[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 571927346.png (1.86 MB, 1080x1920)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB PNG
Storyboarder on Murder Drones is starting a new series about demons. Trailer just dropped.
https://youtu.be/wIiStrbPHp0?si=XZKwYSAmHY-Bv_Dc
>>
WOW DEMONS?!?! HELL?!?!
THIS IS SO HECKIN UNIQUE AND ORIGINAL WE ARE SO OWNING THE DUMB CH*ISTANS
>>
>>143317967
The poster didn't inspire a ton of confidence, but the production quality looks pretty good. Whatever I was expecting, it wasn't that.
>>
>>143317967
is this Glitch affiliated?
>>
>>143317967
Woah... Hell is actually... Fun and quirky!!!!!
>>
>>143317967
Good animation but it feels I’ve seen this trio like a hundred times before in indie animation. It’s like Ramshackle meets Helluva Boss, not really unique
>>
>>143318086
at least it's not a musical. I'll probably give it a watch if it ever happens.
>>
>>143318121
>at least it's not a musical
>yet
ftfy. Also, how do you know?
>>
File: 457567576.png (1.18 MB, 1132x633)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
is the creator a woman?
>>
File: 1700692292513617.jpg (64 KB, 900x900)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>Hell themed
Of course it is.
>>
>>143318140
what's the common thread between all the images aside from having female creators?
>>
>>143317967
Wowie, more anti-christian propaganda!
Let me guess, all the demons are uwu smol beans that dindu nuffin' wrong?
>>
>>143318229
on the other hand, the existence of demons reaffirms the God paradigm so that's a win
>>
>>143318205
Hell themed/setting
>>
>>143318349
Owl House isn't set in hell
>>
>>143318229
God isn't gonna suck your dick
>>
File: heathens portfolio.jpg (82 KB, 620x397)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
It's an impressive portfolio, they don't ask for that much and it's Australian dollars rather than US ones.
But it irks me that they call it "anime": It's not anime, you're not making it in Japan and the characters speak English. It's an action cartoon, embrace that shit.
>>
Can girls get better taste in fictional media so we can have better cartoons.
>>
>>143317967
>Great Value Helluva Boss
>>
>>143317967
>this is the fourth, count em, FOURTH independent pilot about demons/hell
Viv and her Consequences have been a disaster for Indy animation
>>
File: 1682970567650185.jpg (38 KB, 800x715)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>143317967
Took a quick gander at the Kickstarter page and my expectations are already at rock bottom from how unprofessional this is to read. Cool that the talented zoomers in this industry are making their dream animations come true, sure, but jesus christ
Also who in the flying fuck even supports Kickstarter projects in 2024?
>>
>>143318957
The slang is bad, but these are people with actual credits in the industry, not just a tumblr artist wanting to hit it big. The slang is probably their way to market themselves as "relatable" which isn't needed
>Also who in the flying fuck even supports Kickstarter projects in 2024?
The last two I supported got made, so....
>>
>>143318149
What does Hell have that make it appealing to feature as the setting
>>
>>143320219
it's just in the zeitgeist at the minute. like how adventure time clones used to be 'the thing'
>>
>>143320297
they're not even offended christcucks, which would be a respectable position. they're just contrarians who hate le woke menace
>>
>>143317967
Another one? Why is it always demons?

Also, fuck off and die, shill.
>>
File: screwtape-letters.jpg (63 KB, 600x852)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>writes a story about demons in hell

fuck this shit, write something new already.
demons are boring.
>>
>>143318957
Isn’t that basically how all indie productions are funded?
>>
>>143318957
I’ve supported projects I want to see get made. Isn’t that how it works? Animators either need to crowdfund, be independently rich, or get a network to pick it up.
>>
>>143318798
God owes me influencing and directing women to have sex with me, cry about it.
>>
>>143322000
And that prospect is hellish to them so they end up directing animations about hell
>>
It's getting tiring seeing how unserious a lot of the stories for these indie shows seem to be. Hunting hellhounds or vaugely looking for meaning in hell aren't particularly compelling desires, at least imo.

Maybe I'm getting too old, maybe these shows are targeting the YA crowd predominantly. Maybe that crowd prefers lighter stories, and this is a sign I need to start ditching animated shows in general.
>>
>>143322329
Because women don't understand what's good for them.
>>
>>143322354
I don’t know if the whole series is about hunting hellhounds or not. The description in the trailer says it’s the plot for their pilot which might mean its just a one-off.
>>
>le demons, le hell!
why is this so popular lately
>>
>>143322611

I think the pilot should still hold up on its own though. For example the premise for the pilots of TADC and Hazbin were still good on their own and inspired entire fandoms before needing to show their first season. 'Girl gets trapped in surreal game world by some unknown entity and tries to escape', and 'princess of hell tries to stop a yearly extermination of sinners' are both really strong, they set up a clear main character for people to empathize with as well as a compelling desire that drives the main narrative. From the premise alone you already want to know more before even seeing anything visual. They make you ask a lot of questions about the world's lore as well as create interesting ethical implications.
>>
>>143317967
>DUDE
>DEMONS
>LMAO
>>
File: 1712430344434.jpg (958 KB, 2048x2048)
958 KB
958 KB JPG
>>143318086
>Ramshackle
I didn't like that pilot that much but I'm starving to see more of her
>>
>>143317967
what song do they use in the background? Shazam is coming up dry.
>>
>>143323164
zeddy had mentioned that she would have tattoos if they weren't so difficult to track during animation and I'm all about that.
>>
>>143318957
They need to accumulate some money so they can hire a team of underpaid zoomers that'll do all of the work while the "creator" takes all of the credit and a large sum of the cash
>>
>>143317967
>DUDE DEMONS, LMAO
>>
>>143318205
Magical and supernatural elements. I think it's pretty well accepted that women prefer magic and fantasy to sci-fi, you see this pattern play out in the genres of film, tv, comics, games and books that they consume and create. Horror has also been associated with women since the early 1800s. None of the settings seem grounded because realistically, would there be an audience for that? There's the argument that if it's too grounded it shouldn't be animated, it should just be live action, people don't want animation for grounded settings/premises. These supernatural settings are probably also better for the purpose of creating fandoms who find the overall world interesting to explore in the context of fanart, fanfic, OCs, lore-speculation etc.

I wonder if Historic settings might have more appeal but it's probably a lot more work and research to get right.
>>
>>143323267
>Horror has also been associated with women since the early 1800s
I think we can thank Mary Shelley for that. Oddly enough, Frankenstein was lauded largely for her realistic approach to the horror genre. Instead of doing the typical "lmao, ghosts, right?", she actually attempted to go into the science of how Frankenstein created his monster.

>Historic settings might have more appeal but it's probably a lot more work and research to get right
yeah, I think you'd just be asking for some gaggle of uber-nerds to make it their lives' mission to tear you down because the stitching on the hemline of one character's outfit was anachronistic. It's probably easier to just side-step that whole thing and create a fantasy world.
>>
>>143320219
>>143320322
>>143320360
>>143322763
It's entirely possible these creators all had alternate ideas in alternate settings but they hopped on the Hell themed bandwagon because it was a 'proven success'.
>"People love Hell stuff, so I'll make something set in Hell too!"
I think the whole 'demon' thing also gives them more flexibility in creating 'memorable' designs.

Maybe you have an idea for something set in ancient Greece or 1970s Singapore or Alaska in the 1800s but what evidence do you have that the current audience of people who watch Western animation would be into any of that? You could end up wasting time on your pilot about an 1800s Alaskan goldminer murder mystery and it could be really well researched and have a great script and then it turns out nobody cares. Gripe all you want (I don't like it either) but it DOES look like there's a market for Hell-themed animation, people do want that.
>>
>>143323397
You're right about all of that unfortunately. It really does explain why the zeitgeist is the way it is. Even without the gaggle of uber nerds there is the possibility that the viewer simply won't care about all the work you do to present something accurately and I wouldn't be surprised if these little operations also give you a talent pool of people who don't really care either. Historic settings also entail things modern viewers might actively dislike. You might want to make a story that explores how the female characters try to exert influence despite social and legal barriers and the viewers get upset about how the women are treated and how they behave. Probably a lot of people watch things to unwind and relax after work and they want entertainment that caters to that need. Stuff like Heathens presents unrealistic conflicts that won't depress them.
>>
>>143323429
Hell/demons were also largely taboo until just recently. People in the 90's really thought that devil worshipers were actually a real thing, that they ritualistically killed babies, and that they indoctrinated people into their cult through dungeons and dragons. Meanwhile, nerds just wanted to go on fantasy quests to temporarily escape the bullying they endured in school.

People aren't as uppity about the whole hell/demon thing these days, so we see more shows using that setting. There are other settings that are used a lot more like outer space (Final Space, Scavengers Reign, Fired on Mars, Rick and Morty, Midnight Gospel, Futurama, The Second Best Hospital in the Galaxy, Strange Planet, etc), but that isn't noticed as much because we're used to seeing shows in that setting. So the double standard is that you can have a bunch of shows set in space (or in the living room of a family in a small town) and it goes unnoticed, but only 1 show gets to be set in hell and the other three are ripoffs.
>>
>>143317967
I hated the trailer.
>>
>>143323655
that's a really good point
>>
>>143323626
>Historic settings also entail things modern viewers might actively dislike
That, or it may be difficult for audiences to connect with. We know what happens after the story takes place, so the sense of nervousness or uncertainty about a situation is difficult to convey. We know how it ends. Struggles that were very real for that time period may seem trite now since it hasn't been an issue for ages.

It's kind of like how contemporary generations can never hear music like early rock and roll and understand what it was in context. We think of the leave it to beaver family and soda shoppes and smiling families barbecuing and 'golly gee, isn't that swell pops?', but that rinky dink 12 bar blues was SUPER controversial and would not have been deemed appropriate for any of those aforementioned scenarios. It's hard to look at a greaser from that era and take them seriously as a violent threat when they're listening to Tutti Frutti.
>>
>>143323166
Don't know, but it sounds kind of like black rebel motorcycle club?
>>
The trio doesn’t seem to be demons in any way outside of them having powers, and there’s a billion other possible explanations for that
>>
>>143320431
I'd watch a cartoon version of this.
>>
>>143320297
I mean yes, demons are a big part of there religion.
>>
>>143323919
Oddly enough, there's barely any mention of demons or Satan in the actual Bible. Christians just kind of make up their own fanfic and decide it's canon.
>>
>>143323785
I'm immediately drawn to disagreeing with your first statement but have to concede that you are right. I think historic settings are innately interesting so knowing 'what happens' isn't an issue but that could very well be how many people feel.
>>
File: D9xqdeQUwAAdLzw.jpg (546 KB, 2192x1696)
546 KB
546 KB JPG
>>143323655
Yeah but also hell isn't that interesting of a setting unless you take a lot of liberties with it. Personally I'm more of a culturally ambiguous underworld kinda guy.
>>
>>143323655
it doesn't help that all of these hell shows are so similar tonally where everyone is a wacky gay person who thinks saying "fuck" on it's own is funny, whereas each of those space shows you listed have extremely varied vibes. Rick and morty is nothing like the midnight gospel is nothing like futurama
>>
damn 400 views in 10 hours is rough
>>
>>143320297
No the entire point is how unoriginal and overdone this concept is in indie animation when they think they are unique and original
No one is “offended”, this is just the sixth or show of this very specific concept
>>
>>143324107
>hell isn't that interesting of a setting unless you take a lot of liberties with it
Same could be said for outer space. Nobody is watching a series set on the cramped-as-fuck ISS, and you'll rarely see an example of explorers landing on the moon or another planet without encountering some sort of life. Liberties are taken with ships and laser guns and aliens and crazy plants, etc.
>>
>>143324200
they're not doing a good job promoting it
>>
>>143324118
So you think Satina is similar to Hazbin?
>>
>>143318042
There's no indication this has anything to do with Glitch. I think it's a side project for someone who works there.
>>
>>143324118
> all of these hell shows are so similar tonally where everyone is a wacky gay person who thinks saying "fuck" on it's own is funny
That describes vivzie’s shows. Which other ones employ that archetype?
>>
>>143320219
It's their way of trying to make their future appear nicer and easier to cope with.
>>
File: IMG_2870.jpg (13 KB, 300x168)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
You want good animation about heroes and demons/gods which strange and malicious?
Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/@TalesofAlethrion

Then back the Kickstarter for Season 3
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofalethrion/tales-of-alethrion-season-3
>>
File: demons.jpg (109 KB, 700x644)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>143320219
My personal guess is (from experience, having a story set in hell when i was 12 lol) is that it's incredibly easy to design. Everything from the world, creature/character designs, etc. You don't need to do any research really, because demons can literally be anything and the hell setting itelf can be anything (suburbs, forest, classic/generic dark place full of fire, etc). It saves a lot of time and money since you don't have to read up on anything or take research trips.
So most people who use a hell setting/demon characters are usually lazy as shit. Notice how in this project the main characters are pretty human looking, the creatures are normalish looking animals with horns and some orange/red slapped on them. It's generic due to little to no research being done because that takes time and money AND requires you to actually care.
>>
File: 1667483037927.png (626 KB, 1280x1609)
626 KB
626 KB PNG
>>143323182
A couple of little tatoos would look nice but she's perfect the way she is.
>>
>>143318849
>Hazbin
>Helluva
>Satina
>Dead End
>Little Demon
>Farfetched
>this

That’s at least 6 Hell/demon-related shows/pilots the past few years.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.