[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

So, what's the deal? I played MERP and Rolemaster 2e back in the day. Recently, I dipped into Rolemaster Unified, and I liked some things about it, while hating the art and having some criticisms of a few subsystems here and there. So, quite a while ago, I thumbed through a copy of HARP and... well, it didn't grab me. But I see there's a second edition now.

So, the new HARP. What's good, what's bad. How does it compare to HARP 1e? Specifically, what's different, and how much of a difference does it make?
>>
I get the impression I'm almost the only one here to have played any ICE RPGs, and I liked RM4 for its detail, and didn't get as much from RM2, and when I read HARP 1e it didn't grab me either, for obvious reasons. Anyways. Hopefully I'm wrong and a HARP 2e player comes along to give you a review.
>>
>>92598053
Merp + Spell law player/gm here
>>
There’s always Against the Dark Master for a different take on MERP.
>>
File: 460890.jpg (110 KB, 706x916)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
Play Fantasy Express instead
>>
>>92599767
So, just to clarity, I think the name of the newer edition is HARP Fantasy.
>>
>>92599767
Is it even the same kind of d100 roll over system, or is that an irrelevant system advert?
>>
>>92603186
Yes, it is. It uses a 2d10 though.
>>
>>92603219
>2d10
You mean one for the tens column and one for the ones column? That's how we played RM.

What's it offer over RM4? What makes it good?
>>
>>92603305
Nope, it uses the open ended roll with 2d10 instead of d100 and it's based on AtDM, which is based on MERP. It uses a FEAT table for damage and critical instead of one for each weapon. Skills are separated in Vocations, Backgrounds and Cultures. It has a commerce roll mechanic for abstract wealth. Also, it uses 2d10 so it has a bell curve for a more fair game.
>>
Huh. So MERP -> AtDM -> FX? What do AtDM and FX add? Or is it more like a slight rebalance with a generic setting, twice?
>>
>>92603405
Whoops. Forgot to tag you.
>>
>Firehawk Games
No thanks, I'm good.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.