[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: venomverse.jpg (174 KB, 777x1200)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
What is it with Marvel and these big alternate universe crossover things where they come up with a bunch of neat little AU concepts and then throw them into a fucking meat grinder to die an undignified death? Do you think the people hired to come up with them know that's their ultimate purpose? Is it always spider-man adjacent, like are Spider-verse and Venomverse the only ones?
>>
>>143337748
I don't know. It's retarded. Venomverse introduced a bunch of interesting AU Venoms and then killed almost all of them to focus on the 616 characters and a few others. I guess Marvel doesn't think events sell if it doesn't have a bunch of gratuitous death?
>>
>>143337777
It doesn't come across as outright cynical and spiteful as Spider-Verse felt in a lot of cases, but it still felt pointless. It felt like wasted effort. You could have Carnage cutting his way through a bunch of almost identical but elementally-oriented Eddies to get his same goal without it feeling so sad and futile. And it's almost exactly the same thing the previous Venomverse with the Poisons did, just introducing a bunch of alternate what-if Venom symbiotes to murder them off, with a hanging to-be-continued plot that never got revisited either.

I read the first Venomverse and then Death of the Venomverse one after the other (didn't realize Extreme came in between at the time) and it's even more jarring. Like multiverse is just an excuse to butcher expies of your mainline characters.
>>
>>143337748
What the fuck is this?
>>
>>143339139
Spider-verse but venom
>>
>>143337748
There's two from Extreme Venomverse I really liked, the magical girl and the impostor Spider-Man. The Japanese boy, he was okay. Specifically I think the magical girl was the best thing to come out of this slop. The others, well...they're so boring I don't even remember them. As for the earlier Venomverse story, I liked the designs of the Poisons themselves- not the Poison-corrupted people, but the actual little alien thingies- and I thought that alien bounty hunter girl was pretty cool. Of the alternate Venoms themselves...eh, some of them had good designs, and that's the best I can say.
>>
File: strange1.jpg (238 KB, 849x844)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>143339674
on that note, I think this design pisses me off the most because a stupid mobile game also did the concept of "Dr. Strange with a symbiote" but with a much better design
>>
File: strange2.jpg (204 KB, 1800x1013)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>143339769
I love how fleshy it looks. so much cooler.
>>
>>143339769
Gotta save the good shit for the paypigs, anon
>>
>>143339674
The Jeff design was cute but the story was basically nothing. I liked the Japanese boy's style for the symbiote and I liked the oni face for Venom, but honestly Demon Days might have done that better.
>>
File: fantasma.jpg (158 KB, 1466x1620)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>143339674
But yeah, I really liked the Venom magical girl. Y'know how there was that concept art for a magical girl Ghost Rider?? God, I wish they'd done something with those two together. Just a straight up magical girl miniseries. I think I had some ideas for one written down somewhere.
>>
>>143339864
Fuck, a magical girl ghost rider would be horrifying, hilarious, and honestly kinda cool. The Venom was named Nekroko for what it's worth, and that was pretty cute. Did she get murdered on-page or no? I forget.
>>
>>143337748
Marvel is releasing Black Suit variant covers next week. Thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>143337748
The reason for this is that an alternate universe often feels like a cheap copy of our own. It's just an extra us, so its people aren't unique characters, and in fiction , ‘not being unique’ automatically makes one expendable. It is extremely rare for so much as a single refugee to escape a doomed alternate universe, because that refugee will ruin cast speciation for the Earth-1 version unless the refugee will become a suspiciously similar substitute. In-universe, this is often simply pragmatism from the characters: Works that feature alternate universes often use the "infinite variations" model of the multiverse, and the leads simply can't afford to worry about saving every single possible universe.
>>
>>143339885
I don't remember if she died, but most likely the answer was yes.
>>
>>143339864
Honestly the Venom Magical Girl seems like a perfect villan for Peni if they ever make a comic for that character again.
Too bad they already used Venom as a different Vilnian
>>
>>143340387
I'd pay so much for Peni to get a full miniseries too, come to think of it.
>>
>>143337748
Venom comics have made an art form out of introducing interesting characters only to do nothing with them and never have them show up again.
>>
>>143340387
>>143340845
Funny you mention her because Extreme Venomverse included another straight-up Evangelion ripoff with Flash Thompson but it was clearly unconnected to Peni's world.
>>
>>143339864
The Ghost Rider girl is making her debut in the next issue of Spider-Woman or the one after. The other sidekick concepts will also be showing up.
>>
>>143340141
Gwenompool (who somehow got into this crossover despite already having gotten killed in the first venomverse) died for sure, as did the cute cavegirl venom and ghost rider venom and preacher venom, but terminator, jeff, and nekroko look like they were just knocked out, shortly before all getting sent home anyway. That's just from the last main issue, though, I didn't dig back for a full bodycount.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.