having these is pain. Another huge missed opportunity by figma. Seriously wtf is up with this company. Dont they want money
>>
Something about double hinged joints just bothers me and I'm not entirely sure why. Is there any way I can get a decent-looking knee or elbow joint with at least a 160° range of motion with just a single joint?
>>
>>10941262
You could go the figma/Revoltech/etc route with a ball joint that bulges out and the limbs have relief cuts to allow such a range of motion.

Alternatively, the old/new revoltechs use hinges with relief cuts (see the older Revos like the Frauleins and newer ones like Mikasa and Kuroko)
>>
>>10941308
Misaka, not Mikasa.
>>
File: file.png (222 KB, 800x800)
222 KB
222 KB PNG
>>10941308
I don't really like the look of those figma/Revoltech joints either. Some relief cuts could work, but I was wondering if it was possible to make something more like a sliding and rotating hinge
>>
>>10941378
Theoretically maybe. Depends on figure size. The only issue I can see with that type of joint is that you may not get the full 160deg of articulation based on how much of each half needs to be ‘stored’ in the thigh and shin. Possibly another issue is the complexity of the design for such a small piece might not be as effective of holding a pose as traditional joints. At least for 3D printing such a system would be tricky.
>>
>>10941309
Mi kasa is your kasa, homie.
>>
>>10941559
>>10941309
kek
>>10941262
The way the Toa Heavy Industry Synthetic Human figure does the knee joints looks pretty good imo. You will get a bigger knee cap but there may be a way to make it less obvious.
>>
>>10941007
>Does anyone know where I could get a sakazuki cup that's gigantic for 1/12 scale?
maybe in a Rement set, some of these fit 1/10 more than 1/12
>>
>>10941994
i've been lookiing through rement sets and i haven't quite found anything right yet
>>
>>10941007
What about a 1/6 scale doll teacup set?
>>
>>10941994
How big you want it? like the one shanks used in one piece? you could just get it printed honesty, much cheaper, really good finish if you use resin
>>
what kind of paint is "good" and what kind of paint is "bad"
is there a guide to paint beyond "thin your paints"
I think maybe asking the 40k general on /tg/ might be useful since they seem like an autistic group that paints a lot
>>
>>10943849
>I think maybe asking the 40k general on /tg/ might be useful since they seem like an autistic group that paints a lot
yes.

most of what's recommended here is for spray painting btw
>>
>>10943849
>autistic group
goes without saying on 4chan anon
>>
>>10943849
if you thin your paints that's "good", if you dont do it that's "bad"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3p_VuPIS2c
>>
>>10943849
In broad strokes, paint is just particles of pigment suspended in a liquid medium. Hobby paint tends to have more consistent particle size/shape and a greater pigment to liquid ratio than your typical department store paint. In practical terms, this means being able to paint more with less and more even overall coverage.

The point of thinning your paint is making it more workable. Take a pot of paint and dab a bit on a flat surface. If it flows easily, then you're probably good to go as is. If it sticks to itself like a glob of glue, thin it down. Make sure not to add so much that it becomes a wash instead.
>>
File: PXL_20240409_015841322.jpg (1.35 MB, 2268x4032)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB JPG
We are crabs and also people
>>
>>10944283
At least they aren’t metro-sexual.
>>
>>10944171
but surely there are different types of paint? Like a high quality import figure paint doesnt just instantly scratch off, but a cheapo figure has paint literally flake off sometimes
>>
>>10944385
Lot of things could factor into why that is. Imports are probably more likely to have had gone through the expense of being top coated to protect the paint.
>>
isn't there a site that converts created characters into custom dc multiverse or marvel legends figures
>>
>>10943849
First rule of customizing action figures is, use acrylic paints. Most action figures are made of PVC, but enamel paints don't cure on PVC -- they'll always be sticky. Enamel paints are supposed to be used on model kits made from polystyrene. But I still haven't got a straight answer about whether I can use spray lacquer on PVC.
>>
File: ObsidiusWIP.jpg (2.33 MB, 3056x3056)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
"Monsterverse Obsidius" inching closer to completion.
Working on making the legs more sturdy and thick, modifying the arms to give it a more "Rocks being held in place with magnetism" look.
>>
File: idkwhytheimagefellover.png (1.06 MB, 746x749)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>10944481
>>
File: IMG_7738.jpg (937 KB, 2276x3834)
937 KB
937 KB JPG
Finally finished PM-MFR-01 (Protomorph Mature Female Robust, 1st version), my SFW blank fat-chick. The figure finally arrived and while the joints are tighter this time around due to SLS tolerance-varying by +/-.15mm on my designs, it all assembled well and shouldn’t be getting loose-joints too soon. Currently my desktop which has the files (individual and the print that is ready-to-go for Sculpteo) is in storage due to a recent move, but hopefully I can get it onto my Cults3D page within a few weeks.

I made the face more anime-proportioned compared to the NSFW OC character I showed last time, and made its overall features comparatively easier on the eyes than my OC’s was. Once I get my desktop set up again a ‘bigger’ version of the chest will be designed to give the figure a more cello-physique (think like some of the fan-art of Pochaco or Gyanko). The ready-to-print model also includes experimental adaptors for some Figma-style heads (see next post).
>>
File: IMG_7739.jpg (966 KB, 2051x3585)
966 KB
966 KB JPG
>>10946372
Kuroneko head with adaptor.
>>
>>10946372
>>10946374
based and chadpilled
>>
>>10946372
m-mom?
>>
>>10946374
Pretty based. What’s next, skilled degenerate?
>>
>>10946851
>What’s next?
Bigger boobs. Maybe articulated similar to Second Axe’s Shizue or Asagi. MAYBE a preggo belly.

After that, next project planned is a petite body similar to the small Sozai-chan but with an alternate hips/waist pieces for a boy version (shortstack-anon beat me to the chase on both). For all these bodies, the SFW body will be sold on Cults3D but the NSFW ‘upgrade’ parts will be free.
>>
I've been looking to mod my Snail Shell Assassin (specifically swap out the heels) and have two questions:

Is it actually possible to remove the base feet, or would I have to do some kind of wizardry to do that?

There's a 1/12 Booth replacement I found that would be ideal: https://booth.pm/en/items/1108211

I know its both 1/12 but are Snail Shell products very different from Megami Device in terms of connectors? I would hate to have to figure out how to get it here, and then find out its not compatible...
>>
File: thumbnail_IMG_4821.jpg (579 KB, 1440x1920)
579 KB
579 KB JPG
>>10934295
I'm the Joel anon, thanks for including the pic! I made some changes to match the look in the game + the look in the show. I used some parts from the lim toys set (wanted to get the whole pack but its crazy expensive nowadays) and some of the stuff I used on the first iteration.
>>
File: knee bend.jpg (1.04 MB, 1350x1600)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>10941378
>>10941545
That's exactly what I did in pic related. But you'll only get a 120-140 degree bend because, like anon said, there's only so much of the joint you can store inside the thigh and shin.
>>
>>10949298
I'm pretty sure I've seen your work before in previous threads. I think I'll make the prototype in 1/6 scale, so it could be big enough to fit. I was hoping for 160° and making skinnier legs would be enough.

Hadn't you been talking about starting a Patreon or something for a while now?
>>
I wonder how much MasterTurtle charges for a Dinosaucers figure.
>>
File: pikachu prototype.jpg (161 KB, 695x702)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>10949357
I reconsidered that and now I'm just going to do a massive dump of everything at once but it will take some time until I finish everything.

Next week I'll release an action figure of Pikachu as a test run to see how well it prints for other people.
>>
>>10934295
The bottom right picture is awesome.
What was the base for that Rick?
>>
>>10939580
Lookin good
>>
>>10949298
could you share more info about how this works please
>>
Is there an app that'll help with making a Marvel Legends or a DC Multiverse figure?
>>
>>10949495
It's the same principle as pic related >>10941378

The best way to rotate an elbow and knee joint is with the pivot point outside the sculpt, this is why revoltechs have bulging balls. To avoid this you need to have the parts slide around the arc of the joint rather than have them rotate at the pivot point.

This method maintains the shape but elongates the arm but it's not really noticeable. The double-joint method is way worse as it completely breaks the sculpt while also shortening the arm.
>>
>>10949298
Honestly I reckon that's "far enough". The extra range is nice and all but that's a fantastic bend for such a clean joint.
>>
>>10949298
Do you print these all in one piece?
>>
>>10949617
can the leg hold the weight of the figure without collapsing or does it need a stand to hold it up
>>
>>10950062
Depends.
I redesigned everything to work with UV resin and in my tests so far it's either too loose or too stiff. The good news is that both instances can be mitigated. If you're willing to put in a little post processing work you'll be able to get the joint exactly how you want it. But I'm still running experiments, I want to get to the point where it prints perfectly from the start.
>>
>>10950224
i made something similar years ago with a hinge pin/ratchet so the leg would'nt collapse on itself.
this has been my exprience with resin joints too
any chance you can share a crossection picture of the joint.
>>
File: story7.jpg (996 KB, 1994x2991)
996 KB
996 KB JPG
been working on a goth peko
>>
>>10944283
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdEco8OCiS8
>>
File: vXuL60_rkeY[1].jpg (433 KB, 1536x2048)
433 KB
433 KB JPG
>>10934295
>>
>>10949493
Thanks, I finished him yesterday,
>>
He does the 4 modes the original toy did.
>>
Posted the files for sale on cults3d, btw.
>>
Is this thread still bumpable?
>>
>>10955317
Where's his shoulder?
>>
>>10957039
Too expensive for me, maybe if the files were a bit cheaper.
>>
File: GLonU_pWsAAS_zp.jpg (198 KB, 1144x1526)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
Doing a Devilman custom 2.0. It kind of already looks good but I'm gonna do a lot more to it. Gonna have to do some sculpt work on the torso, add a tail, the wings will be changed, and paintjob.
This is the only time I'm glad McFarlane toys exist
>>
>>10961102
Looking good! Makes me wonder what a good base for an OG manga-style Devilman would be.
>>
>>10949577
What the fuck does this mean? What kind of app do you expect to help you make an action figure?
>>
>>10961776
Considering there's also this post (>>10944424), my guess is he's some dipshit AI goon who was waiting for someone to respond to him so he can shill some bullshit AI thing.
>>
>>10961806
Ugh, sounds like AI shit. You're right. But jesus, he can't even articulate what he's trying to ask for.
A site "that converts created characters"...? Seems like he's too stupid to even understand what AI is

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.