[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_2802.jpg (49 KB, 598x450)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
2009 Prius w/ 180k for $5k. It’s the last of the generation twos, and I can do Uber with it until end of year so it pays for its new battery.
>>
>>27595430

If its got a clean title and its in good shape then you did well. The mileage is high; but those cars can break 300,000 without too much effort so it should last you for a while.
>>
Also, it’ll save me $100/mo on gas, and allow me to sell my car and truck for $3k and another $60/mo on the insurance for an additional vehicle.
>>
>>27595437
Yep, clean title. Thanks for the positivity, champ
>>
>>27595430
What would this have cost before COVID jacked up the market?
>>
>>27595582
3500-4k
>>
>>27595587
Sweet, I really didn't do too bad then.
>>
>>27595437
>>27595587
Would a 2013 w/ 150k for $7.5k have been a significantly better deal?
>>
>>27595687
They're both a good deal. I would've bought the one for $5k, but I'm cheap.
>>
>>27595691
Ok, cool. I felt the same but was a bit torn. First car I've really bought. I like how the Gen 3's look more, maybe someday.
>>
i kinda wanna start flipping prius's now boys
>>
File: zzz.jpg (9 KB, 300x168)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
That's not a bad price and 180k is low mileage for a 2nd gen.

If you need to replace the battery don't go the stupid dealer route. Batt tech has been figured out for decades and a rebuilt units from any hybrid place typically have warranty and cost between $800-$1200 for the battery.

It's also easy as fuck to replace and takes like 30 minutes so don't pay for a mechanic to do it using youtube as a guide
>>
>>27595430
>rate my purchase
depends if it was maintained or not

>>27595691
No, Toyota cheaped out on components after the market crash. 3rd gen is even prone to engine failure because of oil consumption.
>>
Thinking about the CT200h lately. Seems like a nicer prius
>>
>>27595704
Yeah I'm gonna do Uber with it after work on Fri-Sat evenings and Sundays until the car pays for it's own battery replacement. That was my thought anyway. If I like the Uber thing, I'll probably flip it after replacing the battery for a 2013 around $7.5k.
>>
>>27595815
I believe it was well maintained. But the guy says it burns about half a quart of oil every 1k miles. I'm gonna see if I can do a piston soak and fix that. Would you walk away from it due to that?
>>
>>27595430
>uber
Why not do a real job instead of something that pays like $5/hr after gas/maintenance/depreciation
>>
>>27596060
I have a real job, but I want the time to both graduate and focus on my business. I have two terms left until I have a math/cs degree, just haven't had the time/money to finish, and my business could do really well if I could just focus on it without worrying about rent.
>>
>>27596060
Also, it justifies the expense much more if the car can literally pay for itself while helping me work toward my professional goals. Otherwise, I was going to run my '06 Corolla into the ground.
>>
I have never seen a white uber driver
>>
File: Dave-Ramsey.jpg (15 KB, 360x360)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
Can I get a quick list of things I might want to look for in 'for parts' Prius's? Like if the entire engine is low mileage, I'd probably want to grab that, along with any high wear parts right? If the battery is good, grab that.. Just wondering. The fact the car I'm buying burns oil already drives me crazy and I intend to fix it ASAP. Gonna do the piston soak right when I get it.
>>
>>27596081
>>27596084
Good luck my fellow cs nerd. The job market is tough right now, hopefully looks better in a year after you graduate. Make sure you hit leetcode like it’s your life. I’d still think you’d be better off taking a part time job for $15/hr or something, rather than rack up the miles on your car, but you do you mang.
>>
Imagine paying $50 for an Uber ride and the driver shows up in a fucking 2009 Prius. 360 degrees and walk away.
>>
>>27596266
>I’d still think you’d be better off taking a part time job for $15/hr or something, rather than rack up the miles on your car, but you do you mang.
I need the flexbility just for a few months so I can focus on my business, since getting it up and running on a routine like schedule takes a lot of erratic work initially. Do you have any recommendations of where else I might look?

I fundementally disagree with Uber as a long term prospect, but it's essentially an advance on the equity in my car and untaxed income until it's due. Which in my case, could buy me enough time with the cashflow to get my business up, step my hours down, then support myself via business while graduating and job hunting. I'd appreciate any advice, made a thread here:
>>>/adv/31101929
>>
I went ahead and paid for the carfax too and it's clean aside from 'damaged reported' from the cat being stolen, it has a shield now.
>>
>>27596123
Piston rings on them are known to go bad, if it is burning 1/2 a quart every 1000 miles then it is probably not a 250k mile engine failing or causing worse issues. Not sure if the piston soak will work or not. You can also try other apps like doordash or lyft in your area and you will need to get an inspection before giving rides. Rides typically end up paying a lot better than food delivery around here. I would get seat covers, some fragrance you can spray after smelly customers and a phone mount. Don't just take any offer the app throws at you, be picky because you don't want to do one shitty 50 minute delivery for $8 when you could do 2 $12 rides in that time. Also use something like gridwise for your own mileage tracking instead of the built in apps.
>>
File: pcv06s.jpg (37 KB, 640x480)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>27596058
>oil consumption

I'd change the PCV valve first. It solved the oil consumption issue for me on my 2nd gen.
>>
>>27596464
>if it is burning 1/2 a quart every 1000 miles then it is probably not a 250k mile engine failing or causing worse issues.
Wdym here? It’s a 180k engine. Are you saying it’s not a big deal, that it doesn’t imply any terrible issue with the motor?

And thanks for the Uber tips. I’m gonna try it this weekend for the first time hopefully. But idc about it long term.

>>27596656
Thanks I will get one of those ordered tonight hopefully it’s an easy repair.
>>
>>27595913
kys idiot
>>
I have a 2010 prius with 135k miles and i beat the ever loving fuck out of it every single day. It takes it like a champ, zero issues. I squeeze every last pathetic drop of power this car has to offer and drive like a madman and it still gets me 42mpg, really couldnt ask for more with a commuter beater.
>>
>>27595430
Yeah good buy. Gen 2 is way better than gen 3 with their head gasket problems.
>>
>>27596084
Just start doing gig programming jobs instead of uber, wtf are you thinking?
>oh no, I don’t have a four year degree yet, guess I should let ranjeesh and his fake degree take all the bullshit work
Make other people pay for your education.
>>
>>27595430

I found a 2005 with 182,000 miles that the guy only wants $2,900 for. Clean title; but....

>"Prius has bad ABS brake module and intermittent dash lights. "

Now obviously intermittent dash lights could be a lot of things, some of which could be pretty pricey; but do any of you know how much it would cost to get the ABS module replaced?

Its got some dings in the paint; but at that price I'm not sure I care.
>>
>>27597173
test it before you install it, I got two and one was faulty

just blow in it from both directions, it should be blocked from one side
you can also clean the intake manifold flap, change the spark plugs and clean the mass airflow sensor if you change the PCV
>>
>>27595687
For long term yes the 3rd gen fixed a lot of the hiccups that the 1st and 2nd gen had
>>
>>27597846
>gig programming
Has it got any better? I was competing against fully staffed pajeet companies back in the day and they STILL undercut my bids every single time.
>>
>>27597846
I've never heard of 'gig programming'. How can I start doing this?
>>
Why do people buy anything but older Prius? Unless you really need a truck. I don’t see the point in anything else. More cost effective (MPG, lifespan maintenance) while also somehow having more interior room. With suck as FUCK features like being able to sleep in a climate controlled car.

I don’t see myself needing anything but a Prius and lightweight trailer to move the odd larger item. Unless I had acreage and a farm or something. But I’d still need a Prius in that case.
>>
>>27596656
is this PCV valve ok?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0946KR8K8?&_encoding=UTF8&tag=lexls-20&linkCode=ur2&linkId=d593ac3e2eb19f3f157507fd61e76ee8&camp=1789&creative=9325

I'll be doing this AND a piston soak regardless. The oil burning grosses me out. My '06 Corolla has never done that.
>>
>>27596656
nvm, i saw your picture was taken from the same site I was looking at. got the pcv valve and anti freeze in the mail
>>
File: emacs.png (189 KB, 1200x1200)
189 KB
189 KB PNG
What's the cheapest reciever upgrade so I can have bluetooth? I have one of those bluetooth-to-cigarette-lighter-plug things that broadcast and FM frequency, but over my commute stations come and go, making it annoying. it's also not as loud as normal for some reason.
>>
>>27603220
Because everyone tries to sell gen2s in working condition for $10k+ (I'm not joking). The other ones are lokley destroyed that are going for reasonable prices. No one actually wants to sell a Prius. Also working on them is more complex for most.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (4 KB, 193x148)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>27606013
I just wish I had realized all the utility I'd get out of it sooner. I'm coming from having a sedan and a truck, and this is just better at everything and by driving this I'm saving $1,400 on gas per year, and now only have one vehicle I need to insure, saving an additional ~$600 annually. So $2k annually before factoring in maintenance for other vehicles. Combined with selling the car and truck (shitboxes), the vehicle pays for itself within a year, and after that it's all profit. I'm just in disbelief that this mathed out, I'm essentially getting paid to own and drive a nicer car and downsize while getting so much more utility.

Once I get a hitch and small trailer, it's game over. If I ever need more hauling capacity, the cost savings from the Prius cover any rental fees.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.