[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 100k.jpg (561 KB, 1072x2320)
561 KB
561 KB JPG
I heard you can make 100k in the trades edition

>Interviewing
Tips and interview practice: https://blog.interviewing.io/

>"Looking to change careers, should I pursue a job in tech?"
>"What should I study to get a job in tech?"
>"I'm a self-taught dev/went to a bootcamp and have no degree, how do I get a tech job?"
You're fucked. You're just so fucked. Learn a real marketable skill like woodturning or plumbing.

>I'm so lonely, all I have is my job, I'm a 32 year old virgin
Why do we get 20 posts like this in every thread? Shut the fuck up and photoshop some pictures for tinder

>Salary Stuff
"What's your expected salary?": https://www.fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question/
Negotiation advice: https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
Salary data: https://levels.fyi/

Don't disclose your current salary to recruiters.

>Layoffs
https://layoffs.fyi/

>Helpful YouTube Channels
they're all grifters but here are some
https://www.youtube.com/@ContinuousDelivery
https://www.youtube.com/@tciproductions
https://www.youtube.com/@ZackFreedman
https://www.youtube.com/@BeepBeepNurseryRhymes
https://www.youtube.com/@ycombinator (if you're doing a startup)

Previous thread >>100087508
>>
File: average_g_user.jpg (140 KB, 1010x572)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>100105155
These threads are fucking useless, they're always full of students and helpdeskers
>>
I make over $200k and have never kissed a girl.
>>
>>100105212
damn that's my brother
>>
>>100105155
OP is a fucking newfag who couldn't link to this thread from the previous one.
makes me wonder if these generals are being made by actual shills...
>>
>Make supposedly godmode 100k
>Desperately unhappy
Ungratefulmaxxing
>>
>>100105212
35. not a student, college did nothing but take my money and leave me with no marketable skills and no skill in any of the courses I took because they teach you in the dumbest slowest most inneffective ways possible. Picture the most bloated shovelwear install and you have every college degree possible but it's just accepted as pre-requisite by retards like you, and it's no secret this is why roasties and jews with no technical skills end up in charge of every IT company. fagppletosh and micro jew where the last pozzed companies with actually competent tech leads and now the latter is checked out and the former died to aids. Jewgle was never competent it just benefited from the latter two dying hard and every promising tech engi fleeing there.
>>
NEET DETECTED FAGGOT
>>
>>100105155
>heard you can make 100k
I go on Hacker News and everyone there is a veteran making 420k a year living in a low COL area working from the beach and has a 3rd world bikini model GF and 3 kids (who are totally white), and they have enough hours of the day to pursue carpentry or homesteading or hiking or some other cool shit.
It's more demoralizing than coming here where everyone calls you a cunt and a useless waste of space.
>>
>>100105350
I'm tempted to pick up Solidity or whatever the flavor of the day is for crypto stuff and start scamming people out of their life savings. The honest path is taking too long to flourish.
>>
File: 1710781405574202.png (251 KB, 831x301)
251 KB
251 KB PNG
quality > quantity, she got final rounds with recruiter feedback in all her interviews applying to 2 jobs a month, why can't (You)?
>>
File: 1710816424484868.jpg (68 KB, 978x1094)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>1st day at work, new hires are being shown around the main building and onboarded
>meet some of the senior staff, we introduce ourselves and state our roles
>Indian dude starts rattling off all his previous roles and YoE like he's pitching himself to a recruiter
thought it was just a meme, these niggas are permanently linkedin-brained
>>
>>100105217
I made out with over 200k girls and have never made a dollar
>>
File: Bt8zq8QCcAAgng1.jpg (40 KB, 475x356)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>100105350
It's just like how every faggot here that claims to work in the trades just happens to be a small business owner making 200k+
>>
>>100105370
>why can't you
Employers discriminate against white males
>>
>>100105350
That's why I never go there.
>>
File: 1685313398552258.png (775 KB, 1920x1080)
775 KB
775 KB PNG
>>100105362
This. Time to Jewmaxx and Gyppomaxx and cuck the goyim!
>>
>>100105155
>fiber installer
>plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters
what did xe mean by this?
>>
>>100105155
>Helldesk $64k/yr
I wish
Most helldesk positions I've seen top out at $20/hr ($41k/yr)
Where are these numbers from?
>>
>>100105155
>pick up small part time job while doing masters degree at a tiny company (3 people)
>software I take over as solo dev goes directly to customers, but what I take over is kinda shitty
>improve it over time and turn it into a solid product that sells relatively well
>boss eventually just lets me do whatever so long as I get the things he wants into the software
>can work whenever wherever, he never checks the commits or my actual work hours
>big catch is that he only pays proportional to what my work output earns the company, which is fair considering its size
I've finished my degree a few months ago but I've stuck around hoping to get the software to the point where I can get a big paycheck. Getting to that point would require some serious expansion of its capabilities. Issue is the boss, understandably, doesn't want to take the risk on expansion, because if it fails he'd sit on a bus factor zero software with a lot of money wasted. He has offered I do it at my own risk by basically completely switching my pay directly to the revenue of the software i.e. a generous 75:25 or something split but with a written guarantee I maintain it for a set number of years. I'm not sure what to do as I do feel that I should maybe take a shot at it but at the same time I want to earn some real money. Give me some opinions.
>>
What is the ideal wageslave personality for tech jobs so i know which one to fake if given a personality test?
>>
>>100105350
Should have been a tradie and got paid to do all that shit anyway
>>100105418
Lots of tradies become small business owners and freelancers
>>
>>100105155
>plumber
>I install fiber
I thought their job was to remove fiber?
>>
>>100105560
If you think that he's going to keep his word, you are the most gullible motherfucker on the board.
Which is saying something. Promises don't put dollars in the bank
>>
>>100105560
Here's my advice, get a real software job
>>
>>100105560
>He has offered I do it at my own risk by basically completely switching my pay directly to the revenue of the software i.e. a generous 75:25 or something split but with a written guarantee I maintain it for a set number of years.
Without you having access to his books, even with a written contract, you'd never know if he was scamming you or not.
Negotiate a salary for remote work as maintainer, start an LLC or something cheap and write a contract specifying how much you're paid, and by which medium. Unless you want to deal with renewals, make sure to include yearly adjustments by CPI (ideally you'd get inflation raises but CPI is more likely to work).
Specify some goals for success and some conditions to exit the contract on both your ends.
Ask a lawyer for a boilerplate contract for software support/maintenance, it's worth it, you've got a great thing going.
>>
File: k.jpg (97 KB, 504x498)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>This concludes our demonstration of our custom tool, does anyone have questions?
The technical design makes sense to me, I'm curious what your goal is with this tool, what you intend to achieve.
>Our two floor managers want this tool to be a data lake.
Okay, what data do you intend to store? Collected data? Knowledge?
>Our two floor managers want it to store everything [across multiple departments].
It sounds like you're trying to build a competitor to the tool our executives want us to use?
>We are building a scalable tool that can be used locally, proven locally, to gain momentum. The executives' preferred tool is bad, we agree on this.
So you are trying to replace the executive-pushed tool?
>We're not trying to do anything. We are following the requirements of the two floor managers.
Don't you see a problem here?
>Yes, we're not trying to replace the executive-preferred tool. We are satisfying local requirements under the direction of our floor managers.
Are **they** aiming to replace the widespread tool?
>I think so.
Do they have the same amount of nuance that you do? Local use, built right, to "sell" as the right tool, to replace the main tool?
>I think so. Manager #1 took database courses in college, and #2 has scripted some tasks. We are just following requirements.
Understood, thanks.
>>
File: 1695885993110444.jpg (157 KB, 824x560)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>100105657
>>
>>100105265
100k is like 60k now. Barely middle class
>>
>>100105937
Even worse if you're in Canada
>$124k total comp and still can't afford a house
>>
>>100106122
Nobody cares about Canada, why do you faggots always feel the need to chime in?
>>
>>100106122
good morning saar
>>
>>100105370
>still unemployed
She got nothing
>>
File: canadians.jpg (367 KB, 2011x1751)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
>>100106122
Fuck off back to your shithole country, Canadians aren't real people
>>
>>100105155
That fourth youtube channel is the only good one
>>
>>100106122
Yeah, but that's just God's punishment for being a leaf.
>>
File: stein.jpg (25 KB, 310x398)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>100105764
>>100105560
this sounds good. if not just do your idea on the side by serving as a clean room A point to B: point developer you fund and sell the product on your own.
>>
I wanna change roles from Backend to data science/AI. What are the typical tasks a data scientist/ML engineer perform?
>t. just enrolled in a master's in AI
>>
File: 93b.png (254 KB, 900x806)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
Is it normal for literally 80% of the employees at defense contractor to be SUBcontractors? A few months ago we had layoffs but even some of the direct employees got hit and we still have just as many subs.
>>
>>100106363
Yes, government contracting is weird as fuck like that. It's because of some changes to the laws about contracting back in the 90s. A lot of contracts have a Prime contractor and many Subs for different task orders. Why is it like this? I don't know, but if you want to learn, that's what to look for.
>>
File: 1711146376583663.gif (773 KB, 480x360)
773 KB
773 KB GIF
I got rejected by a robotics company and I have been malding ever since. I don't even know why it's pissing me off so much.
>>
>>100106611
skillshare react bootcamp didn't cut it?
>>
>>100106643
Mechanical engineer with 8 years of experience with the majority of the time leading teams. I'm really close to just tossing in the towel and go back to school to leave this field.
>>
>>100106690
>going back to school
Is that viable? What are you going to do? Go back to your parents house or you have enough money to both live on and pay for schooling for 4 years?

Personally I'm so destitute that even going to school alone is not possible for me. I must work.
>>
File: concerned_JVPITER.jpg (39 KB, 680x383)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>tfw failed my RHCE.
>got 145 out of 210 (which is the minimum).
>boss wants me to re-take in less than 4 months.
I don't think I'm gonna make it bros.
>>
>>100106718
I can use my retirement account to pay for my Masters and I have enough to survive or take out more loans. The only problem I have is that I don't know what I can do but anything but fucking engineering. The whole thing is a scam.

I'm getting near my limit here with the way employers are acting. FAGMAN has been posting ghost jobs going on 4-6 months now. It's insane.
>>
>>100106839
That's understandable. If you have brains for Engineering then maybe Finance is a viable choice? You won't be building rockets but making spreadsheets with risk assessments and stuff. My GF is a physicist, and since we live in a third world country, her only job would be teaching physics - but a Finance firm took her in and now she's making OK money.

I like that you Americans can use your retirement money, I can't make withdrawals until I'm officially retired since I'm in a country with state retirement accounts. They even send me statements bimonthly telling me how much they've stolen from me during my career.
>>
>>100105155
they're called cashies you retarded fucking white collar faggot poofter nerd
it's all untaxed unreported income
>>
>>100106917
It's double edged. I'm basically shooting at my foot with my eyes closed. Either I get lucky and it pays off bigly or I blow off my foot. There's no in between with this shit.
>>
Boss announces we're hiring 2 people in India, the rest of the team and group as a whole is entirely based in US. Apparently head of group (boss's boss) has said all future hiring needs to be in India. Does this mean it's over or do I have chance to ride this out until the group's budget improves/the plans to make half the org Indians crashes and burns?
>>
how do you transition from one tech stack to another? everyone wants years of experience in a particular stack and doesnt accept experience in other stacks.
>>
>>100107042
They are cutting costs
Your american pot pie will slowly become cheap curry as the most expensive and worst performing white boys slowly get the axe and replaced
Search for a new job asap
>>
>>100106690
every field is oversaturated and competitive. there arent enough industries or jobs.
>>
>>100105831
One could always get lucky, right investments, getting in on the right start up. 10-15 years could be long enough time to experience a lucky event. I really wish I invested more money in the past desu.
>>
>>100107069
Oh and btw dont educate the new hires. Set them up for failure or they will take your job faster.
>>
>>100107042
It's over.
Even if budgets improve, there's no incentive to hire local if remotes can do the job for less money, quality be damned.
This is a test and the coming weeks will set the course of the company in stone. You can either start shooting resumes or sabotage the work of those two unlucky suckers so the big guy changes contractors, who in my experience, next up are Colombians.
This does not end.

>>100107014
When Milei said organs would be sellable I was thinking maybe I could go to Argentina and sell a Kidney to some rich old man and pay for a degree, I hear they go for 50 to 90 thousand dollars on the black market. I'd be making a good investment in myself that way. I don't drink, nor take drugs, basically drink only water, so I might not need two.
I still can't sell my organs, and still have no degree.
>>
>>100107056
lie about your experience and learn on the job
>>
>>100107042
That's a huge red flag. I wouldn't jump ship immediately, but unless you really, REALLY like it where you are, I'd start doing interview prep and collect paychecks while you look for something new.
>>
>>100107056
If I see something in the job description that looks similar to what I've used, I just add it to my resume and pretend I'm an expert in the phone screen. NEVER tell the recruiter "I haven't used X but I've used Y and it's very similar," they're tech illiterate and will think you can't figure out one specific SQL database even though you've used a million others, for example.
>>
>>100107121
>>100107069
I do you're basically correct. However two things may work in my favor: 1 regulatory reasons force the company to maintain some level of US presence. 2 the position on my team are geared towards gen AI which in my industry I think is quite a ways off from being viable. Of course this all assuming management is capable of admitting mistakes and pivoting which I frankly doubt. I'm not worried about I'm a high performer especially relative to my cost but I don't want to work directly with people 12 hours away, I'd much rather deal with Colombians.

No one's been hired yet, any directions I should try to nudge the hiring process?
>>
>>100107268
The US presence thing can be gamed, though.
Only managerial positions can be kept and all others can be let go.
The company I work for did that, all the 'Manager' titles are US-based, the rest are spread around the world.
So get that title on you ASAP or you risk being terminated.
>>
>>100107173
Nothing stops wherever I go from doing the same. Also this is nothing new, yet there are still plenty US positions so clearly it doesn't work. The question is if indicates institutional rot at specific company.

>>100107308
Disturbing. Really there can only be a political solution but I'm not aware of any mainline party supporting one.
>>
>>100107268
To me it's less about Indians and more about cost cutting. Outsourcing all future hiring to India is cost cutting to the extreme, which either means the company is in the shitter financially, or leadership only cares about profit margins. Either way, even if they don't cut you outright, you're going to get starved of raises until you quit.
>>
>>100107414
>Nothing stops wherever I go from doing the same.
The only thing that stops it is being so close to the bleeding edge of technology that no Indian could hope to do what you do, or being so specialized in your field you're basically a brand in yourself.
You don't need to be Elon but your name must carry weight if you're to avoid being replaced.
>>
>>100107069
>cheap curry
like pasta, the only expensive curry is from people charging 800% margins
>>
File: lain40.png (620 KB, 1000x1209)
620 KB
620 KB PNG
>Play Balatro
>Get bored, quit
>Refresh /g/
>Get bored
>Watch some Youtube
>Get bored
>Play Balatro
>Get bored
I have to get out of this
>>
>>100107960
same for 15 years now
>>
>have a secure position right now
>applied for another internal spot that's a 20% raise but it sounds like fake bullshit that will get its funding cut in a year
>could probably use the offer get my current position to give me that raise
stay or go?
>>
>>100106793
Honestly, what is even on those tests?
T. Literally only use Linux and I never once thought I needed to do it.
>>
>>100106793
What's up with frogs and gay photo ops? This is almost as bad as his boxing one
>>
I make about 120k a year no degree for pointing a stick and radioactive stuff and saying "yep, that's radioactive". Sometimes I even wrote down specifically how radioactive it is.
Mods can ban me if my IP doesn't suggest that's my actual job as I'm posting from work.
>>
>>100108352
yeah but you have to wear steel toes and safety goggles and probably some gay outfit and you have to drive on site every day
>>
File: kekkeke.jpg (93 KB, 385x390)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>100105296
>and now the latter is checked out and the former died to aids.
pic related

all have solid engineers still. just gotta look at the ones who came before the gold rush started in the past decade
>>
>>100105370
>2 jobs a month
how did this bitch get a single interview? I applied to 200 since sep and the most I got a was a beahivorial interview where I got rejected right after
>>
>>100108392
woman
of
color
>>
>>100105560
am curious, what does the proudct do
>>
>>100105772
>I think so. Manager #1 took database courses in college, and #2 has scripted some tasks. We are just following requirements.
kek.

what do they mean floor manager? is this a factory where u call em that?

and who is the retard talking? a dev?
>>
>>100106403
I did an internship at a recruiting company and the QA lady said subtractors are used cus the can bring people on really fast since they got a team ready. I guess its easier for the managers to hire and fire at will, no need to interview. just call up their contractors who in return will hire subcontractors.

tldr; laziness I think
>>
>>100108460
>>100106403
they get fined if a position isn't filled quickly enough. more subs = less likely to be fined
>>
>>100105265
Start gardening. I just finished repotting one of my lime trees after a day of weeding and planting tomatoes and I feel happy which is rare for me. God made us to raise and guide life, and we're built to be out in the sun under the blue sky.

Hard to find the time for it without full remote work though. I need a new job.
>>
>>100108460
>>100108482
Well, it's partly because the government doesn't want to manage a bunch of contracts... so they group a whole bunch of semi-related work into one big contract, each with a separate Task Order... then they award that to a Prime contractor who teams up with a bunch of Subs who take on different Task Orders. That way the the Prime can do the work of managing all the individual small contracts with different companies. After a few years though, as employees leave and get replaced, the different Sub and Prime employees end up getting mixed together, working on the same Task Orders. It becomes a big mess where no one has any affinity to the company they work for. At my old job, I was the only person from my company on my Task Order... the rest were employees from other Subs. Weird stuff.
>>
>>100108558
they were probably just trying to help small businesses and prevent monopolies
>>
>>100107960
>Balatro
just checked, looks shitty and braindead like most solo deckbuilders.
play something else.
>>
How do I transition from dev to manager?
>>
>>100109301
Do you even work somewhere that can happen?
>>
>>100108787
It's [spoiler]fun[/spoiler]
>>
>>100107042
>>100107098
Hi, I'm currently in a situation like this, the company itself has quite a bit of people from India, Senior and high level management positions are usually US-based.

A new manager from India took over our product about 6 months ago, this month I 'trained' 3 people from India, I feel they will fire me at some point as well once these guys succeed (if they do), so, what I did was to give the most dogshit tier training ever with a 'professional' veil, I offered some highly structured training with the most dumbed down stuff (like, explaining what Java/Linux/etc are, how long they've been around, showing how to generate an SSH key to access environments, how to setup putty, this sort of shit)

So I would suggest that you give a similar training, just don't make it too obvious and use the excuse that you want everyone to be on the same page regardless of background or knowledge level.

As of now these guys are only able to do some basic stuff and it'll take them quite a while to get good at it, because only 2 people (Me and a based pajeeta) know the whole picture, and we are coordinating to fuck them over. Even my dumb Indian manager can see a huge stark contrast in terms of skills / communication when I'm next to these guys.

Anyone got any suggestions regarding this, or does anyone see anything that could go wrong here?
>>
>>100109301
>How do I transition
lole
>>
>>100105155
>>100105212
You're right. Until last year, I used to help out anons in these threads a lot until I realized that most of them don't put in the work required. A small number of them are just plain unlucky due to reasons outside their control.

You can't control the market, but you can still keep practising for job interviews. I mean, do you have anything better to do when you don't have a job? The OP has very good resources. Follow them
>>
>>100109946
>I mean, do you have anything better to do when you don't have a job?
Investing in a side hustle with more future stability than IT will have in 5 years
>>
why is indeed's sort by date so bad? one job will be posted 1 day ago, then the next will be posted 30+ days ago, followed by another job posted 3 days ago...
>>
>>100110068
I just use the filters to remove old posts instead. It's bad because it's designed to be so
>>
How much tech innovation would you say comes out of universities vs companies?
>>
>>100110068
Probably to filter you if you cant use excel
>>
>>100110144
Depends on what you mean. A lot of big development comes from PhD holders doing private research for a company. They read and work on academic papers. So in that sense, it's both.
>>
>>100110144
0 from either
>>
>>100108787
I can't focus on anything else. I get frustrated very easily.
>>
>>100110178
Ill ask this way: do academics or workers and busines people engineer more?
>>
>>100110144
probably depends on the field
>>
>>100110321
Academics produce concepts, business people turn those concepts into products. Both are necessary
A bunch of french fruitcakes fucked around with the theory of radio for 100 years before a businessman figured out the application
>>
>>100110424
thats not true, alot of businesses come out of research labs. one company i'm eyeing is still based out of university labs.
>>
>Using my moms position at at company to get a software job there
Welp, Guess I'm going full nepotism now.
>>
>>100110644
*at a company
>>
>>100110144

well 90% of new medicines come from universities doing government grant based research
>>
>>100110644
hook me up
>>
File: 74483546856899.png (175 KB, 505x465)
175 KB
175 KB PNG
>>100105155
>>100105212
I went from helpdesk to sysadmin in just under 6 months, then to network admin (under a senior network engineer willing to mentor me tho) in another 6, the company paid for all of my certs. I'm currently chilling for a bit because the pace was uncomfortable but I'll be starting my CCNA prep this summer gunning for junior network engineer by the end of the year / early next year, then its onto devops in the medium to long term.

I got the initial helpdesk job with zero (0) previous tech experience outside of ricing linux and managing a seedbox just by acing the interview and convincing them I'm motivated and worth investing into.

TL;DR:
1. social skills ARE tech skills
2. git gud

t. CEEchad
>>
>>100110679
Hope you don't mind Boeing. lol
>>
>>100105155
I'll be honest with you anything that gives you $50k a month is fucking amazing
>>
File: 20240420-205347.gif (1.88 MB, 720x720)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB GIF
Has anyone got their toenails removed before? I hate ingrown toenails so much. My right one has been a problem since forever.
>>
>scrolling linkedin, see cisco ad
>"IT isn't just for techies anymore!"
lol
>>
Pursuing graphics in the web industry is pretty much a hopeless endeavor, right? Talking stuff like WebGPU.

Purists, please spare me your disgust.
>>
It ain't fair bros. I love my current job. The tech is amazing and the codebase is a masterclass. Only problem is, the CEO is Scrooge McDuck, so all the original authors of said codebase left a while ago. I had to pick up their scraps, and now that I've become proficient, I'm realizing I'm underpaid too.
I'll probably leave, I think I can expect a 30% raise by changing company, but goddamn the idea pains me so fucking much.
>>
>>100111584
you can always get a second job anon, especially if you're very good at your first job
>>
>>100111722
It's literally illegal in Frankistan, unfortunately.
Or more accurately, you can take 2 jobs but your weekly hours can't go over 40, lmao.
>>
>>100108705
german student loan/assistance department

>>100111738
you get the job as a business tard, not as a worker
>>
>>100111770
Oh. No, we don't outsource core development.
>>
>>100110644
Bill Gates got his piece of shit OS into every IBM machine because his mom was on the board of directors there.
He’s now one of the richest men in the world.
A little nepotism never hurt anyone.
>>
>>100105395
>Hi, Sar
>I am Sandeep, ex-Microsoft, ex-Salesforce with 10 year realtime Java experience
>>
Is it still worth it to job jop after 2 years? I work at a startup where the pay is below average but you get to try different things. I don't have a degree so finding a new job might be tough.
>>
>>100106793
>failed my RHCE
>re-take in less than 4 months
Is 4 months somehow insufficient? What's wrong with you?!
This is fucking grim.
>>
>>100105155
wouldn't wish roofing on my worst enemy
>>
>>100108275
>what is even on those tests?
Finding all sorts of uses for tools maintained by Red Hat employees.
>"How to automate something?"
Ansible!
>"How to join a domain?"
authconfig-gtk!
>"How to start a VM?"
virt-manager!
>>
How much money does /g/ make? I'm at $70k in the midwest as the typical one man IT department for about 25 people. I work about two saturdays a year and skate out of work early most fridays.
>>
>>100112363
>one man IT department for about 25 people
lucky
>>
>>100105265
>supposedly godmode 100k
i live in a coastal tech city so 100k feels like "bare minimum required to live alone" money
>>
>>100112348
>>100108275
I am really comfortable in linux and can pretty much figure anything out, but also assume there are huge gaps in my knowledge where certain things just haven't been important.
Notably highlighted when I pronounced
>fstab
as
>f stab - like with a knoife
and a coworker explained that it was actually
>fs tab
>>
thoughts on code complete?
>>
>>100112856
>f stab
At least it's not Loinuks
>>
>>100112363
>one man IT department for about 25 people.
How does it feel to be a God?
>>
Too many IT monkeys and new grads in this general.
>>
>>100114056
>retarded engineer casually suggests i pull a lot of security off of our network just to make his retarded RFID project work
>they went with the cheapest option available through a small company, where the small company doesnt have anyone capable of just giving me the addresses they want me to whitelist
i started seeing "engineer" as a bad thing for being in a job title after i started this job. so many engineers at my job are like this, and i am starting to learn that it isnt just at my job. you people only know anything about certain parts of your system, and you dont know the basics about anything else to the point that you start seriously suggesting extremely retarded things without the people above you holding you accountable for it.
"engineer" has become synonymous with "retard" in my eyes
>>
>>100114098
>people only know anything about certain parts of your system
>dont know the basics about anything else
This is a common theme, and it's not limited to IT.
CEO asked me for advice on how to improve our IT security with minimal cost, I told him to buy a big safe with two separate sections.
>looks at me like a deer in the headlights
>"I meant technology"
Yes retard, we need a safe to store the offline backups, and the password lists for all the cheapo devices you keep buying with zero though for manageability. Do something right this one time, for fuck's sake.
>>
I'm just getting into It and I'm applying for helldesk roles but I'm already planning my next move.
I basically want to have a role were I'm left mostly alone, and not to fastly paced. I'm trhinking about either a Data analyst or a network engineer.
I don't think I'm cut out for development jobs.

Data Analyst or Network Engineer?
>>
I will soon be part-time NEET in my country. What should I do with my free time?
>>
>>100112002
>ex-Microsoft, ex-Salesforce
i blame techlead for this trend
>>
>>100105350
i go on blind and everyone there is an indian manlet living in a 3 million dollar house complaining about not being able to get laid and the woke left
>>
>>100114098
Corporate security is a meme.
>>
>>100114382
edge
>>
>>100112856
I know it's filesystem table but i always said f-stab because it's shorter and cooler.
>>
>>100105560
That's a fucking terrible idea
>>
>>100106122
Go back to India
>>
>>100105155
any 10x engineer in here?
>>
Need some general advice pls
>m
>32 years
>studied UI/UX design
>work as UI/UX designer in big company
>good payment
>homeoffice
>finish work fast in few hours, leaving my some hours to learn new skills etc

At the moment it's comfy, stable and I earn quite good. Not so afraid of layoffs at the moment. But with AI coming hard in the next decade I suspect my current job to become rather redundant. The creative part especially on how a UI should look like to represent the product/corp. The scientific part regarding usability, etc. may still be relevant. However I wanna prepare as best as possible during the freetime I have. What profession should I learn to combine it with my current work?
>>
Its another 'doing 3 weeks of work in 12 hours' kind of day
>>
File: 1690699301830021.png (1.11 MB, 1280x720)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB PNG
Why is the open office pushed so hard?
>>
>>100112363
Slightly over 80k, 1st job out of college as a Software engineer (computer engineering degree). Midwest, medium-ish cost of living.
When I joined 1 year ago, the software team was exactly one guy, and he left a few months ago leaving me to take over as The Software Dude. It's been an interesting experience.
Now there are more guys in the software team, but they're dealing with systems/software requirements and they know next to nothing about actual software.

I've asked for a raise to 95k. My manager's actually agreed I should get that much so it's between upper management and HR for what happens next. They'll probably say it's not in the budget.
Even if I get it, I might not stay too long because I don't actually get to code much, upper management has made too many bad decisions, and I don't like dealing with retards (in the company and our customers).
>>
>"They don't take you seriously, do they?"
You ever wanted to choke the shit out of a co-worker so bad?
>>
>>100115005
I think it's so the managers can make sure you're not slacking off.
I blame Facebook.
>>
>>100105212
>Do everything right
>Still get fucked over because I trusted the wrong person and got tattled on
Fuck you.
>>
File: 1682852915056734.jpg (53 KB, 500x330)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>100115032
Most managers do not even sit at the same site as their subordinates these days.
If we are forced to cuck in an office bring back the cubes.
>>
100k is below poverty level in the bay area
>>
>>100115010
Electrical + Comp. Eng grad. What kind of job/industry did you get into. I've found myself being a jack of all trades master of none. Too dumb for software and hardware. I was offered a test engineering job at a defense contractor for 75k, an electrical engineering job travelling between power plants for 85k, and a full stack programming job with the state for 55k. I took the programming job because I hate travelling and test engineering is basically a QAcuck dead end job and I didn't wanna work defense. It's been around 4 months and I'm wondering if I should stick with software and job hop later or look into hardware
>>
Not sure if I hate my job or I hate my life
>>
>>100115005
Open discussion culture, exchange with coworkers, diversity, sharing and caring. Is it more efficient? I doubt. Does it lead to way more noise and stress? Hell yes. But it looks really busy and good in the boss eyes.
>>
Guy who has that co-worker who doesn't respect personal space here. I literally caught him hanging around my cubicle when I came back from my lunch break on Friday. How to a convince someone to swap desks?
>>
>building a fairly complicated backend project alongside working as a frontend dev so I can lie about being a full stack developer when I eventually job hop

Good idea or nah

I really don't want to be fiddling with CSS rules for the rest of my life lol
>>
>>100115005
Autismo repellent
>>
>>100111191
i want to infiltrate boeing and find all their secret files related to mh370
>>
>>100115016
I don't take you seriously either.
>>
>>100115005
I HATE open office so much, I can hear everyone is so loud and distracting, I literally can't concentrate. I feel like blasting people's head offs in the room. People having meetings in the oppen office, over in person and on Teams call so annoying
>>
>>100115375
Wait until you figure out that the workers who have least skills are usually the loudest. They fill their calendar with useless team calls and talk especially loud to show presence. This drives me really nuts.
>>
>>100115357
I'll kick your ass.
>>
>>100115423
You'll suck my dick and thank me for it.
>>
>>100115439
Post your address so I can kick your ass.
>>
>>100115464
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20500
Wear kneepads.
>>
>>100115477
Fuck you Biden, you can't even turn a computer on because you think the power button is Tuesday.
>>
Salesforce (the platform) is for people who want to be in tech but don’t have the iq necessary for real development so they have to slot into the most fucked up overly-frameworked job role even though it is providing nothing that can’t be done with React+C# backend
>>
Have you ever quit? What was your last day like? I'm dreading this shit having to spend all day there saying "uuhh yeah this is my last day o-oh well y-yeah i'll miss you..."
>>
>>100115592
Now listen here Jack, that's no way to talk to your President.
>>
File: cup.png (17 KB, 300x250)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>100115163
I got into automobile since that's everywhere where I'm at, you can pretty easily guess where. The job title was software engineer, I deal with embedded software and I've become quite knowledgeable on the CAN bus.

Personally I would not recommend the automobile industry, the most recent fads that OEMs are starting to really look for or require are pretty painful: ASPICE and AUTOSAR.
ASPICE is a process that should be "done" already, but when it's formalized like ASPICE requires, it's a lot of paper to push around.
AUTOSAR is literally just a racket, massive cost increases for very little practical benefit. Vector and ETAS are making bank off of this scam. And at least in my company, they don't want to spend the required money, so we don't have enough licenses and we don't have training. Upper management is just now figuring out that it's hard to hire because no one has experience and the people who do don't want to work with it.

Plus there were all the layoffs in the industry in the past 2 years due to companies transitioning to designing electric vehicles. The OEM I've been dealing with has all their processes on fire with no one knowing how to fix it. It's chaotic to say the least. Still worth working in if it pays good money, and I'm not working any overtime so it's not bad.

When I was talking with hardware companies at my college's job fair, they're looking for pure EEs for the most part. It seems like it might be hard for an ECE to break into hardware, but it can work. I think embedded software is the sweetspot for ECE, but going either way towards hardware or higher level software should be fine.
If you can get job offers for hardware and you think you'd like it, go for it.
>>
>>100115828
Bring a cake, people like that and you will be remembered as a good person.
>>
>>100115005
as is anything, the truth is somewhere in the middle

managers know that collaboration makes for better output, but you have to break the ice for some people because otherwise they will literally never talk to each other.

but forcing it is just retarded. open offices are basically human factory farming
>>
>>100108379
microsoft hasnt been profitable for ages outside of its black book
>>
The dev said my Microsoft power automate apps are fake automations and idk what to even say to him besides "ok". Like wtf does that even mean?
>>
>>100115005
it saves money because you can pack more people into the same space
>inb4 why not just not have an office at all
urban collapse
>>
>>100115862
hell no i ain't bringing shit
>>
File: fit_1713576103560098.jpg (56 KB, 466x480)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>Sunday night
I'm thinking about connecting, replying to some emails (but scheduling them so they fire first hour in the morning tomorrow), finishing a couple of tickets and then closing down my entire calendar tomorrow and take it easy. The alternative is getting anxious emails tomorrow morning from people asking why the hell haven't I solved their specific problem and stakeholders asking about updates.

1-1.5 hours spent tonight, 4-5 hours of bliss gained tomorrow. Seems like a good trade.
>>
File: vg_1712530613835169.jpg (36 KB, 454x606)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>100112363
85k, Europe. Going above that is increasingly difficult so I'm just looking for OE opportunities as a contractor.
>>
>>100116332
>not immediately asking him to elaborate
stop being a pussy
>>
>>100112363
$100k in scandiland as a react monkey
that's pretty good here
>>
>>100116676
>40k net
>>
File: fit_1713041343377199.png (2.16 MB, 946x946)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB PNG
>>100115375
I hate it as well, and it's the only experience in this field I have: open offices surrounded by colleagues and managers patrolling the aisle and checking up on everyone's screens. I would consider going back to the office if I had an entire office room for myself, but that seems like something only executives have nowadays.
>>
>>100115409
I remember a faggot who loved to talk to clients with his mobile phone while walking through the open office aisle, disturbing everybody and breaking my focus. On top of that it was during the Chinavirus season and he had his mask lowered while he did that.
>>
>>100115809
>get first job as Salesforce dev
>get certified
>mfw I only get offers for positions involving Salesforce
>mfw it's still good money
I'm not even mad.
>>
>>100116682
it's about 66k net, could be worse
but also worth mentioning that 100k does not include about 13k of employer retirement contribution (IRA/401K equivalent)
>>
>>100116676
which scandiland?
>>
>new pajeet hire stinks up the entire side of the office
>coworkers say they don't smell anything
Am I racist or are they just scared to admit it?
>>
>had a job last year and was pretty miserable
>got fired in january
>thought I would be able to chill and take a break but ended up even more stressed than when I was working and agonized over finding a new job all the time
>got hired and starting a new job in a week
>back to being miserable about having to work
What do /twg/?
>>
>>100117149
yes to both
>>
>>100117092
the icy one
>>
File: 1672071869802192.gif (764 KB, 235x277)
764 KB
764 KB GIF
I'm finally out of help desk bros!
>>
>>100105212
>These threads are fucking useless, they're always full of students and helpdeskers
The daily regulars sure.

Sr. Infrastructure engineer, promoted from Systems Engineer do some hiring shit as well. I like coming here because I can bitch and not have it find it's way back to me. I can give advice and call someone a fucking moron if they are unlike some forums that discuss IT shit.
>>
>>100117157
watch vtubers
>>
>>100117149
We had to blame it on something else to not be called racist. Some chad kept burning pop corn till they put up a sign about how smell travels and to "please be notable about eating certain kinds of strong odor food for others".

jeets immediately stopped
>>
>>100117157
what role?
>>
good afternoon I hate women
>>
>>100117371
sde
>>
>>100111191
this is gonna taint ur resume as they realize u worked for a company that PAJEET quality standards
>>
>>100117420
me too but I gotta admit, him stopping after being called out seems suspicious
>>
>>100116114
its the most valuable company rn and its making bank from its openai investment
>>
What type of questions can I expect from a phone interview?
>>
>>100117361
kek why doesnt someone just send an anonymous email
>>
>>100117561
They're literally just listening for an Indian accent. If you have one you're hired.
>>
>>100117157
make a schedule. x time block for work. y time block for life.
>>
>>100117569
u replying to wrong guy?
>>
>>100117532
>well IN its black book its profitable so THERE
okay gates calm down. good job on IBM but why do you give a shit MS was always a stepping stone to you.
>>
>>100117611
yea meant 4 guy above you
enjoy the unintentional (You)
>>
>>100112363
85K fargo ND, live like a king here
I get project completion bonuses+free work shit like laptops, tablets, and stuff. So if I were to put it all together about 105k/yr.

I digital nomad out the country half the year and then come back for 6 months. Buying a house next year then going to get a roommate or two make some passive income happen before doing the digital nomad visa in korea
>>
>>100117618
I dont admire the company or anything. if anything I dislike, they rejected me for 6 new grad roles with the same shitty rejection emails.

I'm only pointing out whats apparent. satya turned the company around
>>
>>100114789
for UI/UX you gotta talk to customers and understand their use case

AI already hit a ceiling. it only regurgitates. no original thought. if I were you I wouldn't worry. the most it can do is speed you up imo. expect AI assistants to come out, not AI designers

t. building an AI assistant for a certain job role soon
>>
>>100117805
by pointing out that everything I said is correct and they are only profitable thanks to black book AI shit yes
>>
>>100118005
wdym black book? every company's tech is black book. u want them to open source that shit?
>>
>>100118198
>being this subhuman
>>
>>100118254
>no argument
ok retard
>>
>>100117157
If you hate wagecucking but dont want to be a poor useless neet then you need to do some investing or start a business. You are already competing in markets as a wagecuck. It's really no different than running a business. Everyone wants a guaranteed paycheck so they saturate the job market which makes wagecucking horrible.
>>
>>100118287
>what is define word?
>>>/school/
>n-no arguement
(you)
>>
>>100117805
>got rejected 6 times
Maybe the problem was you?
>>
>>100118310
my dream product is too scopemaxxed to come to market to bail me out without angel investment.
>>
>have interview with recruiter in a day
>haven't even prepared my resume and cv to send them beforehand
How do I stop being so miserable when it comes to writing documents?
I'm going to bomb the interview and get blacklisted ;_;
>>
>>100117505
not really
bro was too scared to fall asleep after that
>>
>>100118406
eye contact and a firm handshake
that's literally all you need anon
>>
>>100117833
thanks anon, thats uplifting
>>
>>100118499
It's online, in a foreign country
>>
>>100112808
Sorry, six figures is low income in current year
>>
>>100118541
get your Google Play cards ready
>>
>>100117487
Nah, it's the government contract side of Boeing, which they are not allowed to outsource. You also get payed more and has a union.
>>
File: bud-spencer.jpg (142 KB, 1016x563)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>be high skilled dev
>motivated to build great things
>start in big corp
>90% subcontracting
>new project, wew cool gonna start right away
>"don't worry anon, I already send out the kickoff date for our subcontractor"
>start to understand that all my coworkers are not high skilled and somehow established this culture of only managing
>sell the subcontractor work as their own to the CEO in shady power points
>"the high expenses are because we need to contract another company to do all the high end work because it's waaaaay too much work for our small team"

Is it always like this in big companies? I mean I could lean back and just have kickoffs/feedback team calls all day.. but is this the reason I studied and practiced for years? It also feels bad because I know that I could achive better end results in 10% of the time for 10% of the costs
>>
>>100111989
Yeah I should use my family connections at Boeing to get my first real job, at the end of the day. Can't let it bother me since everyone would do the same.
>>
>>100105212
he seems like a crab in a bucket
>>
>>100105155
I'm a submarine IT vet and work at Accenture federal. ama
>>
File: GOODS-00130642_02.jpg (17 KB, 400x267)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
How hard would it be to be hirable as a Salesforce guy with a CS bachelors and mostly helpdesk experience? I'm talking in terms of training materials and the timeline of going from "complete beginner" to "actually qualified".
>>
>>100118952
i could get you a job at accenture if you don't mind doing federal work
>>
>>100118971
>>100118952
it would be easier if you had a salesforce cert
https://trailhead.salesforce.com/en/credentials/administratoroverview/
>>
>>100118717
People need to stop thinking that nepotism is a bad thing. Your parents worked hard for you, and your grandparents worked hard for them. It's a generational relay race. So why would you start from zero with the Jeet that just landed from Delhi?
>>
>>100118952
Brother, why are you working helpdesk if you have a CS degree?
>>
what cerification do I need to get out of helldesk?

I got az104 and trying to get az305 to become an "expert" but everyone on job boards just want proper experience which I don't have obviously...
>>
>>100107960
Sums up my Sunday today, except I play TIS-100; Went for a walk and came back with a puzzle solution.
>>
>>100115828
my last day was a friday that was also a pizza day, i had already done half my hours the days before so i went there, pushed my last commit, got the qa guy to confirm its all good, gave the it support guy my equipment, signed the resignation contract and ate like 3 slices of pizza before 1 pm. Then i went to the new workplace to sign the contract.
>>
>>100118971
Potentially. I have some friends that work there, but one is stuck in no project hell and the other is apparently in constant crunch.
>>100119001
Thanks! Checking that out.
>>100119031
I am retarded and focused on grades in uni rather than projects or connections. Job at the time didn't really allow much free time to do stuff on the side and current job isn't really giving much opportunity to move up despite both our network and infrastructure guys being in desperate need of someone to help out/take over once they retire.
>>
>>100117805
Maybe your resume is missing some keywords, you gotta over exaggerate qualifications without fully lying, for example, I was a member of a infamous open source software project and only did part time development for about two years, but I still remained as member for another 7 years and I only did a few minor pull requests reviews in thst span, but on my resume I have them combined in my experience, so it looks like I've been working on this piece of open source software for 9 years!
>>
>>100105212
I dunno, I’ve found them useful for advice where if you use “normal” forums (aka the American sodomite forum Reddit), you would get some gay moralfag answer that was written by some 15 year old (or likewise).

This place is the only decent area to get actual answers that help, for example I was complaining about my situation (work with women programmers, it’s as hell as you can imagine), if I said it on reddit they would white knight the shit out of the post like most women programmers aren’t cunts, this place straight up talked me through their experiences and gave me some reality to grasp.
>>
I have 40k saved up. Should I buy a car for 25k?
>>
>>100105370
>minority woman in tech
>got to last round twice
Normally the first interview is a sanity test, second is technical, and the third is a culture fit, I can only assume that shes a massive cunt, more than her worth to stick her in some adult daycare role like the TikTok thots used to do
>>
>>100119277
naw just buy some older low tech shitbox without the spyware and save the money for something else : https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/privacynotincluded/articles/its-official-cars-are-the-worst-product-category-we-have-ever-reviewed-for-privacy/. Unless you really like cars that is.
>>
>>100119277
Trade options and make even more money. 40k should be more than enough to net you 1k a month depend on which company you're trading.
>>
File: g_1713636415529660.jpg (5 KB, 224x224)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>100116595
Aaaand done. Wanted to schedule an email for tomorrow but fucking Outlook sent it anyway. I hope the workaholic stakeholder doesn't think I'm like him and start expecting updates during the weekend.
>>
>>100119336
>>100119365
that one would be a convertible and fast and i wanna drive around in the countryside and it would look respectable to a female, my current one is an absolute slow shitbox with no AC. absolute lady repellent. Surely this is a worth investment?
>implying i know how to trade options
>>
File: autism-horse.jpg (141 KB, 720x960)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
How prevalent are open offices for software eng or even electrical eng?

I'm an autismo and need quite and privacy to be productive.
>>
>>100119469
Depends on the country but in the UK, I've never even seen a developer with a private office
>>
>>100119469
Even if not an open plan, odds of getting an office all to yourself are very low. You will be sharing with one or more people which is arguably worse because it's quiet and they'll obviously clock your farts and other rectum noises.
>>
>>100115043
You played office politics.

Why the fuck are you playing office politics as a tech worker?
>>
>>100117805
>grad jobs at a large company

lol, you would have been 1 of about 1000 applicants. All specifically advertised grad jobs get a comically huge number of applicants because they're every out of work graduate/career change person's first port of call.

If you want to get on the job ladder, you find that one place that every agency in the area advertises because it's a shit place to work and they overwork developers. Stay there for as much as it takes you to get some experience and something nice to put on your CV.
>>
File: disappointed shanks.jpg (76 KB, 1087x1087)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>100119497
Only US of A. Only European countries I'd consider working in is Switzerland or Netherlands, Denmark. Maybe France.

>>100119503
>odds of getting an office all to yourself are very low.
Not even a cubicle? That sounds quite odd for engineering. Do people not work independently on a part of a product and then come together to discuss how to merged it together?

What tech profession do you work in?
>>
>>100119465
Maybe a bmw or mercedes from the last 10 years?
>>
>>100119608
>to merged
to merge *

>Switzerland or Netherlands, Denmark
* Switzerland, Netherlands, or Denmark.

Pardon the ESL. Extensive internet use has dulled my writing abilities.
>>
>>100119465
>go to your brokerage app/website/branch
>apply for trading options
>read the explanations
Really all there is to it. Maybe learn about trading the wheel if you wanna get fancy, but I'd start with something on the lower end to get a feel for it.
>>100119617
Seconding this. Get something that can at least do Android Auto/Apple CarPlay and you'll be fine. Only thing worse than having a shit car is obviously spending a ton on something fancy and STILL giving her the ick because Sheila can't put on her Cigarettes After Sex playlist while you drive her to Starbucks.
>>
>>100119608
>cubicles
>software companies
lmao this isn't 1999
maybe in the most soul devoid corporate environments you will get that for software engineering. Other fields more likely though.
>>
>>100119705
How often are you around ultra-left, trans, or Fresh-of-the-boat types, out of curiosity? Cubicle walls don't sound too bad then. Question goes for the whole thread too.
>>
Survey time

>Job title
>Race/ethnicity
>Do you work in a open office?
>Do you have good work-life balance? i.e, able to pursue hobbies and side-hustles?
>Do you make good enough money to be on your own?
>Are your co-workers trannies and/or pajeets & chinks?
>>
>>100119822
>Senior Software Engineer
>White/European
>WFH, never been to office
>Work life balance is good, rarely work late, never weekends.
>Yes make ok money
>Almost 50% of core staff are Indian women, no men
>>
>>100111301
You're an Italian nigger.
>>
>>100119822

>software engineer
>white (native if I'm applying to fagman)
>The cube walls are pretty high, but open in groups of 4
>1% work 99% hobbies
>good money, live with parents anyway
>couple sirs and asians, don't think any trans
>>
>>100105370
because iwnbaw
>>
>>100119469
>tfw a junior with my own office
I lucked out, in a lot of ways.
>>
>>100111301
Banged a toe and the nail split all the way down through the middle. The edges of the split nail kept getting caught in my socks and eventually one half, than the other got pulled off. It's super sensitive for a day but wrap a plaster around it and it's not too bad.

Have you tried using dental floss to try and seperate the bit that's dug in?

Failing that, install Ubuntu.
>>
>>100120006
>tfw had a cubicle in my old building
>company decided to move everyone into one central location
>horribly uncomfortable open office floor plan
>>
>>100119887
>Only a couple sirs & asians.
Is your company purely tech or is it something with an in-house engineering department?
>>
>>100120056
Yes. Same. Operational director said it was to cut costs. About 100k was cut... from an annual budget of 12 mil. Output is down in office and everyone avoids it now as much as possible. But hey it saves a whole 1 FTE in terms of cost! In an org with 73 FTE ffs.
>>
>be me
>fresh grad
>no portfolio
>only 2 internships
>apply to jobs with requirements I can fill
>no replies
>apply to a job with requirements beyond my skill
>get a reply
I mean, sure I can learn it if I can, but I think I'll fuck it up anyway since I really don't know the frameworks they're looking for.
>>
>>100119822
>Senior Dev
>about as white as it's possible to be without being albino
>Yes, flexitime, WFH whenever , haven't had to 'stay late to get the project over the line' in 3-4 years (before then it was fucking hell but that manager is gone now)
>technically yes but live with my dad as I can't leave him to be by himself (he's gone through a lot of shit). Massively underpaid and would only be able to live in a flat though.
>Live in the gay capital of the country, international company with workers from around the world, have experienced all extremes of Indian works (quiet hard working ones who just do the job competently, outsourced contract workers who produced the worst code I've ever seen, and ones who will bother you non-stop because he has zero trouble-shooting skills)
>>
>>100120138
>>apply to a job with requirements beyond my skill
>>get a reply
You figured out the grift my friend. Just apply anyways no matter how man YoE b.s. they want to have.
>>
File: fit_1703309918704778.jpg (44 KB, 902x894)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>get a junior position as a consultant earning minimum income
>another guy joins at the same time as me, same salary, very eager and nerdy guy although a bit yes-man
>we get on well and spend a lot of time working together and talking during coffee breaks
>1 year later I job hop for double salary
>maintain contact with him, he's keeps being friendly and interested in how I'm doing. He also tells me the latest gossips regarding my previous job, who replaced my vacant position, etc
>1 year later I job hop again, doubling my salary
>one day we meet for a coffee
>he asks me how much I'm earning and wants proof
>I show him a payslip, effectively earning x3 what he earns. He praises me and says he would love to have the balls to job hop as I do.
>I offer to help him with soft skills and interview practice, he declines but thanks me for the offer.
>Another year later I job hop again, +10% salary (although the reason is I was tired of the company due to a micromanager boss)
>New company needs references from my previous jobs.
>Ask my ex-colleague if he can provide one, he does it and forwards it to me later
>Got the job. I thank my ex-colleague and ask him if he wants to go to a fancy restaurant as a token of gratitude. I would pay, of course.
>"Oh this week I can't, I have these plans..."
>Ask him 2 weeks later
>"Oh yeah I will let you know, I need to confirm some things first hahaha"
>1 month later I remember him that I owe him a meal, and that I'm waiting
>Doesn't reply back
WTF is wrong with some people, I just wanted to be grateful for helping me get my last job and he avoided me. He actually lasted 3 years in that shitty job and recently finally job hopped, but apart from a "thank you" when I congratulated him he didn't tell me any details and neither put any effort to keep the conversation alive.
>>
>>100120138
Fake it until you make it is real. Almost no one will have the exact combination of the 15+ skills they list in job ads.

You get to learn the identify the "real" skills in the requirements pretty fast, everything else tends to be so minor you can google as needed until you get to basic competency. If you understand bootstraps/routes, containers, MVC and polymorphism, everything else is just implementation details in backend frameworks.
>>
>>100120228
Anon, he's just socially awkward, possibly inflicted with the 'tism. He stayed with the job because he didn't want change and didn't want to job hunt. He didn't want to go out for a meal because he would dread spending some time alone with a casual acquaintance. If someone is non committal in responses to going out for a meal, he's probably hoping it never happens but wants to be friendly.

Just talk to the HR and ask if they do referral bonuses, they can be pretty significant.
>>
>this role is remote but if you live within 50 miles of the office you are expected to report to the office
what's even the point
>>
>>100120477
Sounds like a dream. You want to post that job for me friendo?
>>
File: lust-reading.png (1.97 MB, 1754x1240)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB PNG
Are "Staffing & Recruiting" firms in the US a group you should absolutely avoid or is it worth taking a job from them?

I feel like I could just negotiate with their client instead.
>>
>>100118664
that is what happens when the company is full of lazy people

in this economy u gotta coast though. finding the kind of company u want is hard to get into. they are few in number because they are lean.
>>
Can I just... make up job titles on my CV?
I've been at the same company for years and I've only recently got a proper, on-paper promotion with a new title. I've got 'promotions' inbetween, taking on new responsibilities, pay rises, etc., but without the job title.
I'm updating my CV and it looks a bit weird going from an junior role 5 years ago to a senior role now, without any inbetween to show my progression.
>>
>>100112363
>Burgeristan in a Blue Faggot State
>$50k per year
>IT Field Tech chimp.

Pay is bad, work-life balance leaves much to be desired. Managers are utter shit. Best part is I work completely independently, didn't need to get vaxxed, have good benefits, and have helpful co-workers and support when needed. Still over-educated for this and would like to move into something more substantial.
>>
>>100120612
Working with them is pretty much the only way through the social logjam (jeetjam) in recruiting right now.
>>
>>100112363
72k in midwest, but covering 2 offices.
Only work Saturdays if there's something else going on there like maintenance that needs me onsite. Used to get out early, but we have a hardware refresh that's been keeping me late on Fridays for the past month.
>>
>>100120197
>>100120270
Not him, but I worked with a guy who did this to get a desktop support position. He got outted and got busted down to help desk.
>>
You guys got any good "Project Management" style apps? Maybe not really the right term but I'm trying to be more organized with my work and using onenote and just making a new page everytime I decide on something isn't really working for me. I'm looking for something that's like a calendar + todo list + notetaking that I can be like
>May 7th - May10th: Go Live Project
>Weekly 1:1 with Boss: Long Term Notes/Short Term Notes (Refreshes Weekly but I have a repository of what I wrote as reference)
>Long Term Projects
>Short Term Goals/Long Term Goals

Just something easier to me to micromanage myself and figure out how to do shit without getting overwhelmed and bouncing all over the place.
>>
>>100120940
Asuna, but it has a paywall.
>>
File: sour-and-taker-gaming.jpg (146 KB, 1092x615)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
>>100120916
>Working with them is pretty much the only way through the social logjam (jeetjam) in recruiting right now.
Doubt. Will recruits get upset if you just contact them directly? What exactly are the staffing firms doing that you can't? Bullshitting better and ensuring you have no benefits and lackluster pay?
>>
>>100120940
I wrote this really cool one that I'm actually thinking about monetizing.
http://mail.swiley.net/public/tt.c
I finished the web GUI but got hung up sandboxing it and just got a new job so the online version will probably be a while.
It works fine in git though. I want to have a burndown chart with GNU Plot at some point and maybe write some sort of interactive backlog grooming command but like I said: new job and hit a road block monetizing so it might not get updates for a while unless you send me bug reports.
>>
>>100119915
>>100106232
Jfc how did a meme describe my life so well?
[spoiler]Hitting 200k legit makes you feel like an old man[/spoiler]
>>
>>100120940
Oh for deadlines I have a seperate "appointments" program that's a moderate disaster. I've been working on VCAL support but not very hard on it obviously.
NOTE THE DAILY APPOINTMENTS APPEAR THE DAY BEFORE THEY HAPPEN I HAVE A FIX BUT HAVEN'T POSTED IT.
http://mail.swiley.net/public/showappointments.c
>>
>>100120947
I think you mean Asana but Asuna (Oninarasu) CG Set is also very cool.
>>
should I lie on my resume. I talked to someone who said they lied a bunch but can back them up? is it that bad to lie?
>>
>>100119384
isnt there an extension to unsend email within 30 secs? at least put a delay on ur emails
>>
>>100120974
>thickets
kek
>dbpath="./todo.ini";
What. The. Fuck.
>>
>>100119822
>soon to be NEET after gradding in cs
>bengali
>no
>exams are done, I try to be productive all day and am happy so yes good balance
>I live with parents so its comfy
>in my internship, most were sirs. all friendly and smart though so it was good
>>
>>100121064
>>thickets
Dammit.
Although all that text needs to be rewritten anyway. I got rid of sprints and just have scope being the three states that show up on the kanban board.
Anyway thanks for the feedback, I've pushed the fix.
>>
>>100112363
200k PNW. Programmer in big company and former FAGMAN
>>
>>100121048
>is it that bad to lie?
You don't want to get away with lying because you'll never know when you'll get found out.
>>
>>100105296
>college didn't teach me anything useful
To those who are in this thread, I want you to remember this. College doesn't teach you anything useful, and you sure as FUCK aren't there for fun. So why are you in college? To get a job.
What's the best way to get a job? Referrals. Networking. Career fairs. So get your ass out there and shake hands with as much people as you can (I'm looking at you, student fags). You're not there for the grades you're there for the reputation and certification. Don't get it twisted.
>>
>>100121303
It does drag you through a couple things you'll miss otherwise. You could have just gone through OCW and gotten that yourself though.
>>
>>100121303
>Firm handshake meme
You still have to deal with HR roasties.
>>
>>100120612
Idk why you would want to work for people expert at making you redundant and paying you as little as possible for the most amount of work.
>>
File: file.png (14 KB, 831x278)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>100121339
>implying anyone would give you time of day with this on your resume
Not only that it's irrelevant. As long as you do internships/SOMEWHAT know what you're doing, you'll be fine. Because what matters is what's on the paper, your interview skills and you're leetcode. If you're not retarded you can (for early graduates 100%, I'm speaking to students) that's all you need.
>>100121386
I'm diagnosed as autistic. One of my quirks is I do not like looking at my friend's gfs: some of them I do not know how they look like, despite us being in the same room twice.
If I can hold a conversation with roastie and you can't, you're dumber than me, a guy who has hid in trash cans before to scare people.
>>
should I do a data science masters degree? I don't want to go back to school for 4 years to do comp sci
it's probably the only tech related degree that I could apply for (might still need some comp sci prereqs)
>>
>>100121431
Not everything is about your resume. After they hire you there will be problems that you actually have to be able to solve.
I know it sounds crazy since at this point a lot of people spend nearly half their time in their 20s interviewing/job hunting rather than actually working but you do have to actually know things.
>>
>>100121303
to those in high school: do online uni. you will save so much time not having to commute like a wageslave.
>>
File: 1683769296312713.gif (929 KB, 200x133)
929 KB
929 KB GIF
>>100121461
>gimp your network
You only go there if you already have a job/offer and just need a piece of paper.
>>
>>100121303
My college taught me tons of skills I use to this day. It also gave me a network to get hired and tons of opportunity. That was going on near 10 years ago
>>
>>100121470
Take CLEP tests. You can do the retarded gened classes for like $60 a pop.
>>
Don't waste your university/school life. Make friends you damn autists. I regret not keeping my university friends.
>>
>>100121635
This is why techcels end up jerking to anime until 60 then they die of deep vein thrombosis from being obese chair sitters
>>
>>100121635
Covid happened. Ended up staying back with my parents for another 4 years. Agonizing.
>>
Every career advice, school advice, money advice, can be dumbed down to just "get better parents"
>>
>>100121728
>Ended up staying back with my parents for another 4 years.
Do not leave your parent's house until you get married. "Independance" is one of the most expensive shams.
>>
>>100121791
Fuck off. You don't know what I went through.
>>
>>100121773
>have best possible parents
>me and siblings are retarded. I'm the least retarded because my issue is I'm fat
Meanwhile my sister and brother are late on rent, with our parents. Who set the rent super low for them.
You can have great parents but still turn out to be a piece of shit/bum. The difference is that you might have a safety net.
>>100121805
What's your point? Are you saying he's wrong? Your family's abusive? Then all right move but you cannot deny that waiting till you're actually established is the best time to move out.
>>
>>100121791
>>100121816
You pay for living with your family with mental health.
Unless your family is great but that's rare. One way or another they'll drive you nuts.
>>
>>100121791
Depends where they live and what jobs are available nearby. Living on your own is important socially too.
>>
I worked at a cafe for a few hours and now my bag and everything smells like that thick coffee disgusting smell. How do I get rid of it?
>>
>>100121820
I'm not sure living alone is great for your mental health. Maybe don't be a dick to your parents.
>>100121842
This doesn't matter thanks to remote work.
>>
>>100121791
how do you find someone to marry while living with your parents?
>>
>>100121820
>You pay for living with your family with mental health.
How many of you guys grew up with shitty families? Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person who says nice things about their parents on here.
>>
>>100121865
Living alone is great. More time to think to yourself and focus. Make monthly visits too.
Living 24/7 with your parents as an adult is just one way to get a little too dependent on them.
>>100121877
I love my family but sometimes they get a bit too much. Typical asian parents. They need to manage and have every impact of your life or they will play the guilt game.
>>
>>100121866
How do you find someone to marry while living alone
>>
My parents hate me for explaining why every life choice they made was retarded
>>
>>100121900
oh you mean goading you to staying at home and play computer games all day so you don't play outside and get kidnapped was a bad idea because now you have no social skills? and also teasing you about every girl you ever liked made you insecure about your feelings? oh and then you bribed me to never go to anyone's birthday parties or any parties by buying me video games?

thanks dad and mom, i became everything you want me to be. a 23yo data scientist loser that stays at home and masturbates to anime 24/7.
>>
>>100121877
>How many of you guys grew up with shitty families?
When I turned 18 I asked my dad to teach me to drive. He told me that after 18 years he was tired of being my father and I should just go to a driving school instead. Living alone was a welcome change.
>>
>>100121950
at least you're employed
>>
File: image30.png (421 KB, 638x516)
421 KB
421 KB PNG
>>100121950
how did you post my thoughts?
>>
>>100122001
What the fuck is wrong with him? That's so fucking mean AND retarded.
>>
>>100122001
My dad taught me how to drive by yelling at me for every mistake I did. I love him but he cannot handle stress at all lmao. Tbf, I think all my driving instructors did that. I still get anxiety from driving.
>>
>>100120940
Huh, actually thinking about this now. Is this even legal to do? Documenting work stuff on an external stuff to record notes on? I can leave brief details so I can share the stuff to my boss and get more aligned with his goals but I don't want to be like posting every single company information on there and then I show my boss and he's just like "why the fuck do you have all our entire admin account on a random site"
>>
>>100121635
i ended up spending my university years at a local university, where i stayed at home while attending to save money. i think my biggest mistake with making this choice is that i didnt really meet a lot of new people. i lived in a really rural area, so it wasnt like people were going out of their way to go to my college/university. i honestly think i would have grown a lot more as a person had i decided to go to a school that was far enough away for me to live there. oh well, it is too late now. i am trying to learn how to meet people now, but i think i may have managed to let the critical years for it pass me by.
>>
>>100122117
Yeah, my last year was covid era and that really did a number on me. I'm stuttering all the time when talking to people and I have a tendency to stay quiet if I have nothing to say which makes me feel like people think I'm an asshole. But most of the time it's because work conversation are usually group conversations and I'm fucking terrible at finding the right time to speak.
>>
>>100121877
they were really until some time in college. the only thing i havent managed to do is cut off my sister yet, but that is because i dont have enough money to buy an okay house (or to make a down payment on one) with the current interest rates. i plan on cutting my sister off for the most part until my parents die. the last time i will speak to that awful excuse for a blood relative will be after we finish splitting up the inheritance.
>>
>>100122142
it is okay to not have something to add to a conversation. i recommend maybe starting out by playing a game that requires you to talk to people, like maybe arma reforger. just bullshit around with people jokingly to get you used to speaking to people. just ask what someone thinks about something that happened at work recently. im sure a coworker will like to tell you their opinion on it. it is okay to slightly reveal your power level, but just try to filter what you say when speaking to other people. when in doubt, hold information back and be vague.
>>
>>100122205
That's what I'm doing. I'm noticing I end up talking too much and that just leads to people giving me more work. I don't really like talking in online games. I already hate you guys on 4chan. Being on here really does a number on my mental health but shrug I have nobody else to talk to and COVID era has made everyone a lot more closed off. Usually I try to make small talk but I have no idea how to follow up with.
>Hope your son's feeling better"
>"Thanks anon, it was blah blah blah"
>me: "Oh...I see....glad to hear he's feeling better."
>other person: ".........."
>me: ".........."
>Me: "so anyways about topic"

it happens with literally anything, maybe it's because it's remote work but I don't want to bond with you online. I just want the meat of why you need me.
>>
File: 1683859186374750.png (296 KB, 1000x1000)
296 KB
296 KB PNG
>>100122243
>I just want the meat of why you need me.
>>
>>100122301
idk what this reaction pic is trying to represent
it's not that i don't mind talking - it's just doesn't feel like the right time.
>>
>>100122342
It sounds like the faggotist/gayist/most flaming homo thing I ever heard today
>I just want the meat
>of why you need me
>>
>>100122243
>I'm noticing I end up talking too much and that just leads to people giving me more work.
start by having conversations where you give yourself limits. a few sentences to a paragraph per response of yours. if you get near the limit, you must end your statement with the next sentence. people like to talk about themselves, so ask them open ended questions that require more than just a yes or no answer. if someone doesnt engage much, just move on. they either arent interested, or they dont want to talk. if someone starts to say things that would normally stop the conversation like "i need to go look at this," end the conversation with your next sentence. that means they are ready to go do something else, and they do not want to keep speaking to you.
>I already hate you guys on 4chan
please just keep in mind, we are about the only people we interact with who can be genuinely honest with you. it is rare to find people who will be honest with you IRL.
>Being on here really does a number on my mental health but shrug I have nobody else to talk to
that is the case for most of us here
>Hope your son's feeling better"
>"Thanks anon, it was blah blah blah"
this is an awkward conversation to tip toe through in general, so it is okay that you didnt have much to keep it going with.
>but I don't want to bond with you online. I just want the meat of why you need me.
let me be straight with you - you need to learn how to type things in a way that dont sound so autistic. if you are typing like this, im sure you say things like this in person without noticing it. this is why people dont really speak to you. most of us here just want to get to the meat of the conversation, but this is not how conversation works with most people. if you want to get good at conversation, you need to learn how to set up the paths to get to the kind of meat you want from the conversation.
i didnt know any of this, so i had to learn it all manually. i used to speak like you. change your ways
>>
>>100122368
uhh is this an american or european thing? I'm a little confused.
>>
>>100122373
Meat sounds like dick. I'm sleepy maybe I'm just being retarded.
Oh well good night, nice to know I derail a thread giving advice.
>>
>>100122372
shrug i mean I don't really care about your vacation either. too much flavor text. It's kinda like when people complain online when "this meeting could've been an email". Let's exchange pleasantries and just get to business. At least it's not like discord back in my raiding days. holy hell you'd go through a shit ton of trauma dumping when you just want to clear shit. yes yes bill your dad told you that you can't use the car, are you going to kill him like you say you were going to or not? if not - can we just fucking queue already?
>>
>>100120228
he's obviously a beta male, for better or worse
you did your best trying to help him
>>
>>100120228
tbf, he's could be jealous as fuck and seething too.
>>
>>100122397
yeah i get what you are saying, but if you really want to see actual improvement when interacting with people, you are going to need to stop openly giving people the idea that you dont care about what they are saying. i dont really give a shit about someone's vacation or sob story, but i fake some amount of interest so they can feel good talking about it. i have a really solid reputation from doing small things like that enough times at work that i have connections at work now. people eat up you faking some amount of interest in the things they do, even if you arent really actually interested.
if i were to give you a goal, it would be to learn how to fake being interested in what someone says, even if it is boring as hell. i zone out a lot of times when someone is talking to me about something i am faking interest in, and i just spit back questions to them. these questions are usually just me repeating parts of what they said back as questions to confirm the details as if the details are crazy to hear about, or to get more information about them.
just remember, most people do not have the same mindset as you or i where they want people to immediately get to the point. it is fine to be like this some of the time outside of work, but keep in mind you are getting paid to interact with these people. why not practice while working?
>>
>>100122458
fair enough. I think my main beef is that people tend to go for so long. like it's cool and all but sometimes it'll be 15-20 mins and we booked the meeting for an hour and i'm just like....bro i swear to god if you leave me hanging and don't give me enough time to go over the details i will never forgive you
>>
>>100122483
they are wasting time on the clock, which means you get to goof off longer while on the clock if they keep running their mouths while getting to say you were "working" due to being in the meeting.
let those people talk because it is time you can justify doing something else like reading a book, lifting weights, or watching a video while they just talk. sometimes i completely tune someone out when they talk for long enough, so i just answer them back with a guess for what would likely be a valid follow up question to something they said. i usually keep specifics out of my wording in the follow up question because i wasnt paying attention to the specifics of what they said. this works for me most of the time, but not all the time
>>
>>100122062
if you're recording business sensitive information, yeah, it should be offline or on a sanctioned tool
I use org-mode but does require your office allowing Emacs
>>
>>100122636
I wouldn't say the stuff I'm recording is super sensitive, it's mostly project details but I don't want to show my notes to my boss and he's just like "..uhh.....bro wtf is this????"
>>
next sprint
>>100122689
>>100122689
>>100122689
>>
File: 1676940053315064.png (2.11 MB, 1024x1002)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB PNG
>>100119822
>Sftw Engr
>White
>Permanent WFH
>Only actually work about 4-5 hrs/week between my two jobs, so yeah
>Overemployed, make about 250k before taxes
>Yeah a few of them, luckily not on my immediate team
>>
>>100122243
I've only really made small talk with other coworkers about either science fiction or open source drama. idk maybe try taht.
>>
>>100122692
More like next scrum meeting
>>
>>100119469
NOO SAVE STARLIGHT SAMA
>>
>>100119822
for a second I was sure these where interview questions. as a tranny I knew I failed the interview.
>>100121303
not spending 40k to get a job boomer

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.