[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Chevrolet-logo (1).png (134 KB, 2560x1447)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
Post your Chevys (or GM) vehicles here boys! No Fords or Chryslers allowed and you better not import that rice shit to this thread here.
>>
haulin pussy
>>
chevrolets are fuckin gay
>>
>>27596977
Nah women love a man that drives a Chevy.
>>
>>27597019
Exactly, transwomen love chevrogays
>>
>>27597019
its not the 60s anymore, chevys and the rest of american cars are for poors and mexicans
>>
This is now a BMW thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP7tQnu2gmE
>>
File: 20240322_131733.jpg (3.87 MB, 3600x2579)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB JPG
repeal womens rights
>>
Scored the hood and grille off this poor specimen last week to replace mine
>>
Alright, I'm new to this board but this is kind of a one-off question and I think this is the best thread to post it in:

I'm a leaf that does a lot of backwoods camping and hunting. I'm tired of driving around a tiny Asian sedan, and borrowing a vehicle from my friends when I want to go fucking around in the woods on Forest Service Roads and questionable muddy dirt roads out on the prairies. I'm just coming out of university, I no longer need a tiny car that can navigate tiny inner-city streets and parking but I don't have a huge amount of money to throw around.

There's a shop right near my apartment with an ex-RCMP 1979 K-10 Suburban parked out front for $4200 CAD (~$3000 USD). It comes with a 10,000 lbs winch and three plastic tubs full of random parts (there's a whole extra carburetor, fuel pump, a heater core, and some consumables like belts and oil filters in there at the very least). It has a 350 small block engine, TH350 3-speed automatic transmission, and NP205 4x4 transfer case. The engine runs well, but there's clearly a bunch of work that needs to be done replacing hoses and performing the general maintenance that hasn't been done on it in the last 5 years. The disk breaks in the front work well, but the drums in the back are pretty questionable. The interior is spotless other than a cracked dash and sagging headliner.

I have a handful of friends who're into cars telling me to go for it. One's a Ford guy who's working on his fourth or fifth pre-95 F150 rebuild (he finished and sold the rest), one's a performance car guy, and two or three others are apprentice welders. I am not a car guy, I'm a very nerdy gun guy who's worked construction so I'm still mechanically inclined and want to learn.

Is this a reasonable project? What is a reasonable number to negotiate the price down to? The guy selling it has done basically no advertisement, he's just parked it on the lawn in front of his shop with a "for sale" sign in the window.
>>
>>27597636
Other angle:
>>
>>27597636
>>27597647
If it was the K10 pick up truck or just the Normal Suburban I'd say go for it. I know a lot of "old stuff" has higher value these days. But this boy is an odd ball. I wouldn't go for it. Don't end up like one of those people trying to sell an old odd ball turd just because you polished it.

I'm not just talking out my ass here. I had to dig a little into this. The thing that threw me off was the back door to the thing and did you take a look under it and see the frame? The most you'd get out of it by selling it is $12k-15k (USD) if you get it looking spotless and running. I'd talk him down to knock of 25% of what he wants for it.
>>
>>27597678
The barn doors were a factory option, this thing is entirely factory other than the bumpers and winch and the floor of the bed. I kind of like the idea of them, since you don't get snow or dust blowing in as easily as a traditional tailgate and topper. I specifically want an SUV instead of a traditional pickup because it gets cold as shit up here six months of the year, and I'm tired of having to unfreeze anything I keep in the bed of the various pickups I've used. I have about a hundred photos of this truck from all angles, I just didn't want to spam the thread.
>>
>>27597706
>>
>>27597712
>>
>>27597716
>>
>>27597724
I've heard the frame at the steering box can crack on these guys if they've been abused in 4X4, but as far as I can tell there's none of that on this guy.
>>
are there still any hidden gem gen 3 and 4 rpos to be had for cheap or are those days long gone? I would like a 5.7/6.0/6.2 complete dropout to swap into a non gm truck but it seems like ANYTHING worth buying is many thousands even with 100k+ miles.
>>
One last bump and then I'm going to try elsewhere.
>>
>>27599006
buy it. It doesn't looks terrible rust wise. No discernable cancer, which is surprisng that you guys use a lot of salt.
>>
>>27599036
There is a decent amount of rust eating up the fenders around the wheel wells, but I didn't focus on those because patch panels are easy to get for these guys and I know about three welders who're willing to help me tie them in.

I'm probably not going to jump for it unless the guy is willing to come down to at least $3500, but if he is I'm going to do it. Thank you for checking.
>>
File: 050822_92.jpg (70 KB, 1024x540)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>27596967
>haulin bussy
FIFY. ;)
My Chevy is Heavy when drivin' to the Levee.
>>
>>27599389
Damn that looks cool.
>>
>>27599389
no, I'm haulin pussy because I love cat cocks.
>>
File: rlr678.jpg (136 KB, 1131x708)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
For hating domestics I still hold the opinion GM can make nice stuff if they fucking try. Vette, Volt, SS, Park Ave, Suzuki Swift import, CTS V, Herse/Olds, Grand National, Fiero, etc. Out of all the big 3 they made the most interesting stuff. I'm a japanophile and prefer Honda but have bought Merc, and could see myself only in a GM when I'm buying domestic.
>>
>>27599712
I think it depends on the era like if it was the 1950s-1960s I would of told you to get a Chevy because they were more reliable than Ford and Chrysler.
>>
>>27599712
>Herse/Olds
Hurst
>>
File: 20240422_144839.jpg (534 KB, 1080x1920)
534 KB
534 KB JPG
maybe one day i'll take care of the paint.
>>
>>27599120
That burb has plenty of life left honestly shocking considering the salt hell you live in, 3k U.S. is a good deal for a running, driving, stopping, non-rotted out classic burb. The only thing that would bug me is the 3sp auto, i would swap that for a 4spd auto or a 5spd manual so the gas mileage doesn't have to be so bad, if you dont care about that 100% would buy.
>>
>>27596757
You know what they say about Chevy's.
Fix it again Tony.
>>
File: shitboxes.jpg (3.15 MB, 4000x2252)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
>>27597636
>>27597647
>>27597706

As a square owner, she's a rusty bitch. That's a $1500-2500 burb down here across the border. Honestly it isn't the worst deal, but man, you might actually be better off hopping down to WA/Oregon and snagging one in better shape and taking it home. The rust is pretty rough, you could fix it, but I'd be worried about the body mounts and floor pans in that shape, these things are all known to rot you just need to know where to look. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of life left in it, and it really depends on what you plan to do with it and want out of it, if it truly fits your bill and you want it, go haggle with the guy, worst case, burbs are easy to find, too many people don't want them. There's a guy local to me that hasn't been able to sell a really solid 4wd burb for $7000 for some time now.

>>27597678
You shouldn't be offering up advice here if you think barn doors are weird, or that a 4wd K10 burb is some oddity that is hard to figure out.

Pic related, my shitbox and my burb, paid $3000 for the R20 burb. 454/TH400, Gear Vendors, helper bags with compressor, bone stock TBI and all of the emissions is intact, factory front/rear AC not working. Virtually no rust.
>>
File: 1712428294060395.jpg (107 KB, 871x1024)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>27599617
once in a blue moon , one shows up for sale. there were kits in the old tyme days.

>>27599662
picrel
>>
Which is the most valid reason for hating Chevrolet (and other gm shit)?

>They were formerly good, but became shit for no good reason at all
>They have nearly unlimited money, but still make absolute dogshit vehicles
>They roll over and take in the ass whenever Uncle Sam says they need to facilitate spying on their customers
>Teaming up with Fisher-Price to make their interiors
>Killing off interesting nameplates, but keeping the Malibu around
>>
>>27597636
>>27597647
are they really asking 3K for that POS?15 years ago that thing would have gone straight to the crusher,wtf is happening?
>>
>>27600534
What year did they become shit? My neighbor has a 89 with all factory parts and he has done basic maintenance and its damn near perfect condition
>>
File: 20240225_180844.jpg (2.12 MB, 4032x1960)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
My new project car 49 deluxe.. it was an early 90s custom that never got finished.. but ill get it back on the road again
>>
>>27600623
Hope you daily drive that car and not leave it out in a field for years.
>>
File: 20210728_014624.jpg (2.9 MB, 4032x3024)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB JPG
>>27600632
Its going in the shop as soon as I get a customers truck last few things done.. should be driving it within the year
>>
>>27596757
>Chevrolet
More like ChevroGAY
>>
>>27600508
If you think that thing is rusty you should see the shit people drive up north in salt land anything 3k is guaranteed to have at least that much rust
>>
>>27599036
>>27600417
I think part of why it's in the condition it's in is because this truck was most likely a patrol vehicle up in northern Alberta for twenty five or so years, and drove little besides backwoods dirt roads. because that's basically all that's up there. Then it was a hunting rig for another ten or so years, then got shoved into indoor storage until the old dude across the way bought it a couple years ago at an estate sale. It hasn't seen much in the way of salty Alberta roads, just lots of dirt, mud, and snow.
>>
>>27600417
Also, Forgot to mention I looked into a transmission upgrade based on what you said, and it seems there's a number of guys in Red Deer and Calgary who find, rebuild, and then sell 700R4 and 4L60E transmissions that should fit this truck.

I'm leaning more towards a 700R4, I'm not sure what would be involved in a 4L60E swap, since I don't know if I could easily add the electronics to this truck for that and part of the point in buying it was to get something simple enough that I can learn to do all the work on it from tip to tail.

>>27600508
The guy is asking for $4200 CAD, which converts to roughly $3000 USD (inflation is a bitch, even with all the inflation you guys have had in recent years our dollar has still slipped to an even worse conversion than we had ten years ago). I'm going to try talking him down to $3000-$3500 CAD, which converts to about $2200-$2600 USD.

I think a nicer body would be wasted on me. I plan to use this thing on mildly messed up back roads and as a hunting vehicle, and as the other Anon said our salty winter roads up here tend to be pretty brutal on steel body vehicles. Also, seeing as I'm learning, I'm probably going to fuck something up here sooner or later, and it's better to do so with a cheaper vehicle nobody minds seeing get a little more messed up.
>>
File: 1711218923660854.gif (1.6 MB, 500x406)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB GIF
>>27600973
Show me on the F150 where the Dealership touched you.
>>
>>27601107
Hey if that's what you plan to use it for go for it bud. Make sure she runs and drives well first, and that 4wd functions. They're easy as hell to work on and parts are plentiful, the PNW C10 page on FB would be a good source for info and possibly sourcing parts too. Quite a few Canadians on there.
>>
>>27601110
That chimp is a lesbian
>>
File: angelyne-1.jpg (63 KB, 644x362)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>27601474
When it cooms to booba, aren't we all?
>>
>>27601451
Thank you very much. I've already driven the truck once, I may ask to do so a second time before making an offer. She runs and drives well, the breaks are a little questionable but work well enough that I can probably limp her out to where I'll be storing her. I'll do a full break check and service before doing anything more with her. I should also do a full light check, come to think of it.

The only thing I'm really questioning is the transfer case. I shifted her through 2 high and 4 high, but 2 Lo was a pain to reach and only doable in park, and I don't think I ever got it into 4 Lo. However, I'm fairly certain that's because I'm a jackass and didn't know how to use an old-school mechanical transfer case. To my understanding now, you're supposed to have to come to a complete stop to do any transfers at all, and switching to 4Lo is supposed to happen while the engine is totally off. The guy selling it was sitting beside me and had no advice, saying he didn't know how it worked either (he's in his late sixties and a tradesman). I've only driven trucks with electronically controlled automatic transfer cases before this, mostly F-150s, and had no idea how a manually controlled transfer case worked at the time when I was driving it.

My dad would've taught me all this if he could've, but he was severely ill for most of my life and passed a couple years ago, and all the rest of my family besides my brother and I are snooty bastards that hardly even do their own oil changes, if that. Everything I'm learning is either through my friends or online materials, and I've got a lot of holes I need to mend. If I'm saying something wrong you'd like to correct or you have some advice on how I should test this more effectively, please feel free to call me a retard before you do so.
>>
>>27602541
Sorry about your old man, Anon. My only experience with manual cases is the NP208 in my old man's 85 K20, you can throw her into 4hi all you want while driving as long as the hubs are locked. There's an infinite amount of info out there for 73-87(91)s, Squarebody Beaters and Projects page on FB has a few Canucks, the PNW C10 page, Squarebody USA are ones I follow aside a couple others. Can't beat good ol' Chevy Talk Forum posts if you can sift through the boomer tones and signatures. Google away and you'll get answers. LMC truck is your best friend for most diagrams and blow outs of parts and descriptions for a fair portion of the squares, really helps when you're missing or don't know a name of a part, and you can take that and find it elsewhere for cheaper or faster.

Honestly if you're determined to learn and want to, go for it. They're a great platform, there's a massive support for aftermarket, specifically DIY4X and ORD Offroad Design for 4wd stuff. Redoing the entire brake system wouldn't cost that much all things considered, just gotta know what you have and what to order, lots of variations in the drums and rotors especially since most of the ones on the road are not original and you never know what a previous owner did.
>>
File: celebrity.png (2.39 MB, 1676x912)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB PNG
me and my 8 closest friends going camping in the wagon
>>
File: 20221122_200543.jpg (347 KB, 1520x1140)
347 KB
347 KB JPG
>>27596757
>>
Chevy + Anime girls = win
>>
>>27601771

naw man, I like boobs, not bubba. Sorry no homo.
>>
Booty
>>
File: 1709817302633752.jpg (220 KB, 960x720)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>27603394
ngga wat? i said booba.
im not into the homsex .. i don't own a Miata. picunrel
>>
File: leaf silber.jpg (148 KB, 1422x900)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>27597636
do it.
>>
File: fren road trip.jpg (45 KB, 600x400)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>27603203
based and comfy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.