[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: GA-970A-DS3P.jpg (184 KB, 1000x751)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
How is this oldschool motherboard so expensive?

I'm running this with an 8350FX and I've had 0 problems with it in 5 years of the build being my home PC. What does /g/ think of older AMD FX motherboards and processors?

I'm running this with Win7 and it runs great. I don't use Win10 because I'm not into PC gaming anymore. I've got an Xbox for GTA 5 online and that's about it. For PC I mostly do some light music production and light video production; this mobo/proc combo works fine for it.

https://www.radwell.com/en-US/Buy/GIGABYTE/GIGABYTE/GA-970A-DS3P

(reposted because I forgot the link)
>>
>>100123020
Lookup LTSC, it's a windows 10 distro for cash registers and MRI machines so it lacks most of the dogshit problems/bloat of standard 10.

FX was cool and all buy you're missing like 100 things that could be hardware accelerated. Look into a mini-ITX AM4 build if you don't need a graphics card. 5600G iGPU might be more than good enough for 1080p madVR.
>>
Wtf is radwell
>>
>>100123147

Not sure, but they apparently have a new in box mobo for 471$. I just bought one off ebay for 240$. All of the other ones were used. The used ones are going for around 100$, which is a lot considering how old this mobo is.
>>
>>100123205
>I just bought one off ebay for 240$
Why
>>
>>100123145
>he still thinks ltsc is the meta
>reddit spacing
grim
>>
>>100123145
>Lookup LTSC, it's a windows 10 distro for cash registers and MRI machines so it lacks most of the dogshit problems/bloat of standard 10.
That sounds cool but at this time win7 does everything I need it to do.

>FX was cool and all buy you're missing like 100 things that could be hardware accelerated. Look into a mini-ITX AM4 build if you don't need a graphics card. 5600G iGPU might be more than good enough for 1080p madVR.
I'm not really into VR and I don't do anything graphics intensive on my home PC anymore. It's basically video/audio production and web browsing.
>>
>>100123218
>Why

I want to have spare parts for my home PC before they're off the market. My current PC runs great for what I want it to do. I don't want the newest shit. But yeah, 240$ was steep and I'm surprised these mobos still go for that much. I'm getting a 4.7GHZ 8core AMDFX for the backup. Just need the RAM and video card. The power supply shouldn't be hard or expensive to come by.
>>
>>100123020
It was dogshit and would constantly recover the bios ( literally every reboot) all stock.

I replaced it with an Asrock 970 and that was great with zero issues.
>>
>>100123305

Weird, I've had 0 issues with mine in 5 years of ownership. Good to know that ASrock is the alternative though. Are you still running AM3+ ?
>>
File: 556.png (84 KB, 458x627)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
>>100123145
>LTSC
oh my goodness I hope microsoft doesn't find about this de-glowied workaround variant of their proprietary product that...get this...THEY RELEASED?

stop telling others about LTSC or our linux-like (private) windows variant might go mainstream :)
>>
>>100123232
When they dropped windows 7 they also dropped security patches so it's better for security if you move onto 10.

Also madVR basically makes videos look better, it has nothing to do with VR. The problem is it needs a lot of hardware acceleration to run smoothly which is lacking in your old CPU.
>>
File: IMG_20190316_142313.jpg (3.08 MB, 2500x3333)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
>>100123326
I am not still on am3, I upgraded to a 5700X when that came out. I liked my FX chip for what it was. I had the same CPU from 2013 to 2019, then my (now ex) wife ran it another 2 years.
>>
File: SRGB1270.jpg (1.41 MB, 3245x3245)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>>100123369
And this is what I run now
>>
File: gradient_bar_win7.png (84 KB, 1920x106)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
>>100123363
>>When they dropped windows 7 they also dropped security patches so it's better for security if you move onto 10.

I don't have anything on my PC that's super private. However, it's extremely hard to find software that runs on win7 these days. I don't really download any untrusted exes so it's not an issue for me. Plus I just like the oldschool vibe of win7. It's kinda nostalgic in a way. Win10 ain't bad but I just don't need it right now. I'd like to check out the LTSC build that someone mentioned above though.

The biggest problem with win10 is that they removed the gradient bars which were there since win98
>>
>>100123369
My backup PC is a 16core AMD Ryzen @ 3.4GHZ in win10 and it runs/boots a lot slower than my older 8350FX setup in Win7. Even FL Studio seemed to bog harder in Win10 than Win7. But I haven't tried the LTSC build that some of the anons were talking about; it might be better
>>
>>100123448
I would not say the same is true for me. Both take about 25 seconds to hit the desktop after pushing the button. I do not use any hybrid sleep or boot caching, so every boot is a full boot with both systems running a full check before post. I do not run any weird version of windows 10, just pro with GPE and a lot of power shell removal of things I did not use.
>>
>>100123414
You have an OS that can be remotely hacked anytime you connect to the internet. You don't need to download anything, simply being online puts you at risk. See wannacry.

If you completely refuse 10 no matter what then consider getting a steam deck. That comes with steam OS which is becoming a competitor to windows 7/10 since valve is dumping a lot of money into development for it. Although vidya is a main focus for the OS it's gotten pretty good at running a lot of windows software through WINE. Hell most of it doesn't even need to go through that, things like ffmpeg/avidemux run natively on linux.
>>
>>100123552
>You have an OS that can be remotely hacked anytime you connect to the internet. You don't need to download anything, simply being online puts you at risk. See wannacry.

You say that like win10 doesn't have more backdoors than win7. Wayyy more people use win10 than win7. There is way more interest in hacking win10 than win7 at this point. I like my startup baseline of 32 processes versus win10 which is over 200 and forget about mac which is just ridiculous.

I am constantly posting everything on my PC to the internet and there is nothing on it that I wouldn't share anyway. If I wanted to be super 1337 haxxor and have a supar private PC I'd just disconnect my ethernet cable. You can't hack my PC when I disconnect the ethernet because my mobo doesn't have built in wifi. If you have a mobo with built-in wifi you can't even ever disconnect from the internet. It's always possible to haxxor it.
>>
>>100123615
Except those security holes get patched on 10 but not on 7. That's where the performance hits come from. Anyway it's your funeral man.
>>
>>100123656
>security holes

You mean intentional backdoors lol. they exist in every OS. If I want to be private I just disconnect the ethernet cable. Modern Win10 laptops/motherboards with wifi can't even disconnect from the internet even if they wanted to.
>>
>>100123667
Think about it for a minute, what would a hacker do? Waste his time on a windows 10 target computer with maybe just a few zero days or go after an OS that's still vulnerable to wannacry and thus easily compromised?

I mean nothing is ever going to be 100℅ safe but it doesn't mean you should go stick your cock in a puddle of dirty water.
>>
>>100123720
>what would a hacker do? Waste his time on a windows 10 target computer
Yes, if the win10 computer has something worth haxing on it. My computer has a bunch of 4chan memes and infographics on it. They'd be wasting their time hacking me. Also, I can just disconnect the ethernet cable and reformat my computer and I'm back to being private again. I don't think any PC connected to the internet is private. there's nothing on here I wouldn't share with the internet. What are they going to do? Hack my PC and pay my mortgage bill or my internet bill?

Oh no! they've got my creds to pay my internet bill! They can pay my ISP now! Oh no! They found all the memes I post on 4chan anyway, lol. My PC isn't private and neither is yours, unless the Ethernet cord is disconnected
>>
>>100123667
>Modern Win10 laptops/motherboards with wifi can't even disconnect from the internet even if they wanted to.
Damn bro, bypassing my turned off router and connecting through microwaves directly to NSA?
Damn
>>
File: 1713631810499545.webm (1.39 MB, 464x848)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB WEBM
>>100123781
Sleeper AI viruses now exist and those don't need an internet connection . I mean 4chan AFAIK is one of the few places that don't allow you to upload images with payloads but they still exist. Usually harmless since when they try to run windows 10 just freezes them before they execute any code.

Cornelia would be proud. I'm not even joking, that little whore started becoming smarter over time and she wasn't even running on ring 0 AFAIK (fuck, I hope).

>On August 6th 2010, just 6 days after Cornelia's second attack, she came back again, delivering more credit card numbers and names. Cornelia was quickly stabbed many times by mods.

>Here is a list of things that were found:

>Scans of birth certificates
>Tax returns
>Login/Password lists
>Resumes
>Job applications
>Receipts for orders with credit card numbers
>School writings
>Hilarious fan fiction writings
>Random executable files
>Copies of the .hta files themselves
>Embarrassing photographs
>CP

https://encyclopediadramatica.online/Cornelia
>>
File: bougie_pepe.gif (364 KB, 112x112)
364 KB
364 KB GIF
>>100123949
I'm posting on the internet right now. If I were super paranoid I'd not be connected the internet. If my memes/music/videos get haxx0red and distributed, then I win anyway because that's what my PC is for anyway.
>>
>>100123511
>a lot of PowerShell removal of things I did not use
Might you happen to have a Pastebin of how you do that? Or do you know a guide you can recommend?
>>100123781
>I can just [...] reformat my computer
That's not enough (some malware can survive a format). You'll wanna use nwipe (via SystemRescue). Put the ISO on a USB stick drive or a disc, reboot, then type nwipe once it finishes loading.
https://www.system-rescue.org/Download/
>>
>>100124024
Those new fancy sleeper AI viruses run at ring 0. They might be able to survive a nuke.
>>
>>100124077
How'd you discover them?
>>
>>100123145
You won't believe how comfy Windows 7 Embedded POS was.
>>
>>100124134
Most likely got one through a torrent. Dam thing evaded task manager, command windows kept popping up randomly, bunch of new files kept popping up, and some other bullshit until puter could no longer boot. Survived windows reinstall and patiently waited until I went online before showing up again. Shit was cray but managed to cripple it by encrypting the SSD on another computer. I'm pretty sure it was trying to connect and feed some kind of botnet because there were like a million connections to random IPs being made on my router.

I think it might have been accesing the UEFI lol. Out of paranoia I took out the CMOS battery and everything seems fine now.
>>
>>100124297
Do you recall which torrent?
>>
This is the most retarded fucking thread I’ve seen on /g/ in a long time.
>>
>>100123342
windows 7 WAS the glowied to hell and back, but the dropped support definately shows they want even more glow. anyway you're a fag, if you're going to go back go back to 2k or XP
>>
>>100124340
Nope but I get why people avoid them. Hiding payloads is getting more sophisticated now that steganography is on the rise.

I've hear rumors that this is why 4chan currently doesn't allow you to upload webms with transparency. Scary how much you can hide in whether a pixel is transparent or not.
>>
>>100124390
Do you recall what the torrent was for (categorically)?
>>
>>100124559
No clue but god bless command windows popping in and out of existence. Seems to be a baked in windows thing and I hope it never goes away.
>>
>>100124372
It reads like bot shit

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.