[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Untitled.png (1.22 MB, 1134x531)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB PNG
On a scale of 1 - 10. How difficult would it be for someone to build this structure on their own? No plumbing and I would hire a contractor for the concrete slab and an electricity.
>>
>>2777250
>>
>>2777258
Agreed. It would be multiple weekends
>>
>>2777250
Roof would be the biggest challenge here
>>
>>2777280
would also definitely sub out the glass work
>>
>>2777250
not happening, hombre.
it's a lot easier to make a couple friends to help you hoist shit than it is to build a house by yourself. unless you're a fucking crane operator you're not going to be able to put any of the structural beams in place by yourself. you really don't know what you're doing here.
>>
>>2777588
Not OP but you could just use a small excavator to lift steel beams and weld up a steel structure, then build the rest of the shit around that.
>>
>>2777250
>hire a contractor
>electricity
What, why? That's fucking stupid. Electrical shit is easy.
>>
>>2777250
Need a clearer definition of 'on their own'. If you mean straight solo with no other assistance, it would be a real bitch 8+, and will require renting heavy equipment. If you have male friends or family available to assist at least a few days, not too bad at all though would need a good understanding of the ceiling/roof construction of the covered patio portion. It looks like the slats lay directly on the support beams, which could be a real bastard to do (think order of operations and how to finish them).

Also:
>no plumbing
Big mistake. You're going to want a sink and water for drinks available out there.
>contracting out the electrical
Electrical and plumbing are some of the easiest work in most projects unless you're doing something very odd.
>>
>>2777280
I would say the pool
>>
>>2777280
what? flat roof is just tar, you don't even need use shingles you just pour hot tar until it's to the edges.
>>
>>2777831
this. mamaw can heat the tar in a kettle over a fire and let brobro climb it up the ladder so papaw can pour it. that's how we done in back in butcher holler.
>>
>>2777250
CMU walls. 2x12 Roof support system. Hardie board exterior. Vinyl ceiling. This looks extremely easy and definitely DIY. Don't listen to these overweight chuds
>>
>>2777250
If you have to ask its a 10.
>>
What’s the price difference between DIY and just hiring a contractor to do the whole thing? Is it really worth the headache
>>
Very difficult.
Cheap building materials are notoriously unsympathetic, pine boards split, thin flashing warps, you'd need trades to install the utilities, the cement footing could kill the whole project if you fuck it up.
>>
>>2777250
>This looks extremely easy and definitely DIY.
Yeah, it's not anymore work than swapping a water heater or mounting a tv, right?
>>
Big canopy and flat roof? Gonna need some steel unfortunately

If you ditched the canopy and pitched the roof you could probably make the whole house out of timber

t. Structural engineer
>>
>>2780801
Why would you need steel? Those 2 beams could just be (2) 2x12's nailed together for each beam. Set them on the wall and then run your roof joists perpendicular?
>>
>>2780803
That's a long free span for timber, and a bit of overhang to the roof

Also tricky to get a section of timber that long, would likely need to splice
>>
File: Capture.jpg (47 KB, 1075x487)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>2780806
Lumber is pretty strong and readily available in long lengths. Steel is overkill for a non loadbearing flat room
>>
>>2780811
All roofs are load bearing
>>
>>2777250
1/10. Building the house is the easy part, the only hard part is getting the permit, which requires a Master's in civil engineering and 4 years of experience.
>>
>>2777250
Looking like a CGI render and lasting 50 years is going to be tricky. Making something roughly that shape that looks ok from a far distance is pretty easy.
>>
File: 1435035231352.jpg (42 KB, 657x802)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>2777250
>On a scale of 1 - 10.
It would be extremely hard I would give that a $10 even attempt it.

You would have to pay $30,000 in Harbor freight tools just to get it halfway good.
>>
A pool house without a pool? Depends on geography. I'd say it cost more than the average ADU. So minimum 200k.

Concrete is not cheap too. 20k?

A custom pool? 80k?
>>
>>2777681
how do I into electrical? I recently bought a home with minor electrical problems. EG, a couple outlets just don't work. And one is for some reason connected to a switch in another room that controls other lights. It's not a big deal so I can just live with it, but if I can DIY a fix I would. I just have no idea how to even get started on learning about electrical work.
>>
>>2783867
says the guy who lives in a shithole.
>>
>>2787253
read the first hundred pages of "Wiring Simplified".
It's available for free on internet archive
>>
>>2786895
How hard would it be to DIY a pool?
>>
>>2787349
it depends on the type and finish. You can dig a hole and throw a liner in it and call it a pool.
>>
>>2777588
??? You don't need a crane to build a house let alone a pissant shed like that
>>
File: Pdc_0020.jpg (334 KB, 1152x864)
334 KB
334 KB JPG
>>2777588
I did this alone.
>>
>>2777250
If you need to ask online, you don't have the skills to do this on your own. If you are not proficient at carpentry it will take an insane amount of time and it will also look like crap.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.