[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ScarletLetter_CoverFinal.jpg (279 KB, 1119x1600)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
Good read or "muh poor food" bullshit?
>>
Foid*
>>
>>23322279
It's great so long as you separate it from the reading schools typically give of it. It's not some early feminist story about a poor girl being ostracized for no good reason. Hawthorne clearly expresses that Prynne's punishment is justified. Pearl is used as a tool to directly chastise her and Dimmesdale for the sins they've committed. Just because the "antagonist" is also judged for his wrongdoings doesn't mean that the other two get a free pass. They're all sinners.
>>
>>23322299
I haven't read this since high school and barely remember any of it. I remember it was very dense reading.
>>
I liked Young Goodman Brown and read Hawthorne's biography for a book report and those were good. The Scarlet Letter in brief sounds like the most awful book ever written but knowing the author a little better, I suspect it might be good
>>
File: 1711940863697266.png (248 KB, 1446x1022)
248 KB
248 KB PNG
>>23322304
Sometimes I wish Hawthorne would've just been an essayist instead. Stuff like The Old Manse doesn't just rival, but surpasses Emerson. At times he reminds me of a sort of American Goethe. It's sad that most people nowadays only know him for The Scarlet Letter.
>>
>>23322304
I like The Scarlet Letter a lot, but I think The House of the Seven Gables is his best long work.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.