[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: evangelionhonda.jpg (113 KB, 1110x832)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
Hallo.
About a month ago I changed my timing belt. First time ever doing it. I drive a 99 civic Si with a B16A2, four cylinder, yes it is interference.
The car starts but I don't think it's running very well. I haven't had a chance to look at my work since doing the fix.
I don't think my car is misfiring, but it does seem to run poorer and the engine bay smells like a lawn mower now. If I turn the fans on, it smells like exhaust after a while. My friend said it smells and sounds like an exhaust leak, but idk I never touched the exhaust so.

Any help is appreciated.
Here's what it looked like post change about a month ago:
https://youtube.com/shorts/H5VLVYbQw2c
>>
Did you seal the valve cover properly?
>>
>>27605257
Funny that you mention that. No, it is not sealed properly. I didn't replace the gasket, and actually snapped off one of the valve cover bolts (not a head bolt). I used a bunch of red RTV in lieu of a new gasket because I am poor. Yes I know this is a wrenchlet fix, it is temporary.
I still doubt this would cause any major leaks as all other 7 bolts are on as tight as they can be. But yes ONE of them is not.
>>
File: pcv.jpg (106 KB, 854x647)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>27605264
It could be that it's loose somewhere causing a vacuum leak. You'd probably see oil seeping out though.
Did you maybe forget to put the PCV hose back on? That would be simple.
My only other thought is the obvious one, maybe you turned one of the cams during the install and the timing is off as a result?
>>
>>27605291
Could be a vacuum leak...
I went ahead and just bought a new gasket, spark plugs, and a chinese low profile valve cover bolt kit. Only gonna use the one bolt, rest will be stock.
I never disconnected the PCV hose, that's the one attached to the valve cover right? Yeah, I couldn't get it off so I just draped the valve cover backwards. If it were damaged, it'd probably be from bending it so sharply, with it being old. Seems like a cheap fix though, is there a way to test for that?
>turned one of the cams during the install
They looked TDC when I put the belt back on, but that's what I'll check when I take the cover off. If the cams were off by even a few teeth the car would not start, so there's that. I originally used one of those cam lock gears but I think I bent the center rod that was aligning it a bit trying to get the pulley bolt off. Cams should be fine though. Like I said if something were majorly wrong, the car wouldn't start lol.
>>
>>27605291
Oh, I also need a new tensioner spring. The timing belt was tensioned by me with a crowbar. It doesn't really howl and you can see in the image it's relatively tight. But I might buy a new tensioner bolt and spring since that's supposed to tension it automagically for me.
>>
File: 1487634985388.png (113 KB, 229x259)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
>>27605312

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.