[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1714103378605475.jpg (288 KB, 617x589)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
Do you like Season 1 in hindsight?
>>
Quite a bit
They're not all winners but I think the early tone is very charming, even if they do manage a smattering of better emotional stories later on
>>
>>143358539
not really
>>
>>143358539
They're all pretty much the same.
>>
File: Lapis Ocean Gem.gif (736 KB, 500x500)
736 KB
736 KB GIF
>>143358539
>>
File: 1714011673911353.jpg (52 KB, 500x724)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
I haven't watched steven universe since it came out in 2013, should I give it a try now? I'm not oblivious to it since I know a fair bit of the characters' names but I also don't really know what happens in it
>>
>>143358539
I like Connie's chocolate slit, but that's about it.
>>
>>143359470
Nobody can tell you how you'll feel about it except yourself
It really isn't that big of a commitment. The real pain was the endless hiatuses when it was still airing
>>
>>143359470
No not really, unless you really want to I guess.
But you won't be missing much it's just a shitty melodrama that goes nowhere with half the episodes being random episodic shit about problems of people who live in the town like they can't make a pizza or some guy likes someone and needs help to tell his feelings so it's 20 minutes of drivel each time.
>>
>>143360003
Though I'd disclose the experience for me was definitely a diminishing return after a point
>>
>>143359470
Unless you have the hots for one of the characters I'd say no.
>>
>>143358539
Kind of boring
>>
>>143358539
I liked it while it was airing and so did most of /co/ once the second half kicked in, the season 1 finale even got a sticky thread.

>>143359470
The first two seasons are a lot of fun but about half way through season three the show takes a massive fucking nosedive, and while it does somewhat recover it's hard for me to recommend it now.
>>
>>143358539
Honestly there’s really only 3 things I rewatch from Steven universe, the movie, stronger than you and the she’s gone moment. Even saying rewatch is generous in all honesty.
>>
>>143358539
it was a fun experience when they were airing and everyone was slowly piecing together the lore, but watching them in retrospect would be pretty boring. the art peaked near the end of season 1 and for whatever reason the boarding just got a lot worse. i think i'll always have some sense of nostalgia for it

>>143359118
the visuals for this show really could be amazing, too bad it didn't really stay at this level
>>
>>143361827
The visuals were always kind of inconsistent but it had genuinely stunning moments all the way through season 3. That camera turn around Pearl's head in Mr. Greg is remarkably well-animated. Shit got fucking lazy after that though, in fact almost immediately after Mr. Greg aired funnily enough.
>>
>>143358539
It could be boring or annoying at times but overall was fine. Carried by interesting backgrounds and worldbuilding sprinkled throughout the stupid typical fat retard cartoon protagonist shit that you got from cartoons in that period and the period prior.
The show probably peaked with Jailbreak, and after the cluster arc just got worse.
>>
File: 280.png (334 KB, 691x564)
334 KB
334 KB PNG
>>143361836
we both mentally pictured the exact same well-animated moment. that's kind of telling of how inconsistent the quality was
>>
The background music from season 1 was so fucking good, legitimate contender for strongest OST in a /co/ property. It feels like even the music got lazier as the show went on, but man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzegoYaGaa4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfQY_TW3fmA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7dmHmNoL2g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNcXFlcBJy4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWtkofUmGiw
>>
>>143361897
yes, i listened to the OST all the time. i think it's probably the best thing to come out of SU. the background art was also really strong
>>
>>143361897
The music really helped to build on the idea of the show having a large overarching structure with how strongly it used leitmotifs, and helped so much to sell the sort of angsty mood that was permeating through season 1. It's so weird that those things hardly show up later in the show, it feels like the music just got relegated to background filler and it made the whole atmosphere suffer. I also miss how season 1 had these sort of darker washed-out color pallets and heavy use of shadows that later seasons just completely got rid of. Atmospherically it's such a stronger season than what it evolved into.
>>
>>143361897
The fact that it went from a fetchquest storyline in exotic random locations with a lot of hinting at alien lore to a very melodramatic and unsatisfying story about people interacting with each other still bums me out a lot. Them just going on missions was the shit for me when I was a kid.
>>
>>143361897
>>143361923
>>143361947
I really miss how the show had this undercurrent of dread through the first season, like Steven was just a naïve kid in a genuinely fucked up world that we only sometimes saw real glimpses into.
>>
>>143361954
It had a lot of potential to be just this monster-of-the-week building up to some great reveal later on, but unfortunately RS wanted something completely different and was willing to change course. She didn't even set standards for character designs and proportions.
>>
>>143358539
In retrospect, it is the best season.
>>
>>143361954
And then we finally saw the rest of that world and it wasn't nearly as fucked up as the show had been implying, and rarely even got close to some of the fucked up moments from Season 1.
>>
>>143361799
>>143361827
It was so surreal watching this show go from barely being talked about, to the most popular show on /co/, to widely discussed on 4chan in general, to rapidly becoming hated here, losing popularity, and basically ending on a wet fart. What a fucking rollercoaster.
>>
>>143358539
I liked the whole show.
>>
>>143362222
Speaking as someone who was part of the "fandom" for a bulk of its runtime it was interesting how most of us migrated to /trash/ in order to post about this stupid show. It was a bit sad when the show ended and that community evaporated, but it kind of shows that I liked the community around the show more than the show itself.
>>
>>143362295
/sug/ was comfy barring that schizo discord shit and the time a bunch underage redditors flooded it looking for leaks.
>>
>>143358539
Not really, Steven himself was annoying as shit and the good moments feel few and far between.
To be perfectly fair, I haven't watched this how in years so I don't remember what happened in what season.
>>
>Yeah, the further away it gets the better!
>DOHOHOHOHO
>>
>>143361897
Nah later seasons still had bangers like Bismuths Theme, the White Diamond music, Steven VS Jasper.
>>
>>143362295
The Steven Universe community was a lot more entertaining then the show proper. It's kind of sad how the theories were better than the story we got.
>>
>>143358539
No, SU was never good
>>
>>143358539
It was the only part of the show I liked

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.