[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: wwww.png (64 KB, 800x600)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
What is OpenVMS? I don't get it. Can I use it at home?
>>
Vaccine shit
>>
https://vmssoftware.com/about/v922/
>>
i used it in college
it's worse than unix
>>
Proprietary nonceware
>>
VMS was a miltiuser OS used by DEC VAX minicomputers in 80's/90's. I used it back in the day - think DOS or Unix CLI and you will get the idea. Back in that era the only other servers were Unix or proprietry stuff like Novell and IBM SP2 etc
>>
>>100119440
I personally liked Ultrix betterm, but w/e. Still sovl.
>>
VMS is where Windows NT and all versions of Windows Server got their security controls. Most of them are disabled in Windows by default. Both OpenVMS and Windows can be locked down more than Unix or Linux but nobody does that of course.

As previously mentioned it was a product of DEC. DEC let themselves be taken over by Compaq who was then ROFLSTOMPED by HP.

Many of your phone text messages went through a single machine running OpenVMS in the 90's that was sitting on my desk.
>>
>>100122681
>Many of your phone text messages went through single machine running OpenVMS in the 90's that was sitting on my desk.
care to elaborate?
>>
It might be the granddad of Windows and OS/2, and used to be a fine workstation OS, but there's no real reason to use it anymore besides legacy servers.

https://eylenburg.github.io/os_comparison.htm

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.