[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1713990029286018.jpg (34 KB, 371x656)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
What even is the point of getting mad over modern remakes and revivals these days when we know very well at this point that they'll be forgotten within a few months after release? They're cheap novelties with a budget behind them and the value of an instagram filter. I'd bet my house that they're at LEAST 40% made as rage bait at this point because a lot of those who swear against them either constantly report on them or go check them out anyway. They're purposefully pissing off both the right AND left now by either race swapping characters or casting actors who racially don't fit the bill like what's happening now with the Lilo and Stitch remake.

The only reason people still talked about the Lion King remake long after it came out, before the prequel announcement, was because an eceleb who's very attached to the og now makes his living shitting on it on stream while he works on multipart feature length reviews on it. The only relevance Mufasa: The Lion King will ever have is getting clowned on for getting Disney's ass beat at the box office by the I'VE COME TO MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT Edgy the Hedgy movie that comes out the same day. The Robocop remake from over a decade ago is rarely ever brought up in Robocop discussions despite the initial outcry against it, and hell Robocop fans are constantly ripping at the sequels from the 80's.
>>
>>143338889
First is because the fan reaction to the product is the fan reaction to the product.

Second is the amount of contempt, dipping frequently into flat out hate that the later creators and media about them has against the core or older audience.

Take what happened with the AVGN and the fem Ghostbusters, or Chakyin at Image, or Stillerson on GI Joe.

If you leave the space open, then other people will fill it. I think you're right that, at least for the evergreens, people should keep in mind that they'll be back next year or two anyways.
>>
why is it that your faggot brain doesn't understand remake =/= replacement
>>
>>143339091
Disney doesn't even disown the originals, at worst they criticize them or use them as the butt of meta jokes
>>
>>143339341
*criticize them through lampshading them in the remakes or use them as the butt of meta jokes
>>
>>143339341
Disney really isn't afraid to disown works with changing moral scolds.
>>
>>143339433
Girlbossing characters is annoying but not on the same level as retconning minstrelsy
>>
>>143339091
Bad remakes are an insult to the source material and fans of said material
>>
>>143338889
>I'd bet my house that they're at LEAST 40% made as rage bait at this point because a lot of those who swear against them either constantly report on them or go check them out anyway.
You're overestimating the intelligence of Hollywood fucks (and putting your house at risk while on it)---they're really disconnected from reality enough to believe that, by shitting on the originals for "problematic content" and making everyone lame & gay on the remake, they're doing a social good. Most of them merely know the world through whatever shit they're taught in expensive colleges and whatever their rich friends tell them.
>>
>>143339500
>You're overestimating the intelligence of Hollywood fucks
Social media algorithms are based almost entirely on showing people shit that pisses them off to keep them on their site long enough to discuss it and rant about it, and there was a whole show that gave people big enough of a hate boner that they watched it so they could make youtube videos and tweets on how it made them go JINKIES. There's no way Hollywood doesnt recognize the power of bait at this point. It's why there's a whole Poohverse now for shock value horror remakes.
>>
>>143339681
>There's no way Hollywood doesnt recognize the power of bait at this point.
I'm willing to concede this as a possibility only if it's recognized by merely an itsy-bitsy-tiny part of the people who work in Hollywood movies. But regarding directors, actors, screen-writters, producers, etc.? At best, they're working towards this huge bait they aren't aware of.
>>
>>143338889
Ok.
>>
>>143339745
Obviously, the creatives are just following orders
>inb4
>>
My problem with them is that they're all that's coming out. Nobody's trying anything new because these financiers have mass suicide as their only directive.
>>
File: ironic.png (129 KB, 500x323)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
>>143338889
>What even is the point of getting mad over modern remakes and revivals these days when we know very well at this point that they'll be forgotten within a few months after release?
And here you are making a thread about it.
>>
File: 1709938968862895.jpg (34 KB, 620x930)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>143339924
I'm not mad, just disappointed
>>
>>143339500
>>143339681
>>143339745
After the sony leaks I presume the big corporate fucks really are that out of touch.
>>
>>143339433
They did exactly that with Don Rosa's Duck comics.
>>
>>143341036
People really give them too much credit. They're just as dumb as most. Very few are actually intelligent and properly business-savvy.
>>
>>143339091
why is it your faggot brain can't let people complain about shit?
>>
File: 534534.jpg (192 KB, 1000x563)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>>143339091
>>
File: queen1.jpg (422 KB, 917x794)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
There's an old thought experiment, called the Ship of Theseus. In short, it poses a question: If you replace all the parts of a ship over time, is it still the same ship? What we are seeing in modern media culture basically is this stretched out to a massive degree. And my answer is: no, they aren't the same. This is a 90 year old company. None of the staff is the same. It's completely different people that have autonomy over a bunch of old stuff. That's really the bottom line.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.