[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1697505326477519.png (342 KB, 990x541)
342 KB
342 KB PNG
I'm trying to replace my rear break pads. They have been making a sound for like one week.

I bought a 650Nm impact gun, I didnt consi. I tried to remove the tyre with it, it wont fucking move. Seems like its not powerful enough.
Whats the minimum Nm required?

Also its possible the break pads I bought are not even the right ones. I wont know until I manage to remove the tyre.

Should I just take the L and have a garagist replace my break pads this last time? Or risk driving it? I drive 80km total everyday for work. The garagist always charge about 200€ the job on two tyres, doing it myself doesnt even cost 30€ but risking my life for 200€ seems dumb.
>>
>>27579892
>Also its possible the break pads I bought are not even the right ones.
how do people do this? stepdad also did this recently
all you do is stick your make/model/year or VIN into the computer and it tells you what brake pads to get
are you people just grabbing random pads off the shelf or what?
>>
>>27579901
>all you do is stick your make/model/year or VIN

I havent found a website that makes it so easy.
My vin is not recognized.
I'm in europe so we dont have the same quality of service as americans.
>>
have you ever removed the tyre?
use manual tool. you need massive lever if the bolts are rusted. use rost flash pro if needed.

Always buy accessories by your registration number. You cannot even change the pad as you wont have the tool that pushes the brake piston in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsHu8eZD3tQ
>>
>>27579907
>tool that pushes the brake piston

I was thinking of using tweezers.
I have a mazda 3 2016, the piston twists and turns
>>
File: 19-1548_xl_1.jpg (57 KB, 800x801)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>27579912
https://www.auto-doc.fr/
Saisie du numéro d'immatriculation

use that

tweezers won't help unless the caliber is new. the set won't cost much if you find a place that won't charge much. this costs 20 euros to 70 euros. depends who sells it.
>>
>>27579916
I appreciate your effort anon, but I'm in Belgium.
I selected the right model for my car, but the breaks pads seem excessively small compared to the videos I watch. Wait and see I guess.

>>27579907
>have you ever removed the tyre?
never. Sick of getting ass raped so I'm on my journey to stop being a wrenchlette.
>>
how are you unable to remove the tire
just use the fucking lug wrench
>>
>>27579923
his guy probably has torqued them to 300 Nm so OP will go back. he needs one meter lever.
>>
>>27579923
>lug wrench
I dont have it. The car doesnt come with it nor a spare tyre. There is some kind of glue/product one is supposed to use, in case of a a flat tyre. Never happened to me though.

>>27579928
My impact gun is supposed to be 600Nm so it should be enough right? Maybe I dont have the right socket?
>>
>>27579930
does it have torque selector? Did you recharge it full? i doubt its 600 Nm that is an enormous amount.
>>
>>27579930
>Maybe I dont have the right socket?
the socket either fits or it doesn't fit, how can you not tell?
>>
>>27579934
If the lug is rusted out a regular impact might not be enough
>>
>>27579892
You bought a cheap piece of shit impact, of course it doesn’t work.

Just go buy a socket and breaker bar, it should cost less than $20.

And since you seem like a dumb retard, make sure to loosen the lugs before you jack up the vehicle.
>>
>>27579934
No torque selector, only a direction selector.
Righty tighty, lefty loosy.
Yes fully charged.

>>27579935
It fits. But doesnt turn when all is connected. Just is some kind of smoke coming from the bolts when I try to loosen it, and the edges seem to get damaged.
>>
>>27579930
Did you remember lefty loosey, righty tighty?
>>
On cheap impacts they overestimate the torque by ridiculous amounts - that 650 could be 200 or less in actuality. Even good brands typically overstate it by 2X
>>
try just a nudge in clockwise and then reverse
>>
File: ergotorgue-moment.png (26 KB, 978x624)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
i would suggest this kind of long torque wrench. it gives enough lever to open those nuts. also torque them right when you put them back.
>>
>>27579892
>buying no-name Chinesium power tools
Your 30,000,000 lumen flashlight from China is probably brighter than the sun too
>>
>>27579946
This is a bad idea. You’re probably going to wreck the torque wrench using it as a breaker bar. Just buy a cheap fucking breaker bar.
>>
>>27579955
Or stick a metal pipe over your regular tire iron. He's right though, do not use the torque wrench.
>>
>>27579955
I have never wrecked these. It is rated for 200 Nm+ (real, not fake like 600 Nm eDrill). it will open. And it usually don't have the torque selection for open just for close.
>>
>>27579941
>Just is some kind of smoke coming from the bolts when I try to loosen it, and the edges seem to get damaged.
So you have stripped the theads on the lugnuts and studs?
Can you post a video about what happens?
>>
>>27579921
Rear brakes are often much smaller than front brakes. You need a big breaker bar to free the wheel nuts. An additional cheaper pipe will help too. Something like this:
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-25-in-professional-breaker-bar-64820.html
>>
>>27579941
Are you using the right size adaptor?
>>
>>27579904
autodoc.
>>
A breaker bar got the job done.
I cant believe I got chinked out of my hard earned 100€
>>
File: 1686049372082764.png (52 KB, 777x437)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
I will try to return it whish me luck.
>>
>>27579921
Close to Aalst? I have a lift and a non-chinese impact gun
>>
>>27582497
Simple tools and physics are the way.
Keep adding additional crescent wrenches on to each other for infinite leverage.
>>
Why would you buy a rechargeable impact gun if you have no hand tools to start with? Buy some wrenches, a ratchet and some sockets. Add power tools once you've done enough to know what you need.
>>
>>27582497
Can't beat a good breaker bar
>>
>>27582559
this
an impact gun by itself is a useless tool
to get wheels off right you need a breaker bar (aka a non-ratcheting socket wrench) to crack the lugs open while the car is on the ground, then lift and use the impact to get the lugs off the rest of the way.

then the most important part is putting them back on. you DO NOT want to use the impact gun except maybe to get the lugs started. you should own a click-type or beam-type torque wrench so that you can ensure all your lug nuts are the same torque.
this is critically important because the wheel and lugs keep the brake disc on, and uneven wheel torque can lead to brake "warping" and uneven pad wear as well as random vibration.
>>
Grab an old ratchet wrench without the rubber handle and stick a metre long pipe on it.
If that doesn't unhook the nuts, nothing will
>>
>>27582592
>wrenchlet gives his take
>>
Congratulations OP on beginning your quest to no longer be a wrenchlet.
Doing my own work has saved me tens of thousands of dollars over the years, not just from labor costs, but also by not getting fucked by dishonest mechanics.
You will probably make a few mistakes as you learn, but you’ll overcome them somehow as long as you don’t throw in the towel. Remember to walk away for a minute if you’re getting pissed off and refrain from throwing things.
I believe in you Pierre
>>
>>27582635
If you've got enough experience to know what 90 ft-lbs feels like you can probably do without a torque wrench. OP doesn't have enough experience to do a brake job, he 100% needs the torque wrench.
>>
>>27582687
Just put the gun to 2 and give it 3 duggas
>>
>>27582536
hello belgian fren.
I went and bought a breaker bar and it worked.
I still havent done the job because it was raining today

>>27582592
>lug nuts are the same torque.

None of the youtube tutorials I watched mentionned this. How do I do this without a fancy torque wrench?
>>
>>27582691
I have a friend who does this and has repeatedly blamed his wife's driving for warping brake rotors he installed lol
>>
>>27582729
you can't
go buy a real torque wrench, just the cheap bendy beam type is perfect for wheels and you never have to worry about it losing calibration like a clicky. You don't need to spend a lot like $15/20 maybe less. harbor freight and walmart tier are perfectly fine

when you use an impact gun to put lugnuts back on, you are NOT supposed to just ugga dugga them. There are these things called torque sticks that bend at a specified torque to that you can get them all to spec easily. You would still want to verify with a handheld torque wrench but these are how you would go about properly zipping the nuts back on without a "fancy tool".

>>27582778
>>27582635
this is actually a problem with my car and uneven, overspec lugnut torque causes insane vibrations at high speed and weird brake wear. I have spacers installed and I ugga duggad them at first but after I backed off to spec 100ftlb the vibrations went away.
>>
File: DSC00231.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2000)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
>>27582729
Come wrench with me, near Aalst, I'm a shitbox connoisseur
>>
>>27583367
I'm a shitskin and you flemish fuckers are racist as fuck, especially in Aalst. If you are one of the bad, non-racist flemish apples, give me your contact detail. Maybe discord? I also have telegram but my main phone is broken.
>>
>>27579904
you legit retarded and should not work on cars without somebody competent to double check and RETARD should have bought breaker bar for wheel bolts
>>
>>27584196
I watched a youtube video that used an impact gun when his breaker bar failed to get the job done. So I thought Id directly just buy an impact gun.

How does this makes me a retard? We dont all have people to babysit our wrenching adventures.
>>
File: Cübe.jpg (167 KB, 894x906)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>27579916
>buying the entire kit when you can just use the cübe.
>>
>>27584598
Those don't work on all pistons, specifically flat surfaced ones.
>>
>>27579916
Just use a big G-Clamp and the old pad to push the fucker back in.

Don't forget to grease your slider pins too.
>>
>>27584066
How brown are you? I'm Belgiki on basedcord.
>>27584910
No
>>
>>27585007
>How brown are you?

off to a great start
>>
>>27585377
least racist flemish
>>
>>27584066
kwab
>>
>>27579892
Spelling "brake" as "break" should be grounds for a permanent ban.
>>
>>27588002
go tell that to all the shitskins in your country and leave other nationals alone
>>
>>27584598
I don't understand how this hyberkube is doing the compressing motion? It probably does it's job on calibers that are under 5 year old.
>>
>>27579908
kekd
>>
>>27584339
You clearly don't understand how much (or little) torque that chink impact guns promised (not actual) 650Nm is.
The guy on the video wasn't even fucking trying to open it by hand, or his breaker bar was really short.
If you got a 1m long breaker bar and you stand on it with say 70kg body mass, you got about 700Nm of torque on the nut. Put the 1m long breaker bar in a position where you can lift with your legs and you'll easily get over 1500Nm of torque.
>>
>>27588569
the impact gun rating might be some '1 nanosecond impulse maximum'. It's the constant torque that opens bolts.
>>
>>27588591
>It's the constant torque that opens bolts
as in constant pressure over a longer period of time? because that's how you round or snap bolt heads off
>>
>>27584066
>I'm a shitskin
Niggers shouldn't be allowed to drive or own cars
>>
>>27579892
Why do weakfags think they need power tools to remove a tire? You pull up on the socket wrench not push down on it, you get deadlift leverage. Even a weak male should be able to deadlift like 150lbs and I don't think that shit is torqued to 150+ ft/lbs. Learn leverage, pulling further away from the center makes it easier, a breaker bar could even be useful but I use the trunk tools and have always been able to do it.

If the pads don't fit try being less retarded and get the right size. If they're unused in box they might let you exchange them.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.