[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bald guy.jpg (78 KB, 564x497)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Hello /co/lleagues. Do you know where this panel comes from? I posted here a week ago or so and you gave me some interesting leads and I had fun tracking it all down, but no luck in actually finding the source so far.

I've showed around to some guys who have been reading comics for 40 years and they don't know, either, so now my curiosity about has increased. Even if you don't know where it comes from, if the style or colors remind you of something let me know, I'll read through the stuff you think it might be in.
>>
Bumping for interest
>>
>>143332062
OP here, thanks.

I guess I should also say I'm 99% certain this is not Major Zastrow, the most obvious guess due to the character's appearance. I've looked virtually his every single appearance but no luck.
>>
>>143332154
I have to admit this is bothering the hell out of me now. My googlefu is weaker than I thought it would be.
>>
>>143332312
I showed this panel to a group of 7 or 8 people, 2 of them siblings that have been reading comics for 40 years and none could identify it. That's when I realized this is an actual challenge.

In the last thread someone mentioned the artwork looked like Parobeck but I checked most of his famous runs and didn't find anything. After doing some research, the colors look like it could be Lovern Kindzierski but that guy did tons of work and it will be a while before I can check most of it. So now I'm hoping someone casually perusing the catalog will know where it's from. You never know!
>>
>>143333490
I wish you luck, are you sure it's American?
>>
>>143333499
It has that DC/Marvel style from the Bronze Age but of course at this point I'm not sure about anything anymore. lol And thanks.

I'll bump one last time for today and try again some other time.
>>
No clue. I'd guess it's from the 90s.
FWIW the inking and lettering remind me of Superman Adventures.

>>143333490
>I showed this panel to a group of 7 or 8 people, 2 of them siblings that have been reading comics for 40 years and none could identify it
You say that as though that demonstrates this is a uniquely difficult to source panel when this would likely be true for practically every non-descript out-of-context panel.
>>
>>143333577
I've read a lot of Superman but you might be right, I'll check some 90s Super and some of the George Perez run in that book, I might get lucky.

Yeah I guess you're right. It's just it never happened we couldn't track down an issue, character, etc. But then again, it was always a major or minor character, I'm guessing this guy is just an extra.
>>
>>143333530
>It has that DC/Marvel style from the Bronze Age
The flat looking color style maybe, but the angle and wording isn't quite right I think. The insult is too blunt and the wording too concise. Even then the colors have a marked gradient that makes it more likely from the 90's.
>>
>>143333738
Hm, you might be on to something but if it's not American I have no idea where to look. Any suggestions? 2000AD is the only title I can think of.
>>
>>143333738
The colors make me think of late 90s and early 2000s. Since it seems to be using a font instead of hand-drawn lettering, my guess is it's from the early 2000s. Most comics that I've been reading transitioned from hand-lettering to fonts around that time.
Also, OP's picture has the look and feel of being scanned from a physical magazine. Digital rips became more widespread than scans during the 2010s. So I'm guessing it's probably not from that decade.

Unfortunately, I can't recognize the panel either.
>>
>>143333530
>>143333577
that gradient isn't 80s

early 90s at earliest.
>>
>>143333994
Thanks! Every bit of observation helps.
>>143334058
Duly noted.

Meanwhile, if I find it by myself I'll open a thread telling you guys where it's from.
>>
>>143330946
Can't look at this and not think of the Superman TAS/ Adventures comics I never read
That's what the art here reminds me of the most at first glance.
The guy in the pic doesn't scream Lex to me though
I could be way off but, that gradient thing on the ground where it goes from yellow to purple/blue, something about it strikes me as a 90s thing
>>
Last bump.
>>
>>143335880
bump with my best attempt. From Robin 1993.
>>
>>143336795
Thanks for looking into it. The character on your pic appears only on this issue and he dies in it. I did check some other issues on the Russian site but it doesn't seem to be it.
>>
>>143330946
My money's on this being a Malibu comic OP: competent digital coloring despite a coarse line screen before high-end bleached/coated paper and higher line screens became the industry norm usually necessary for that. A smooth gradient like this at a nearly newsprint line screen was unheard of at the Big Two. Also, digital lettering that doesn't look like shit.
Could a comic book printer do that gradient manually if so directed? Yes, but they would have bled it to avoid the misregistration at the bottom.
>>
>>143337687
I did check all their Aircel imprint so it's definitely not that at least. I'll try to go through all the Ultraforce and Night Man, it could be in one of those, the art looks kind of similar. Thanks for taking a look at this!
>>
I'm 90% convinced it is from one of various the DCAU comics that were printed in the 90s or early 2000s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Animated_Universe#Comic_books
The 10% doubt is because there's every chance that it could be from random comic that Bruce Timm drew himself.
I'll respond in the archives of this thread if I do come across the source.
>>
Where/how did you come upon this image file? Just a feeling but it could be a promotional comic or ad type thing too. For a line of toys or Hostess or something.
>>
>>143338185
I've seen the two styles Timm is known for and this doesn't look like either, even taking into account inkers disguising pencilers.
>>
>>143338185
Thanks, anon. I'll definitely check every single book of that (the ones I can find that is). You certainty gives me hope.
>>143338269
I was browsing pinterest leisurely, searching for 'comic book artwork' to see if I got lucky and find an artist I didn't know about. This one shows up. I liked the uncommon angle of the character, the fast but precise inking and the soft colors. It also bothered me a little that I could not tell where it's from. I did a lot of reverse search but nothing came up. Funny enough, I did find a post in reddit from years ago by some other guy looking for the source of this panel. One guy responded it's from some old Suicide Squad story. I checked and it wasn't. So I downloaded the picture and showed around my local comic shop to about a dozen guys, many of them have been reading comics for decades and they couldn't point the source either, so curiosity is pulling by the nose at this point. I figure here at 4chan there are thousands of people coming through, one of you guys must have seen of recognize the artist, the colors, the character, something! Anything.
>>
>>143338503
You may as well ask on reddit and twitter too.
/co/ is more of a cartoons board than a comics board, sadly.
>>
>>143338882
I prefer the anonymous team effort we have going on here but thank you for your suggestion. I'll try it if nothing comes up for a while.
>>
passerby bumping for answers
>>
>>143337687
Since an anon upped this one I'll just say that I just finished flipping through over 400 issues of Malibu comics and it's not there, but I had a very fun time with it and I intend to actually read some of the titles (all of them look pretty damn cool except for Prime.) Malibu stuff is definitely a testament that artwork alone will not sell. They consistently published books that look WAY MORE attractive than the big two and yet that was not enough.

Night Man looks great.
>>
>>143341366
Prime is actually one of the better books.
Also Malibu DID sell. It’s partly why Marvel bought them up. they were eating up market share.
>>
>>143341435
Marvel bought them for their in-house digital coloring software and did fuck-all with the character IP
>>
>>143342497
>Marvel bought them for their in-house digital coloring software and did fuck-all with the character IP
That's the publicized reason, they also did it so DC wouldn't buy them first and possibly take over the market share.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.