[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: austin-1484172784-800.jpg (30 KB, 576x333)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
I've read that the infamous Austin turn in 2001 was decided by himself because he tought his character was getting "stale", but how did reached that conclusion? Every time his theme started the arena basically collapsed by the massive pop, and the pops somehow grow more and more as Wrestlemania 17 approached. Seems such an idiotic idea to turn heel the biggest and still most over face in history of professional wrestling
>>
people were getting sick of Austin by late 2000. he was smart enough to realize what Hogan didn't, that you need to be flexible and dynamic. he then shits all over this idea by aligning himself with his nemesis for the last three years
>>
>>12965130
>people were getting sick of Austin by late 2000.
I recently watched some late 2000 Raw's (during the first Angle reign) and he still easily had the strongest pops, on par with Rock. And when they faced each other at Wrestlemania Rock was almost booed out of the arena. I dont really see where this common idea of "crowds rejecting Austin in 2000" came from
>>
>>12965107
It was retarded and he was wrong. He was coming off an injury or whatever so the fans were nowhere near tired of him and he was not stale at all, especially for kids like me who had been watching WCW until around 99. The heel turn was retarded and I thought Vince turned face at first, then when I figured out they were for real it was just surreal. This, Rikishi being the driver of the limo, DX breaking up and Road Dogg disappearing, and then finally the WCW invasion was all more than enough slop for me to bail on the shop and grow up.
>>
>>12965107
He should have just retired instead of turning heel
>>
>>12965177
shit doesn't happen in a vacuum, bro. like watch some Hogan matches during 1991 and you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. I didn't saw the crowds were outright rejecting them, either. those are your words, homie.
>>
>>12965206
I get that Hogan from the 1990 was slowly losing pops, but he really started to receive some boos only from 1993 onwards, after what, eight years of almost uninterruped title runs and exposition?
Austin instead in 2001 was a top guy since barely three years, and was out for basically one of them. I cant get he wanted to avoid the slow degrade in popularity Hogan's had, but he wasnt event remotely close to that point in 2001. Seemed like an irrationaly fear for me
>>
>>12965296
I don't think you're wrong in that they pulled the trigger way too early, he still had a long way to go as a face. Probably a few years if he hadn't retired. I think that irrational fear probably came from the crash tv booking and they were worried since fans were conditioned to that they might turn on Austin? I dunno bro, theres a reason I couldn't cut it as a booker
>>
>>12965296
>i cant get
*i can get
>>
Austin turning heel was an honest mistake. Austin turning face during the Invasion to a monster pop then turning heel again a week later was moronic.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.