[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why does this comic make soibois on good reads seethe?
>>
>>143326481
It's grossly historically inaccurate. It's like if you wrote a story where the Nazis fighting in the Battle of the Bulge were fighting diversity, inclusion, and other LGBTQ+++ talking points.
>>
>>143327186
>It's grossly historically inaccurate.
That's not their reasons however
>>
>>143327557
If you already know the answer why did you kill a topic?
>>
>>143326481
What is this hideous vertical cover? It’s a landscape dimension oversized book.

>>143327186
Brown hands typed this post.
>>
>>143327731
Seriously, anon. Even the historical sources sucking Spartan cock and praising them over the Athenians noted that a slave in Sparta was more a slave than anywhere else in all of Greece, and 90% of the population of Sparta was slaves.

How am I supposed to believe that Sparta were these huge champions of freedom again?
>>
>>143326481
why do you come here to tell us how pissed you are about people on other sites?
I bet it's like, 5 reviews too
>>
retards like these remind me to never write anything based on real life history
>>
>>143327781
>How am I supposed to believe that Sparta were these huge champions of freedom again
Not once does the comic say they are. It’s also an intentionally biased telling of the story from the Spartan perspective. It’s almost like you don’t know how to read anything more complex than a shopping list (not to say this is even all that complex) because you’re some seething, semi-retarded poo in the loo.
>>
>>143328259
last week we had someone ask why there's no fictional depictions of American history that go over the top the way Japan does with samurai, and this is exactly why. Fucking dorks in the anglosphere who want to flex history trivia they know
>>
The type of people who seethe about it not being “historically accurate” seem to always be the types that don’t mind that Hamilton is made as a rap musical with black people playing white people.

Just strikes me as hypocritical.
>>
>>143328336
I mean, you do have westerns, but american politics makes it so tricky to do you might as well just make a western set in a fantasy or sci-fi world.
>>
>>143327781
>How am I supposed to believe that Sparta were these huge champions of freedom again?
It's intentionally biased in favor of the Spartans, in order to make the story a Cold War metaphor, you mong. Sparta = America, Persia = Soviet Union "Evil Empire". Everyone sane knows that the Spartans were monstrous assholes and the Persians were actually pretty chill (if extremely backstabby in their political arenas).
>>
>>143327781
>freedom again?
Freedom from shitskin invasions
>>
>>143327781
Did you miss the entire part about how they pluck their own children, force them to beat each other bloody and train for war? At no point in the comic do they act as if they’re “champions of freedom”. They’re openly and clearly just champions of themselves and don’t want to bow to a foreign threat, whether other Greek or anywhere else. It’s also clear that leonidas opposes their own Spartan traditions give his reaction to the ephors and the Oracle.

Beyond this it isn’t a historical text, it’s a comic loosely based on a historical event. And his still has them lose in the end.
>>
>>143328336

America is just too young for proper legends
>>
>>143327186
>t's like if you wrote a story where the Nazis fighting in the Battle of the Bulge were fighting diversity, inclusion, and other LGBTQ+++ talking points.
So it would be historically accurate?
>>
>>143328365
Or you know, people stopped caring about westerns forty, fifty years ago.
>>
>>143328353
Hamilton is a musical reinterpretation of events, not a serious retelling of history. 300 meanwhile wants you to take it 110% seriously and never makes a clear distinction that it’s telling a very biased version of events.
>>
>>143328845
People still like the elements. Mando was popular. Rango isn't the biggest animated movie but it is remembered fondly.
>>
>>143328779
that has nothing to do with it, Japan has fictionalized history stories about stuff from the 20th century.
>>
>>143328906
The japanese don't have the historical self loathing culture we have in the west.
>>
>>143328896
How autistic are you that the last part didn't register? It couldn't have been any more obvious.
>>
File: 20240424_065414.jpg (728 KB, 3051x1940)
728 KB
728 KB JPG
>>143326481
Anti Persian racism allegedly. I don't mind it but Persians really were offended by it.
>>143328336
>Fucking dorks in the anglosphere who want to flex history trivia they know
But the Japanese also like to make historically accurate media along side historical fantasy.
>>
>>143327186
Xenephon, the guy who wrote this history 300 is based on was grossly inaccurate himself.
>>
>>143328336
Check out the Mel Gibson movie The Patriot, or the book Blood Meridian.
>>143327186
The Nazis were fighting an international coalition of globohomo though. The books they burned in Berlin were transgender research and pro-pedophilia books from the Berlin Institute of Sex, and they only rose to power in the first placeas a response to the globohomo LGBTQ+ Weimar Republic..
>>
>>143327186
Since when do they give a FUCK about historical accuracy?
>>143327781
>How am I supposed to believe that Sparta were these huge champions of freedom again?
What? Did you even read the same book I did?
>>
>>143329083
He didn't read the book, he only saw the Scott Snyder movie
>>
>>143328336
Tall tales aside, lets let Japan do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPsSou8APfU

Vid related. It's president Andrew Jackson, a playable character in Samurai Showdown.
>>
>>143328353
I know what you're getting at, but stage plays almost never get the same criticism because stylistic interpretation is expected. Shakespeare's plays were based off history and the liberties are long accepted.
>>
>>143329105
Yasuke.

The fan fic has gotten so bad that the English wikipedia page is complete trash.
>>
>>143329064
>Check out the Mel Gibson movie The Patriot,
When that movie came out, you know what happened? A shit ton of people criticizing it for historical inaccuracy and for it being biased history.
>>
File: Chibi Daka.jpg (9 KB, 150x220)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>143329064
>Blood Meridian
fThat's getting made into a movie. I hear it's the most violent book ever written, made people sick back in the 90s. I've listened to some of the audiobook, it's beautifully brutal.
>>
>>143329103
>lets let Japan do it.
Let's not. Shit's awful.
>>
>>143328898
It has nothing to do with American politics. People just don’t find westerners interesting anymore outside of isolated exceptions.
>>
>>143329129
Do you think in Japan nobody ever talks about historical inaccuracies in their own media?
>>
>>143329118
Yasuke is a reap historical person that Japan has made plenty of media about yet racist weebs can’t help but to seethe at the idea of black person in Japan having their own Wikipedia article.
>>
>>143329170
Of course they would, but it's not the main point of criticism and they have enough in the vein of wild historical divergences that they understand when something isn't meant to be 1:1 accurate. It's more likely just a point of comparison- discussing how the real history influenced and was exaggerated for the fiction but understanding why it would be.
With historical inaccuracies in American work, it largely becomes the main point of critisism.
>>
>>143329186
He was a real historical person....that was pretty much just a footnote in the Unification of Japan.

The English wikipedia page is loaded with garbage. Compare it with the Japanese wikipedia page that has pretty much every primary source mentioning him in history linked.

>>143329151
The left's contempt for parts of the wild west is very blatant.
>>
>>143329225
You can smell the seething from a mile away
>>
>>143329265
What were you expecting from this thread?

>>143329087
I didn't see the movie. I'll take your word for it.
>>
>>143329211
Nobody gives a flying fuck when you do generic historical period fiction. It becomes the focus of criticism only when you specifically choose to tie yourself to actual people and events and blatantly alter them while presenting them to be historically accurate. Which is what American fiction likes to do a hell of a lot more and there’s way more survived records about that shit.

Nobody is ever complaining about Clint Eastwood’s western for their accuracy the way they do about Mel Gibson’s Braveheart or the Patriot that want to be taken super serious historical epics depicting major events of history.
>>
>>143329378
I may just run in more idiotic circles than you, but I see people do that shit ALL THE FUCKING TIME. It's much more a proxy for whatever they feel politically than historical accuracy though.
>>
>>143329378
>the way they do about Mel Gibson’s Braveheart or the Patriot that want to be taken super serious historical epics depicting major events of history.
which again, brings me back to my original point that history nerds would nitpick every bit
And no, The Patriot(or Braveheart, or Apocolypto) were never intended to be 100% accurate history, Gibson is on record saying he took many liberties for the sake of entertainment.
>>
>>143329431
>Mel’s projects were never intended to be historically accurate

That never comes off as clear intent when you watch his movies. And that’s the problem. His tone and approach is always too serious and don’t diverge in ways that make it clear it’s just dumb entertainment, so naturally people expect there to be proper accuracy.

Nobody expects Guy Richie doing King Arthur to be anywhere near historically accurate because his style makes it clear it’s never intended to be. Same way the Last Legion gets a pass. Meanwhile someone like Ridley Scott is expected to be because that’s traditionally more his style. And I say that as someone who agrees with Ridley in not giving a fuck about his Napoleon being inaccurate. If you want to make fiction about history, the more it is about read characters and events more scrutiny you will receive, especially when there are so many records available.
>>
>>143329520
Then that's the problem of the viewer taking them at face value and not doing their own research. There should be room for heavily stylized historical takes should be allowed along with fictionalized ones that are played more straight..
>>
>>143329583
>Do your own research!!

Yeah, nobody is going to do homework over a random movie. Maybe you should do what Japan does and do generic period fiction instead of hyper focus on real events and famous characters and then get upset when people point out the inaccuracies. Nobody is going to be particularly upset over a fictionalised stand-in a la Shogun outside of history nerds while people will take issue when you completely misrepresent large parts of reap events. Unless you do something as egregious as the Patriot where the British as mustache twirling cartoon villains to a point it comes off as super weird anti-British propaganda that’s entirely out of place in modern times.
>>
>>143329682
>Yeah, nobody is going to do homework over a random movie.
That's their own fault, then.
>>
>>143326481
Too masculine.
>>
>>143326481
Call the soibois who can make a good onions material...
>>
>>143327186
go on
tell me how it's inaccurate
>>
>>143328896
>300 meanwhile wants you to take it 110% seriously
So you’ve never read it? Or do you actually think human beings look like mutants as Ephialtes did? There’s various supernatural and fantastical elements. At no point would anyone but a retard think it’s a mainly historically accurate representation

This is like seething about The Patriot or The Gladiator
>>
>>143331852
What part of 300 represents itself as not serious?
>>
>>143326481
reading mediocre things 'to stick it to the libs' makes you a colossal faggot
>>
>>143332014
> t. Seething soiboy
>>
>>143331940
See: >>143331852
But actually read this time.
>>
>>143331401
I notice she didn’t do this.
>>
>>143332332
It’s a heavily stylised comic. That doesn’t make it any less serious. Or justify Miller’s poor attempt to depict Spartans as thinking they were above fucking boys unlike their enemies
>>
>>143332464
>Spartans as thinking they were above fucking boys unlike their enemies
See:>>143328260
But this time actually read it.
>>
>>143326481
I love it and I have Persian friends
>>
>>143332503
It was poorly written, historically inaccurate, remembered for its art showcase
>>
>>143332750
>poorly written
Why cause it hurt your fee fees?
>>
File: 1709551527259936.jpg (305 KB, 1345x1624)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>>143327186
>Nazis fighting in the Battle of the Bulge were fighting diversity, inclusion, and other LGBTQ+++ talking points.
This is true assuming Call of Duty is accurate with black soldiers fighting on the front lines for the Allies in every single theater
>>
>>143332750
You didn’t actually read the posts did you? Because you haven’t genuinely replied to them either time I told you to go back and try again.
>>
>>143329828
You do not research the historical accuracy of every movie you watch, Mr. Internet Tough guy. Go get your dopamine hits from argueing somewhere else, loser.
>>
>>143333483
The point is I don't assume a movie that has to be restrained to 1 and half-3 hours and meet the approval of executives, test audiences, etc. is going to be 100% historically accurate.
>>
>>143333579

You have to assume some parts are accurate or semi-accurate. And if you don't come into there already knowing history about whatever highly specific subject this is you are just going to guess.

Although since "Hitler & Nazi bad" is the most prominent and enforced historical absurdity I'd say the standards are pretty rock bottom.
>>
>>143326481
It's alright. Not his best, but still worth reading.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.