[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20240113_122745979.jpg (2.57 MB, 4160x3120)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
Self sufficient/
prepper/
homesteading
And cheap bastard thread

How's your garden going?
What's good in bulk now?
Cheap bastard hints?
Preservation tips?
Planting native food plants in your local park for hard times?
General discussion too.
>>
File: IMG_20240417_093413618.jpg (1.15 MB, 4160x3120)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
This time of year is great for making white clover,redbud,and dandylion simple syrup. Just cram a bunch of flowers in a old kombucha bottle ( in case it starts to ferment) fill the empty space with sugar and let the mosture get sucked out after a thorough shake. If it ferment use it in sparkling water, but usually the heavy sugar ratio keeps it from doing so. I put a bit of the sugar and flower in a metal tea diffuser and a bit of lemon. Delightful.
And very cheap.This year I'm trying to cure some young pine pollen sacks in honey for the supposed allergy relief and citrus flavor. The white bottle here is clover buds sitting in sugar after 9 hours. I'll add more today and the mosture will be sucked out to eventually make a syrup.for some reason this way tastes better than making the sugar syrup ahead then adding it to the flowers.
>>
>>2788071
moisture you fucking dirty hippy
>>
>>2788086
My feeeelings bro. Why you gotta harsh the mellow? I'm out here connecting with nature and sidestepping the economic suck. Trying to prepare for when things get all pear shaped bro.
>>
>>2788067
This year I'm planting american chestnut and prairie turnip in wild places and my local park. The jerusalem artichoke are thriving that I planted two years ago.
>>
>>2788139
You can grow more than you can eat, I plant native plants to increase the wildlife for meat in a economic downturn. Also people are generally kinda idiots, and could walk through a forrest of food and would not see it. I planted yellow tomatoes in the community garden: one man asked how long till they were ripe. He was waiting for them to turn red. Beets rotted in the ground because people did not know what they were. American ignorance of even common foods as they grow in the ground is sad. I labeled everything this year.
>>
>>2788067
Chickens are doing great. It's annoying that theyre very trendy right now.

Garden is sucking ass. I cut corners trying to restore my soil. Gonna be a few more years. OH WELL. I might the grocery store bean trick for a cover crop and soil ammendment, or grow buckwheat.
>>
File: FuvE047XoAoMac0.jpg (149 KB, 600x845)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>2788067
Started on some sub-irigated raised beds. At some point I've gotta figure out how to drain the water out of the back yard. There's a stream that runs across but it more or less turns to swamp this time of year.

What's the move there? Rent an excavator and give the stream a more defined path?
>>
>>2788561
Plants some trees or bushes that don't mind a little wet. Maybe peach?
>>
>>2788562
It's a lot wet and already has trees. Basically this stream bisects the front acre from the back four. I want to be able to use the land back there but when the snow melts it goes from crossing ~20ft of soft mud to ~100ft.

My thought was to carve out a path for the water to follow and then build a footbridge over it to the higher ground behind it. What alternatives should I consider?
>>
>>2788558
The most fascinating thing I ever learned was that a chicken can lay an egg almost every single fucking day! I think the average was just over 300/year.
>>
File: IMG_20240418_223937.jpg (669 KB, 1200x1600)
669 KB
669 KB JPG
Little sprouts everywhere makes me happy like a kid seeing the sunflower grow so fast every day. I'm going to try to grill immature seed heads this year and cook the very young as a artichoke substitute to see if there good that way. Save the seeds from mature flowers. New stuff for me.
>>
Learned how to make my own mozerella and greek yogurt. Much cheaper than the store. Homemade mozerella and garden grown tomatoes with garden basil *chefs kiss*
>>
Man. I fucking hate rabbits. I need to figure something out. Fuck these guys.
>>
>>2789801
Quail?
>>
>>2788737
Have you ever tried pressing sunflowers? I want to plant some but don’t like the seeds so I was thinking to make my own sunflower oil
>>
>>2789840
How does one do this at the home?
>>
Cooked a meatloaf on the grill ( briquettes not gas )
Once tried you will never use the oven again
>>
>>2789801
fine mesh fencing that has been dug in a foot or two.
>>
>>2789801
Shoot/trap 'm and cook 'm up with some red wine it's delicious
>>
>>2790462
briquettes don't get nearly hot enough for most cooks unless you're a NEET and have all day and night to hang around.
>>
My parents pulled out an old tree in the back corner of our backyard, and got someone to build a (shittly constructed) shed on a cement pad. The back of our yard was always low and usually had a little water after a heavy rain, but now the puddles have grown, and they stay for a few days afterwards.

Would this be a good place to build a garden, or would too much water kill the plants? Would a raised garden bed help keep the plants healthy, and how high would I need to raise it? Or what crops could I plant which can thrive in wet soil? Im in an area with very good soil, with little clay, but im in the northeast, so winters are cold. I have a small garden, but im kinda clueless as to what crops grow best in wet soil.
>>
>>2791416
Rubarb loves damp
Dig a furrow and fill with rocks to distribute water to a wider area and plant normal plants.
Or dig a I ground water feature and plant
Native edibles like:
Arrowroot
Duck potatoes
Catails
Then the frogs and toads can patrol for your regular garden nearby.
>>
Just transplanted some tomatoes to the tunnel, still waiting for the cucumbers to grow a bit more before I move them. All my peppers just aren't sprouting for me, difference varieties from different seed packets and nothing. Hopefully I get something out of the. Onions are going gangbusters through

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.