[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: homer.png (12 KB, 57x85)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
Are there ever going to be anymore prophets in Christianity?
I know Islam said Muhammed was the last one and the Jewish are waiting for the Messiah.
But is there like a section of the Bible where it says that there won't be another prophet since it's been like 2000 years since Jesus.
>>
>>16553468
The deposit of faith is closed.
>>
The age of the Church is the "final" age, there will be no more public revelation until the very end.
Prophesying isn't dead, though, obviously, it's just that we aren't strictly expected to obey what is given after the OT prophets & NT apostles.
>>
File: 1712673824590751.jpg (39 KB, 612x551)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>16553468
>is there like a section of the Bible where it says that there won't be another prophet
No, actually quite the opposite.
>"15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them." - Mathew 7
>>
>>16553468
No, there's no new revelation until the Second Coming
>>
>>16553468
The Hebrew prophets never stopped existing. A prophet did way more than give prophecies. God use them to give personal messages to people too. When he wants to speak to the king or a noble person, or a righteous man is in need of a warning. God may send his servants to them to give them the message. Or they go come to him when they want to speak to God.
>>
>>16553468
There will be consistent private revelation but no new dogmatic changes to the church. Like theological DLC. You don’t need to believe in divine mercy or heychasm but it’s nice if you do.
>>
File: 1696708938092646.jpg (81 KB, 400x300)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>16553468
>But is there like a section of the Bible where it says that there won't be another prophet since it's been like 2000 years since Jesus.
At the end of the book of Revelation, it indicates that the "time of the end" is now at hand, implying that this is the divine revelation that we have until Jesus comes back.

"And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand."
- Revelation 22:10

This is a callback to what it says at the end of the book of Daniel.

"And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things?
And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end."
- Daniel 12:8-9

Paul also mentions that there will come a time when the specific sign gifts will cease which follow the apostles' ministry, such as being unharmed by serpent venom, speaking in tongues, and the gifts of healing. Recall that these signs were mentioned in Mark 16 at the end of the Gospel, as a sign that would "confirm the word" which the apostles said, those who wrote the New Testament. Revelant passages here:

"And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen."
- Mark 16:17-20

"Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away."
- 1 Corinthians 13:8-10
>>
File: joseph_smith_kirtland.jpg (63 KB, 800x400)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>16553468
No, the last prophet died in 1844.
>>
>>16553468
There will be 2 more prophets before the end comes that will herald jesus’s return
>But is there like a section of the Bible where it says that there won't be another prophet
In revelation, it tells the brief story two final prophets that will come. There are also allusions to them elsewhere in the bible.
>>
>>16555057
>1945*
>>
File: 1710781221884855.png (32 KB, 856x250)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>16555059
>In revelation, it tells the brief story two final prophets that will come.
That would be after Jesus' return and during the wrath of God.
>>
File: nelson.png (35 KB, 650x194)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>16555057
Sounds like you could learn a thing or two about the LDS faith
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/prophets
>>
>>16555094
Its during the tribulation before jesus comes back. Jesus comes back after the tribulation, right?
>>
>>16555126
Yeah, the tribulation is never stated to be seven years long though anywhere. It's actually only the first part of the seven years.

"And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate."
- Daniel 9:27

You see this major event happening "in the midst of" the week. In other words, halfway through the seven years.
>>
>>16555126
>Its during the tribulation before jesus comes back.
I would place the two prophets and the 144,000 after the tribulation and during the wrath period in the second half of the seven years btw.

The 144,000 are resurrected Israelites who have physical bodies, since Christ has returned and every saved person at that point has resurrection bodies.
>>
File: 1242623753566755647794.jpg (112 KB, 900x900)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>16553468
picrel
>>
>>16553471
Yeah...this is Kali Yuga, the era of wait and see is over, time to call the bluffs and find out who F'd up the most.
>>
>>16553468
Yes, they are the saints that appeared a lot throughout history. But proties dismiss them while waiting for someone else.
>>
>>16553468
There's lots of Christian prophets out there dude. Get a shortwave radio; the bands are full of em.
>>
>>16555112
Oh yeah I forgot God is talking to every Mormon leader since smith.
>>
>>16555271
Saints aren't prophets
>>
>>16555146
Terry 3:16
>And God told me in a vision, you will witness a plague of niggerlicious niggercattle that will not be able to construct a compiler
Terry 4:2
>They will call to themselves as people coming from the land of Massachusetts institute of technology
>>
>>16555094
Revelation is too symbolic to lay out the end times this systematically, which is why everyone disagrees about it. There will be a period of tribulation and false prophets followed by the final judgement and the new heavens and new earth. I don't make it much more specific than that.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.