[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1691847119431.jpg (133 KB, 1138x722)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
> Character misses a show because of shenanigan related issues. Also known as the appointment tv thread or something
> Character has to wait for something to get what they want or not.
> Character does something wrong either on purpose or accidentally gets caught red handed and punished
> Characters flanderized as loud mouthed brats
> Shows that gets alot of hiatuses because of stupid reasons
> When network shows shows in seasonal rot era instead of golden era
>>
Where?
>>
>>143320279
Got kinda tired of the hot guy/girl secretly bad over the years.
>>
All tropes. I want a show with absolutely zero tropes.
>>
File: 4311471_medium.jpg (12 KB, 180x180)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>143320279
>character has a crush
>character goes through great lengths to get their attention even if it means humiliating themselves
>near the end of the episode, the person they have a crush on notices them and has a conversation with them
>twist ending where the person the character has a crush on is already in a relationship with another character.

This shit pisses me off to no fucking end. Just let the main character win for fuck's sake.
>>
>>143321566
That'd be impossible
>>
>>143320279
>Tropes
Go back.
>>
File: surfdracula.png (27 KB, 588x259)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>"Surf Dracula" syndrome (pic related)
>show introduces ten-million new characters rather than developing the old ones
>depowering. I signed on for super-adventures, not seeing Superman lose his powers and have to regain them for the billionth fucking time
>anti-hero/villain joins the heroes and becomes a jobber
>shitty wizard villains in martial arts settings
>>
>>143321878
Excuses. Just figure it out.
>>
>>143320279
>soijak
Kill yourself
>>
>>143322340
That's not a soijak dumb zoomer
>>
File: Archie rage.png (231 KB, 401x401)
231 KB
231 KB PNG
>Character gets accused of doing something wrong because they're in the wrong place at the wrong time
>Other characters keep interrupting him when he tries to explain
>Even if this character was known to be honest before
>Everyone realizes that they were wrong about him by the end of the episode and it's just brushed off

>Characters have a misunderstanding caused by an event that a particular character couldn't have possibly controlled
>Character tries to explain himself
>"I didn't think-"
>"That's right, you DIDN'T think."
>>
>>143322328
Fine. Enjoy watching the black screen show
>>
I now want to watch a comedy about some fat NEET who complains about tropes he sees in his real life as if it was a movie.
>>
>>143320279
When the not dog animal acts like a dog
>>
>>143320279
>> Character misses a show because of shenanigan related issues. Also known as the appointment tv thread or something
I remember savino using alot o those in his cartoons he has directed.
>>
File: Bendy.png (368 KB, 706x535)
368 KB
368 KB PNG
>Cutesy character joins group
>But he's actually EVIL
>Starts breaking shit and causing mischief, then blaming it on the main character
>No one believes the main character because "How could you blame it on the cutesy one, they're so innocent"
>Camera pans to the cutesy character with a shit-eating grin

I have zero fucking clue why so many cartoons use this plot. Even fucking Pokemon used it twice. Why? Do they want their viewers to get pissed off? Is there just a big book of cartoon episode plots to get recycled for other cartoons?
>>
>>143324421
If you've ever had a sister, or been to a public school this shit goes on 24/7
>>
>>143324421
Would be cathartic to see one of these plots end with the dickhead character just getting the shit kicked out of them because the mc had enough of their shit.
>>
File: dj pauly.jpg (24 KB, 536x500)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>143320279
>hot evil girl
>hot monster girl
>hot weird girl (not to be confused with "quirky" girls)
>hot thirsty girl
>hot crazy girl
>hot "girl"
>all these infinitely more interesting potential love interests and the male main character chooses the most boring girl
>>
File: 1638808552151.jpg (42 KB, 1024x577)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
It's not really a common trope you see in modern shows, but for older action shows and anime they ususally have an episode that goes like this.

>Alien race or something starts obiliterating earth.
>Heroes fight tooth and nail to finally get to the boss.
>Instead of killing them they go "BUT WHY BOSS!? WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!?
>Boss: I HAVE STUDIED HUMANS FOR A MELLENIA! ALL YOU HUMANS DO IS FIGHT AND START WAR AS SHOWN IN THIS MONTAGE OF WAR AND VIOLENCE AND STARVING SCARED CHILDREN! IF YOU ARE ALLOWED TO CONTINUE YOU WILL SPREAD YOUR VIOLENCE TO ALL THE CORNERS OF THE UNIVERS!
>Hero: BUT WAIT BOSS! Let's just igore your hypocrisy and show you this montage of people being nice! Look! white people giving rice to starving African children! Some vet helping a puppy! And who can forget generic organic farm in the middle of a non descript desert growing tomatos! See we aint all bad!
>Boss: HHHHMMMMMMM OK! ILL STOP THE GENOCIDE! THANKS FOR TEACHING ME A VALUABLE LIFE LESSON!
>*all is forgiven*
>>
File: teddiursa.png (116 KB, 354x265)
116 KB
116 KB PNG
>>143324444
Nice quads. Also yeah I know that too well lol, I just wish they would put a spin on it, like the cutesy guy gets his ass kicked, and everyone says sorry to the main character or something. But it always feels like they get off scot-free.

>>143322398
Idk if there's a name for this but I think of it as the "Shrek" plot point. It's the laziest thing, I swear they just use it as a way to bring the plot into the "big sad moment before the big reunion at the end". But it pisses me off, it's not just easily avoided but it's cliche too. I love Dreamworks movies but they always always use this "misunderstanding, then sad musical number" thing. Though I was pleasantly surprised when Puss in Boots 2 actually did the reverse.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (133 KB, 1280x720)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>Kid main character wishes they were an adult
>The episode is them learning about how adulthood is suffering

I get that it's supposed to be "appreciate what you have while you still can", but they always take the wrong damn approach and just give people existential dread. Even as a kid I realized people can only get older, and thus that "shitty adulthood" they show was just an inevitability for everyone. They never show the good parts of being a kid, only the bad parts of being an adult.
The worst part is they play it like it's a good moral to teach. You're just gonna end up with a bunch of unhappy adults who chase what they can't have while ignoring the good new adult capabilities in front of them.
>>
>>143324421
>Do they want their viewers to get pissed off?
Yes. They're putting heat on the heel to prepare for the babyface's big comeback, brother.
>>
>>143321566
It's been done. You're either too stupid to find it (here ya go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dada) or you don't even know what you really want.
>>
>>143324480
Closest ones I cam think of are when Wendy beats the tar out of Cartman and that short Fosters ep where a fight scenario seems to be resolved only for the guy to clock out Bloo at the very end much to the joy of the others
>>
>>143324481
Ben 10. So many human/alien/robo waifus and he chooses the shallow furry bitch
>>
>>143320279
>character is a female
>character is black
>>
>>143324768
>dead link
>>
>>143324481
Interesting =/= best suited towards being in a relationship with.
All of those kinds aren't "interesting", they're awful but kinky.
>>
>>143321566
>I want a show with absolutely zero tropes.
I got u senpai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_gFLWHE_Po
>>
File: 1607081692950.png (16 KB, 73x135)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>143324676
In my opinion, being an adult is still way better than being a kid so this shit even bothered me more because why the fuck would I want to keep being a kid?

>Have to pretty much work for free for 12 years of your life.
>If you do bad your boss (teacher) and parents treat you like shit.
>Tons of bullshit rules you have to follow
>Have to deal with people you fucking hate.
>No money.
>Your reward for being a good as a child is nothing.
>your reward for doing good in school is to be put in AP classes where you have to do more bullshit.
>Your reward for doing that well for 12 years is to now do it again for another 4+ years, only this time you have to pay for it yourself.

What is the fucking plus side of being a kid?
>>
>>143324904
>originally wrote f@m, changed to senpai
>Uploading files in incognito mode is not allowed.
When did this happen?
>>
>>143324989
Holy newfag.
>>
File: TheBigProblem.png (445 KB, 719x544)
445 KB
445 KB PNG
>>143324985
The reasons would be stuff like
>Your back aches all the time
>You can't eat whatever you want anymore
>You have to work at a job you hate
>You don't have as much time to "have fun"

I'm with you, I think being an adult is much better than being a kid. The reasons aren't wrong necessarily, but I feel like the writers are just venting and don't think about the good things they have. I worry some kid who's already scared of adulthood is gonna watch these, and it's just gonna confirm their fears. If anything, they should make episodes about the benefits of growing up.
>>
>>143325110
>newfag
Not sure about the senpai thing but not being able upload files incognito is new.
>>
File: silverbolt.png (208 KB, 459x594)
208 KB
208 KB PNG
>>143324872
>not converting them into ideal girlfriends with the power of heroic cock
NGMI
>>
>bad guy flunky goes to try and join the good guys
>one of the good guys doesn't trust them and basically harasses them constantly and just turns it into a self fulfilling issue and the guy goes back to being evil
>>
>>143325302
The wordfilters have been in place longer than Hiro. If you're only finding out about them now you're either very new or have just started using normie speak, either option is not a good look.
>>
>>143325249
>You can't eat whatever you want anymore
I can eat whatever I want. Don't give me that bull about it being bad for you or it makes you sick.
>You have to work at a job you hate.
You don't, and even if you hate your job you still get paid for it unlike school.
>You don't have as much time to "have fun"
You barely have as much time to have fun as a kid as well. All my teachers would assign bullshit for the holidays or worse you parents would put exra chorse on you. If you're lucky you had parents that don't give a shit but most kids their parents sign them up for bullshit summer activities.
>Your back aches all the time
nigga parents give their kids the WORST fucking bets ever. I have less back problems as an adult than from sleeping on that shitty brick my parents called a bed.
>>
>>143325367
>Thinking he can take the hoe out of whore
>>
>>143326320
But if you take the hoe out of the whore you get the wr
That's the world record
very desirable
>>
File: 744.jpg (29 KB, 338x600)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>143326436
You know what? Sure, anon. You win, enjoy your record.
>>
>>143321554
At some point it just kind of started to come off as misplaced pettiness and jealousy. It's less gratifying to watch and more second hand embarassment, though it can work.
>>
File: you-and-what-army.png (152 KB, 501x752)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
>>143320279
>You and what army?
>>
Is there a term for
>character has a complex personality
>forget aspects of it because it would interfere with the current plot
Not really flanderization, but more like "character was always a scared cat, but we want them to go on this adventure with the other cast, so at least for now they're conveniently not as scared with no real explanation"
>>
>>143326537
Yeah it's called bad writing
>>
>>143321637
Hey, it could be worse. Imagine that format except it extends to various episodes, where the crush it's finally paired with a character that looks like the writers created during a coffee break. And to put the icing on the cake a secondary character it's to blame for the protagonist never making it with his crush, because the writers wanted to pair him with said secondary character. *cough cough* Arnold relationship with Lila, with Helga sabotaging it *cough cough*
>>
>>143325596
I've known about the word filters and was here before Hiro, I just didn't know f@m was now a forbidden word.
>>
>>143327362
yeah and not ALL forbidden words are wordfiltered despite they're used more often.
>>
>>143327362
You must just not have tried to use it in the last 10 years then. Why did you start using nigger slang now?
>>
>>143326530
If they respond with:
>Me and this army.
They are based.
>>
>>143325386
Basically the Xiaolin Showdown episode where Jack Spicer joins the monks. And to put salt in the wound, the monks never apologize for mistreating him and Jack loses a duel for lying about the reason why he wanted to join in the first place
>>
>>143324481
you are just gay
>>
>>143327448
isn't usually a cut to half if not the whole cast including side characters just coming into picture in like 4 frames?
>>
>>143325249
>back aches
Only really occur if you're being retarded or have really shit luck
>can't eat whatever you want anymore
Err... you can, actually. The problem is that a lot of people learn the hard way that just because you *can* make your diet consist of pizza and candy doesn't mean that you *should*. Well, unless you're a masochist who wants to land yourself in the hospital repeatedly due to the health complications like one of my relatives.
>have to work at a job you hate
Technically, being a welfare NEET is an option, but you're not exactly going to be doing much in life with that choice. As for being a productive member of society, it's generally best if you go for a job that you *don't* outright hate. It doesn't have to be your passion, but going for something you can't stand won't end well.
>don't have as much time to "have fun"
Being in school ate up a lot of time as a kid, especially when you factor in the homework. Jfc, I remember teachers assigning way too much homework.
>>
>>143320279
>interesting thread
>no more activity
>>
>>143320279

>Unless there's a decent reason for it, when the villain doesn't just kill the hero when said hero is right there OR when the hero doesn't just stop the villain when the opportunity is right there and can be easily done (Like in Captain N).
>>
>>143324421
This is the only fictional character I've ever wanted to murder
>>
>>143320279
When the hero saves the villain only for the same villain to betray the hero. It's been done so many times and it's so predictable. Let the villain die for once
>>
>>143320279
>villain's plan makes no sense except 'they're evil'
either do the hard work of establishing them as petty enough to self sabotage or give them a brain and a motive that makes sense
>>
>>143320279
some of those aren't tropes but production issues
>girl power episode where a female character who had never felt off in helping somehow gets this and the rest of the cast lose braincells
>>
>>143324615
misunderstandings have been a thing outside dreamworks
ironically I think they did them really well, like in madagascar 3 and the bad guys
>>
>>143324480
tom and jerry had an ep
>>
>>143330966
>Villain in a precarious situation, about to die
>Hero tries to help save them
>Villain lashes out like a moron and seals their own fate
>Now the bad guy gets to die but the hero doesn't have to confront stopping them yaaay
I don't even hate every instance of it but it's cheap and overdone
>>
File: 1692004641115445.jpg (22 KB, 600x600)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>you saved my life and now I'm gonna follow you around literally everywhere until I can return the favor
>I won't leave you alone for even a second and I'll refuse to stop being a nuisance even if you, a person who saved my life, DIRECTLY ASK ME TO because of my retarded code of honor or something like that
>I'll keep doing that until you orchestrate an incident where I can save your life that will go wrong and actually put your life in danger, making me save you for real

Seriously, where the fuck does this dogshit premise even come from?
It feels like every single show did that exact shit back in the day and I've never seen anyone actually enjoy these kinds of episodes.
>>
File: 1708536650217630.jpg (138 KB, 540x810)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
Characters not FUCKING talking to each other when it would resolve everything
>>
>>143324444
This desu. This and that one Arthur episode really hit deep in my soul.
>>
>>143327460
>tfw we never got Dragon of Metal Jack
>>
Obligatory "character becomes buff/starts taking care of their physical well-being and becomes a gigantic jerk" post.
>>
>>143327362
>I just didn't know f@m was now a forbidden word.
>now
Try since 2010, onionsboy.
>>
>>143324985
Being ignorant of all the shit going on in the world.
Not having to pay for everything out of your own pocket.
Free bed and food.
>>
>>143320279
>> When network shows shows in seasonal rot era instead of golden era
Billy and Mandy. First season is gold, and then it gets worse and worse, and characters become parodies of themselves.
>>
>>143324676
This sort of thing unironically destroyed my life. My parents convinced me this shit was true, so given how miserable I was as a child, I assumed I'd end up killing myself (or someone else) before college, and avoided thinking about or preparing for the future at any cost. Imagine my surprise when I grew up and realized it was infinitely better than childhood. It's been half a lifetime and I still feel robbed.
>>
>>143324828
why do you hate women?
>>
>>143334027
people who hate their life will make life seem shitty to others because they dont want them to be happy
>>
>>143333762
Kamen Rider Faiz
>>
File: Funderberker.png (110 KB, 430x336)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
>>143321554
>>143326511
Agreed, those "reveals" almost always feel embarassing to watch. I am really grateful for the recent sort-of-trend of making these "secret bully" types just confident dorks that only the even dorkier protagonist would find threatening.

That being said, I don't mind it when they're just openly arrogant bastards. Spoiled princess-types are fun.
>>
>>143327423
>Why did you start using nigger slang now?
I just thought it was funny.
>>
File: GAJ5LQVWIAA66VF.jpg (103 KB, 1584x1077)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>Smart character makes an invention
>It has the potential to make the world a better place and help millions of people
>Something goes wrong and the episode is about getting things back to normal
>Rather than try to figure out what went wrong or try again in a more controlled setting, the invention is discarded/destroyed /kept in a vault/whatever
Even as a kid I hated this shit. Now as an adult I realize just how plain fucking evil it is. Like imagine how much shit we wouldn't have if after a mistake, people just abandoned an idea or project. Our ability to go to space would have died with the first dude to die trying to get up there.
>>
>alien species
>they all say stuff like "my species..." "our kind..." like everybody of that species knows everything about it while us humans barely know how we work
>>
>>143326265
>All my teachers would assign bullshit for the holidays
Anon you actually did it? I would half ass it or hide it somewhere.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.