[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240425_141811.jpg (2.53 MB, 4032x1816)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
Can an experienced cook please explain to me why my last batch of home made nuggets look like this and make me queasy?
>>
File: 20240425_141753.jpg (2.58 MB, 4032x1816)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
This is what's left of the first batch, for reference.
>>
>>20433183
>>20433186
were these both from the same cooking session? how old was the oil? did you fry it in a deep fryer or a pan/pot?
>>
>>20433196
I fried it in a wok with an inch of supafry (mixed animal fat) I did 3 batches of ~6. This was the only cooking session with that fat. I turned it down after the first batch, could that have caused them to spend too long on the heat?
>>
>>20433214
I feel like a combination of the previous batches dredge/flour burning after falling off and the fact you fried it at a lower temp for longer. Its honestly best to deep fry in the wok so it should be quite a bit of oil. Deep oil keeps the extra burnt gunk on the bottom, instead of the meat
>>
>>20433225
I hear ya, everything was on the bottom. I tried scooping out leftover batter between batches but there was too much fine stuff, I guess I need to spend longer shaking excess batter off, use enough fat to float the food and don't turn it down. Right?
>>
>>20433285
in a way youre right. coat it in flour, shake off the excess, and let it sit on a wire rack for 10 - 15 min at room temp before you fry. it will adhere the flour to the chicken so it wont slump. if youre using a beer/wet batter just place on a plate and let sit a minute.
>>
>>20433295
Batter was flour egg & milk. Thanks for the advice bruv
>>
>>20433344
nice dubs, enjoy your next batch and my rec is get a dedicated deep fryer. worth the money.
>>
>>20433183
Do you have a thermometer to measure the oil temperature? It helps a lot as the ideal frying temp is 350-375F. Looks like maybe you started frying at the right temp but then the oil got too hot.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.