[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: f044168.jpg (44 KB, 300x444)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
How do you cope with what will happen to your /co/ collection after you die?

I have complete runs of Archie sonic, 80s marvel transformers, new mutants, Excalibur and a few others. I have almost all of the G1 transformers, tons of Sega and Nintendo games, etc. some worth $700.

But no one in my family is smart enough to extract money from anybody it if I die. My older sister is BPD. My little sister is a gamer that trades her games in. Her and her husband have mostly bare walls with gaming PCs and home tvs.

If I was to die today, they would probably trade it all in for pennies on the dollar.

I find myself thinking about this more and more. I look around their homes and they live like lazy idiots. They can not be bothered to learn eBay.

I often go through dollar boxes and this is how ive built much of my collection. Today I went through a shop for 3 hours. And I really have to wonder what the point is if my family is too fucking stupid to get the most from my thrift and hobbies.

Its frustrating to think that my things could help them when I'm gone but they just can't muster the skills and get up go to make it happen. My sonic collection alone is worth over $1k and I cringe at the idea of them taking it to a shop and getting 5 cents on the dollar. Or putting it in a dumpster because they are too stupid to reverse search the brand a d issue numbers.
>>
If your family can't appreciate it, what can you do? There's probably stuff your deceased relatives had owned that had sentimental or monetary value
>>
>>143329162
Just write a note saying "hey idiots, this is worth X amount of money.".
If they don't act on it, it's their decision to be poorer, and you'll be dead so why would you care
>>
Bundle it up and write down what you think it’s worth. Then give it to an Op shop like the Salvos who eBay collections they think are worth money.
>>
>>143329162
What are you going to do about if you're dead? Nothing, that's what.
>>
>>143329162
SERIOUS REPLY:

Leave detailed instructions for them about what to do (and what NOT to do) with everything so that they can sell it for as much money as possible.
>>
>>143329162
got thrown out years ago op
>>
>giving a shit about what happens after you die

Lol. Lmao, even.
>>
Burn it with yourself before dying like Chuck did.
>>
>>143329162
>sell enough of your collection to buy yourself a mail order bride
>have kids
>let them enjoy it
>leave it to people who’ll actually appreciate it
>>
>>143329162
went through a lil 'i have too much stuff' when the pandemic hit
shipped my books to anons in /shelf/
would probably do the same again cause my library slowly building up
>>
>>143329162
I probably won't care.
>>
>>143331702

I can't decide if it is narcissism or enlightenment to not care about your stuff after death.

Families tend to put about two dumpsters of stuff in the trash every time someone dies just because the average human doesn't know how to manage "stuff"

It's like one final act of worshipping the consumer god by scaring a lifetime of stuff, forcing others to consume new products.

Western culture is so stupid people can't even repurpose shelving or utensils and will just trash that shit over donating it
>>
>>143332906
You'll either be too busy enjoying heaven, being tortured in hell, being reincarnated as someone else, or not existing to worry about it. No matter what, every problem stops being your problem when you die.
>>
>>143333055
See >>143333065

Once you're dead, the living realm is beyond your concern.
>>
>>143333065
Isn't this a rather selfish way to look at life? That problems only matter when they impact "you"?

Assuming you do not hate your family or stuff, why would you not want your loved one to get the money back out of yourself and someone else to enjoy it? Why would you want more of the earth destroyed by making more landfill?

I shouldn't be surprised that modern people have no sense of responsibility or affection for others unless they can avoid their own suffering or gain something.
>>
>>143333080
>Once you're dead, the living realm is beyond your concern.

We don't actually know this. Plenty of religions think you watch your family. For all you know, you get to watch your family be idiots until they die
>>
>>143333106
>my family is full of retards who don't know shit, can't do anything right and borderline mental
>I deeply care about them and not just getting butthurt that my junk will be thrown out when I die
Come on, brah.
>>
>>143333225
It is possible to love idiots. I don't have to agree with people's choices in life to love them
>>
>>143333121
If I believed my dead relatives were watching me like David Willis thought his dead grandma was watching him fap I would have killed myself a long time ago.
>>
I imagine I'll downsize my collection massively when I'm old and have lots of free time.
The most sentimental/rare items I'd leave to friends/family who would like them with instructions to either donate it to a library or sell it and give the money to charity if they don't want it.
>>
>>143333106
>Isn't this a rather selfish way to look at life? That problems only matter when they impact "you"?

Yes, it is. And yes, I'm a selfish bastard. I'm not gonna claim to be a good person. I'm a selfish bastard, not a lying selfish bastard.
>>
>>143329162
Get a will if you care, one with details on value.
>I leave issues 1-200 of X series valued at $Y as of this date to my stupid family.
>>
>>143333055
>Western culture is so stupid people can't even repurpose shelving or utensils and will just trash that shit over donating it
As people age they generally lose the energy/ability to upkeep a lot of their stuff So by the time you inherit Grandma's prized china, it's dusty, grimy, chipped, and half the pieces are missing.
Plus interior decorating tastes change. So as nice as the wood cabinet is(if you ignore the parts rotting off), it looks completely out of place with a newer looking house.
>>
>>143334215
>it looks completely out of place with a newer looking house

The rest of the world dunks on the US for this mindset

So much money and labor is wasted due to fads. Constantly buying entire home's worth of furniture and decorations to achieve whatever the current hot thing is.

Just use the shelf. Put stuff on it.
>>
>>143334272
anon the shelf is collapsing and has a drawer full of termite eggs because grandma could barely move the last few years of her life and let it go to shit. And even if you tried to salvage it, it was the 50's equivalent of modern mass produced crap anyway.
The "rest of the world" can barely fathom just how big the US is, or how much stuff there is in general.
>>
>>143329162
I dunno, told my friends recently I wanted my stuff to go to someone who would care for it somewhat, no bullshit like charity or throwing it away. I know of retarded relatives who like throwing stuff away for "cleaning up energies" or some crystal-buying gaytard crap like that.
>>
>>143334324

This is very specific. Did your family neglect your grandmother? Why did things get so bad?
>>
>>143334215
Newer architecture and decoration looks too sterile. Needs some nice carved furniture.
>>
>>143334536
>cleaning up energies

Those types of women are mentally ill.

Probably also has a room packed with Chinese made crafting supplies

Probably also likes to paint hardwood furniture and make wine racks from used pallets
>>
>>143329162
Sell it now and put the money in a trust for them
>>
>>143334554
I actually thriftshop/salvage goods myself. I've got a wooden cabinet I restored from shit condition that I put some collector toys in. I've seen some awful cases.
That said most people would not have the time/skill/desire to do so.
>>
>>143334578
Shit like that. If it were up to that kind of people, there would be no museums.
Imagine a wonderful world where we all listened to the words of wisdom from India and the like. We could be shitting all over the streets and dumping corpses on our water sources.

>Those types of women are mentally ill.
My brother's also into that stupid shit, so... yeah.
>>
File: 1351216729556.jpg (46 KB, 500x375)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
Whos going to be buying this stuff in 20 or 30 years anyway
>>
>>143334631
>That said most people would not have the time/skill/desire to do so.

The average human can barely do their job. We are a long way from 1950 where a military's worth of men came back being able to work with wood, wire a house or repair a car.

A big reason people have no money now is that pay is low and people have to pay for every task because no one can do for themselves
>>
>>143334814
If it's up to Hasbro and Disney, a new generation of fans. They want all this stuff to be ever green. And it will probably stay like this until there is another economic boom. Until then, companies will be risk adverse and avoid new brands and just recycle safe old ones
>>
>>143333484
This is the only real answer

Your collection is ideally for you to either enjoy reading while you're alive or cash in on after appreciation, it's not a house
>>
>>143334893
Everything is a house and even a house is not a house.
>>
>>143334814
>>143334887
People will be buying these old treasures because Hasbro and Disney just stopped publishing/making them the way people liked. They take these IPs for granted.
>>
>>143335156
Normally things fade away and prices drop at best goes in the garbage at worst.

People collect their childhoods. People get raises and have more money as they age. Mint examples also become more rare. So prices sky rocket. Then those people die and their collections hopefully go back into the market. Demand starts to go down and supply goes up.

People WANT demand to always go up, probably because they use this stuff to invest or launder money BUT that is just a fantasy.

We even see this now. I walk into an antique store looking for a box of comics and see cool metal steam shovels and trucks. But the shop wants $250 for them. I'm not buying them. My price is more like $25.

All this stuff will go down in value if Disney or Hasbro don't put out new content to keep kids interested
>>
>>143335256
>Normally things fade away and prices drop at best goes in the garbage at worst.
You know, we live in times with some potential. Scanning is a common thing, 3d scanning is becoming more common, internet hosting is simple enough... preserving good old stuff for whoever might take interest is a bit easier. Replicas and replacement parts are getting easier to get. Even programmed obsolescence could stop being a problem.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.