[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (2.59 MB, 1467x1127)
2.59 MB
2.59 MB PNG
>Writing / Modifying a Motorola 68k emulator to run archived disk images for very rare and expensive Tektronix Logic Analyzers (DAS9200 / LV500).
I found a bunch of 400Kb format 5.25" disks that installs a UNIX based OS from '86 that runs on Tektronix DAS9200 / LV500 logic analyzers which used a Motorola 68010. The machines are extremely rare and as complex as you can imagine for a late 80's logic analyzer. They are capable of 'emulating' M68k processors on Devices Under Test, provided correct addon boards and probe heads are installed. I'm not looking to test everything, or emulate addon boards, just really would like to test that the UNIX OS is working and the disks can install before killing a working machine.

>Hardware
The very first versions had a Motorola 68010 processor, 2 MB of RAM, a 10 MB hard disk drive, a 360KB/400Kb 5.25" floppy drive and three RS-232 ports. Newer versions / upgraded machines have
similar specs but had more RAM, bigger HD and used a 3.5" floppy drive. I can find newer specs / upgrade options from Tektronix's 1987-1990s product catalogues you need.

>Disk images
Someone has uploaded the disks in question to https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/File:DAS9200_LV500_Software.zip and https://archive.org/details/das-9200-lv-500-software
I would really like to verify these disks are in proper working order before bricking a working machine that runs an older version than the disks on that archive. I've viewed the archived images in a hex editor and everything seems to be correctly archived (you can find strings that suggest the media was archived correctly).
>>
maybe ask this guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCerEIdrEW-IqwvlH8lTQUJQ
>>
>>100127281
i think he has a logic analyzer from that vendor running an OS with X.org on top of it
>>
File: file.png (1.2 MB, 736x926)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
>>100127281
I thought about that too, but have no idea how to contact someone like that.

So /g/, how possible is it to modify an emulator to get it to read, boot and use these disks? I don't know jack shit about emulation desu but I'm willing to expand my skills. The most complex thing I've written are a few compilers and interpreters for toy languages I made, so I feel like I could learn how to do this, I just don't want to go down a rabbit hole that just isn't possible.
>>
File: file.png (1.86 MB, 1395x855)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB PNG
>>100127308
>OS with X.org
Yeah, he has a HP 16500C machine, but not much Tek stuff. I know he is very fond of old HP.
>>
File: file.png (2.55 MB, 1699x1145)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB PNG
>ASIC SOVL
>>
File: file.png (2.41 MB, 1597x1153)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB PNG
>>100127519
>Develop chips they said
>it will be fun they said
>>
File: file.png (2.16 MB, 1405x1111)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB PNG
fwiw /g/, i tried a few 68k emulators and threw some of the media into it and they all crashed.
Now i know most of them are using various board architectures / ROMs and there is obviously going to be incompatibilities.

What I want to know is, if i start modifying the source to allow these disks to run on these systems, wouldn't i need the ROMs from the DAS 9200 / LV 500s? Or does that not matter as much as having the OS media?

Looking at the OS media in a hex editor, I see it's basically just installing a custom UNIX OS.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.