[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: computer storage.jpg (98 KB, 500x375)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
Both my 2TB ssds are on red(it means its almost full on windows) so im looking for 5tb ssds that are compatible with Asrock Taichi x570 motherboard,AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core 3600 mhz processor and 2080 Ti graphics card.
Any recomendations?
>>
>>100129686
>red(it
backblaze drive stats btw
/thread
>>
You can plug any SATA drive to your ports, there is no compatibility
>>
File: image.png (57 KB, 981x533)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>100129686
>Any recomendations?
Invent time machine.
>>
>>100130037
what. the fuck.
>>
>>100129686
Recommend me a good long-term external storage drive or good articles/reviews about those. Drives don't have to be bigger than 64GB, I only have like 60GB of stuff to back-up, what's important is longevity and sturdiness.
>>
File: 900x1200.jpg (121 KB, 900x791)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>100130155
pretty sure a couple redundant copies of m-disc blu rays is your best option for something that small.
hdds are unpredictable.
ssds lose charge when unpowered.
tape requires climate controlled storage and extremely expensive drives.
>>
>>100129686
Your motherboard has 3 M.2 slots so you do have room for a third one. However they do not make 5tb ssd's. 4tb is the closest one.

So any 4tb M.2 or 4tb sata ssd is gonna work. The TEAMGROUP MP34 4tb would be my M.2 recommendation. Since you have the room for one no point in going SATA.
>>
>>100130231
Please forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm a board tourist and not a techy guy.
>pretty sure a couple redundant copies of m-disc blu rays is your best option for something that small.
Those can be burned only once, right? I kinda wish for something that can be updated, like, I want to delete or add some files later, but it could do I guess.
>hdds are unpredictable.
Even if they just lay in a drawer and are used only from time to time?
Also if I bought three drives, the probability of losing all my data would go down since I still have two copies, right? What is the probability that all three drives would fail?
>ssds lose charge when unpowered.
Yeah, that's a bummer since as I said, I want to buy storage for backup in case of drive/computer failure, not regular use. It would sit in a drawer normally. So seems like that is out of the question.
>tape requires climate controlled storage and extremely expensive drives.
How expensive are we talking?
>>
>>100130554
M-discs are for writing once and forgetting them in a overheated attic / flooded basement / permafrozen hut for a decade, then discovering them accidentally and reading the contents just fine.
If you are going to verify and rewrite your backups at least once a year SSDs are fine enough and 128GB m.2-usb sticks cost almost the same as 100GB M-discs.

>tape
>How expensive are we talking?
$5000 for a used previous gen drive.
And by climate controlled storage I mean actual controlled humidity and temperature in a sealed room.
>>
>>100130753
USB sticks seem convenient and compact, but as you've said, it still needs to be plugged-in at least once a year, right? I'm afraid I may forget and lose my stuff. Sure, they are less vulnerable to mechanical failure, but it's not like I'm gonna be throwing the HDDs around.
How long can HDDs hold data compared to SSDs/flash drives(if regularly plugged in)?
I think I will be going with HDDs, but I still would like to know how long can a good HDD or solid-state hold data before I will have to buy a fresh one.
>>
>>100131206
you can get 90s computers with working hard drives that haven't been turned on in more than two decades
>>
>>100132082
Hope it's true. If it's true that HDDs have good longevity, I would like to know some good brands/models of them. I have some money saved up and I don't buy much stuff so it doesn't have to be the absolute cheapest model as long as the price isn't astronomical.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.