[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: GLjg0c4akAAFUb9.jpg (75 KB, 1400x700)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Do you think that the JL and JLU cartoons were an overall negative for comics fandom?
I don't mean if they were good shows, I mean if their existence harmed how people think certain characters should be.
>>
>>143355371
Inb4 that insecure Lanternfag starts bitching.
>>
>>143355371
No. These shows are the best characterization for the League, movies, comics and shows should keep them in mind going forward.
>>
Look at any Creeper or Question thread and tell me that's not the case.
>>
>>143355371
No. People take on those characterizations because the show is better than most of the content with those characters.
Make something as good and people will accept those versions.
>>
>>143355452
Yeah, I think this is probably the one media that took some of the best ideas from different eras in comics.

By the way, can someone tell me why they decided to go for the Nigro Lantern?
>>
>>143355644
Why wouldn't they? It gives more diversity to the cast and you don't really lose anything 'cause it's not like Hal Jordan is this unique brilliant character anyway.
>>
>>143355371
I don't know why you'd single out these shows when the problem is an issue with cape comics having multiple writers in general.
>>
>>143355644
Wasn't Hal dead at the time?
>>
>>143355644
Do you not fucking remember that Kyle Rayner and Hal Jordan were embroiled in the biggest fucking comic fan shitstorm this side of the X-Men?
>>
>>143355644
They wanted a black guys. It's that simple, and it wasn't a bad thing. It wouldn't have been Hal anyway since it was Kyle with Hal's origin who showed up in Superman.
>>
>>143355972
What happened?
>>
>>143355644
It's the same reason they chose Hawkgirl instead of Hawkman - they wanted a more diverse group of characters to work with.
>>
>>143356086
People decided Emerald Twilight was a PsyOp. If you're not in the know Emerald Twilight is where Hal Jordan, grief-stricken over the destruction of Coast City, his hometown, and goes a little bit crazy. First he sits in a fantasy projection he makes using his ring, right up to the point of talking to a projection of his dead dad... but runs out of power right before the old hardass tells Hal he loved him. Then he decides to go AWOL from the Green Lantern Corps and quickly decides he will have to use the power of the central power battery to actually re-create Coast City. Hal kills a good number of lanterns on the way to Oa, when attacking Oa, beats a conscripted Sinestro guarding the central battery, and absorbs it's entire power declaring himself "Parallax". Every other Green Lantern ring gets depowered and Hal kills all of the Guardians except for one of each: Ganthet and Jordan's ring Ganthet gives to Kyle.

Kyle, in the grand scheme, has fuck all to do with Hal's death. But the reaction was that Hal Jordan, the gruff, All American, armed forces vet and clear conservative being ousted by Kyle Rayner, who's character was little more established than "young comic artist" was a political PsyOp and personal attack against anyone who was politically right-aligned, or thought similar to the way they thought Hal "properly" thought projecting endlessly on Kyle.

Hal Stans spent a literal decade doing the 1990s mail spam, camera bombing, did literal effigy burning of Kyle books, booked convention stalls adjacent from whatever DC employee they felt they could bully about it, and generally were the most annoying shits in the DC fandom demanding Hal be revived, face turned, and put back as the primary Green Lantern. Even kept it going for a bit after Rebirth revived Hal and absolved him for attempted unicide by trying to coerce DC into killing Kyle. Because any amount of Kyle was too much for him.

Look up Hal's Emerald Attack Team or HEAT.
>>
>>143355371
In a way, yes. While it did well to introduce a ton of people to comic staples, a lot of the shows original inclusions or interpretations cause people to have the wrong impression of characters and just flat out develop shit taste. The biggest culprit is creating an entire generation of BatWonder fags and reducing Wondy into one of Batman’s groupies. And in general all the wanking he got coupled with Tower of Babel being released at around the same time, creating the Batgod/Preptime Batman meme that still persists.

Other smaller ones is thinking Wally is a clown and jokester 24/7, propping up John Stewart Lantern, planting the seeds(pun unintended) of Ivy being completely defined by Harley.
>>
>>143355371
Why does Wonderwoman expose so much skin? Look at Batman. All that's exposed is half his face.
>>
>>143357025
Called it >>143355426
lanternfags deserve an automatic ban.
>>
>>143355371
nah
>>
>>143357179
ironically it is because of feminism.
>>
>>143355644
he's a decent foil for wally instead of Hal
>>
>>143355371
Would be nice of every other writer was not so focused on making comic JLA into the cartoon JLA.
>>
>>143357025
>reducing Wondy into one of Batman’s groupies
So, just some throwaway stuff that happens in like 4 episodes suddenly ruins everything.

People who think WW did nothing but that are the same who think the whole Batgod is a Bruce Timm thing when he barely shows up in Unlimited and most of the times does fuck all.
>>
>>143357282
That Lanternfaggot is so fucked in head. I'm starting to think he's a legitimate troll with serious mental issues. The internet is always attracting these overly negative victimizing pieces of shits.
>>
people don't read comics so no.
>>
>>143355371
I know there's was the 1989 Batman and the Batman Animated Series but I feel like JL and JLU is what really pushed Batman into being super overrated and overused. They really made Batman have the answer for literally everything. Making the other Justice League members look dumb by comparison. Wonder Woman's unrequited romance with him doesn't help either.

And speaking of Wonder Woman this show did little if anything interesting with her character. She's one of the Big 3 and yet she's shoehorned in since she didn't show up in any of the Batman or Superman shows (even though both Flash and Gl showed up in Superman) and half her dialogue is just flirting with Batman.

On an unrelated note do you think Bruce Timm ever regrets creating Harley Quinn?
>>
I'd say the problems with JLU's Wonder Woman go deeper than that. Her mythos were the ones Timm and co seemed to genuinely despise, to the point where her first two spotlights were about 1.) Being banished from it forever, and 2.) Learning retroactively that her culture produced a genocidal nutcase.

This wouldn't have been a fatal problem, except the show doesn't give her any kind of life or rapport with anyone outside Batman. What does she do in her downtime? Where does she live? Does she even have a civilian ID?
>>
>>143358153
>JL and JLU is what really pushed Batman into being super overrated and overused. They really made Batman have the answer for literally everything. Making the other Justice League members look dumb by comparison. Wonder Woman's unrequited romance with him doesn't help either.
You haven't watched the show, haven't you? He was nowhere to be seen for most of JLU. And when he did, he'd usually just be at the computer and shit like that.
>>
>>143358153
The Lanternfag is back samefagging.
>>
>>143358184
>What does she do in her downtime? Where does she live? Does she even have a civilian ID?
Do they do any of that with anyone else in the JL show? I mean, Batman and Superman had their own shows but I can't remember them going in that direction withGL or Flash either.
>>
>>143358188
Idiots on the internet. Just ignore them.
>>
>>143357282
They're throwaway stuff that people make a bigger deal out of.

>>143357300
>>143357200
Mental illness
>>
>>143358230
>They're throwaway stuff that people make a bigger deal out of.
Touch grass. There's more to life than shitposting and crying online.
>>
>>143358264
Why are you in this thread? Did you not read the topic, faggot? No one here is angry but you.
>>
>>143358299
You need to chill out and take a break from the internet.
>>
>>143358324
That's some top tier projecting you're doing.
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 225x225)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>143358341
Trying to project your projection onto me doesn't mean much.

You might need a few more.
>>
>>143358188
He didn’t.
That what happens when you lose touch of reality. You start seeing things that never happened or wasn’t there.
>>
>>143358212
The Christmas episode was all about downtime for everyone (except Batman and WW). And Flash and GL at least had their civilian lives sprinkled around their spotlight episodes (they even brought in Metamorpho as a personal friend of GL's).
>>
>>143355371
>make the best version of many characters
>some dorks on the internet complain your version is too influential and ruined things
What the fuck are you talking about, should they just not try to do cool takes on characters? Do you want your shit to be purposely mediocre? Feige, is that you?
>>
>>143358212
In the OG series you see GL going through his old neighborhood in the first of the Manhunter episodes.
>>
>>143358896
Not all that different from getting a couple of Amazon Island episodes then.

The biggest difference would be >>143358554 which isn't that big of a difference anyway.
>>
>>143356387
Kek, all this and the fact that younger fans growing up with Kyle actually really like him because it made the artists put more work in than big green boxing gloves, so you had a bit of a generation war I guess.
>>
>>143358944
Yeah there’s definitely not a lot of downtime given that it’s a kids adventure show with a big ensemble cast (which grows exponentially in the second series), but the big 7 at least got some stuff sprinkled in where your imagination fills in the blanks. Honestly I think Wonder Woman makes out fine, it’s Hawkgirl who suffers from being an alien and having no real roots (Superman doesn’t count he grew up in Smallvillevand J’onnz’s big character thing is his isolation).
>>
>>143355644
>By the way, can someone tell me why they decided to go for the Nigro Lantern?
Sure.
>Excerpts from the Justice League Panel at the 2001 San Diego Comic Con:
>Bruce Timm: He’s the most controversial character so far from what we’ve been gathering on the Internet. When the show’s lineup was first announced, there were a lot of people saying, “Why aren’t they using Hal Jordan? No, it’s got to be Guy Gardner. No, it’s got to be Kyle Rayner.” Obviously, we picked the wrong one, but the reason we did choose John Stewart are various—I think they’re all valid. Right off the bat, I’ll just say it: you know we did need ethnic diversity in the Justice League. We felt that the show is going to be seen worldwide and I think having a member of the Justice League who is not just “Mr. White Bread” is a good thing.
>>
>>143356387
You're overhyping what really happened. People hated Emerald Twilight because it was just another cheap stunt like Knightfall and Death of Superman, but the editorial didn't reverse it for a decade because they had low opinions of Green Lantern. HEAT didn't want Kyle to die they just wanted Hal and the GLC back because even in the 90s the premise of a space cop force was interesting to readers. The funny part is that HEAT was right; Kyle being solo didn't amount to much, the events constantly teased readers about the GLC, and sales declined. The minute Peter Tomasi brought Hal back and reunited the GLC, sales exploded and Green Lantern became one of DC's best runs of the 2000s.
>>
>>143355941
So was Barry but that didn't stop Timm from making Flash into an abomination that was both Wally and Barry.
>>
>>143359312
Knightfall was good though. The gauntlet was great and so was Bane's triumph. The stuff afterwards not so much unless you love edge batman jvp
>>
>>143359365
>Knightfall was good though.
The Vengence of Bane and Batman getting his back broken are the highlights, everything else ehhhh.
>>
File: latest[1].png (409 KB, 786x852)
409 KB
409 KB PNG
>>143355426
>>143357200
>>143357300
>>143358203
Why were these five seconds of Hal Jordan better than five seasons of John Stewart?
>>
>>143359436
Because you're biased
>>
>>143358184
The problem is that Bruce Timm is just plain weird about women. The more influence he gets over a story, the more that female characters end up being sidelined as simple eye candy.
>>
>>143359436
Because you're based
>>
>>143359481
>The more influence he gets over a story, the more that female characters end up being sidelined as simple eye candy.
Was Batgrill in the 60s show as bad as Timm's version?
>>
>>143359365
>The stuff afterwards not so much unless you love edge batman jvp
All that was Denny O'Neil making a strawman argument about how a Batman who kills is a bad idea.
>>
>>143359493
If anything, Batgirl was the one sidelining Batman. Half the fun of the show was seeing him and Robin deduce the villain's schemes in their almost-troll logic, but because Season 3 had a cut budget and thus they couldn't do multi-parters anymore, Batgirl always ended up being the Deus Ex Machina so that they could wrap the episode up in one show.
>>
>>143359518
>Half the fun of the show was seeing him and Robin deduce the villain's schemes in their almost-troll logic,
Please tell me Batman and Robin were trolling
>>
>>143355371
Cartoon only fags where the movie only fags of their time.
>>
>>143359708
try in english next time you embarrassing retard
>>
>>143359749
He said not using an ounce of punctuation.
>>
>>143359788
I'll start using punctuation once this brown retard learns basic english
>>
>>143359708
Lmao this
>>
>>143359365
I'm not going to pretend most of JVP's run was great or anything but the Joker in Hollywood arc was legit GOAT material
>>
>>143359808
There was nothing in that sentence that was anything but English. You're a retard.
>>
>>143359941
he writes like a retard, retard should've stayed in school longer
>>
>>143359922
The main problem is that it went for way too long, and to add insult to injury, then they cockteased us with Dickbats just to have Bruce come back after a handful of issues.
>>
>>143359312
>HEAT didn't want Kyle to die
I find it hilarious that this is the first thing you chose to dispute. As if you can ever get 3 angry comic nerds together without someone calling for a death. I never knew any HEAT members with anything but contempt for Kyle. Protip if you have to put a Q&A on your group website saying "We are officially indifferent" and "We only share our positive opinions in inoffensive ways" you're not meeting those squad goals.

And for the rest I'm saying they were right or wrong. I'm saying they were fucking obnoxious.
>>
>>143358389
Take your meds.
>>
>>143360261
How pathetic. You, not HEAT.
>>
>>143358153
>Wonder Woman's unrequited romance with him doesn't help either.
They both were attracted to each other but it was a mutual decision not to pursue it because they both acknowledged that it wouldn't work out.
>>
>>143355371
>>143355452
Why is it that these 90's and early 2000's cartoons are the best characterization of any super hero?
Marvel, DC, shit like He-man, all that. It was just fucking years of pure kino.
>>
>>143355644
>nigro
Trying too hard. You sound like you're fucking 60
>>
>>143361745
Anime boom meant there was a period of time where the better western products tried to compensate with better writing and higher production values, since they couldn't compete with Lost Decade Japan in terms of being cheaper toy commercials.
>>
>>143361745
It’s not that they’re the best, it’s that it’s literally all we have because the companies that licensed them off never attempted it again.
>>
>>143359473
cringe
>>143359482
based
>>
>>143355371
It flanderized a lot of DC heroes so they fit into a team mold. I grew up on the DCAU but the more I read comics the more I came to hated it. A lot of characters and concepts are reduced for plot convenience which kills my suspension of belief.
>>
>>143356387
You’re a faggot, you distort history you know you suit your agenda. Honestly might even be that faggot Ron Marz himself.
>>
>>143360216
Yeah, for the longest time reading it in trade form you got Knightfall parts one and two and then it immediately skipped to KnightsEnd. KnightQuest was eight months when it should have been half that. Dickbats only lasting three months was the exact amount of time it needed, Bruce-as-Batman had been missing for too long.
>>
>>143355371
3 of my favorite characters were portrayed fine. Well, superman had to be weak and strong at the same but overall, the other two were fine.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.