[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lgbt/ - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How is your relationship with your parents anon?
>>
>>35539952
We don't talk really but I visit when I can and everything's okay - we're distant but that's because I'm literally quite far away
>>
>>35539952
>Mom
Pretty ok ig
>step-dad
non-existent
>dad
almost non-existent and strained
>step-mom
non-existent
>>
I like both my parents, flaws and all. I think they could have done better raising me, there is probably a billion ideal scenarios of how could have grown up. I think especially with my mom there might be more under the surface that I haven't explored, maybe even with my Dad. But overall I think I'm okay
>>
>>35539987
How did this happen? Genuinely curious all 3 just bailed..why?
>>
>>35540043
Well not bailed but (sorry for reddit spacing, trying to make it easier to read in sections)

Step-dad, moved in with us, married my mom, I know absolutely nothing about him, he sat in his room playing video games all day, avoided us as much as possible, would be working all the time
Any time we (Sister and I) would try to talk or learn from him while he was fixing cars or anything he'd make short curt responses and eventually just stop talking
Never made any attempt to be a father

Dad- didn't live with him, visited him only every other weekend, he'd be tired and we didn't do too much usually, used to be decent and would spend time with him, but rightoid and would force me to get haircuts when i visited, berated me for trying to come out as gay and laughed at me, convinced me it was "because i didnt trust him and come ot him first instead of sister", tried coming out as trans few years later, looked at me and said "No you're not" and started listing sections from 'how to tell if you're transgender' wikihow article

Step-mom, more similar to step-dad didn't spend much time with her or ever get close really, she was nice but idk, my dad's a real jerk to her and she'd take a real passive role around us both. Would try to spend time with her as a kid but now just never really talk to her
>>
I don't talk to my mom anymore and it makes me happy knowing how much she must grieve the loss of her "son".
>>
>>35540094
The reddit spacing is just basic grammar rule, fuck this site lol
>played video games, not spend time with kids
Why even bother moving in then sorry man
>wiki how
Topkek that's rough dude
Shame man, hope things are better
>>
>>35540198
eh im on hrt and dont need to worry about their support so idc anymore
>>
>>35539952
Fake. They probably think I've forgiven them. I haven't. They fucked up my life by being codependent narcissists, abusive and neglectful. Now I leech off them when I need money and pretend to love them so I have a backup for when my money runs out before the end of the month.
I still live nearby and visit weekly for this and that.
>>
>>35539952
my mom gave me mommy issues, but we're good now. the relationship with my dad has always been great
>t. wink
>>
>>35540401
Ew, hating them is one thing (based).
But leeching off them is repugnant, pathetic really.
You should be too good to take their money you shouldn’t even allow them to look upon you, but nah money trumps self respect I guess, CRINGE!
>>
>>35540415
It's either I sell my self respect to my parents or a boss. However much I hate my parents, I hate working more. I'm also wayy too loose with the gubmint dole.
I don't mind being pathetic or repugnant if it saves me from having to sell my labor.
>>
My dad disowned me (literally told me he would never even think about me again) and my relationship with my mom was pretty bad. Close and we loved each other but incredibly abusive on her part. She suicided a few years ago.
>>
>>35540458
Respect for giving me a real response. I mean shit, at least you’re honest, good job!
>>
>>35539952
My dad's dead, died of ass cancer last year.
I live with my mum. We get along okay but she doesn't know I'm transitioning yet.
I'm hoping I can keep it a secret until after I graduate my degree so I don't have to deal with her wanting to have some tedious 8 hour long 'talk' about it where she spends the whole time trying to convince me to stop.
>>
>>35540532
>good job!
Ew, didn't I just tell you I fucking hate working??
>>
>>35540553
Apologies, GOOD!
>>
>>35540401
I understand anon.
I live with my codependent narcissist mother. She thinks I'm going to live with her until I've saved up enough money to buy a house (obviously just an excuse to try and rationalize/convince me into living with her until her age makes her an invalid and she can guilt me into staying longer).
Personally, I have no plans for being stuck living with my mum until I'm fucking 40 or older and am gonna be moving out basically the moment I graduate uni and have a stable job and income.
>>
It's good even compared to what most cis het people deal with. Growing up in the middle of their fail theater-kid marriage kinda sucked, but as an adult I find them pretty easy to get along with. Wish i could visit more but I moved across the country on a lark and like where I'm at. We talk on the phone for upwards of an hour every other week or so, just shooting the shit, its kinda nice.
>>
>>35539952
>mother
never cared about me
>step mother
never cared about me and stop talking to me as soon as the divorce happened
>father
too mentally ill to care about me for more than a couple days + prevented me from being a youngshit + i would kill him tomorrow if i knew that id get away with it
>>
>>35541210
nobody cares but better said,
>mother
never cared about me and never bothered to contact me after the divorce
>>
>>35539952
i ended up being the parent to both of them
we're more like acquaintances where I act as their counsellor/therapist
>>
so many cute tranners with daddy issues, i could fix them and be their daddy....
>>
>>35539952
both are dead, don't give a shit, life has never been easier. next question
>>
>>35539952
>mtf
Father has always been a patient selfless kind man who wishes he could save everyone and I look up to him
My mother is an unstable antisocial judgemental ball of anxiety and has been widely a negative influence
And both are conservative reactionaries
When I transitioned my relationship to both were severed and we didn't get along or talk for a while and they forced me to be financially independent early
But after a couple years my father was willing to reach out and apologize and try to hear me out and learn
Now we are close and he always uses my name and pronouns and junk and says he's glad my bf is a good man who takes care of me
My mom... never really apologized or anything. She stepped back into my life when my dad did. She will talk to me occasionally but is incredibly awkward about it. She does seem like she cares a little (got upset when I told her I couldn't make it to this thing she was hosting) but does still seem like she thinks the tranny thing is disgusting
>>
>>35539952
>mom
Raped me at like 6, memoryholed it until recently. Love her to death but now I'm conflicted about it

>dad
Glad he's not drinking anymore. Still love him
>>
>>35539952
>bio mom
I havent seen her since I was 14. Ive talked to her twice in the last decade. I kinda want to try to rekindle a relationship but at this point Ive had her out of my life longer than she was in it.
>bio dad
Not great. Never was great. He was abusive and incredibly homophobic. I was his only son and I still think he’s upset at me for being such a faggot. I dont talk to him much
>step mom
She is the only family member I talk to really. I talk to her bi weekly, mostly out of habit but recently our relationship grew a bit
>step dad
Killed himself when I was 11. He was a POS too just like my father. Looking back I can really see the similarities between my dad/step dad and understand my moms taste in men
>>
>>35539952
It's okay. There's some mild transphobia, but I'm not going to complain because that's the same thing antiwhite non-white people say about the white race
>>
>>35539952
Really good. They've always accepted me and paid for my entire transition
>>
>>35539952
Is good :) ofc they don’t know what I am so that makes it easy
>>
>>35539952
i should call more
>>
File: DAMNSHAWTY.jpg (75 KB, 1080x1159)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>35539952
>mom
great during my childhood, after my little brother was born our relationship started to decay, wasn't really anyone's fault. my mom got in a lot of shitty abusive relationships that almost got both of us killed and as i got older i naturally distanced myself. when i came out to her she was "accepting" but in reality i just think she didn't believe me because i was so "normal" (i had gotten good at hiding the pain this caused me, i guess). i had to repress for another 2 years because of her. ended up transitioning at 18, she was not happy at first. i remember when i walked in the house she asked if they "just gave me those pills" (yes, on the first appointment lmao, thanks planned parenthood). 9 months later she has come to terms with it and actually has helped me fill out my wardrobe a bit and gives me honest advice which is nice, so in the end it all worked out. i still won't forgive her for those 2 years i'll never get back but she's done so much for me and i can't hate her. she always tried her hardest, even if it fucked things up.

>dad
drunk "bisexual" (repressing gay man) who has always been pretty detached from my life. as a child i would see him on weekends whenever he wasn't on a bender, as a kid i really liked him but the older i got the more i started to see his negative traits. i lived with him for 3-4 years and dealt with his belligerent drunkenness for 2 of those. he moved in with us (my mom and her boyfriend) for a little while then left for arkansas and got married to some filipino guy i think lol. there's not really much to say about my father honestly.

>mom's bf
pretty much the only man my mom has been with that i have any sort of friendship with. huge chud but believes i'm "trutrans" (literally) and says i'm "one of the real ones" that actually should troon out. he told my mom if she wanted to have a relationship with me she had to accept that i was a tranny, pretty based. he's family to me fs even if i hate his racist rants lol
>>
File: GLkZC-4bkAAehMS.jpg (113 KB, 900x1200)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>35539952
tl;dr: not great

>mother
She's a classic case of NPD. She's an emotional abuser who controls the whole family with her tactics. She very effectively utilizes shaming to get what she wants, having grown up in that environment my siblings and I are TERRIFIED of her scorn. When she's not attempting to control people she's tolerable, just don't do anything she doesn't like and you'll think she's sweet.
She doesn't accept me :)

>father
Barely even an impact in my life. My parents are still married and even live in the same house, but I've never had a close relationship with him, nor do I really intend to build one - he just doesn't interest me at all. We share some personality traits, but mostly just the ones I hate in myself.
The only time I think about him is when I compare him to myself - he's what I might have beem if I had let inertia carry me through life, "manned up", and got into an unhappy marriage with some woman who would make all the decisions in life for me. He gives me repressor vibes.
>>
File: x5iw7otbsqrc1.jpg (698 KB, 2862x2412)
698 KB
698 KB JPG
>>35539952
like this.
>>
>>35539952
Fine with my father, I guess bearable with my mum.
>>
Mom: She's a cold, uncaring, selfish bitch. When she speaks to me she seems visibly uncomfortable, she will stutter and saying nothing of substance ("S.soo.. *shivers* how about the weather?")
Dad: He was absent 95% of my life, but at least recently post-adulthood he tried to reconnect. Very boomer mannerisms. I can handle him in 15 minute increments (and he would probably say the same about me).
At least I can actually speak to my Dad, with my Mom we get stuck on the ice-breaking part of the conversation and never progress.
>>
>>35539952
>mom
Alright. She treats me like a human more than anyone else i lived with
>dad
I hate him so fucking much. Beat me, insulted me, degraded me. Moved us all to a rural shithole so he would stay away from other human beings as much as he could, which ruined any opportunity i had to see any other people that wasn’t my family
>brother
Molested me. I would rather not talk to or about him.
>>
mtf here
>mom
gud, she's a decent woman who fixed a lot of her issues over the years and owned up to previous shit behavior. we have a healthy relationship.
>dad
manipulative asshole who is a religious right-wing nutjob. was "okay" with me being trans first but one day suddenly flipped his shit and basically told me to go fuck myself. haven't spoken since. should also mention i had cut him out once before for unrelated just generally insane behavior over the smallest of issues. guys a psycho.
>>
>>35539952
I don't talk to my mom nearly as much as I should, but she loves me and tries her best to be supportive of me, even though I know damn well she doesn't truly think transitioning is a good thing. Still supports me anyway, still does her best to treat me like her daughter and all that.
Now my relationship with my dad, on the other hand. I don't talk to him basically at all. Like, it's my birthday today and I get a text from him type "we don't talk". I don't think he even knows I have a boyfriend now, or that I live with my boyfriend. He definitely hasn't physically seen me since the first 5 months of me transitioning, so he doesn't even actually know what I look like, because I look wildly different at this point.
So all in all I'd say decent, for a tranny. At least my parents don't beat me and raid my room to toss my meds or any of that other abusive shit some people on here experience. Though it MAY be solely due to not living with my parents that they're "supportive", because they know I'll just ghost them for good otherwise.
>>
It’s pretty good. I’m still in regular contact with my parents and capable of having a nice time with them.

They had some trouble with me coming out at first, but they came around.

My dad developed dementia a few years ago. He didn’t seem like the person that used to bully me anymore. I like to think that the person he used to be is just gone now.

I’ve let go of a lot of resentment I had in the past. My parents let me down in a lot of ways, but I recognize now that they were just trying their best and didn’t know any better. And that’s all in the past now anyway. Holding a grudge won’t make it any better.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.