[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/sp/ - Sports

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why is it so rare for a GOAT tier player to successfully transition to coaching? Really cant think of anyone but him and Cruyff
>>
People still forget that Ancelotti had an illustrious playing career.
>>
Deschamps had a monster career as player, monster career as coach as well. If he wins this year's euro he might as well be considered the most succesful coach of all time.
>>
Zidane is not a good coach
>>
>>140362293
Deschamps is a long step behind Zidane and Cruyff, both as a player and as a coach
>>
>>140362215
Cruyff turn
Half Zico
Goated
>>
>>140362215
Beckenbauer
>>
Alonso literally in his first season put them all to shame lol
Also beckenbauer you retarded fuck
Heynckes was also a top plaer in his time
Turns out you are just a zoomer idiot
>>
>>140362295
I know little about his managerial career but I get the feeling he coasted on a pre built team and money then fucked off before he was found out
>>
>>140362423
What color is Zidane and Cruyff world cup ?
>>
>>140362295
he also wasn't a good player
>>
>>140362539
wat
>>
>>140362539
what are you talking about? he literally buck breaks chicanos because he's better than penaldo and messi.
>>
>>140362230
Bald fraud used to have hair and be elite
>>
>>140362215
you can't tell if a coach is good if he was in only one club
>>
>>140362215
because coaching isn't the same as playing
>>
>>140362539
holy scatalan cope
>>
>>140362518
Idk but your colour is yellow
>>
>>140362215
When you're really good and you have people being shit, sometimes it's hard for you to understand why they're being shit and why they can't just play normally. If you get stuck on this it makes coaching people who are worse than you pretty difficult.
>>
>>140362215
there aren't that many goat tier players, plenty of great players are great coaches.

Guardiola won a UCL for Barca as a player.
>>
File: DmUN_3yXgAEGrrA.jpg (149 KB, 1080x1080)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>140362886
>today I will remind them
>>
>>140362215
Franz Beckenbauer won WC as coach and player, and won Bundesliga even with HSV. Won old CL as player and Uefa Cup as manager.
Alonso seems next desu. And once he retires,I think Müller will take up coaching.
>>
>>140362293
At no point in his entire playing career was Deschamps considered elite, he was a water carrier for better players as a great man once said.
>>
>>140363756
water carriers stay on the bench
>>
a bag of shit could slot in as the Real Madrid manager and get talked about as being one of the best managers of all time
>>
>>140364175
>breaking: rafa benitez compared to a bag of shit. how does this affect arsenal's title hopes?
>>
>>140362215
what about xavi and guardiola?
>>
>>140362215
Alonso, Beckenbauer, Deschamps, Luis Enrique, Bilardo, Rijkaard.
managers arent THAT important as you think guys
>>
>>140362449
Is Zico still in Japan? I haven't kept up with him in a few years. I've never seen the Jap league and am curious to watch some of their games.
>>
>>140364572
> GOAT tier player
>>
>>140362215
Coaching and playing require completely different skillsets
>>
>>140363208
underrated
>>
>>140365030
They can, but it's not a requirement. I grew up playing competition soccer and what really matters is the basics; conditioning, touch, and familiarity. Strategy for set plays is coached after those three are, and sessions usually lasted 3-4 hours every day. Finding people to actually put in the work when they're being paid millions of dollars and have other obligations for media shit can wreck a team just with the distractions alone.
Any good player will tell you all you have to do is play keep away, and move to space when you don't have the ball. That's it outside of set plays. The rest is knowing your team mates in a way that you don't have to think what they're going to do, you know, and anticipate. That part is very underrated, from experience playing for a club for multiple years with the same players, we beat the local community colleges as a u13/14/15 every year because we had already had multiple years playing together prior to that.
>>
>>140365260
you're a retard if you think managing a pro team and coaching kids is similar. not even fucking close
>>
>>140365314
what part of million dollar contract and media obligations did you miss?
Coaching a team how to play soccer is shit easy, it's all the other bullshit you have to deal with.
>>
>>140365349
stop blogposting and don't be a retard. no one cares about the kids team you coached and it has nothing to do with managing a real team
>>
>>140362295
>3 Champions in a row
Brainlet
>>
>>140365404
I never coached lol, do you even read? This sport isn't that complicated.
>>
Guardiola?
>>
>>140362504
zidane is a great coach and he did a wonderful job in the two periods he spent here
>>
Lampard
>>
>>140363756
>won two Champions Leagues with two different clubs, one World Cup and one Euro
>did so as a key player or captain, always starting all the games
>not elite

Meanwhile your “great man” has 0 Champions League, 0 World Cup and 0 Euro.
>>
>>140362215
Fat Frank comes to mind
>>
>>140362215
because they were the only ones to have tried
some of the names said here can be considered as great players in their day, club legends that can even be considered underrated today, but they were never among the true elite
Beckenbauer is the only other one that is in their tier, but of their tier i can only think of maradona as another who tried it, and hes the only one in 4 to have failed
>>
>>140379100
you do realise that this criteria works for Jose Bosingwa too right
>>
>>140380024
No it doesn't. Nowhere near as important to Chelsea and Porto as Deschamps was to Juventus and France. Wasn't captain, wasn't picked every game, and didn't win anything for Portugal.
>>
>>140380759
He played 90 minutes in both CL finals he won and winning with france is easy mode
>>
>>140362215
John Mousinho, top player and now top manager.
>>
How many trebles tho
>>
>>140362886
Guardiola was just above average
>>
>>140364572
>Xavi
GOAT midfielder but shit coach, Koeman-tier
>Guardiola
GOAT manager for sure, but only just good as a player

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.