[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/fit/ - Fitness

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Question on gym etiquette:

This has never happened to me in my 19 years of lifting but for some reason it’s happened to me twice in the last 2 months.

I go to the gym after work during rush hour. I’ll be doing some exercise on an adjustable bench that I don’t necessarily need but it was available at the time so I took it. I’ll be working out minding my own business and some dyel fag will get my attention in the corner of my eye. They ask me how many sets I have left and when they find out it’s more than 1 they’ll ask me if I’ll move benches to a non adjustable one.

This bothers me for 2 reasons:

1. I don’t find it to be acceptable behaviour. I wouldn’t go bother someone when they are in their zone. A new bench is freed up every couple of minutes. They can wait their turn like literally everyone else. In fact the first time it happened, I did move, and one was freed up literally as I was moving my weights to the other bench(I don’t move for anyone anymore after that).

2. It makes me feel submissive and beta infront of other gym goers.

Am I the asshole? I feel like point number 1 is the most important. It’s a public gym during rush hour. Just have an ounce of fucking patience and wait 3 minutes for a bench to be free. They’re always fuckjng dyels too. Your faggy newb routine isn’t my priority, leave me to work out in peace.

I’d like to hear what others perspectives are on this? Has it happened to you? I find it weird that it’s happened twice now.

Lust provoking image for maximum engagement.

>inb4 Reddit spacing

Sent from IPhone
>>
>>74124890
Tldr, qrd?
>>
>>74124890
>It makes me feel submissive and beta infront of other gym goers.

You are beta for making this post about it and even being concerned with dyel opinions.
>>
>>74124890
I’d tell em they can wait until I’m done or ask someone else, headphone back in. Grow a pair.
>>
>>74124890
*Meant to say 10 years of lifting not 19
>>
File: french reading girl.jpg (411 KB, 1079x1193)
411 KB
411 KB JPG
The French have the greatest Everything in the world.
>beautiful language that can rouse men's spirits and make women weep
>an ancient history that defined a millennia of western civilization
>simply the best food in the world
>the most beautiful women
>a 35 hour work week combined with a substantial government support system for those who need help
>Europe's most powerful land army and a history of martial success
>the language of the UN
>leaders of the Eurozone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMg3AZBDP4I&ab_channel=Zacharie
>>
in other words your ego was hurt. no one cares.
>>
all the benches at my current gym are adjustable, but at my old gym about 2 weren't. I was on an adjustable one, doing DB presses. Big dude next to me goes
>hey brother, this one is more stable, better for ya. Switch?
and was like alright sure whatever, and didn't realize until the next set that he just wanted the adjustable bench to do incline presses. Thought it was kinda funny at the time. he wasn't a dick about it so I didn't care.
anyway OP just mutter something incomprehensible and continue lifting, or indicate you can't hear them because of earphones. If they're DYEL zoomers and you're bigger, the uncertainty alone should diffuse the situation. Or just say no and ignore them after
>>
>>74124907
god french women look like that?
>>
>>74124890
i don’t think it’s on you to use the equipment 100% optimally. maybe that was the only available bench when you pulled up. i personally have no problem modifying my exercises to what’s available or coming back later if someone else is using the equipment i want. i’d just, as politely as is tolerable for you, tell them they can use it next
>>
Good on you for reflecting and having some self awareness.

It does seem like you're a little overly concerned with your appearance. What you should do is first and foremost what you think is ethical and good for your community. Secondary concerns like appearance and identity matter much less

That said, I have and will generally consider people who are childishly selfish to be 'beta'. The jacked dudes and respectable put together men at my gym are generally all extremely nice and behave in pro-social ways.

Your ability to question your behavior and seek external perspective speaks volumes about you anon and I think you're an alright guy for it
>>
>>74124890
You are dyel, simple as. When you are the main character of the gym, people dont do this. I have been lifting for 12 years and I do this to others. If you are smaller, weaker, fatter, less muscular, just in any way inferior to me, I get to dominate. Im the boss of the gym. Whenever Im there, the gym is my oyster.

This is very similar to whether people move from your path when you are walking on the sidewalk. If you have to be the one to move, you are just not that guy. Trust me. Im telling you, when you bench 4pl8's, NOBODY will ask how many sets you have left or interrupt you. NOBODY. I do 11 sets of bench press on wednesdays and everybody knows that. When Im there, Im there. Simple as.
>>
Nah, you are the asshole. For the exact fucking reason of it being the rush hour, give the fucking equipment to someone that actually needs it.
>>
>>74124933
>When Im there, Im there
whoa this is deep
>>
>>74124907
are the french nice to americans?
>>
>>74124933
Your premise falls apart because I am bigger than the guys that asked me. I literally said they are dyels. Please read the full post before responding next time.

>>74124938
>give the fucking equipment to someone that actually needs it.
but this is why im so miffed... the first time it happened, I actually did move because it seemed like the reasonable nice thing to do. Then the skinny dyel proceeded to do seated dumbbell curls with 25s... he needed it less than i did. Thats when I vowed to never move for anyone again cause it pissed me off so much

>>74124924
>Your ability to question your behavior and seek external perspective speaks volumes about you anon and I think you're an alright guy for it
Thanks anon. I try to always challenge my thoughts and worldview.
>It does seem like you're a little overly concerned with your appearance. What you should do is first and foremost what you think is ethical and good for your community. Secondary concerns like appearance and identity matter much less
Read my response above. I did try to do the right thing the first time and I got burned so thats why im developing a more selfish attitude.
>>
>>74124890
First and foremost, never rerack your pl8s. Second, never wipe down.
>>
So is the Mew to Mewtwo women their aborted babies?
>>
>>74125056
>never wipe down
You might have a point with this one. Im probably one of a handful of guys that regularly does wipe down my bench cause im not fucking disgusting. Maybe this was taken as a sign of weakness thus why they think im a guy who will move benches.
>>
1 who is that
2 mucho texto
>>
>>74124911
Usually more feminine than her
>>
>>74124890
How old is she
>>
>>74124933
kek nice delusional LARP I will ask for what's optimal to for everyone to anyone, even the biggest dude. How do I know it's a LARP? Because they are the friendliest.
>hurr durr I am bigger and stronger than you
yep, your skull will also crack open in the exact same manner as the smallest dyel imaginable from a 5lb plate or DB

getting into hostile interactions in a gym while you are lifting and thus very vulnerable is extremely stupid, have you ever thought this through?
>>
>>74125081
1. A whore
2. You're dumb.
>>
>>74124890
Just say no.
>>
>>74124890
I mean do what you want, as long as you're not hogging the only adjustable bench in the entire gym them you're not really an asshole. It would be nice and considerate of you to move to a non-adjustable one if you don't need the adjustable bench, but you're well within your rights to say "sorry but I'm using this one right now, I'm sure another one will free up soon"
This kind of situation is why I prefer to workout in the early morning or late evening when the gym is less crowded
>it makes me feel submissive and beta
get the fuck over it lol
captcha W0MP
>>
>>74124957
They’re actually the worst to Americans, other than Normandy
>>
File: 1712947983711095.png (145 KB, 410x407)
145 KB
145 KB PNG
>>74124907
>the best food in the world
>>
>>74125483
>It would be nice and considerate of you to move to a non-adjustable one if you don't need the adjustable bench,
It drives me nuts cause ive been to gyms like that and its an actual problem, but this gym has like at least 6 adjustable benches, 2 fixed upright, and 2 fixed flat. Even during rush hour if I see all the adjustable ones are taken up, I can literally go do anything else and within a minute one is free. Sometimes theyre all empty, sometimes theyre all taken up but you never have to wait long. It just makes me feel like these guys are really far up their own asses that theyd rather ask someone to move for them then go take a piss or do another exercise and then come back to a free bench

>>74125403
Thats what I did today. im just trying to see what other people think
>>
>>74125600
If you need a flat bench don’t take the adjustable, they’re only going to be used for a few minutes why don’t you go take a piss or do another exercise instead of taking equipment you don’t need
>>
>>74125634
Because I pay for a public gym membership and im allowed to use equipment if its not currently in use? Im not gonna inconvenience myself by waiting for the optimal piece of equipment if theres one that I can use.
>>
>>74125654
Was there a non adjustable one available when he asked? I have no problem with you hopping on an adjustable bench for flat exercises, but if one becomes available and he asks you to swap then be a bro and swap so he doesn't have to wait if you won't be waiting either. If one's not available then no I'm not hopping off just to wait.
>>
>>74125597
american cuisine is frenchified to shit. same with the rest of european food and the chinkslop sold in the west. wake up call, faggot
>>
>>74124890
literal reddit post kys faggot
>>
Tell them no but say they can work in. I always ask if I can work in if it's busy. I'd never ask if someone would move that justifies telling them to fuck off.
>>
>>74125654
but it’s just one minute, why do you think he can wait for one to open up but you can’t? It couldn’t be autism could it?
>>
>>74125807
cause i was already there? Im supposed to wait and leave benches open for hypothetical people that arent even there yet?
>>74125693
ive explained further up in the thread why I dont like doing that anymore
>>
>>74124957
>Be Mexican American
>In Taiwan dancing in some nightclub over a decade ago
>When I'm drunk I tend to speak Spanish
>See a group of other foreigners
>¿Hola, como estan?
>French girl smiles and we start chit chatting
>Asks where I'm from
>Respond in English: United States
>The look in her eyes squint in a look of disgust while she waves her hand like "ewww no" and walks away

Still find it hilarious to this day.
Anyways, yeah, the French hate Americans...but are super chill with Mexicans like fr fr
>>
>>74124890
bro if youre doing flat bench stuff on the adjustable and i wanna do incline im gonna ask you to swap
you dont have to, but im gonna think youre a big gay fay if you dont
fuck off
>>
>>74125925
I couldn’t fathom disturbing someone during their workout and literally making them pick up their shit and move. The more I think about it, the more I’m going to take pleasure in turning down egotistical faggots like you.
>>
Gonna give away one of my most based secrets to you guys.
Whenever you're in a situation where someone "politely" asks you to do something you don't want to do, just politely respond "no, thanks" even if thanking them makes no sense. In fact the confusion makes it better. Do it in a polite tone of voice too if you want.
For example:
Roastie waitress: "Would you like to leave a 15 or 20% tip?"
Me: "No, thanks"
Homeless man: Do you have any spare change?
Me: No, thanks
Gym fag: hey bro do you mind moving....
Me: No, thanks.
>>
>>74124910
If you don’t even notice how shit adjustables are for flat bench you must be a dyel.
>>
>>74126860
It's literally the opposite you victim weight retard. if you have a modicum of core strength and developed stabilizer muscles you do not notice. I will shoot you in the head
>>
>>74125925
>Hey bro just break your concentration and cut your set short and grab all your stuff real quick and don't forget to wipe everything down and kindly fuck off over there to that other bench (better be quick bro, a group of zoomers are eyeing it), the reason you should do all this is because it benefits MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>74126455
Do I want to read this post? No thanks.
>>
>>74124907
And they are also supremely delusionally chauvinistic when it comes to their role in the world

France is a shithole. Always was. Glad it doesn't exist anymore except as a province of Algeria.
>>
>>74124907
Thanks for causing the bombing of Libya and the ensuing mass immigration crisis afterwards, France.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.