[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: emarey.jpg (77 KB, 690x1000)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>this is /k/ related because MREs are military equipment
What should I include in my larp ration for rucks? It doesn't have to be heated and I don't want to spend $20 a piece on overall mid meals.
>>
Real Mre's are $12 bucks each
>>
>>61441233

They sell bbq beef/pork and various variety’s of chicken and salmon in pouches - I usually carry those with crackers and American cheese product for backup mains on my squirrel hunting/trout fishing trips
>>
>>61441654
*varieties
>>
>>61441602
If you buy in bulk maybe. Hard to find smaller quantities for that cheap.
>>
>>61441602
HDRs can be found for ~$4 apiece online. They're vegetarian, but have a lot more calories.
>>
You can make your own MREs but don't expect them to last as long, mine expire after 6-8 months.
>instant thai noodles
>instant potatoes
>apple sauce
>peanut butter energy bar
>electrolyte powder
>instant coffee
>beef jerky
>crackers
>peanut butter
You can also dehydrate fruit in an air fryer and mix it with instant oats for breakfast. They come out to around $8-$10 apiece.
>>
>>61441233
MREs are designed for doing what you don't need if you are not in combat. You can make your own.

instant oatmeal
hot tang with instant tea blended in
wasa crackers
potted meat
packets of meat
deens
dried fruit
dried cod from Portuguese or Asian food store or online - delicious and light.
ramen.
Take a heavy item like a can of stew and eat it first night out.
Take frozen item like chicken and rice that you make and bag yourself and eat first night.
jerky.
>>
>>61441233
just look up the average MRE's ingredients & use that
you could go the extra mile & get the volume / weight of each one too
>>
>>61441233
Am I missing something? Why wouldn't you just buy any freeze dried, canned, or retort pouch food you like and stuff them into freezer bags or vacuum sealed bags?
>>
>>61441233
Get HDRs instead, it's a whole day's worth of food in a bag for $3.50. You probably won't be able to pick, but if possible get the Sopakco ones. I haven't tried Ameriqual but I hear it has even less variety than the others. I've had Wornick and unfortunately the vegan chili mac that's in three of the menus is absolutely inedible. I think maybe it has a much shorter shelf life than the other entrees and they've gone rancid in two years, but maybe they tasted like vomit from the factory, I'm not sure.

Everything in the Sopakco HDRs is as good as you can possibly expect from a vegan meal with a 3-5 year shelf life, though. I wouldn't mind living on them for a couple of months at a time.
>>
>>61441233
Take the pemmicanpill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_vLuMobHCI&pp=ygUSdG93bnNlbmRzIHBlbW1pY2Fu
>>
>>61445686
Pemmican - American outdoor spirit. I offered my menu ideas based on what Boy Scouts did before they had access to MREs. Freeze dried was too expensive. Scouts with a cooking merit badge could plan and cook campfire meals for 6-10 scouts in a patrol. It had to be cheap, and filling, and practical, and morale boosting, as some of those meals were in rain, extreame cold, high winds. Secret ingredient of Eagle Scouts - Bisquick. Add water and make bread on a stick, or make cherry cobber in a Dutch oven, or dumplings in chicken soup, or just pancakes. (you make a pile of them one at a time, on a small skillet, but serve them with heated syrup and butter for a hot breakfast).
>>
>>61443385
and what I mean is, MREs cause constipation on purpose as shitting in a combat zone is a liability. MRE can eaten without heating or heat signature, MRE are made to not complicate hydration. I think many substitutes are available that meet all of the larp needs but not the actual ones than don't matter, and the substitute can taste better. Costco trail mix is a good one. Gotta have that.
>>
The cheapest most effective way is to buy the main mre course and then use regular food for all the accessories and sides. It would reduce your overall expiration date to a year, but it doesn't much matter. You should be rotating and eating your food anyway.
>>
>>61445686
Pemmican comes up every time somebody has one of these threads
As one of the only anons I've ever run into in these that has actually made and lived off of pemmican in the wilderness: it's fine, it'll keep you going for sure. It's not a very pleasant experience and the novelty is gone after about 2 days.

If you look up historical use of the stuff, it was pretty common to fry it up or cook it into stew. Eating it straight was a desperation measure to be avoided unless necessary, which is solidly in line with my own experiences with the stuff.

>>61441233
Fill a ziploc bag with shit like tastybites and other retort pouch shit from the gorcery store. Congrats, you made an MRE. That's all they are.
>>
>>61446882
Don't you need like 5 pounds of meat to make a pound of pemmican? That's the reason it was made in the first place. They had lots of meat from a kill they had to use or it went bad. For most people it just isn't very cost effective in modern times unless you have a lot of meat from a deer.
>>
>>61446914
Eh I wouldn't sat it's quite that much. Drying out meat is gonna cut its weight by about half in my experience, and then you grind that meat into powder and add enough rendered fat to it to get the paste consistency you need to dry it into bars. Some recipes use dried berries and honey too, which in my experience makes it more palatable raw but doesn't add much if you pan fry it or make stew with it.

You for sure save a lot of volume vs raw meat but the stuff is pretty fucking dense.
>>
>>61446914
If weight and spoilage were the only concerns they would've just dried the meat out and called it a day, anon, not put the additional processing resources into grinding the meat and mixing in fat and other shit that only acts to make it more calorie dense and nutritious.
>>
another thing to consider and yes I know that MRE's are a cool larp but most have not eaten them for months on end. Look into Thermos meals for longer term:
here is how they work > have thermos like the kids box style for soup > make a ziplock bag of rice or other grain plus dehydrated vegies dried meat etc +spices > make your morning hot water for coffee etc. drink that shit and then boil another amount> take a thermos dried meat pack dump in thermos then pour the now boiling water you made and put it into the thermos with the dried good's toss into pack go ruck till your remain overnight postiron open thermos and have hot chow and not have to make a fire for it.

My current blend that is cheap as shit and makes lots for about a 2 bicks a meal is as follows: 1/3 cup of rice, 2 oz dried meat (self made), 1 Echinacea pill 1 collaegn pill (I am old and they help) and give it a mello pho-ish flavor, 1/2 pack of bonebroth mix chicken or beef, 1/3 cup argeson farms dried soup mix 2 table spoons of dried mushrooms, a dash of curry and 3 twists of fresh black pepper.
the dried soup mix is like 16 bucks for a #10 can and that makes 40 packs. the over all flavor is a Pho/light curry mix feel free to experiment but it is nice to get to a camp and set up my shit and not have to fuck with a fire or cook plus the considerations of fires at night in hostile enviroments and have hot chow before bed.
>>
>>61441602
my main problem is their physical size, they are so bulky. You can ratfuck them but that isn't an ideal solution
>>
>>61450977
they're about the smallest thing you're gonna get that isn't a bag of freezedried powder
you got 3 options
>go to the camping section, grab a few mountain house meals
>go to the food section, grab a few hormel compleats
>use an actual ration
even fresh food is "mid", what matters is if you're hungry, because hunger is the best spice
>>
take the bushmeat pill
>>
>I want X thing
>X thing, in this case, costs $12 for exactly what X is, and is 100% what I want
>hmmmm, I am however a retarded faggot seeking attention
>I'll do it myself for double or triple the money for a vastly inferior imitation of what I want
>plus, in two weeks I'll get to make yet another attention seeking thread about how my expectations werent met after I purposely did the wrong thing

pottery

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.