[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File deleted.
When does a walk through the woods become a "hike"? I had this conversation with my friend and he was convinced a hike had to involve a mountain or at least a very hilly climb OR take multiple days to complete.
>>
>>2729744
It has to do with general difficulty. My grandma can take a walk with her walking stick, but she can't hike. But where exactly the boundaries lie is all subjective. A hike is a difficult walk. A trek is a multi-day hike (but for some reason people don't use "trek" but say "multi-day hike").
>>
when does it become a thru hike
>>
>>2729749
>thru hike
When you walk a long-distance trail from start to finish.
>>
>>2729751
*in one go, otherwise it's section hiking (hiking part of the trail, splitting it into sections)
>>
>>2729751
alright so what is a long distance trail? theres a 13 mile loop near me. is that a thru hike?
>>
>>2729756
I guess that's subjective too. We generally reserve thru-hikes only for massive trails, but I don't see a real reason why you couldn't call walking around your house a "thru-hike around my house", other than that it's clearly being silly.

It's honestly a retarded game, anon. "Nuh-uh, I didn't -hike- that trail, I thru-hiked it!" It's not a fun aspect of outdoor culture. Focus more on the experience, less on whatever bragging rights you think you can derive from something (or what you are and are not allowed to call something).
>>
>>2729764
Agreed. A thru-hike generally just means you start one place and end in another. A loop means you return to the start. Out-and-back means you walk to and back on the same route. Like take a 20mi section. If I say let's thru-hike it, we are leaving a car at both ends. If I tell you we are Out and back, you know we are walking back the way we came to leave. Could be a 2, 4day or could be a 40mi day
>>
Where I'm at a hike is basically a long walk you wouldn't do for a stroll (2+ hours) and that is not your well maintained path and maybe has some ups and downs.
Trekking here is difficult paths you need at least some physical fitness for and are more tough terrains like for example a small rocky path up a mountain.
A through-hike is a long distance hike (maybe with trekking elements) you can't do in one day which you do in on session.
>>
>>2729744
>When does a walk through the woods become a "hike"?
it's the same thing, anon. but calling it a walk through the woods doesn't convey to other people that you're an avid /out/doorsman, so they call it hiking, trekking or backpacking
>>
>>2729744
>a walk through the woods
You always take me to such nice places.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vDVDwgCQ6Qo&pp=ygUYSGFsbyAyIHdhbGsgaW4gdGhlIHdvb2Rz
>>
>>2729744
When you walk long and far enough that you need to be prepared with water and maybe food. Day hikes are a thing.
>>
>>2729744
Hikes involve nature and rugged terrain. Walks involve pavement and city noise. A walk can be 2 hours, and a hike can be 20 minutes. It's the environment that makes the difference.
>>
>>2729744
i say when you have to bring gear or shoes better than gym shoes.

walking through a forest preserve for two hours on a paved trail, is not the same as hiking up a dirt trial up a mountain for two hours.
>>
>>2729764
Easy way to think about it, a thru-hike is a trek long enough that you are required to stop along the way to re-supply your food.
I know there's people who will bring all their stuff for the whole trek, which can work on shorter trails, but most people will not carry all their food for anything more than a week. (Excepting sweaty larpers lugging bags of rice in their external frame pack)
>>
>>2729756
i'd say its any length that you cannot feasibly accomplish in 48 hours when accounting for rest and stuff. So basically a minimum of 2 nights camping. The type of route is secondary, but somewhat relevant. A point-to-point would be an obvious candidate for a thru hike, but I think even a very large circuit or out and back would also qualify.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.