[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: image.png (642 KB, 1200x781)
642 KB
642 KB PNG
>yeah this book is only 600 pages, I've read it over the weekend
How the fuck do you even do this? Novels are so big, and the most I can do is read 20 pages a day at most, even in a pocket format, I read slowly and often act the stuff out in my head. It's much easier with the audiobooks, since I'm much better at at digesting the stuff I hear, but it feels like cheating and I don't have audio versions of the non-fiction stuff I need to study. How do you train yourself to read faster?
>>
>>23326887
Read.
>>
>>23326887
Cleanse your mind of offensive electronic stimuli and attain inner peace. Then you'll probably be able to read for 5-10 hours straight without much difficulty.
>>
>>23326925
but what if I read off my phone?
>>
>>23326887
I usually read like 30-50 pages per day and maybe 100 pages on weekends/days off depending on how much time I have available. But I have read 500 pages in a day before.

>>23326934
ngmi
>>
>>23326955
>500 pages
I can reach about 30 pages/hour on your average book, maybe 40/hour if it's a novel with lots of dialogue. Sometimes reading speed is a limiting factor.
>>
>>23326965
Not all books are made equal. Some are wide and tall with a small font, some are small with a big font and their pages contain maybe half the words of the big ones.
The difficulty of the text is also a factor. You'll want to read difficult texts slowly and sometimes reread paragraphs, while for genre fiction you can usually just glide along. For prose stylists like Melville, Nabokov or Joyce you'll additionally want to subvocalise (pronounce the words in your head) to make the most out of their sonoric qualities. Metre, alliteration, rhythm and the like.
For simpler text (genre fiction or non-fiction) you can get away with reading without subvocalisation. Though switching between the two modes is reading is difficult. I used to read without subvocalisation as a child, but this made me hate poetry. I had to force myself to start subvocalising as an adult and this made me love poetry and prose stylists, but at the same time my reading speed took a hit. I find it difficult to switch to non-subvocalising mode of reading.

Basically, you shouldn't worry about your reading speed when attempting difficult works. In fact, the slower, the better. This lets you appreciate more details, both the metaphors and the prose. I'd rather read Moby-Dick in a month but fully appreciate it than speedrun it in a couple of days but miss out on everything that makes it great.
For simpler works/non-fiction try to eliminate subvocalisation. This will greatly increase your reading speed.
>>
File: 1433693848724.gif (485 KB, 500x259)
485 KB
485 KB GIF
>>23327060
>you'll additionally want to subvocalise
Wait, people don't do this by default?
>>
>>23327077
Some do, some don't. I know I didn't, the words/ideas skipped the subvocalisation part and entered my brain directly. At least that's what it felt like.
You can probably find /sci/entific studies about it if you're interested. I'm just talking about my personal experience, which is by no means objective.
>>
>>23327077
People do this, and that's what lowers your reading speed, speedreaders put effort to eliminate subvocalization because of this. I personally have to resist to subvocalise most of the time because my reading speed gets too low to pay attention to what I'm actually reading.
>>
File: 1689349418673286.jpg (114 KB, 724x1024)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
I just read 1~2 hours a day.
>>
How most people "read so much" in 2024
>they aren't but claim they are
>they intend to but never do
>they read the first parts, then stop, but still claim to have read the book
>most common: they read the first parts, then stop, but they did this in a class and the professor said the things you're supposed to know and regurgitate about the book so they spend the rest of their lives claiming and even thinking they've read it
>they are actually dumber and less diligent than you so they are a) less confident they could ever really understand the book as a whole and therefore b) less bothered by skimming it and just soaking up whatever they soak up willy-nilly without worrying about stopping-and-starting to really process things that are puzzling to them (again this is most often combined with taking a class)
The last one is really common. A lot of people walking around saying they "read Heidegger" mean they took a class on it and struggled/suffered through the sections assigned by the professor, skipping a few readings or doing them at the last minute and thus not really processing them, but there's enough "there" by the end of that ramshackle process that their normie pea brain thinks "I've read Heidegger.. Being in the world, and so on" for the rest of their lives. And remember, 99% of what a normie is doing in any given activity is social posturing to maintain their place in the hierarchy like pack animals, so any guilt or self-doubt they might be capable of feeling has to be crammed into that 1% leftover processing space, and then maintained there, neither of which is very likely.
>>
>>23327097
All you are doing is nuking comprehension retard. Literally everyone subvocalizes when they read, it is necessary to sufficiently comprehend the text. Those that say they naturally don’t actually do, because such claims can easily be tested as when we are subvocalizing we are actually using our vocal chords very quietly. Speedreading is a complete scam also, lol at falling for that grift.

I hope my message will help you change your ways for the better anon. Dont fall for grifts.
>>
>>23327110
Speaking from my experiences as a child, reading without (or at least with minimal) subvocalisation is definitely real. But this kills any appreciation of style and pacing, it's like watching a movie at 2x speed. If you read for pleasure then you want to subvocalise, even if the text takes longer to get through.
t. Had to learn how to subvocalise
>>
>>23326887
You’ve trained yourself to scroll social media and watch a tv show at 1.5x speed simultaneously while you’re supposed to be doing a third task. You’ve literally programmed your brain to be a scattershot mess.
The upside is you can retrain this brain to be a reader. The hard part is you have to want to. Sit, comfortably, in isolation of other tasks and things to make the mind wander. Turn the phone off. Just read. Set a timer for 30mins, 1 hour. Do nothing but reading.
If you can win back the ability to concentrate suddenly those books start melting.
>>
>>23327110
I don't know, slow reading actually kills comprehension for me, when I go slowly I realize after a while that my eyes are just gliding over the words and I have to reread most paragraphs multiple times. Maybe it's just an ADHD thing.
>>
>>23326887
Change what you're reading if you really want to go faster. If you struggle with some more basic stuff right now, you'd be surprised what spending a weekend eating your vegetables and reading nothing but difficult stuff can do for your perception of reading "normal" prose. Read nothing but Shakespeare and Milton for a weekend and you'll be surprised how easy it is to just blast through the more common variety of prose once you've begun to acclimate to the more ornate writing.
>>
>>23327107
It's nice that none of those types are found in /lit/
>>
>>23326887
Some people can read really fast, I can comfortably read 200-300 pages a day on a standard paperback
>>
You probably already read that much. just internet posts and not books.
>>
>>23326887
Read two books
Read books that you have fun reading, not good books
Leave your phone at home and go for a 30 minutes walk before reading
Put your phone in another room while reading
>>
>>23327060
>subvocalization
For most of my life I didn't know people could read without doing this. I read aloud to myself sometimes for full effect and comprehension.
>>
>>23326893
fpbp. stop posting here. stop scrolling on your phone. imagine yourself putting even half the time you spend on this site daily into reading. You'll be reading 2 books a week.
>>
>>23327060
>>23327110
>>23330904
>This inner speech is characterized by minuscule movements in the larynx and other muscles involved in the articulation of speech. Most of these movements are undetectable (without the aid of machines) by the person who is reading
How the fuck do you know if you are doing this or not? How to distinguish from internal monologue? I would need to fucking rap to keep up with my skimming pace
>>
>>23326887
I read on average a book a week, and maybe 30 pages a day. I would read so much more if I didn't have ADHD, which makes audiobooks also hard to understand.
Reading is hard but well worth the effort, sometimes the effort is also knowing what books to avoid though.
>>
>>23331129
I hate spoilers, go in blind as a mole and get trapped in the urge of finishing shit I start. All could be avoided by reading some 2 star reviews on goodreads listing themes which fizzled, but when it would completely remove joy from something like The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea or make me less likely to expand horizons
>>
>>23326887
Im female and read like 1-2 hours a day, sometimes the entire day if its weekend and I managed to not get glued to the phone.
I like slowly digesting YA fantasy like First Law. Side note, does anyone know what to read after first law? I can post feet for nice answers since im worthless and dont have any value except for the degree men like me I fucking hate my dad for leaving me
>>
>>23331117
If you're skimming you probably are subvocalizing less because at a certain speed of reading your muscles can't make the movements fast enough. But what you gain in speed you lose in comprehension. Internal monologue is a completely different concept that has nothing to do with the movement of muscles.
>>
>>23331561
Post tits
>>
>>23331561
you don’t have to post feet and I don’t usually read YA, but I did read Shane recently and really enjoyed it
>>
The more you read, the more quickly you read, up to a certain point of mastery. And then you know how to crush through material, looking for a specific thing, or how to go slowly and take your time with it, taking it all in.
It's like fucking, fuck the book until you're good at it.
>>
>>23326887
>I read slowly and often act the stuff out in my head.
I think it's better to do this than to speed through a whole book in a weekend and not give yourself time to 1. savor what you're reading or 2. process what you've read in between sessions. The latter is really important for retaining shit later too. It's not a race and the point of reading a book isn't to get to the end as quickly as possible. Not saying you think that but sometimes I catch myself thinking similar things and I have to remind myself to slow down. That being said, you could probably go faster than 20 pages a day but if you enjoyed those 20 pages then I'm not gonna tell you how to read.
>>
File: wcsu wolves.png (276 KB, 567x496)
276 KB
276 KB PNG
>>23326887
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hyperionics.avar&hl=en_US&pli=1
>>
>>23331945
No my tits are ugly and non-existant because im malnourished. Im too autistic for most foods because I can only eat my comfort foods so im extremely underfed
>>23331995
No its fine I can post feet you can defile my body in fact thank you so much for the answer raping me is fine too I will never have a husband and be happy my dad left me at 2 years old and my mums a prostitute
>>
>>23332054
I can fix you
>>
>>23332054
Well i just talked to my friends who are also posting in this thread with me and we all want you to please stop talking like that because you're making us uncomfortable:( We're just trying to talk about healthy reading habits and you're making it sexual and we're sorry what happened to you but we just wanted to talk about books
>>
>>23332054
you and your mom can come live with me. she can’t bring dates over though. gonna get her cleaned up real nice.
I can be your hero baby.
>>
>>23332084
Im sorry. I really picked up way more hours of reading ever since I've gotten an e-reader. Its so useful to always have with you. Like the moment I wake up I read a chapter and every meal or downtime is so easy to just enjoy and escape to a beautiful other world
>>
>>23332054
>I can post feet

Do it
>>
>>23332054
You will never be a woman
>>
>>23332156
This is true because women have always excluded me from their social groups for being a weirdo autist. I tried joining a book club once so I could get more extrinsic motivation to read but they were all talking about constant woke bullshit and it annoyed the crap out of me I DONT FUCKING CARE THE WRITER WROTE ABOUT INDIANS
>>
>>23332160
I don't care if you're not really a woman. I would FUCK you and love you.
>>
>>23326887
I'm a fucking loser
>>
>>23332160
Sounds like some Canadian bullshit
>>
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA help. How do I start reading more? How how how how how how
>>
>>23332325
Spend less time on this website
>>
>>23326887
Once I went to a beach house and since I use a flip phone I brought two books with myself
If I didn't stop voluntarily I might've finished both of them in the same day, but I only finished one and began the other the other day.
You just gotta leave the internet, no need to train to read faster.
>>
>>23332325
text to speech
its that easy!
>>
>>23332331
that's the hardest part
>>
>>23326887
Listen to books at 1.5x - 2x. I listen to several books a week.
>>
>>23326887
Depends. Am I reading Harry Potter or Infinite Jest?
>>
>>23332156
Oh but she is. Not only did she specify it when nothing called for it, but she also proceeded to write a few paragraphs about her feet and lack of tits while simulating a mental breakdown.
>>
>>23332054
>>23332160
Still waiting for the feet pics whore

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.