[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Debian-12-Bookworm.jpg (63 KB, 1200x720)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>used arch linux
>none of the games on steam worked
>none of the programs i downloaded worked
>decided to use debian 12 because of reasons
>suddenly all the games and programs started to work again

go stable or go under the table
a linux distro should only care about being usable with a set of packages and keep it as stable as possible, only giving necessary updates for security, keeping major updates to another releases. it should not even know other programs exists, let the other programs offer their own .deb packages and deb sources
>>
>>100116929
what's the difference between debian and fedora? that's what im currently trying.
>>
>>100116929
>>none of the games on steam worked
>>none of the programs i downloaded worked
not sure if skill issue or nvidia
>>
>>100116929
based. non-debian distros are for people who have way too much time
>>
>Install NVIDIA driver on Debian
>Error about DKMS, entire system stops booting
>Install NVIDIA driver on Arch
>Justwerks
>>
>>100116992
in terms of packages they use, there is not much difference at all if we compare two releases that are roughly on same level by how new the packages are, of course it wont make sense to compare 1 year old release to 5 year old or something

in terms of use philosophy the debian has huge difference compared to other linux in the way that they will refuse to include any kind of proprietary driver in the standard OS install and its up to the user to find proprietary drivers for his devices if he uses such (for example Nvidia graphics official Nvidia driver released by Nvidia, Debian wont use that normally but instead gives a freeware Nvidia driver which is inferior in terms of features but its at least stable and wont crash so thats something)

Fedore DOES NOT CARE about being proprietary or not but will include any kind of driver as long as its free and not a commercial one

I would say this makes Debian more autist if anything.

Proprietary drivers cause problem for these:
-sound card
-GPU
-wireless network
-printers
-4G/5G wireless (not a Wireless LAN)

drivers are never a problem in these:
-motherboard chipset
-storage device drivers
-CABLE network as in not a wireless
>>
>>100117578
when i installed my current distro i never did anything with drivers. everything is included with mesa, or something. are you saying if i switch to debian i will have to figure out the drivers or my stuff wont work?
>>
>>100117068
>enable the non-free and non-free-firmware
>apt install nvidia-driver firmware-misc-nonfree
>reboot
Where is the difficult part?
>>
>>100117636
im also on intel + amd. so i dont care about nvidia. although i hear they're releasing open source drivers so that might fix their issues.
>>
>>100117636
>>100117653
you have to check for drivers while using Debian IF you have a device that uses proprietary drivers

if Nvidia GPU speed aint a problem you dont have to think about that, the free drivers works wonders but aint fast, speed is dropped mayby 20%

the real problem will be WLAN drivers if you have one of those WLAN devices that need proprietary driver (WLAN device could be either PCI or USB)

or the same problem with 4G / 5G if you connect some kind of USB 5G stick into your computer for internet

I would suggest you search the info about your WLAN beforehand

But if your internet comes through cabled ethernet connectors its a non issue
>>
>>100117641
nta but when I tried debian with nvidia the driver gave me a black screen. I had to boot into the commandline and reinstall noveau.
>>
>>100117641
>Installi-ACK
>>
>>100117068
>>100118224
If you're on Nvidia, do yourself a favour and get on a distro that does non-DKMS drivers. Arch, RHEL and Ubuntu have them, while Fedora and Debian seemingly do not.
>>
use bazzite-deck:stable OCI image retard
or just use Windows because Linux is not for normies and low IQ people
>>
>>100118555
it can be installed on Debian by yourself but it aint as easy as everything else with Linux so people are no longer accustomed to tweaking a lot
>>
File: amwf.png (755 KB, 1009x559)
755 KB
755 KB PNG
why are you all so autistic about drivers? holy shit just use something that actually works
https://nobaraproject.org/
>>
>>100117641
not that anon, but debian broke their nvidia dkms thingy a few months ago in one of their kernel updates and never bothered fixing it as far as I know
>>
>>100118629
>it can be installed on Debian
how?
>>
>>100116929
Debian 12 with KDE installer and x11 session is truly a great place to be. But I still thank arch and unstable alpha testers for their service.
>>
>>100118693
>>100118629

its quite difficult, I try to write it down and post later
>>
>>100118608
bazzite feels like it's held together by duct tape. it's nice for handheld PCs though.
>>
>>100117636
I had to. My 3060ti was running at like 3 fps with the open source nvidia drivers
>>
>>100118902
You should thanks Debian testing users instead, remember who found xz vulnerability?
>>
File: andrew-tate.png (503 KB, 538x423)
503 KB
503 KB PNG
>he didn't use EndeanvourOS
>>
>>100117578
That is not true for Debian 12. It comes with non-free firmware out of the box.
>>
>>100123897
why did they change their policy?
>>
>>100123897
That's simply not true. All Debian versions give the full libre option, even when it comes to the kernel.
>>
File: 1713650474803523.jpg (394 KB, 2048x1536)
394 KB
394 KB JPG
Switched to Debian from Windows a few month ago and it's been pretty painless so far. Literally zero crashes. I'm actually a bit scared because I don't know what to do if something goes wrong, since it never has. Also set up a NAS running Debian with ZFS, smb shares, kvm/qemu etc. Took a lot of research, but it all seems solid as a rock. I'll be switching my last Windows computer to Debian soon, and I may try the testing variant on this one.

The only real issue is that the partitioner during the installer is garbage and pretty hard to use even if you understand drive partitioning. That was the biggest pain point so far for me, especially when configuring a LVM. Also, remember that Debian has no firewall by default. I chose ufw because it's easy, but I'm not sure if there are better options.
>>
>>100125139
>The only real issue is that the partitioner during the installer is garbage
are you talking about the Calamares installer manual partitionioning? I def would not recommend people who aren't tech savvy use that, it has no instructions built in and theres not much info online because that installer is fairly new to debian. I'm not even sure if it has fail safes and you could forget to add some label/tag and brick your shit.

>has no firewall by default
it does, it's called iptables and nftables it's terminal command based. If you want a GUI and more functionality install firewalld it's avaiable on most repos and comes default on a lot of distros. But ask yourself if you even need a firewall. It's not an anti-virus it doesn't monitor your system, something like that doesn't really exist on linux. The normal person will barely ever interaact with a firewall and when they do require doing some simple task iptables is more than enough. Firewalld is like getting a supercar when all you'll be doing is going to work and back home.

My advice for recent windows users is just keep a live USB installer of your distro near. It's capable of doing so much more than just re-installing. You can reset passwords, recover data, troubleshoot a problem, etc. It helped me with my anxiety of not wanting to break stuff knowing that if I did all it took to fix was popping in a usb and pressing f11 on boot.
>>
>>100117068
Have you tried installing AMD GPU?
>>
>>100125287
>are you talking about the Calamares installer manual partitionioning?
I used the normal, ugly ass Debian installer.

>it does, it's called iptables and nftables
This is true, but ufw is orders of magnitude less complicated to get up and running. Also, adding rules is orders of magnitude more complicated when using iptables/nftables, especially if you don't know what you're doing and could get things wrong. I've heard of firewalld, but I chose to stay away for now.
>But ask yourself if you even need a firewall. It's not an anti-virus it doesn't monitor your system, something like that doesn't really exist on linux.
This is true, and if you check using tools like ss to see what ports are open and listening, it's usually very few. However, why not expend a bit more effort to make sure that all ports are explicitly closed until you tell them to open? Especially on a public network, this seems like a must to me.
>>
>>100123993
Debian includes non free firmware option by default, retard-kun
>>
>>100116992
Fedora has quick releases(every 6 months) and adopts new features all the time even if they are not ready.
They are kinda dogfooding.
Debian does slow very conservative changes and releases every 2 years.
>>100117578
Anon do you have autism because this post is very wrong.
>Fedore DOES NOT CARE about being proprietary or not but will include any kind of driver as long as its free and not a commercial one
1. Unless a proprietary driver in fedora is required it's part of the default install to have a good experience(see wifi) it's part of the rpmfusion repo which is unofficial

To make it harder for you these drivers are not signed. By the distro maintainer meaning that if you use secureboot you are likely to need to use your own keys for signing.

This also includes proprietary codecs. Like for example ffmpeg. You can't install proprietary codecs on fedora base without rpm fusion. You can't even install a lot of things actually.

2. Bold of you to say that when Debian separated non free firmware in Debian 12 and enabled it by default. And the firmware is signed so you don't need to mess with secure boot.

Not that I care or mind proprietary firmware but at least be correct.
>>
>>100116929
You shouldn't use distros that require you know what you're doing, please stay on Debian and never come back
>>
>>100123929
turns out people don't like installing an OS and finding out their WiFi doesn't work
>>
File: 1681012417377308.jpg (80 KB, 605x807)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
Notice how whenever people say their apps or games don't work, they NEVER mention which ones
>>
>>100118555
>>100118629
The advantages of precompiled streams:
>Precompiled: faster boot up after driver and/or kernel updates
>Pre-tested: kernel and driver combination has been validated
>Removes gcc dependency: no compiler installation required
>Removes dkms dependency: enabling EPEL repository not required
>Removes kernel-devel and kernel-headers dependencies: no black screen if matching packages are missing
So RHEL is the only distro that gets 1st class 1st party support for precompiled kmods from Nvidia.

Arch seems to be providing their own precompiled kmods for their kernels, because they have a separate nvidia-dkms package for "all other kernels". The only weird thing about it is that the "nvidia" package seems to require the "nvidia-dkms" package, though I may be reading that wrong.

I could have sworn Canonical provides something similar from their own repos but I may have been dreaming because I can't find anything about it now.

Can anyone confirm or deny either of the above?
>>
Thanks, but I'm sticking with Arch.
>>
bump for Debian Stable
>>
>>100116929
dunno man
arch simply does the job on my machine THOUGH
>>
>>100131008
>THOUGH
what the fuck is your problem?
>>
>>100116929
Literal skill issue.
>>
Anyone with experience using Debian testing? How often does it break or mess up?
>>
>>100125139
ufw is fine. the defaults are sane and more than enough for the average desktop user. it's literally a "install and forget" program
>>
>>100116992
None. Linux is gay and bends your dick inwards turning you into a troon. Use Apple MacOS instead like a true white man.
>>
>>100131022
>implying i have a problem even DOE I don't have one DOE
>>
>>100134136
apple is literally for faggots and women.
>>
>>100134136
>rent the proprietary product goyim
apple is based for putting a 30% tax on retards who dont know how what a computer is
>>
>>100116929
Debian may be full of bullshit issues, but it has given me far fewer headaches than any other OS in practice.

The only other GNU/Linux distro that I respect is Slackware,but it's a bit too conservative even for my taste. Debian hits the sweet spot.

Updooter distributions are a waste of time if used for anything other than testing purposes. For each problem that the rolling release model solves, it creates two more.
>>
>>100126471
You're saying that Debian is so good that you don't even need to "know what you're doing" to use it? I'm sold, switching rn.
>>
>>100117026
that's definitely a skill issue lmao
I run Arch on 2 nvidia machines and everything works fine
>>
>>100134075
Is it used on servers? I was thinking of learning whatever tools are used most in the server world
>>
>>100116929
You are genuinely a retarded nigger and you should go back to Windows
>>
>>100118224
Cause no DE. It wasn't a blackscreen, it's an NVIDIA issue, not Debian. It's related to the fact that NVIDIA doesn't support a proper framebuffer device. You need a display manager.
>>100118657
It's fixed and has been fixed for a while.

>>100117578
You should stop spreading FUD retard.
>-4G/5G wireless (not a Wireless LAN)
Firmware, not drivers.
>printers
driverless nowadays
>GPU
Only NVIDIA, and nvidia-driver is included in the repos.

For retards:
Debian has always included non-free-firmware in their repos. What changed is that non-free-firmware was removed from the regular non-free section, and moved into it's own special section, that is now included on the installation media by default.

In the past, you had to navigate through some links to find the secret non-free-firmware installation media.

drivers are not firmware.
>>
File: 1708391931714034.png (54 KB, 155x185)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>100117042
this
>>
>>100118651
let me know when they can even into frames on their fucking website

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.