[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Capture.png (2 KB, 259x70)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
Thread for Questions that Don't Deserve their Own Thread.
Made this because I didn't see one in the catalog

Literal retard here. Even though I don't download anything to my C: drive, it's constantly full of shit. Any time I try to investigate by looking through the files, it's filled to the brim with empty folders and virtually nothing of actual weight. No games, no videos or programs or anything really. How do I clean this up?
>>
>>100108027
Get wiztree if you have the space, it'll show you what's taking up hard drive space
>>
Clear your %AppData%.
Or get your cleaner to do it for you.
>>
>>100108027
Bleachbit + winapp2
>>
>>100108027
use https://windirstat.net/ to figure out what files are eating your storage
>>
>>100108027
install gentoo
>>
>>100108767
windirstat is now surpassed by wiztree on all fronts. It was great when there was no alternatives but I don't want to wait 10 minutes while it indexes all files on my computer anymore, instead of just reading data off the Master File Table.
>>
>>100108835
Wow I was able to read the whole comment without a wiztree purchase popup appearing
>>
>>100108859
Skill issue. It only pops up once, and is just an unitrusive Donation banner in a corner otherwise. If you really need it you can crack the banner too.
And you already have full access to all features, it's not like it's keeping them behind a paywall.
>>
I live on the second floor of my house, can I run a like 75m long ethernet cord from my computer to the tv in my basement using some sort of box type device to play games (i read the steam box over wifi is not good enough for games, ideally something like elden ring)
>>
>>100108962
casual answer = powerline
underground 2deep4u answer = moca
depending on who sees your question, they'll refer one or the other. best bet is to try to read up on it and decide for yourself.
>>
/stg/ already exists, faggot
>>
Why does Mega load offline mode images so slowly on Android?
I click on an image and it takes 10-30 seconds to open, swiping to subsequent images is instantaneous. Using the photos app to open the image (through mega) is instantaneous.
>>
>>100108027
Your browser caches stuff, streams included. This can quickly ramp up to tens of gigs. It should clear that cache with restarts, but doesn't always. Also browser addons can interfere with caching.
>>
CCleaner kinda sucks, is there a good free FOSS alternative?
>>
I have a laptop for vidya and it's worked fine for a few years now. Lately though it's dropping frames every so often, I can be playing whatever at 100 fps and it drops to like 10 or 5 for several seconds
Probably thermal throttling, right? I already tried adding paste to the cpu and cleaning dust but it didn't seem to do much, so I start thinking about sending it over to support but not sure what they could even do about it at this point, is the cpu simply fucked up because of age? If so what are my alternatives? Changing cpu on a laptop sounds expensive

Sorry for the wall of text and thank you to any anon around
>>
>>100109807
Talking sort of out of my ass here but that sounds like a consequence of "just in time loading". Probably getting slowed down because your hard drives full, deleting files and (if you're using a HDD) should solve it
>>
i'm looking for a way to insert a randomly generated string upon a keystroke. to deal with downloading files with default names like "download.jpg". for linux. i did google it; to no avail.
>>
>>100110180
it's an SSD, and i thought about this but cleared some space and still the same shit happening. maybe it's just faulty components but damn no idea
>>
why is a game's source code being leaked bad?
>>
>>100110565
because people will be able to redistribute, run, and modify the game for free at no risk to themselves which is bad if you want to make money by selling it. now go to bed
>>
>>100110235
Wrote a quick and dirty script which does this, on pastebin as 2XSvJkkm . You can link it to /bin or use it as an alias or w/e

Requires md5sum, and assumes the file format is name.type. Just wrote it in 10 minutes
>>
What double conversion UPS should I get (in the US)? Most of the ones I find don't have a lot of reviews and overall there seems to be no consensus. Maybe it's too niche.

>>100108962
Yes you can. With CAT6 you can get 1gbps over a max distance of like 100ft or something. Putting it in the walls isn't that difficult, you can connect it to RJ45 keystone wallplates and then use short patch cables to connect devices to the wall, or you can just have one cable running from one device, through the wall, into your other device. Take a look at your building codes and home insurance policy as they may have some restrictions on what kind of cables you can run through the walls (this won't stop you, it just means you need to buy an ethernet cable with the proper rating for being fireproof or whatever).

>>100110565
A naive answer would be that cheaters can analyze the code for exploits, but remember that just because exploits are hidden or obfuscated doesn't mean they don't exist (see: "security through obscurity"). Ideally these exploits would all be found and then patched. Source code leaks aren't objectively good or bad, it's just a matter of opinion and perspective. For the devs it could be bad because they might want to leverage their existing source code from their 10 year old game to make new games, yet now anyone can build on top of their game for free. But this exact reason is a positive for users and modders.
>>
>>100110688
>But this exact reason is a positive for users
Or it can kill a halfway finished game, harming both the devs and end users who are left with a shoddy demo
>>
>>100108027
your issue is windows.
>>
>>100110752
Who the fuck needs 22 gigs of swap space
>>
>>100110604
but i can already pirate pretty much any game i want, regardless of whether or not the source code is leaked, how does that make it worse?
>>
>>100110815
if you want to run the game, and only run the game, and you don't care about what it's doing to your computer, and you can already pirate it, then the source code leak doesn't really effect you. but for people who want to modify the game, or for people who want to know what the game actually does in order to work, or for people who want to build a source port, then it makes things easier for those people
>>
>>100110773
6gb of that is zram, so it gets counted falsely; the actual swap part is 16gb
when i was setting this server up i just did 16gb on a whim and couldnt be bothered to adjust the partitions later (still cant)
usually i try to have the same amount of swap as ram
>>
If I use chrome and sign into my google account then use a vpn, and then go to look at fashion on tiktok, look up murder shows on netflix, and anime on some illegal streaming site, and then go back to not using a vpn and then just search up weightlifting stuff normally.

Will google assume that i only like weightlifting stuff?
Or does me using chrome to look up all that stuff mean that google knows that i like all that stuff?

How can I avoid being spied on?
Should I just not sign into chrome and save my bookmarks locally?
Or does that not work either?
What can I do for more anonymity?
>>
>>100111517
exactly which browser spies on the user the least is a topic that generates about 1 thread per day here worth of fighting
is it tor? or is tor a fed honeypot? is it brave, or does brave mine crypto on your pc? is it librewolf, even if librewolf seems to fail when anons post their result from that fingerprint test for the 500th time? so really, rather than being a question so simple it doesn't require a thread, that's a question that even a thread cannot resolve.
all i can tell you is to not use chrome if you don't want it calling home to track what you're doing, because it does, and don't log into your google account and then use google services if you don't want it to track what you're doing, because that also does. tiktok also tracks you, but that's CCP property and not google
>>
How do you go about learning VIM and getting good with it? I'm wondering if it's better to

1. Use it for normal programming and then look up commands as needed
2. Learn commands and just sort of practice them in random blocks of completed code
>>
>>100109048
how is moca 2deel4u my grandma has it under a verizon plan and the silly bitch cant even turn her tv on
>>
File: Unbenannt.png (7 KB, 242x292)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
why did my playlists disappear from the sidebar in Youtube? Now I have to click on playlists first and get this weird overview and it doesn't work as it used to before and it pisses me off.
I emptied the cache and set Youtube back but it didn't help. I don't find any useful information and I don't have any idea why it suddenly got changed.
>>
>>100108057
>>100108835
NTA, and Not OP, but thanks, wiztree's way better than windirstat
also fucks up with that name? "windirstat"? Always thought it should have a tree-like name. No wonder wiztree BTFO's it, not sure how im only just now hearing about it.
>>
File: 1713710909903.png (96 KB, 890x598)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>100111961
>Mein KampfTube
>>
File: YNFXd3MQqy.jpg (23 KB, 800x112)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
4chanX nags me with this since yesterday
How do I fix or perma hide this? it pops up on every page its rally grating.
I havent found anything in the settings, only you can save me from this, anon, thanks.
>>
I was looking at a powerbank that claims it has "14W output", if I connect it to my router, which is 12v and 2.5A, does that mean the power bank will last less than half an hour?
>>
Anon who got some random HD from his mum here.
I bought a case so I can connect it via USB to my desktop, but it doesn't show up on win explorer or on disk management. What do?
>>
>>100115916
>which is 12v and 2.5A
That's 30W. If your powerbank really can only output 14 then the router might not even turn on or work properly.
How much it will last depends on other factors.
>>
>>100116667
well there's a difference between output and battery capacity, I'm going to assume that it was listing the capacity, but it didn't specify any battery metrics like the usual mah and current to make sure of it
>>
>>100116850
>I'm going to assume that it was listing the capacity
14W is output, not capacity. W is a unit of power, not of charge.
>>
>>100115916
>12V
I doubt that the powerbank outputs 12V without a separate USB-PD trigger.
Also doubt that the router sucks 30W by itself, maybe if you connect a portable HDD to it, and it would still be a stretch. You have to measure its consumption in line.
>>
>>100117102
>Also doubt that the router sucks 30W by itself
admittedly, I was surprised too, I haven't bought it yet but I was going by the specs in the manual https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2226975/Dynalink-Dl-Wrx36.html?page=102#manual
>>
anyone know of a 2.5" to m.2 *nvme* converter? all i can find are 2.5 to m.2 sata adapters, nothing that will actually convert pcie to sata in a 2.5 form factor.
>>
Fast WinDirStat easily beats wiztree
>>
>>100116629
Is the USB cable known good?

Is the HD known good?

You might need to install some drivers or something but that isn't very common nowadays, most stuff just works out the box
>>
>>100119588
>Is the USB cable known good?
Yeah.
>Is the HD known good?
The whole point of getting a case was to test just that. I assume it is cause mum said she got it from the stuff that was lying around at home so it is probably from some old notebook of my brother's.
>>
How does getting into a private tracker work? Do I just rent a VPS, seed a bunch of torrents, increase my ratio to x and then...?
>>
SQT thread exist, faggots.
>>
>>100110773
I need 128 gigs.
>>
>>100108962
Can you? I don't know because I haven't seen your house. But if you can that is what you should do. Gigabit
Ethernet can go up to 100 m with standard cables no problems.

>>100109807
Are these the same games you were playing years ago? If not it may simply be increasing system requirements.
>>
>suggested to let 4 of our devices gather data and put it into the database
>group agrees and lets me be the person setting it up
>literally just said that out loud to help didn't expect me to do it

What am I gonna do? Literally a retard for suggesting something I don't know.
>>
File: from-the-90s.jpg (17 KB, 200x280)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>100111900
bitch, i'm not about get 5 more converters and coax splitters just to get that fiber connection when a fucking outdated cheap ass powerline connection works just as fine
>i don't fucking trade stocks
>i don't fucking play vidya
>i don't do any fucking internet connection that requires me to make millisecond decisions
>i don't have all the fucking money in the world to avoid a wi-fi connection
>>
If I create a new text file on my computer or laptop that is saved locally to my drive, is there any conceivable way for somebody see or access that file? My line of reasoning is that the information in the text file must be stored in some sort of coding. Is that code available to anyone, such as the creators of the computer or anyone online? Is there any way some sort of spyware or malware can access it. I am likening a local hard drive of a computer to a simple portable USB stick. Am i wrong for that? I dont know anything about computers
>>
>>100108027
Fcleaner + WinDirStat to top it off.
>>
I have a FreeDOS system in Bochs and I'm too much of a brainlet to get the networking up and running.

In Bochs I load the ne2k plug in, then in the network card section I've tried socket and vnet but cannot get a ping to work. I got a little confused and tried putting a port number in ethdev of 4000, I tried putting int 0x06 to point to the driver interrupt, I've just tried alot of different things. Most success was port number. I'm unsure if I'm supposed to put the host MAC or the guest MAC in the MAC address field.
With port 4000 in ethdev using socket I got this far:
>installed NE2k drivers
>installed mTCP
>set env variable for mTCP
>ping couldn't resolve
So I'm considered correctly enough on the guest OS I just am struggling to figure out how to properly configure the network card I'm Bochs to be able to reach out. Anyone have experience with this? Host OS is Win10.
>>
>>100123457
>is there any conceivable way for somebody see or access that file?
You should assume yes, unless your system is air gapped. If you want to store encrypted text information securely, create an air gapped system only you have physical access to and install encryption software on it plus keys.

Put stuff on flash drive, move from main computer to air gapped computer, encrypt it, remove from air gapped system back to main system for long term storage.
>>
So I've got a laptop with Win 11 pro. It runs fast and flawlessly. I have at least 5 programs installed for any usecase I might ever have. I have a 2tb laptop so I don't give a shit about storage space. I'm signed in with a microsoft account so everything syncs up and I don't have to worry about it. I have set all the privacy checkboxes correctly, but haven't gone deeper than that. Everything runs fast and flawlessly. Wtf should I care about "bloat", or signing into an account, or any of that shit?
>>
>>100111995
>NTA
not the asshole?
>>
>>100108027
delete temp
delete old windows update backups
uninstall windows
>>
What browser would you recommend using?
I normally use chrome but i worry about it spying on me.
I tried opera gx and it worked fine, but now youtube is broken and it's just slow as fuck.
>>
>>100124440
NTA curious too, read a bit about peps shitting on operagx cuz it's basically have chrome issues but shilled to Zoomer gamers.
>>
Is there an alternative to adding "reddit" at the end of my search query in a search? I would prefer not to rely on reddit for obvious reasons, but if not for it's addition all I get are retarded top 10 articles and webpages telling me to buy something
>>
File: GLMC1ITWMAALYHC.jpg (78 KB, 714x771)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
I have hundreds of gameplay videos I took with shadowplay and I want to trim/convert them to something smaller to save up space. Been using webm for retards but, as of late, that's been making the audio in videos crackle and pop.
Any recommended alternatives to webm for retards or another app/format entirely?
>>
>>100124748
>stackoverflow
>YouTube
>actual forum or website for the language, service, framework, or product in question
>>
>>100124137
>Why should I care about telemetry? I checked all the right privacy boxes at setup.
Yeah you sound like someone that loves to be on time with all updates so just know that your "privacy" settings will get reset when your "update" is complete and it will take 15 seconds or less for your os to phone home with all your private data
>>
>>100124853
handbrake, just use the available preset
>>
>>100124748
>before:2023 <jewgle search keyword>
>>
>>100125618
Neat. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>100124162
No, you filthy reddit nigger.
>>
>>100111517
>go into your google account's security and turn off tracking history
>log out of your google account when it's not needed
>you can also setup a second browser profile and then switch back and forth
>test your vpn for dns leaks at dnsleaktest.com
>if it has a leak follow the instructions on that site to fix your config file
>google doesn't go after anyone for viewing shady streaming sites btw
>>
>>100124440
>>100124551
Stick with chrome. Unless you are doing highly illegal shit that's worthy of a fed warrant google doesn't give a damn about you. Get a firewall and a good adblocker.
>>
>>100124853
>hundreds of gameplay videos
With that many videos you might want to look into automating ffmpeg from the command line. Other anons have written scripts to have it done. That way you go to bed and it just goes over every file in your folder converting them until it's done
>>
Which OS is best to use for a 16GB bootable USB stick? Preferably unix but I'm willing to try something new
>>
if my cpu usage is occasionally dropping from around 70% to 5-10% when playing helldivers is that thermal throttling?
>>
Books about why moving past books as a mistake? Already read and enjoyed The Shallows by Nicholas Carr.
>>100111846
vimtutor
>>
>>100125207
So? Who cares? My shit works, and I' haven't had my setting reset yet
>>
File: 1692220178900875.jpg (34 KB, 450x600)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>WSL
>MinGW
>Cygwin
>MSYS
What is the difference between all of these, all I want is bash and gcc on Windows.
>>
File: specco.png (30 KB, 645x432)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>100108027

I want to upgrade my CPU to a ryzen 7 7800x3d

which motherboard should I pair it with?
>>
>>100111995
>also fucks up with that name? "windirstat"?
Windows Directory Statistics, it tells you statistics about your directories in Windows.
>>
>>100132687
What it means is obvious but it's always been a terrible name. It doesn't roll off the tongue
>>
Test
>>
>>100133179

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.