[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault.jpg (97 KB, 1280x720)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
Every thread I see about this app, gets slept on. No posts. "Not FOSS, don't care". Shitposts. There are digital hoarding threads that go on a good while but, no threads for notetaking? No journalling? No digital scrapbooking?

Is this some kind-of psyop? Smokescreen? The intellectuals are hiding in the mountains?

My shitposting fix has gone into this bloated POC program with the apparent lack of interesting activity online and, I can't stop now.

...Don't tell me; people really use Apple Notes in a extended fashion? You aren't being ironic anymore, are you?
>>
SIR REDEEM EMAC ORG MODE WITH IMMEDIACY!!!!
>>
>>100125365
I've heard this before. My reply: Muh plugins.

I can pretend i'm modding css here and really rice. I can't in emacs; that plugin list is barebones.
>>
>>100125314
There's only so much you can say about note taking. You can explain your method to people who don't use any note taking programs yet, compare your method to one or two other systems, but that's about it.
I'd go even further and say that people who talk about it more than that don't use note taking as a tool and instead use it as a hobby - meaning they put more time and effort into creating the notes than they get value out of them.
I also see a lot of people use obsidian to procrastinate. They don't actually want to do hard work, so they "make notes" which gives them the illusion of productivity so they can feel better about how they are using their time, but at the end of the day they are still procrastinating.
Basically people who talk about it a lot are probably either abusing it to procrastinate, trying to sell you something (influencers) or wasting their own time in a "the emperor's new clothes" type situation. If you use it productively, there's just not much to say.
>>
Not FOSS, don't care
>>
>>100125689
...You cannot procrastinate in practical notetaking though. What you choose to use, is all useful and, you can only write naturally as far as what would be useful. This is the same in digital notetaking or paper journalling and, you will feel like "screw this" when you're close to writing too much.

You're right about how you can just discuss methods but, there's depth. I was hoping I could find some specific discussion on file management and backing things up, since I lost a month of daily notes and, it seems like every week, I lose some file, somewhere. I feel like the amount of eggheads that shill the program for uni and dev, has affected it's rep to the point of toxicity too. Too much up-front praise doesn't look good to crowdsurfers that go by "there's no such thing as perfect".
>>
If you want me to use proprietary software, it better be for something less trivial than a fucking notes app.
>>
>>100125868
>...You cannot procrastinate in practical notetaking though.
True, but my point is that a large portion of users of obsidian do not engage in practical note taking. They are users who waste their time emulating some influencer who told them this will fix their productivity (it won't). Not that that's an inherent fault of the software, but it is often the case.
>This is the same in digital notetaking or paper journalling and, you will feel like "screw this" when you're close to writing too much.
Yeah, that's why a significant portion stops taking notes eventually.
>I was hoping I could find some specific discussion on file management and backing things up, since I lost a month of daily notes and, it seems like every week, I lose some file, somewhere.
My system is closer to a Zettelkasten one, so I use 5 folders:
Meta (which gets attachments as well as notes and TOCs if I make some (rarely)), inbox (for concepts ai want to look into), maybe (for concepts I want to put off but not forget), literature (for notes on books, articles etc.) and permanent (for most digested notes). Inside these folders it's all intentionally non hierarchical meaning it all goes in the same level.
As for backups, it's just a folder with text files and attachments, assuming you don't attach too many videos or images it'll fit on any thumb drive. Wrote a simple script to backup the files somewhere I a regular interval, and while you're at it write one to sync the notes to your phone. It's not really complex.
> I feel like the amount of eggheads that shill the program for uni and dev, has affected it's rep to the point of toxicity too.
Maybe, but other people being retarded is their problem, not mine. Bullet journaling is a neat way to organize my day to day and can be explained in 1 A4 page. The fact that idiots make hundreds of videos and blogs with near infinite text and promise shit that has nothing to do with the system doesn't make it any worse.
>>
>>100125314
why would I need to take notes
>>
>>100126013
>True, but my point is that a large portion of users of obsidian do not engage in practical note taking.
That's an acute observation, yes. What does that point prove however?
>Yeah, that's why a significant portion stops taking notes eventually.
Again, I'd like to know what you're getting at here. If it's other people, then it's other people. I need to observe the wave and flow, not follow it and pretend to be it.

Interesting system. I might reformat with your design in mind; thank you. It's simple enough conceptually, but I notice you don't mention anything special as far as file nesting and syncing. I've got different folders as different journalling purpose, some of them started as entire projects. It's getting a little dizzying on first sight to me and, I'm finding that my files are easier to access from the wrong ends. As a result, most of my writing s on a vault instance that is so heavily crippled, that the window flashes gray at some unknown interval; only a Force Reload can fix this. I've lost enough writing to it so, I'll probably force myself to find the Plugin at fault at some point.

>>100126023
Creative outlet, using technology. Facilitates greater mental mastery, and linguistic and logical practice. That is all. Primarily at least.

It can help you to collage information together too. There's enough technobabble videos out there on learning and studying to tell you. It's hip to refrain from spoonfeeding here nowadays so, I'll just tell you why I do it.

If I write the ideas down, they aren't just in my head, but before my eyes. I can then, from the page or screen, see them in both places. I can draw associations, review, and follow up on old ideas; or see how my train-of-thought is. I can find patterns that would be hidden otherwise and, react on those patterns.

You only really know your present mind, like how you don't see the tip of your nose. Notes let me work my way around my thoughts.
>>
>>100125314
There are plenty of great FOSS text editors and file managers. That's how I take notes.
>>
you sound like a retarded pseud op :)
>>
>>100125314
i have a text file i write in sometimes
>>
>>100125314
I just can't see any use for it.
>>
>not free as in freedom software
buy and ad.
actually? don't, just kys
>>
>>100125689
I just don't get note taking apps. If I need to record information I just record it in some kind of structured way (maybe some field/record format, maybe INI) and slowly build up automation around it. In the beginning before I'm sure of the structure I'm heavily relying on vim regex/substitution/motions etc. I feel like a note taking app would get in the way during the early stage and be inflexible in the later stage.
>>
>>100126735
>Again, I'd like to know what you're getting at here. If it's other people, then it's other people. I need to observe the wave and flow, not follow it and pretend to be it.
I thought the ultimate question was why discussions about the app are so bad and no one cares to talk about it. A large portion of the user base getting baited into using the app based on the unrealistic promises of influencers, then using it wrong and getting frustrated so they drop it again is my guess as to the why
>Interesting system. I might reformat with your design in mind; thank you.
Just check if it actually fits your needs. This way works great for me, but I can see it working badly for others.
>>100129208
There's nothing wrong with "not getting them" - maybe they just don't help with your workflow, which is entirely reasonable.
It also very much depends on the kinds of notes you take - literature notes will differ vastly from technical documentation which differs from a Zettelkasten approach.
>>
>>100129343
Aren't literature notes part of zettelkasten?
>>
>>100125689
i spent about 7 years doing it in an unstrucured sort of way, then spontaneously developed my own method in about a week with vimwiki, that matched how i like to do it...
turns out it was very similar to some method that is already out there, so maybe it isn't precisely that "everyone must build their own method".

making notes and structuring them does if you are doing it right force you to think about natural structures that may be in the topic/project that you are taking notes for.

also there is that David Allen thing where if you know everything is in a 'collection bucket' then you don't have to keep it on your mind. this is comfy.
>>
>>100125314
Shilled it 20th time this week award
>>
>>100125314
Not foss dont care.
>>
>>100125314
1. there's threads about it everyday
2. there's not much to say, it's a fancy markdown editor that justwerx
3. most of /g/ are NEET tinker trannies that don't have the discipline to study. same reason they're always working on some fizzbuzz engine in C
>>
>>100129578
Yes, but the way I use literature note and the way Zettelkasten uses literature note are slightly different. Basically my literature notes are more of a summary of the book + references/quotes, while in Zettelkasten you'd usually just have the references/quotes and the atomic ideas iirc.
>>
>>100125314
Your expectations are too high. Most of the geeks left ages ago. It's most phonies, larpers, kids in school not paying attention to their trannie teacher. Most actual grownups are at work or getting ready to go to work or got home from work and want to decompress. The geeks have PTSD from being on call and have mild panic attacks if their device makes a noise.
>>
>>100125314
org-roam is foss
>>
>>100125314
markdown files so don't care about source code in this case
you can block internet access to it if you're really paranoid
I could literally just delete Obsidian and start taking notes with vim using the same folder
>>
>>100125314
Because I already have the perfect system
>>
File: 2024-04-22_11-32.png (4 KB, 309x39)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>100125314
It's just a fancy text editor, idk why so many lunatics obsess over it. Just write your shit down and move on with your life? I don't know what else to say.

I write on my daily journal with it. Also writing a book. All my notes are on it, actually. It's nice to have everything stored locally, that's for sure. I don't like to think too much about note taking '""techniques""" or stuff related to knowledge bases in general, it just feels like a waste of time.
>>
Can someone explain what you are taking “notes” on? Especially with tech subjects? Just random trivia? I don’t take notes because I don’t know what to write. If I need to remember something I just reference the source material again.
>>
>>100130294
Depends on the subject of my notes. If I'm studying, for example, writing down an explanation in my own words helps me internalize the topic better. Tech-related in my case is mostly just fixes and tricks, basically just archiving information that I might need in the future.
>>
>>100130294
>Can someone explain what you are taking “notes” on? Especially with tech subjects? Just random trivia?
I can't speak for random anons, but for me there's two "note systems" I keep. One is a bullet journal I keep with pen and paper, think of that as a planner that also includes lists of stuff I want to remember and doubles as a sort of reflection/awareness practice.
The other is obsidian, which I started back when I had classes. Basically when there's a course/class/topic I want to learn, I summarize and digest the information into my notes. The creation process of the notes forces me to condense concepts, realize areas I might not understand yet and think of applications as well as forcing me to position this new concept in my preexisting knowledge by linking it with my database and this connecting concepts together and realizing similarities. As a bonus it's already in markdown with Latex syntax, so I can just copy paste notes into anki for recalling.
I don't take notes on technical documentation usually because that's faster to look up (that includes stuff like syntax for a new language or some shit), but concepts like specific algorithms or neat ways to do something more efficiently I might make a note out of.
I also summarize any non fiction book I read(I try to aim for about 1 page length), it's nice to be able to refresh a book within seconds.
>>
>>100125314
Was there an email sent out to youtubers en masse telling them to replace soifaces with arrows and incredibly vague statements or questions on their thumbnails? Everything is a second layer of clickbait now, where you have to open the video or article to so much as see what the topic of discussion is.
>>
>>100125689
>note taking
Are people genuinely medically retarded? You take notes all throughout school and college. What is there that any breathing human needs to "learn" about taking notes? Especially that which is so "important" it involves using specialized applications, when you're using pen and paper to note take for at least 10 years.
>>
Not FOSS, dont care
for proper notes I use xournal++ and a drawing tablet, or texstudio, or whatever meme markdown editor im using rn (i think ghostwriter)
>>
>>100130455
>Are people genuinely medically retarded?
Calm down anon, two people talking about how they do something isn't a personal attack on you.
>You take notes all throughout school and college.
Yes and everyone in school and college "learns", yet there's objectively better (as in more effective) methods of learning and worse ones, which is why "learning to learn" is a thing. Just because everyone can do something doesn't mean everyone does it well.
>What is there that any breathing human needs to "learn" about taking notes?
How to effectively make notes that help you with understanding and recall and last you a long time. The notes most people take are pretty shite, they either waste their time copying passages passively or make notes that lose their value within a month because they were never meant to last.
>Especially that which is so "important" it involves using specialized applications, when you're using pen and paper to note take for at least 10 years.
I can do almost all calculations I need by hand on paper, yet I use Excel, calculators and cad software. Technology is supposed to augment our life and make things easier or better, and if it does do that, why wouldn't I take advantage of that?

Most importantly anon, what about that post made you so mad? There's literally nothing in it that has any bearing on your life, you can just move on.
>>
>>100130764
>muh optimization
It's writing notes.
>>
File: 1700477733804.png (18 KB, 346x322)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
I just remember things, sorry.
>>
>>100130887
Yeah this is what I do.
I do keep notes for people IRL because I'll start talking to them and ask eg when they're getting married and then they'll remind me they got married two years ago and I missed the wedding.
>>
Why should I use this over Joplin
>>
>>100132015
i just dont remember (this is not good)
>>
I'm convinced Markdown is actually filtering people. For some reason.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.