[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm new to this and have tried it about 3 times now. After Day 2, there's a significant amount of doubling. Around Day 4, even after daily feedings, I don't get doubling anymore. I do get a small amount of hooch and it smells really good, but after a certain point it just doesn't seem to double anymore. There is still some small bubbling and the starter seems somewhat aerated. Is this normal for sourdough starters? I'm doing a 100% AP starter.
>>
>>20410265
Don't feed it every day unless you want it to grow exponentially every day. Personally, I mix it with my dough the day before I wanna make bread, that way the yeast can reactivate overnight. You wanna use nearly everything in the jar, because the yeast will repopulate itself just from the little bits that are left inside afterwards. Don’t be sparing with it
>>
>>20410430
Is my starter done though? I thought it was supposed to double every time you fed it. After the first few days, it doesn't double anymore. It is active, though.
>>
>>20410265
>>20411732
Just keep at it and it should start back up up after another couple of days. The initial activity of the first two days is mostly due to non target yeast species that are selected out after two days. Meanwhile, the desirable species take a few more days to become reliably active but once they are, they will remain so. It also helps to be sure you use unbleached flour and dechlorinated water (either filtered and/or boiled, depending on your source).
>>
Good thread OP. However, it's missing some important information which is crucial to mastering breadmaking and it's typical of people here to gatekeep the best techniques.
First of all, you need to understand what underpins the traditional methods of baking bread and for this we need to go back into prehistory. It shouldn't be regarded as antiquated though; this history is long but it is only recently that we have abandoned the traditional techniques in favour of convenience and mass production; something we do at our peril of coure.
Most people don't utilize the secret ingredient that historically was essential, absolutely essential, to making nutritious bread with a complex flavour and good texture. Of course you need a good starter, but don't be falling for the meme of flour and water and "wild yeast" (lol). Historically, women would make bread with the same (unwashed) hands that would have previously been itching at their vaginas due to yeast infections being endemic to previous generations. The "wild yeast" that used to colonize dough before the advent of industrialization and the enslavement of yeast in small packages would have come from this source. It is what separates real traditional bread from the sloppy, pasty wonderbread garbage you get in supermarkets and all the "artisnal" breads that try to find the middle ground between traditional and modern techniques.

I suggest getting ahold of the creamy exudate from the vagina of your oldest female family member and begin from there. You won't need much as it's rather powerful and surely your grandmother will be thrilled to see you reviving the techniques that created the modern world.
>>
>>20413418
What is wrong with you?
>>
>>20413485
??????
Are you upset with me for sharing ancient techniques? I don't believe in gatekeeping, sorry. I think our human heritage should be shared with everyone and if you don't think that then I'm sorry. Or do you not believe me? If that's the case I invite you to scrape your granny's vagina of her starter and use it in your own bread, just try not to choke when you come back to suck my dick and tell me how good it was, faggot.
>>
>>20413491
Food and cooking. Not food and threats of sexual violence
>>
>>20413497
This is even more retarded than your last reply. What the fuck are you talking about?
Last time I checked, bread is food which is created through a mixture of ingredients followed by application of heat, something that people who don't sit mouth agape and drooling when presented with simple concepts could tell you is called "cooking"
Now maybe you're confused because the bread YOU make could only ever be classified as food in a sick and commodified era such as the one we live in, but I'm here to tell you that what you're making is garbage if it doesn't include the wild yeasts of a human female suffering from a yeast infection. As for "threats of sexual violence", you had it coming. Why do you people try so hard to dispossess people of the ancestral knowledge which can be gained by consuming granny's special starter? What about that gets you off? Jesus christ.
>>
>>20410265
Just keep feeding it daily. It'll take at least a couple weeks to really stabilize
>>20410430
That's why you discard half before feeding
>>
>>20413520
Bro I'm not gay I don't want to play with your penis
>>
>>20413551
This is a bread about thread please pay attention and contribute meaninfully.
>>
>>20410265
Just continue. You can try to change the flour if you want (rye and/or whole flour seems o work well)

Great now we have a fucking autist shitting up every bread thread with his retarded fetishes.
I would say to avoid feeding the troll, but clearly it's too late now...
>>
>>20413740
I find people like you fascinating, honestly. I'm here trying to put people onto a particular technique and I get constant pushback from people like this mf. I'd understand if I was suggesting something experimental or dangerous, but I'm literally just laying out the truth about how bread was made historically and you act like I told dude to stick dynamite in his dough. What has got you so bothered?
>>
>Around Day 4, even after daily feedings,
you shouldn't feed it unless it doubles

>I'm doing a 100% AP starter.
rye or whole wheat would be better, ap has most of the natural yeast removed.

>>20411732
>I thought it was supposed to double every time you fed it.
it doubles when it doubles
>>
>>20414186
>ap has most of the natural yeast removed
Unfortunately this has outed you as a big retard
>>
Starter doubled and was beautifully bubbly after day 1 (used whole wheat and water for the initial starter). took 75g of that and added whole wheat, all purpose and water for the second feeding. Fucking forgot about it, so the third feeding happened 28 hours after the second, and the goddamn starter was runny as shit and didn't double. Took 75g of that and added whole wheat and all purpose and water, same ratios as day 2.

I will observe how it behave within the next 10 hours. Jewgle says the starte is hungry and i should increase the frequency of the feedings. Me personally, I think the goddamn all purpose flour is ruining my starter since the very first batch was bubbly and doubled in volume and only contained whole wheat.

what do? should i scratch and repeat?
>>
>>20415130
Runny starter means your water:flour ratio is too high. Try 75g:100g next time, and repeat each time you feed until your starter maintains a consistency like pancake batter. Then, revert back to a 1:1 of 75g. You're just correcting an imbalance of hydration in your starter.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.