[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What do you think of the new MLRs that the USMC stood up.
>light infantry
>mobile ASM trucks
>mobile cruise missile trucks
>iron dome air defense systems
>GATOR radars
To me it makes a lot of sense for pacific operations
>>
>>61437456
Maybe they could also take advantage of the navy’s new counter UAS palletized systems as well
>>
>>61437456
I think the USMC should be made up entirely of MLRs and MEUs and leave everything else to the army.
>>
>>61437456
Pretty unique force structure and actually useful. About damn time
>>
>>61437456
>tfw got out of the marine corps infantry years before suppressors and m27s were standard issue
>>
I kinda like the idea, but it seems toothless. Well supported, but toothless. Three rifle companies and no armor to island hop? I get they're intended to create forward airfields, but that's contingent on the islands they occupy being unfortified and putting up no resistance; which doesn't seem likely in an island hopping campaign. IMO needs something lightweight and amphibious, but punchy. Like a modernized Ontos.
>>
>>61437555
The islands being hopped aren’t Iwo Jima sized islands that require armor. They don’t need islands large enough to support an airfield as they have carrier assets in the region. They just need small plots of land to set up missile trucks on. If a large island is being defended by armor there is no reason to even go near it
>>
>>61437574
/thread
>>
>>61437555
If a contested landing HAD to be accomplished air power would wipe the island as good as it could and then the army would be sent in on their barges
>>
>>61437462
Does that have any soft kill mechanism for drones too?
>>
>>61437621
sir, this is a wendys
>>
>>61437456
>iron dome
muh dick. I’m pleased that we have entered the timeline where the US is taking ground based air defense seriously. Just 5 years ago all the marines had was dismounts with stingers
>>
>>61437462
Why not mount this onto a JLTV? I thought HMMVs where on their way out entirely
>>
>>61437530
Same. I had the A4 tactical club with 10 miles of rail
>>
>>61437555
When I was in the most utility that the tanks provided was that everyone said they were from 2nd tanks when they got called out for not having a haircut in the PX
>>
>>61437574
>Comfy little tropical island with the bros and some missile trucks
>No hellish assaults on fortified murder mountains or clearing cave fulls of japs
>Only "opposition" is a small indigenous population of people in desperate need of BWC and green cards
Ngl sounds like a pretty comfy way to spend WW3
>>
>>61437741
Indeed. Have the Seabees come out with an excavator and concrete truck to make some comfy underground bunk rooms. Imagine taking a break from playing spades to take a quick swim in the pacific
>>
>>61437574
Never thought about it like this before. A small island would be useless in ww2 but now with missiles it’s not
>>
>>61437456
How does this differ from a MEU
>>
>>61438001
Well a MEU is much bigger. It has its own combat air wing and logistical unit attached to an infantry battalion and some artillery. They are used when you need troops quickly in a hotspot such as reinforcing an embassy. They’ve been used in the past to reinforce embassies or deploy to combat in the Middle East. They can also conduct humanitarian missions like the ones they did in Haiti
>>
>>61438037
Ahh ok thanks
>>
>>61437456
I’m all for it. Wish they had a way to shoot LRASM tho
>>
>>61438225
They have superbugs and f35s for that
>>
>>61437456
It’s an actually useful and non-duplicative capability that makes sense for the marines. I’m a big fan of the idea.
>>
>>61437456
>nooooooo you have to embark useless tanks towed artillery tubes to fight on a 13 acre island 200 miles from the nearest island
>>
>>61437456
Finally a good thread, yes I think this a smart move. The marines were not supposed to be a second army
>>
I’m here for it
>>
>>61437456
No, I want my marines in death trap AAVs and obsolete MBTs
>>
>>61437675
HMMVs are not being entirely replaced. JLTVs are too expensive and not needed for most things.
>>
>>61438660
JLTVs number in the tens of thousands. They aren’t really that expensive
>>
Incredible
>>
>>61437456
>mobile ASM trucks
>mobile cruise missile trucks

ahh yes the "expected" "in development" and "planned" USMC™ cruise missile trucks, may we see one?
>>
>>61439064
They are already in service
https://news.usni.org/2023/07/25/marines-activate-first-tomahawk-battery
>>
File: 7931712.jpg (1.64 MB, 5464x8192)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>61439088
It's so darn cute
>>
>>61437456
Marines suck
They recruit fartsniffing faggots who fondle themselves on OnlyFans for change
It's really embarrassing
>>
>>61439088
>They are already in service
>https://news.usni.org/2023/07/25/marines-activate-first-tomahawk-battery
>>61439120
1 single unit

lmfao holy actual shit wtf is going on anymore?
>>
>>61439131
>fartsniffing faggots who fondle themselves on OnlyFans for change
>It's really embarrassing
link to your moms onlyfans™, when?
>>
>>61439187
>they don’t exist
>okay they do exist
>first unit means there is and will only be one
I am glad to have BTFO you
>>
>>61439131
This is oddly specific
>>
>>61439292
army guys and airmen see marines with their jacked arms and sleeves rolled up, and it makes them go into a cold-fusion tier seethe at room temperature

^many such cases
>>
File: 7931711-scaled.jpg (173 KB, 2048x1366)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>61439187
OMG. The number of Tomahawk launchers has doubled in the last 38 minute?!?!
>>
>>61439354
1 unit will have 16 launchers eventually...
>expected
>planned
>in development
lol, as usual
>>
>>61439368
>they don’t have any
>ok they only have 1
>nooo don’t post a picture with 2 in it it’s not fair
>>
dafqs a littoral mayne?
>>
File: IMG_6422.jpg (5 KB, 230x150)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>61437456
Major problem the USMC has is everyone wants to be a salt dog but nobody wants to remember/pass on the basics EX go to any unit and ask any fucker how his back up sights work past 25 meters second POGS/wooks need to stay in there lane hazing needs to be implemented heavily they have destroyed my precious Marine Corps. Third paper trails destroy moral and retention article 15s are handed out for simply breathing wrong, now days everything is paper work it’s pretty much over
>>
>>61439640
My unit stressed back up iron sight training. Everyone knew how to use them
>>
>>61439640
>>61439670
so wait..holy fuck, the Marine corp no longer has default iron-sight rifle training?
^this is optional now?
>>
>>61439729
What? SOI teaches iron sights and so do individual units. Concerned?
>>
>>61439772
>Concerned?
^genuinely
define "teaching"
because these two posters
>>61439640
>>61439670
imply this "teaching" is tertiary, or something that is glossed over in a handwave
>"the batteries will never run out marine, and if they do, go see gunny-alvarez over there"
>>
>>61437456
>completely gut all capabilities and functions in order to fight a fictional war that will never happen
>complete trust in technologies that can all be countered by a near peer
Yeah, real good idea.
>>
>>61439784
Teaching as in they teach you how to do it in SOI and then depending on your unit your gunner will set up ranges for iron sight proficiency. It’s a lot better than other branches do
>>
>>61439802
They only got rid of tech that’s near useless for their role. China has never demonstrated the ability to intercept missiles in combat
>>
>>61439670
Unit? And is it reoccurring requirement in the field let’s say you get new drops those fuckers are now late to the iron sight class will they get that same training
>>
>>61439840
They would have just received the training in SOI and then would have to wait for the next one. Is there a military force that is more aggressive in their iron sight training that you are thinking of
>>
>>61439813
>their role
The marines have always been the mini army. Infantry is infantry and combined arms is combined arms. The USMC is useless within any other context beyond taking micro islands that again, will never happen.
>China ne-
China has C-RAM, China has radar, China has jamming, China has missiles of their own. It’s a stupid idea that might’ve worked back in the 90s and early 2000s, but this idea now is like still believing that the US “owns the night” when every mother fucker has thermals and nvgs now.
>>
>>61439858
russia )))
>>
File: IMG_5272.jpg (196 KB, 1024x583)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
Looks like Island hopping is back on the menu
>>
>>61438660
why
>>
>>61439802
I think the Marines should cede the amphibious/littoral role to the Army, that way in the future it'll be easier to disband the entire Corps.
>>
It’s based beyond reason
>>
>>61437741
Except the fact it's tiny means its easily plastered by cruise missiles.
>>
>>61437456
It's pretty dumb. They'll be stir-fried by the Chinese.
>>
>>61437456
Marines are doing all the right things. If only the Navy could also figure it the fuck out, that would be cool. Army is getting there, but doing Army things.
>>
>>61441031
Assuming every island in SEA and SCS are football-field sized and their anti-air capabilities are on par with the Russians.
>>61441045
Okay Chang.
>>
>>61441045
Implessive
>>
>>61437456
More relevant to US interests than the entire army
>>
Incredible
>>
>>61437574
> They just need small plots of land to set up missile trucks on

How do you get "missile trucks" on those small plots of land, with no airport or heavy landing craft?
>>
>>61439228
> One prototype on a test deployment to see if it can be moved on a C-17 is an unassailable arsenal of American Power!

You're always fun.
>>
>>61443469
They have landing craft
>>
Incredible. No one else has a force like this
>>
File: Marine Raider.jpg (314 KB, 1440x960)
314 KB
314 KB JPG
Only Chinese Communist Party agents and their useful idiots argue against the United States Marine Corps
>>
>>61444649
I don’t think that’s correct
>>
>>61444653
Fuck off Commie
>>
>>61443469
>heavy landing craft
but they do have heavy landing crafts, retard, the LCUs are rated for 200 tons, and the LCACs are rated for 65 tons, more than enough to carry a JLTV with no cabin and a single tomahawk cell
also those tomahawk launchers look light enough to be slingloaded under a king stallion.
>>
>>61444660

*sigh*

The new light Marines, the topic of this actual thread, explicitly do not use real amphibious transport. They're supposed to use the new yet to be designed mini transports to prance around the Pacific before being sunk.
>>
>>61445114
14 have already been built
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spearhead-class_expeditionary_fast_transport
>>
As to landing troops and equipment, the light Marines don't. Their transport, being bought before it's even designed, is nominally supposed to beach. So any discussion of LCAC and heavy helicopter lift means you simply are not informed on this topic.
>>
>>61445131
The new transports are a new design not Spearheads, and the Spearheads, except possibly for the new medical variant, are being scraped.
>>
>>61445147
But they exist right now. And they can be used to get missile trucks on islands. The fact that a newer variant is being designed doesn’t stop that fact
>>
>>61445159

Decommissioning FY 2025:

USNS Spearhead (EPF-1), USNS Choctaw County (EPF-2), USNS Millinocket (EPF-3), USNS Fall River (EPF-4)
>>
>>61445170
Okay so 10 left after 2025. Your failing to make a convincing argument for being concerned on how the marines will get missile trucks onto a small island
>>
File: 410478.jpg (1.01 MB, 2920x1643)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>61437456
>Marine littoral regiment
Complete trash, the Marine Corp went from being the world's premiere shock light infantry to castrating their abilities so now the entire branch is just a shitty version of a WW2 Marine defense battalion all while being overly reliant on the US Army. The Marines themselves don't even know what the fuck they want which is why they are adopting a mismatch of gear while being overly reliant on technology that would not be sustainable to use in any sort of war (see the current conflict in Ukraine). Worst of all, a littoral regiment has no firepower so a typical thurdie mechanized company would completely roll over it. Instead of adopting practical things such as 35ton light tanks and 105mm howitzers they are buying meme shit like this >>61439120.
>>
>>61445159

New transports are not a "Spearhead Variant". They're a clean sheet. And the Spearhead is a bus with very limited passenger endurance, and realistically needs a port to unload. There is no wet ramp, well or beaching capability.
>>
>>61445249

New Commandant who upends everything to make his mark, then retires before the work is done and disaster unfolds.
>>
>>61445257
They can unload onto a beach. Says so right in the wiki
>>
>>61445286

> the ramp for piers and quay walls

Do you understand the difference between a "beach" and a "pier"?
>>
>>61445268
The worst part is that it has been a slow burn destruction of the Corps as Soloman has been seething about it for years now
>https://www.snafu-solomon.com/

I also hate how there were a few good things they were going to implement (like the new squad that had a Carl G in it and the overdue assistant squad leader) but of course that was too practical and axed it
>>
Pic related is what they decided on finally for their new squad

While >>61445310 (and the superior option) was previously floated around before they axed it
>>
>>61445249
>gets a new AAV
>mismatch of gear
Retard
>>
>>61445319
Well you are nice and early for your shift! Like clock work.
>>
>>61437456
What a dumb idea.
>>
>>61445343
What kind of response is this? Are you the eglin AFB schizo. What mismatched gear
>>
>>61437456
What a great idea
>>
>>61437555
Tanks are already of limited usage in conventional land wars, what the fuck would island hoppers need them for? Air power and drones are there for all the heavy lifting, the infantry are well equipped enough to handle the rest
>>
>>61437456
Great structure. It’s cool because only the US could pull a force like this off, maybe the bugs too
>>
I like it
>>
>>61439354
holy shit at this rate there will be trillions by the end of the day
>>
>>61445973
>okay so there’s trillions but they probably won’t have quintillions
>>
Marines are like gods
>>
>>61446328
no they are idiots who botch operations and get themselves killed
>>
>>61445317
Honestly at first I thought you were a seething retard, but I actually think you're right

Think pic 1 would end up being 2 squads or atleast 2 different elements but that's not really a bad thing. Add a couple attachments like enablers and belt feds and it can really start to function as a small plt for some purposes.

Honestly 2 of these and a smaller weapons squad could be a really nice task org for a plt

Like instead of ass1 ass2, sec, support

Just keep one squad as ass1 and chop up the second as needed.
>>
>>61446353
Kek the insecurity from this post
>>
I think the Marines are "underfunded" because "properly" funded government institutions always become shittier and shittier from bloat
>>
>>61445249
>typical thurdie mechanized company
and how do you think a typical thirdie is going to land an entire mechanized company on a fucking island? do you fags even understand why they're making these changes?
>>
>>61446743
It’s all a coping mechanism because the marines are actually doing the right thing for once. Of course China doesn’t want more dispersed missiles in the pacific
>>
Based
>>
>>61437675
I'm guessing,
A: These things probably don't need to be armored.
B: Many allies already operate humvees, so these can be exported.
>>
>>61446943
You’re probably right
>>
Does any other western military have mobile missile launchers in a rapidly deployable force like that?
>>
>>61447036
you are asking if any other military has trucks with missiles?
Are the marines just an artillery force now?
>>
>>61447052
No, if you read further I was asking if any other western military has vehicle mounted missiles and the gear to transport them to tiny islands on short notice. Reading comprehension anon
>>
>>61437741
The whole reason you are there is to soak up missile attacks. It would be comfy until it wasn’t.
>>
Literally (littorally) what marines are supposed to be able to do. Probably jumped the gun on restructuring it but it will happen
>>
>>61437758
The Seabees are down to a single battalion, and they're having trouble just getting to the Med to help the Army build that silly pier in Gaza. I'm not sure how much they'd be able to help in a future conflict.
>>
>>61447129
Just attach the USS Carney 50 miles away and nothing can get through. Problem solved
>>
>>61437555
The new amphibious vehicles will provide some armor. But smashing fortifications will be done by the organic air assets of the corps.
>>
>>61445249
Please explain how they get their t90mlgbtq onto the island? And using Ukraine as an example is pretty fucking retarded. It's not a US peer conflict.
>>
>>61448703
> smashing fortifications will be done by the organic air assets of the corps.

These mini Marines are supposed to go off raiding alone. The big amphibious ships and their air wings aren't supposed to be there. If they were, the Marines would just use their standard assault ships and tactics.
>>
>>61447392
Right but most of Marie’s held islands in a hypothetical China war will just have to make do with diggin in and whatever is emplaced at the island before the missiles land.
>>
>>61437478
This is basically the plan isnt it?
>>
>>61448845
No they will be deployed from a larger parent unit. They won’t be just riding around the ocean you retard. If they were deployed you can bet your ass that the air wing will be all over the place too
>>61448943
Well when you’re in a major modern war you’re just going to have to risk being blown up. That’s not a good e enough reason not to do it
>>
File: rannikkotykki.png (688 KB, 759x573)
688 KB
688 KB PNG
>>61437574
>They just need small plots of land to set up missile trucks on.
A missile truck relies entirely on shooting and scooting before enemy counterartillery can target them
Small rocks would be better for solid coastal artillery pieces, such as the beast in picrel
>>
>>61449126
Enemy artillery? What the fuck are you talking about
>>
Friendly reminder to take a deep breath and keep in mind the MLAR are only 3 regiments out of more than a dozen line regiments, plus all the other combat units like FAST, LAV BNs, Recon Bn, Force Recon, etc.

So the Corps haven't lost their heads; they're testing/planning out an idea of how the future might play.
>>
>>61449098
Yea I’m just pointing that out as I have ran through this scenario in my head many times trying to figure out what modern infantry would like in a fight against China.my conclusion is that it’s a bunch of dying to missiles or nothing. Being the defenders for a chink landing would be wild.
>>
>>61449098
> you retard

Given that you've demonstrated you're utterly uninformed about this topic, you really shouldn't throw that term around so casually.
>>
>>61437456
>Marine littoral regiment
Marines are already a littoral force, why the tautology?
>>
>>61449126
In this scenario the missile and its range is used for standoff capability. The island is not hiding immediately after its strike and it doesn’t need to cuz they will dig in or take them to a boat if a counter attack is coming.
>>
>>61437555
I am neverserved so can someone enlighten me? Didn't marines have tanks during the pacific island hopping campaign? If weight is the issue, isn't there slightly lighter tanks/armored vehicles?
Also, isn't seizing and establishing airfields the Ranger's job?
I am also confused, why is this massive overhaul of Marines happening? They seem to be doing fine so far.
>>
>>61450073
Completely different island hopping campaign. In ww2 the US needed a large island to serve as an airfield/refueling station. Large islands can be defended. Small islands serve no purpose before guided missiles were invented. Now that guided missiles have been invented and are only the size of a steak bed truck, small deserted islands are useful
>>
>>61450127
In WW2 the US needed to drag out the japanese war until after Germany had lost so they did some "island hopping" stupidity to completely irrelevant islands to launch completely irrelevant bombing missions on Jap civilians
>>
>>61450127
Aren't even small islands defensible given proper measures? Like how Iwo Jima was a really bloody fight becasue the Japanese dug in and Kuribayashi implemented smart measures instead of suicidal charges?
>>
>>61445249
t. underage and neverserved
>>
>>61437555
Yeah I get the weight concerns but, small islands where a 120mm gun can shoot from one end to the other that have at best a hill-line or two for cover feel like the forte of actual armor of some kind.
Shermans were mogging Japanese armor which have basically the same thickness of the vehicles the USMC are pressing today. I wouldn't want to face one of China's light tanks in anything the marines are driving to shore with.
>>
>>61450139
You guys are both right. All island hopping could have been forgone but at the time it was just a chance they couldn’t take.
>>
Send engineers to drill through it and make an unkillable fire base
>>
>>61445114
Do you really think the littoral regiment won't have the ability to land 4x4s?
>>
>>61445249
>AShMs are 'meme shit'
>>
>>61445317
In what way is the squad layout the USMC has used since the 1950s "new"?
>>
>>61450139
What was the alternative to island hopping?
>>
>>61452633
>Blows up the entrances with PGMs
Have fun starving to death
>>
>>61452703
I’m sure non obvious escape tunnels can be built as well. Some iron domes and EW can be added and an infantry with machine guns and ATGMs could probably defend it. Also a guided missile destroyer can swing by if it needs to
>>
File: Fi5JroSWYAA8xQh.jpg (130 KB, 923x455)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>61437555
>>61450073
The USMC is adopting a version of the ACV with a 30mm cannon.
>>
>>61445310
Solomon is a faggot and a vatnik
notice that he's stopped doomposting about the F-35?
>>
>>61450140
That's not a small island that's a large island.
>>
Based beyond belief
>>
>>61437555
It's more about contesting the 1st island chain in a scenario where China is the aggressor then it is about joint forceable entry. EABO thinks about the Marine Corps and land-warfare operations as a subordinate element of prosecuting a naval campaign.

Realistically any scenario where the US must perform joint forceable entry in the Pacific will heavily rely on the US Army, Airforce and the combat power the bring to the table, it won't be the sole purview of the USMC.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.