[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1857.jpg (622 KB, 2048x1365)
622 KB
622 KB JPG
I see these older NASCAR chassis come up for sale fairly often on sites like racingjunk. How bad of an idea would it be to buy one? The process for making one of these street legal is pretty easy in my state, and they usually run ~$30-40k for a good, complete one. I know they’re horrible cars to daily but I think the performance per dollar is awesome and it would be a good giggle-machine. If I got one with the original drivetrain (358ci engine, 4spd, etc.) is there any special maintenance or repairs I would have to pay attention to since it’s a race engine?
>>
>>27603232
>is there any special maintenance or repairs I would have to pay attention to since it’s a race engine?
Yeah, tear it down and rebuild it every time you fucking drive it.
>>
File: IMG_1859.jpg (156 KB, 1600x900)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>27603232
Paint it to look like this
>>
>>27603273
This; you gotta realize OP that race engines get their crazy amounts of performance by literally shaking themselves to death. Stock car racing isn't how it used to be where they were racing street technology. Ever since homologation ended, race-specific technology has been the name of the game, and that means a "power at all costs" way of thinking that creates engines designed to last the duration of one sprint before basically self-destructing and getting thrown out or literally re-tooled in order to be used again. They aren't meant to be dailied, they're meant to be driven as fast as possible until they inevitably kill themselves. The fate of every race engine is rattling itself to death.

If you want to keep the engine, expect replacing a lot of its parts in order to make it streetable.
>>
>>27603232
If you detune it to ~7500rpm or lower it’ll last a lot longer but then there’s no point to running the 358 over a regular SBC crate.
>>
>>27603275
CONTACT, WE HAVE IGNITION
REV UP IT’S ALL SYSTEMS GOOOOOO
>>
>>27603302
DAYTONAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>27603273
>>27603282
nascar engines have restrictors. why do they need to make "power at all cost" just to be restricted to the same 600 HP (less than the power of some production small blocks).
>>
sell the engine and put a turbo LS in there, or even better buy the rolling chassis, just make sure non of the welds of the chassis are cracking
>>
>>27603332
ROLLING STAAAAAAAAAAAAART
>>
>>27603282
>>27603273
Yeah that's not how it works
Race engines have such a short life because of how they are used, not because of their build
OP won't be sitting on the limiter for literal hours at a time so the typical longevity of a race USE engine isn't a consideration
>>
>>27603453
0/10
>>
>>27603458
>run at 9000rpm for 5 hours straight
>put around town for 5 hours drive time
I wonder which will result in an engine needing to be torn down and rebuilt
>>
>>27603459
what the Dunning-Kruger effect does to a mf
>>
>>27603437
Restrictor plates are only used on a few tracks where speeds become extremely dangerous (like Talladega).
The restrictor plate itself is just a drop-in piece that goes in the intake under the carb. So it doesn't require any other modifications or special engines to run at different tracks.
>>
Another problem is the gearbox.
Very tall gears, combined with a low-slip clutch and light flywheel, the car is a complete pain to launch from standstill gracefully and drive anywhere slower than 20mph.

If you just like the looks, replace the whole powertrain for an LS with TR6060 and have yourself a more normal car.
>>
>>27603465
what is wrong with what he wrote? I dun understand
>>
>>27603540
Nah, I’d drive it fine.
>>
>>27603451
WATCH THAT REDLINE ON THE TACH

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.