[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Ascent.jpg (59 KB, 800x600)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
So basically, is there a Linux Distro that runs most of the OS in the RAM without having to load much from the disk (besides booting etc...)? Alternatively, can you tweak Windows to load more of the OS into the RAM?

I'm asking because I want to rely on HDDs for my system partitions and I have plenty of RAM too. Though I have noticed that most stock desktop environments and modern Windows operating systems run like crap on hard drives. I don't care about the bootup time or clogged up RAM modules -> I only want smooth performance on HDDs.
>>
>>100136229
Every OS already does this. I've never noticed a difference in system performance between HDDs and SSDs after the system is booted. Application start times will be different of course, but that's not the OS.
>>
there's a flag you can turn on to force linux to run entirely in ram

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.