[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 7vert.jpg (434 KB, 1920x1280)
434 KB
434 KB JPG
>have rx7 vert similar to picrel, got it out of a barn for $60
>runs, drives, but has coolant problems so can't really be driven much
>coolant seals might be bad, but that requires a full engine teardown to check for sure and a rebuild done by a pro is ~$5k
>just want a drivable vert atp, don't want to spend a shit ton if avoidable

what's the move? trade it to some poor sap for a different convertible car? become a rotary mechanic and try to rebuild it myself? miata engine swap? electric conversion? open to ideas
>>
>>27602155
Why does your miata look old and weird?
>>
>>27602155
Just rebuild the motor if the car is solid otherwise. You paid 60 dollars for an RX-7, what else do you want? If it costs 5k, it’s a 5060 dollar RX-7 and you can barely buy anything that runs for 5k these days. Do it yourself and save a bunch, take your time and don’t fuck it up.
>>
As stated above, you got it for $60. This sounds like a fun project for you. Buy a shop manual or two and get on the rotary forums, whatever they are.
Or just sell it for $8k and buy a miata.
>>
>>27602284
think a rebuild is reasonable for a first-timer? I do brakes and suspension and stuff, but never anything like a whole ass engine before
>>
>>27602155
Join a rotary forum and buy a complete seal pack and do it yourself if money is an issue.
>>
>>27602293
if you do really thorough research and have some tools it's something you can do yourself. big word of advice though; don't take anything apart that you don't have the parts to reassemble. you will forget and lose shit, including the motivation to reassemble if its left to sit. stock all the parts you need before you do a teardown
>>
I thought I did good getting a 50" plasma tv for $20, I'll be that sap if you wanna swap.
>>
>>27602347
Are you my clone or something? I also got a 50" plasma for ~$20 (the price of some capacitors)
>>
>>27602352
Mine was working, just no base or remote or power cable and a bit dusty but is otherwise essentially flawless.
Everyone needs a smart 4k TV with several built in microphones and cameras to monitor you for advertising reasons for some reason and are just giving away dumb tvs because they don't come with netflix built into them. I only went looking for it because the last 50" cheap new generic flatscreen tv on jeff bezos bookstore got sold or became unavailable mid purchase and the order was cancelled so an upgrade to plasma for 1/10th the price was a huge score.
>>
Kek part it out and make that $5k from selling everything off of it and now you got $5k for free
>>
>>27602473
>Everyone needs a smart 4k TV with several built in microphones and cameras to monitor you for advertising reasons for some reason and are just giving away dumb tvs because they don't come with netflix built into them.
As a guy with zero TVs this blows my mind. Just get a PC and monitor. Holy shit how are TVs even a thing? You can get a Raspberry Pi for $30 that will do Netflix, and it's been like that for a decade.
>>
>>27602478
Yeah but end goal is a drivable convertible, unless your idea is to put that 5k towards a different car
>>
>>27602502
You can easily sell an FC with problems for $5k and buy a shitty miata.
>>
>>27602553
Shitty as in "put in some wrenching time" or shitty as in "rusty deathtrap"? Haven't kept up on the miata market
>>
File: 1713666974316065.jpg (100 KB, 1600x1200)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>27602155
Rebuild is simple but time consuming. I'd DIY it. Cool car.
>>
>>27602155
You bought a car for $60 so is a $5000 rebuild even that much of a big deal?
>not that it would be 5k if only seals needs replacing, 5k quotes typically include replacing housings and/or rotors
You'd be hard pressed to find any cool convertible for under 5k as well.
>>
>>27602485
How are TVs a thing? Not everyone sits at their desk all day long you cretin.
Also women and old people exist.
>>
>>27602602
IDK I haven't bought a miata since '08. But I assume for $6k or so a 30-y.o. car will need a bit of work. Like belts, gaskets, seals, water pump, etc. A lot easier and cheaper than fixing up a rotary which needs the same things and possibly more.
>>
>>27602752
>Not everyone sits at their desk all day long you cretin.
Boomers know what computers are. You can set up a PC and good monitor for less than a Smart TV and it does way more. You can even set it up just for watching shows in your living room. You can get a PC, keyboard, mouse, operating system, and 4K monitor for less than $400.
I know it's just what people do, but maybe it's a waste of money.
>>
>>27602750
5k with labor. 2k diy, but rebuilding an engine seems pretty intimidating to me if I'm being honest.
>>
>>27602155
>miata engine swap

LS swap.
>>
>>27602795
Watching media on a monitor is not the same as a good sized television screen.
Two completely different things.
It's like a gamimg laptop vs a desktop.
Not that I expect a junkie to ever understand something so basic.

>pc and 4k monitor for less than $400
Post this magical PC and 4k monitor of which both can be had for under $400.

Retarded junkie brain dead fuck.
>>
>>27602795
Nigger you can go to bestbuy right now and buy a Samsung 65" 4K TV for $399.
>>
>>27603054
>Post this magical PC and 4k monitor of which both can be had for under $400.
I have a Raspberry Pi I spent $30 on a decade ago with debian that can easily handle netflix and torrents. Screens are everywhere, I literally see 6 4K screens right now and only use one of them.
>>27603068
I didn't realize they were that cheap. I thought they were $800-3k.
I don't understand why someone would buy a Smart TV in this decade, or even the last. Just burn the money ffs.
>>
>>27602941
Can you do that on a budget? My grandpa has a Muncie 4spd knocking around and I could get a cheap 5.3 but I don't know the first thing about fab work for mounts
>>
>>27603084
>pi handles Netflix and torrents
How? My 3B+ shits its pants trying to run Kodi. Would love to have a Pi I can use as a streaming box for my garage TV so I can ditch having to use my laptop
>>
>>27603122
Mine's a 3B+ too, standard Debian, I've got some heatsinks and a fan added but it runs netflix in HD and can play CS:S low-spec just fine.
>>
>>27603127
Any idea if it would be possible to use a remote/gamepad as remote with plain Debian? That's my end goal
>>
>>27603127
>>27603137
>MUH LINOOOOX!
go back you ni/g/ger and realize how shitty your OS is and how nobody makes software for it that can be used by the masses.
>>
>>27603137
I'm sure you could config a remote, gamepad should be easy. I'm pretty sure I gamed with mine at some point with a controller. It's been a few years since I fucked with the thing so I don't know the deets.
>>
>>27603139
I hate /g/. I'm a software engineer, but my home is /o/. I haven't even seen /g/ in years. Linux is cool though, it's cheap fun computing, but I mostly use Windows like everyone else. I was running linux in the dial-up era, it's just another tool in the world and it's free so whatever.
>>
File: 1712207407466053.jpg (113 KB, 973x1200)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>Buy 80s RX7
>Don't expect to pay money to rebuild the engine
Huh
>>
>>27603084
Retard, all tvs are smart tvs now.
>>
>>27603189
My point is that all computers are TVs too.
When you buy a Smart TV you buy a screen that's trying to sell you content you can already get on your phone or PC (for free even, on PC). I just don't see the need.
Why spend money on a gaming PC and a TV when you can use that gaming PC as a TV?
>>
Pour coolant seal into coolant system
>>
>>27603209
Because your monitor is 24" and you're sitting in a computer chair.
>>
>>27603319
I'm sitting indian-style like and idiot (my knees!) on a bare foam pad on top of a mattress, thank you. I don't even have a desk chair. The only chair I have is in muh car.
>>
>>27603150
>w-well you paid $60 for a car, this is somehow a bad thing!
It's worth more than that in scrap metal alone, let alone parts, let alonr as a working car.
>>
File: 813478178241234.jpg (1.81 MB, 2666x4032)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
>>27602155
>>runs, drives, but has coolant problems so can't really be driven much
lol it's a 39+ year old car and probably still has the original intake manifold gasket and intake manifold o rings. those 40 year old o rings are bloated to shit and aren't working properly anymore. it's probably leaking coolant and adding air into the cooling system due to the intake manifold o rings, making the engine overheat in minutes. ask me how I know. so stop driving it and properly diagnose and fix the issue. could be a $20 in parts + your time and labor fix, or $5k for a new 13b + your time and labor
>>what's the move? trade it to some poor sap for a different convertible car?
if it overheats within minutes that next guy is just gonna kill the engine on his first and last drive. it's your call, but unmolested rx7s are incredibly rarer by the day. if you don't want it someone else will
>>
>>27602941
>>27603121
>Can you do that on a budget?

The actual install isn't going to be any more complicated than swapping in a Miata engine the engine itself is going to be more expensive though.
>>
>>27602155
what are your coolant symptoms, converitbro? also what is your fc's general condition?
>>
>>27602155
Wrenchlet. The Thread.
>>
>>27602925
>intimidating.
Think about it this way. You'll potentially pay 2,500 for a working Rx7.
If you fuck it up, then you lost $2,500. oh well.
In that case, sell it to some zoomer schmuck for a profit and be done with it.
It really boils down to how much you want an Rx7... If it's not worth a smaller profit margin, then just sell it now and stop being a wrenchlet bitch.
>>
>>27603469
Coolant overflows out the expansion tank. Doesn't burn it as far as I can tell. If I had to guess the coolant seals are bad on the exhaust side of the housing, so they let exhaust into the coolant but coolant doesn't get burned.
>>
>>27603735
>I don't want to rush into a full engine teardown and rebuild on an engine I don't have experience with.
>"muh wrenchlet!"
Were you born this 'tarded or did you get it from being dropped?
>>
>>27602155
>got it out of a barn for $60
i'm kinda jealous
everything here costs too much since boomers know that they will sell for more
>>
>>27603758
Who said anything about rushing?
And pray tell how you're supposed to get this "required" experience other than actually working on said engine? Let alone one that was only 60$?
You're a dickless wrenchlet that's probably too scared to do his own oil changes too.
>>
>>27603852
>projection temper tantrum
Sorry for being better than you, I know how insecure it makes you.
>>
>>27602925
Don't think about it. Just do it.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.