[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000001512.jpg (36 KB, 267x400)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
What the fuck, it's just a love story
Spoilers in my next post but I'm massively disappointed
>>
Yes yes, "yearning, changing the past" yadda yadda, it's the oldest fucking theme ever. Thematically and philosophically it's quite mundane.

The plot itself? Also quite mediocre. Gatsby's death was such an anticlimax. His live-story doesnt work, he seems to be alright with that and finally out of the spell of his dream, then the mad garage guy shows up and shoots him. Extremely forced just because Fitzgerald needed Gatsby's funeral to be a thing, to show that LOOK! NOBODY IS HERE! haha arent vain people vain?

It's not bad, but hooooly shit is it overrated
>>
>>23328829
gatsby wasn't vain, he was just a tryhard.
>>
>>23328815
>This is the great American novel
I'd rather read about Jews tolchoking each other
>>
>>23328835
wot? I never even implied Gatsby was the vain one. I was clearly referring to the people who didnt show up
>>
I've been thinking about this lately, and I think the main reason it's dried up into irrelevance (outside a specific breed of litfag) is because the whole 'This looks exciting on the outside but is hollow in the inside" hook has dried up. Over the past hundred years the media image of "isn't it FUN to be rich?" has escalated to the point where Gatsby might as well be that neighbor in the slightly-fancier house down the street.

Gatsby is """rich"""? Where's his superhero hideout? His Hollywood friends? His private zoo of tigers and chimps?
>>
*sigh*another plotfag filtered
>>
Citizen Kane does basically everything better and I'd even go as far as to call it a better novel, since it adopts novelistic conventions.
>>
>>23329641
It really does. That and Fellini's 8 1/2. I feel that movie needs to be mentioned too.
>>
>>23328970
None of that has anything to do with the last two thirds of the book being generic love-triangle soap shit
>>
>>23328815
I don't really see what's so bad about the old money crowd, at least as shown in the book, specifically the Buchanan family. They show more resilience and mastery than the rest, Daisy choosing her child and husband family life over elopement with Gatsby seems like the correct choice, even though it would have been easy for her to excuse herself with the infidelity of her husband. And Tom's affair seemed more a showing of his libido than lacked any malicious intent towards Daisy.
>>
>>23330341
Pig
>>
>>23330142
La Dolce Vita and 8 1/2 cover all the same territory and then some yeah.
>>
>>23328829
>The plot
Stick to the YA section, buddy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.