[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1684019682227158.jpg (1.85 MB, 3000x2250)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB JPG
Do you dip the sashimi or the rice into the soy sauce when you're eating sushi?
>>
>>20430523
i don't dip it, i put a few drops of soy sauce onto the plate and put the rice on top of it so it soaks in
>>
>>20430523
>dip
Plebeian.
>>20430579
Still doing it wrong. You put the sushis into a bowl of soy sauce and leave them there until they've soaked up enough soy sauce that the sushis are noticeably heavier. That's how the samurais and samas do it
>>
>>20430581
>You put the sushis into a bowl of soy sauce and leave them there until they've soaked up enough soy sauce that the sushis are noticeably heavier.
well that's the thing, i don't have a bowl. i always have extra soy sauce left over, so my method now is to have a bottle of soy sauce and progressively use it by pouring it over the makis, or setting the nigiri on top of a puddle of it
>>
>>20430585
I can see that but it still brings dishonour to your family. No samurai would live without bowls. That's why burrito bowls exist, named after ancient samurai burrito code which is mostly about proper use of bowls.
>>
How to Eat Sushi: You've Been Doing it Wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auLmekEsaak
>>
>>20430601
>English language video
Guffaw.
Post one in nipponese and MAYBE I'll watch it.
>>
>>20430610
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDL8yu34fz0
Entirely in nipponese (with subtitres, which is nipponese for 'subtitles') po angielski (West nipponese language, Porish, for "in English").
Is very informative!
>>
>>20430523
>Do you dip the sashimi or the rice into the soy sauce when you're eating sushi?
Sushi is supposed to be fully seasoned when served to you. You should get all the flavor you want from the bite, in other words. Should be a little vinegar in the rice, as well as salt and sugar. Flavor in the nori, too. An occasional literal drop of soy is all you'll need with your beer.
So, trial and error, try it both ways anon, you'll soon get your preferences straight, or you'll realize you don't want your rice falling apart.
>>
>>20430646
t. American cowboy (not samurai)
>>
>>20430523
actually I prefer to dip my soy sauce into the sushi, the real nippon way.
>>
File: 1713100701585237.webm (3.62 MB, 1280x720)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB WEBM
>>20430523
allow me to inform you
>>
>>20430523
Yes. That's what it's there for. Unless you're eating at fucking Jiro's, the sushi doesn't come "perfectly seasoned", which is obviously the case in the OP pic.
>>
>>20430848
We really need genetic screening for autism already. Solve the problem in the womb.
>>
>>20430848
Damn, I have been wasting time trying to learn how to use chopsticks. Apparently you just grab the food with your hands.
>>
Eating Japanese sushi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaj4vf2QFaE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag4ZlId0ymI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbY5HCaUuqQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h76m2frA98&list=PLDtARzDhPZvVqkttMK2y7DV9xCTag6hiW&index=2
>>
>>20430523
There is no sashimi on this plate, you're eating nigiri, but to answer your question, the "correct" way is to dip the fish into the soy sauce as to not compromise the texture of the rice and to not overpower the fish flavor.
>>
>>20431122
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OthEXCYeYT0
>>
>>20430848
based
>>20431068
cringe
>>
>>20431129
Sashimi is an ingredient in nigiri. You might as well say "there's no rice on that plate"
>>
>>20430523
>>20431129
Like this guy said, grab the sushi with your hands (or chopsticks if you want), flip upside down and dip just the fish in the soy sauce. then eat in one bite. Source is my nitpicky japanese wife
>>
>>20430523
No because soy sauce tastes like shit.
There I said it.
>>
No soy sauce, wasabi or ginger for me I actually enjoy the taste of the fish and like to appreciate the quality of the food unlike most people here.
If it's some shitty cheap gas station sushi maybe ill use a small amount of soy sauce.
>>
I would dip, but it usually falls off the fork so now I just take a little sip out of the soya sauce like a chaser
>>
> Fill the bowl up to the top with soy sauce
> Put wasabi in the soy sauce
> Use my hands to pick up the sushi
> Dip the sushi into the bowl, spilling the soy sauce and wasabi mixture onto the table
> Enjoy
>>
If the sushi place doesn't have soy sauce and wasabi applied by the chef unbetween the rice and the fish, I don't eat there.
>>
>>20431621
I hate people like you. I used to work with a guy who always ordered food with no seasoning - including salt. He always said he just likes the taste of the food itself. That's fuckin retarded. Salt doesn't cover up the taste of the food, it brings it out.
>>
>>20430523
submerge entirely
let it soak several seconds
>>
>>20431068
Assholes disturbing the ambience at nice restaurants are worse than people who wish the ambience wasn't being disturbed.
>>
>>20431662
Unless he's shitting in your mouth while saying 'i prefer my food unsalted, can you tell?' I don't see how his preference makes him an asshole nor why you give a fuck about how some dude eats his food.
Why are you obsessed with this former coworker and how said coworker eats his food?
You come across as unhinged.
You sound like you should be on a watchlist.
>>
>>20431702
When someone is smug about having a wrong opinion I will always call them out on it. You sound like a picky eater. Nobody but widdle babi picky eaters gets this upset about someone judging other people for their eating habits.
>>
>>20431713
>picky eater
0 for 2. I'm literally the least picky eater on earth. There's only one vegetable I won't eat and it's uncommon in any cuisine besides continental SEA. I even eat things I don't particularly care. You, however, sound like a child screaming "stop liking what I don't like!" at people. Stop that.
>>
>>20431727
>like a child screaming "stop liking what I don't like!"
I was a chef for 10 years. It's not about what I like and don't like. I just fundamentally reject the idea that salt covers up the flavor of the ingredients. That's not how it works. That's not how anything works.
>>
>>20431736
>I just fundamentally reject the idea that salt covers up the flavor of the ingredients
And I agree with that statement. I still don't give a halfpenny shit how someone else eats his food, even if I'm the one cooking it.
>>
>>20431736
People who have too much salt think it brings out the flavor because their palate is expecting salt and misses its absence. Go a few weeks with minimal salt and start tasting food again
>>
>>20431749
You're thinking of sugar. Salt doesn't work that way. Old people oversalt their food because they're dying, and their tastebuds and dying. Eating overly-salty food doesn't lower your tolerance to salt.
>>
>>20431662
Different foods have different traditional levels of extra flavoring. Declining to put extra shit on your sushi isn't like declining to put extra shit on your hot dog, there are non-autistic reasons to want the full experience.
>>
>>20431760
Yes it does, as evidenced by you faling to realize that all restaurant food has too much salt.
>>
>>20431077
Nigiri (fish on top of rice), and Maki (rolls) are usually eaten with the fingers. Sashimi (the cut strips of fish with no rice or wrapping) should be eaten with the chopsticks.
>>
Dip your fingers in the sauce and flick it at the sushi
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (102 KB, 1276x721)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>20430646
>Sushi is supposed to be fully seasoned when served to you.
>>
File: UAAapNM.jpg (371 KB, 1402x1168)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
>>
>>20430848
>mmm yummy, i love sushi
>>
>>20431640
>unbetween
You sure is some kinda classy highfallutin city dude

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.