[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_6950.jpg (231 KB, 768x757)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
Hi, I have a large fish tank and I’ve been considering adding some kind of real animal bone or skeletal system inside. Something for things to grow off and hide under that’s natural

Just wondering

A) if the bone is boiled beforehand, is this enough to ensure it won’t bring anything to hurt the fish?

B) it sounds like a common side effect of using real bone is it affects the PH level? Any advice on this, what it does, how to counteract?

C) other main issue I’ve heard is that bone over time or rather quickly can dissolve in water enough to start leaking calcium. Making the water hard and unhealthy for fish. Is cracking the bones to cleanse the marrow enough to fix this? Or letting it leak out in a separate water area first then adding it to the tank?

Or is coating it in resin literally the only safe way? Ideally this would gradually dissolve over time. Have flora and fauna grow on it. Become a living part of the tank until it’s impossible to even tell it was bone at one point. An artificial skull or whatever from a common store isn’t what I’m looking for
>>
Bump
>>
>>2785571
>Ideally this would gradually dissolve over time. Have flora and fauna grow on it. Become a living part of the tank until it’s impossible to even tell it was bone at one point.

I don't think aquariums work like that.
>>
just get a replica skull made with good plastic from a really accurate casting of a real skull. the kind they use for university students.

of course first you need to get it out of your head that you need a real skull for some reason
>>
>>2786022
No I want real bones. I have some animals I’ve seen around the land that would look good in it
>>
>>2785571
Nature reclaims.
Yes you can literally just shove a skull in there and deal with water quality issues as they appear.

The point of resin is to avoid the bones breaking down.
>>
>>2786115
Well then do it since it's so intensely compelling. If the fish croak get hardier ones.
>>
>>2785571
Just use a taxidermy supply skull dude. Maybe add a water resistant coating
>>
>>2786125
Yes, yes
>>
Bleach the skull. Make sure the insides are scorched clean
>>
>>2785571
Is this a walstad/plant filtered tank or is it your generic filter, pebbles, and water correction chemicals tank? If it's a walstad and your fish aren't too sensitive of a species, I wouldn't worry about the calcium as long as you do a 20%water change once a week or 50%every two weeks. Plants would absorb a lot of the calcium and water changes would reduce free floating ppm of calcium. I believe calcium makes the water more basic, so if your fish don't require water on the low end of the spectrum I would say it's a-ok.

The biggest concern would be marrow in the bone containing parasites that don't boil out/die and the decomposition of marrow. Perhaps another anon has a solution to that.

I don't know much about filtered tanks to say anything on it
>>
>>2786552
I forgot to add that the size of everything plays a big factor as well. Shoving a fox skull in a ten gallon tank is different than a cat skull in a 75 gallon tank. So just keep in mind you may not want whatever you put into the tank to dominate tank space as it will have that much more of a dramatic effect on changes in water quality.

One more consideration is that if you aren't able to remove marrow, the bones will produce a lot of oil that leaks into the water. This might be mitigated by water changes, but it's definitely something to think about. You can degrease the bones, but that oil will comeback eventually, faster in the water I'd imagine.

If you want advice on how to whiten bones just lmk
>>
>>2786115
you and this thread are retarded to the point where I actually doubt you have a fish tank at all
>>
>>2785571
A:
Should be good if you boil it
I'd also be careful about knocking down sharp edges and places where your fish could get hurt.

B:
Yea I imagine it would change the pH over time. Likely as a result of decomp lowering the pH.
Get an aquarium substrate with ill pH buffer.

C:
Yea it will increase the water hardness over time.
Probabl6ly good to get a water hardness testing kit and some ion exchange resin beads for your filter if the hardness becomes a problem.

Btw Op what fish do you have? And how is your aquarium planted?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.