[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1612789662691.png (1.47 MB, 1405x739)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
Monday Night Wars fags btfo, Cornette knows that what people wanted was the WWF vs late 80s NWA.
>>
>>12936014
It doesn't set up the decline of the business by having HHH win the world title in the main event so it's already better than the real WM18. They could do matches like Rock vs Hogan, Taker vs Sting in the next Mania so it's even better long term.
>>
>>12936014

This was one of the greatest examples ever of what a fucking clueless blowhard Corny actually is once you stop him from ranting and have him actually try to do something constructive. That card and the lead up booking is right up there with some of the worst shit Russo booked. In fact Russo fantasy booked this too and his version was far better.
>>
>>12936071
No.
>>
Underrated aspect of the card: no RVD or Rhyno or any other ECW talent on the main card, except Jerry Lynn and Nova.
>>
>>12936071
>Russo fantasy booked this too
where
>>
>>12936014
>>12936014
The card isn't bad for maybe 1992, but by WrestleMania 2002 standards it's shit, especially when he booked finishes like the Road Warriors going over the Dudleys.
>>
- Have Taker + Sting on same card, but have Taker wrestle a tiny broken down old man that nobody gave a fuck about since the 80s instead,

- Have Rock + Hogan on the same card, but instead of the obvious logical move of putting them against each other in the main event, have Hogan wrestle fat old fuck Dusty who again nobody has given a shit about since the 80s.

- Austin/Foley as main event when A) its not WM main event worthy circa 2001 and B) Foley hadnt been in WCW for almost a decade.

- For some reason Flair, an actual wrestler, needs to team up with Bischoff to fight Vince in a handicap match.

- 14 matches on the card, pre network/2 day WM era.

Cant remember for sure now but ive got a feeling the hypocrite fuck was talking about implementing worked shoots into the build up too. Like having rival factions stiff each other in the ring and then the announcers emphasizing that it was real unlike the other shit they were watching. Ironic, thought he hated that.
>>
>>12936113
Russo's was more about booking TV around the angle rather than a Mania blow-off. He had the NWO invading the WWF, then McMahon hiring Bischoff to take the NWO out, then Bischoff bringing in the "WCW guys" to help him, then - swerve bro - all the WCW guys turn out to be on the NWO's side.
>>
>>12936117
The point is that it was to draw all the people in who either gave up on WWF or never came over from WCW, JCP, etc... The guys he is throwing in there are huge with people who don't usually come to WWF shows, and promoting that as a big event would hopefully grow the audience, whereas doing the same old WWF shit even after the Invasion led to WWE dropping in ratings every year, and it wasn't just a question of 'good booking', because even during the best years of WWF many fans still didn't give a fuk.
>>
>>12936129
>You should put all the biggest matches on the same card and hotshot everything, like WWF already shot themselves in the foot doing, then you should still go ahead and book the standard modern WWF WCW that proved to not improve the plummeting ratings
k
>>
>>12936138
>and promoting that as a big event would hopefully grow the audience, whereas doing the same old WWF shit even after the Invasion led to WWE dropping in ratings every year,
Because Nova, Jerry Lynn, Chris Candido, Lance Storm totally aren't guys Cornette just placed on a card because he likes them and would've brought ratings up and enlarged the fanbase for sure.
>>
>>12936166
>noooooooooooooooooooo you can't just have a midcard
>>
>>12936157

There is no defending that card, why even try?
>>
>>12936170
Yes, you should totally toss aside a midcard that was standard in 2002 in favor of a midcard that one guy likes. Can we also point how nonsensical it is to have ECW guys represent WCW.
>>
>>12936014
>Foley
>Funk
>Dusty
>Flair/Bischoff
Wow what a fucking dumb hillybilly cuckold retard
>>
Between this and his ROH bookerman stint I'm starting to believe he's really not as smart as he says he is hottubbros...
>>
>>12936138

There were no lapsed WWF fans in any significant number at that point. It was during a fucking boom period where business was hotter than ever. And Corny is trying to cater to...who exactly? how many boomer hicks were going to tune into "wrasslin" for the first time since the JCP days just because almost 60 year old versions of Dusty and Funk were on there? at that point a lot of the ECW guys that Corny neglected to feature were bigger names than Dusty and Funk lol.
>>
>>12936014
why did he book Foley as a WCW guy when the guy caught his biggest breaks in ECW and WWF?
>>
>>12936014
Damn this card is dimes
>>
>>12936109
ECW is outlaw mudshow bullshit
>>
>>12936531
Because him and Sullivan booked him in WCW so that's how he always remembers Mick. It's ridiculous.
>>
>>12936130
>Vince brings out the guy who was funding the original NWO to stop the new NWO
That's fucking retarded and no one near Vince would let him look stupid if he didn't know that himself.
>>
>>12936911
And it outlasted SMW by most of a decade
>>
>>12936109
The original invasion wasn't gonna have ECW either tbf
>>
Honestly, getting that far on a ruined idea is a waste of time. Invasion should've been headlined with Austin vs Goldberg. Any fantasy that doesn't have that is an objectively wrong one.
>>
>>12936014
and the entire build is worked shoots
>>
I don't know why anyone ever listened to anything this cuck has to say
>>
>>12936157
You don't have to hotshot anything to come up with a better card than this. Just mixing and matching combinations of Austin/Rock/Carder vs Hogan/Goldberg/Sting should give you 3 years worth of Manias at least.
>>
>>12936014
No matter how many times I see it, Undertaker v Funknon this card still works me into a seething shoot.

What an absolutely brain-dead idea, in fucking 2002, when Funk is old and Taker is currently.coming off two years of shitty in-ring work. How the fuck does he expect that match to go? It'd just be slow men just punch kicking til taker gently tombstones Terry 10 minutes in. At least Russo's Trojan horse idea is cool sounding (although it falls apart when you think about it for more than two seconds)
>>
>>12936071

Yes. Imagine not doing Hogan vs Austin or Hogan vs Rock or Austin vs Goldberg.
>>
>>12936014
Corny bros... i thought he was a good booker?
>>
>>12936014
I remember when some madlad had the whole video up on youtube. I enjoyed it. Favorite thing was the Undertaker vs Terry Funk at WrestleMania.
>>
>>12937599
Austin didn't want to wrestle Hogan.
>>
>>12937224
I bet you were born in 2002
>>
>>12938357
He is. It's just the hot thing nowadays to make fun of Cornette for a variety of reasons. You have to get over with the /asp/ audience. So making fun of Cornette is the way many see to do it. To get over and draw some dimes in their threads.

As Jerry The King Lawler used to say. The fans are fickle and will turn on you in a heart beat.
>>
File: 1592533872215.jpg (171 KB, 1008x1036)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>12938477
>He is
Okay, cuck
>>
>>12938507
>buzzword

There you go kid. That'll get you over around these parts.
>>
>>12938531
>calls a word that has been around for hundreds of years a buzzword
You are so mad!
>>
>>12938685
Trying to get over by using me kid? I don't sell for jobbers.
>>
>>12936129
Cornette loves worked shoots, it's weird because Russo believes there's no possible way anyone can invest in kayfabe anymore so he disregards it completely while Cornette wants to adhere purely to kayfabe because he believes he can make people believe again.

Both lead to the same road of a bunch of worked shoot bullshit the """casual""" fan is going to disregard as fake bullshit regardless.
>>
>>12936911

By 2002 ECWs top names were bigger stars than the middle aged 70/80s shitters Corny was trying to shoerhorn into major WM matches.
>>
>>12938469
>I bet you're an adult
Of course I am. Anyone with a fully developed brain knows Biker Taker v Old Man Funk in 2002 would be shite.
>>
>>12939122
Stars to spot monkeys like you.
>>
>>12939159
If you actually knew what you were talking about then you would know Cornette would've booked Biker Taker to go away and Undertaker would return as more of his old self. Next time do some research before you run your dick licker, son.
>>
>>12939122
Cornette specifically says in the video that the guys on the undercard are the ones he wants to build up, and he's trying to get these matches out of the upper card talent before they leave, which most were on their way out by this point.
>>
>>12936467
A significant amount of fans immediately left after the WWF botched this angle. Maybe appealing to the wider array of fans and doing this invasion justice would've prevented that.
>>
>>12939237
NOOOOO HE'S AN OLD BOOMER WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE BUSINESS! HE CAN'T BOOK! NOOOOOO
>>
>>12939262
WCW fans weren't going to cross over to come watch Funk and Dusty have matches. The majority of their fanbase were huge NWO marks.
>>
>>12939292
The NWO is one of the reasons WCW died. That and Eric Bitchoff.
>>
>>12939262
I haven't watched American wrestling since WCW went under. I'd only watch a McMahon product under extreme situations
>>
>>12936130
> nWo invades WWF
Glad I'm not the only one who realizes that that would have made way more sense as an angle.

> Get Bischoff to help
That part would not have made sense though.
>>
Why did Vince rush into this? He could’ve waited an extra 1-2 years for all the big names to come in
>>
This looks unironically based
>>
>>12936130
>then Bischoff bringing in the "WCW guys" to help him, then - swerve bro - all the WCW guys turn out to be on the NWO's side.
Man Russo really has never watched wrestling.
It was nWo vs WCW the whole time in the late 90s.
>>
>>12936113
https://blogofdoom.com/index.php/2015/08/20/kayfabe-commentaries-guest-booker-series-re-booking-the-wcw-invasion-with-vince-russo/

its fucking awesome, would have made a zillion dollars don't listen to the Cornette fags
>>
>>12940403
>IT'S VINCE RUSSO
>WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING HERE?

Go away Russo. Cornette might be a libtard anti gun fucking idiot but you're a stain on wrestling history. I'm surprised Owen's widow never strung you up from a tree.
>>
>>12939794
He probably wanted to bury 99.8% of WCW talents.
>>
>>12936014
Anybody know where I can watch this?
>>
>>12940403
>Oliver then asks Russo about a midcard WWE guy and WCW guy who he could have elevated and thought they deserved a better spot. Russo talks about how a lot of names jump out and the one WCW guy he would give a job to is Lex Luger
>>
>>12939292
wrong zoomer
>>
>>12940494
And to think people still support Russo.
>>
>>12938477
>He is.
lol no he isn't. His time as booker for ROH is proof he had no idea how to book non-boomer wrestling.
>>
>>12936014

This is so horrifically bad it's hilarious. Some really obvious matches are right there.

>Austin-Hogan
>Undertaker-Sting
>Rock-Flair
>Vince-Bischoff
>>
>>12940655
Keep trying there kid. You'll be a draw in your own thread one day.
>>
>>12940690
>Blow your load with Undertaker vs Sting from the get go.
>>
>>12939317
That doesn't change what that anon said. The vast majority of WCW fans were NWO marks who only watched for NWO bullshit. They wouldn't have given a fuck about Dusty or Funk who were completely irrelevant by that point.
>>
>>12940709

This is Wrestlemania 18 you dumb bastard
>>
>>12940718
That doesn't change what that anon said.
>>
>>12940692
anon, literally everyone is in agreement that Corncuck's time as ROH booker was bad. Yes he netted them a TV deal, but he clearly had no idea what he was doing booking wise.
>>
>>12940711
>Completely irrelevant
Sure kid.
>>
How do you book Hogan on the WCW side without him getting cheers?
>>
>>12940735
>Literally everyone
Appealing for some back up jobber? I don't agree with the statement saying Cornette's time as ROH's booker was bad. He was also booking with Delirious iirc.

Cornette wanted to treat it seriously and not have a 5'2" lumberjack doing moonsaults all around the ring. How dare Cornette want to have the business he group up with and loved be treated seriously and not as a damn joke.
>>
>>12940748
>this retard thinks Dusty wrestling Funk for the one millionth time in 2002 would have drawn super dimes
lol sure, princess.
>>
>>12940754
At that point he'd probably get cheers and boos. Like his match with Rock.
>>
>>12940764
Cornball booking ROH as a "serious" promotion (especially that era) is the equivalent of trying to book WWE as a shoot style promotion.
>>
>>12940764
>Cornette wanted to treat it seriously and not have a 5'2" lumberjack doing moonsaults all around the ring.
Wait, it was him that killed Grizzly Redwood's push? Fuck Cornette forever.
>>
>>12940775
>Two legends wouldn't have drawn at a time when there were adults who remembered them from when they were younger.

I guess Shawn Michaels and Hulk Hogan didn't draw at Summerslam even though Shawn was being his usual little bitch self.

Like I said kid. Keep it up and I'm sure you'll get some dimes shitposting about Corny here on /asp/ it's all the rage these days.
>>
>>12940788
Yeah and look at how well ROH has done since. Truly a master class.

>>12940808
I don't know if he specifically did but he did say something along the lines of "Grizz is a nice young man but we were trying to do something different and he didn't fit the image"

I think it was in his interview with Oliver about his time in RoH. I'd link you a.. link if I had one.
>>
>>12940817
>I guess Shawn Michaels and Hulk Hogan didn't draw at Summerslam even though Shawn was being his usual little bitch self.
They were still RELEVANT, you absolute fucking moron. Neither Funk nor Dusty were relevant AT ALL in the ring by that point. And you have absolutely zero proof they would have drawn anything except snores. Please offer some sorta evidence that a Dusty vs. Funk match in 2002 (lol) would have drawn dimes besides HURR THEY WERE POPULAR 15 YEARS AGO.
>>
>>12940838
>Yeah and look at how well ROH has done since. Truly a master class.
They were shit before Corncuck became booker, they were shit when he was a booker, and they were shit after he left. The point being Cornball is not this amazing booker you think he is and his time at ROH is proof of that.
>>
>>12940843
>Dusty vs Funk
I'm sorry but where does it say Dusty vs Funk in OP's image? Check your eyesight anon.

Also read the thread. Cornette was going off a 'last ride for the old talent who were moving away from the business' the under card, which is not fully shown in OP's image, was built with young talent about to make that leap to the top.

Someone's mad lmao
>>
>>12940851
I disagree but we all have our opinions.
>>
>>12940864
So you agree then that Dusty vs. Funk in 2002 wouldn't have drawn shit? About time.
>>
>>12940891
I'm sorry but you are the only one talking about Dusty vs Funk in 2002, anon and would it have drawn? Maybe. In the right area. Now with that out of the way you can pat yourself on the back for winning an argument that only you were trying to make. :)
>>
>>12936014
>undertaker vs funk
jesus christ
>>
>>12940875
It's not opinion, anon; it's fact. SMW with Corny as the booker drew no dimes, ROH with Corny as the booker drew no dimes (aside from maybe the TV deal which had nothing to do with the booking), OVW with Corny as the booker drew no dimes. And I'm being literal as in none of those promotions made any money from the booking under Cornball's tenure. SMW was in the red the entire time, ROH didn't improve at all, and OVW was subsidized by WWE.
>>
>>12940929
>It's not an opinion anon!
>it's fact!
Your opinions are not facts anon. Sorry that your parents never told you that your opinions aren't facts. :(

>>12940925
It's easy to just see it in the picture and dismiss it but having heard his rational behind it when some jewtuber had uploaded the full thing(sadly has been copyright struck to oblivion and is gone) I could see people liking it.

"The last ride of the old cowboy" As Cornette called it. Plus it wasn't all that long ago that Funk was teamed up with Foley so its not like a newer audience didn't know who the hell he was.
>>
>>12940951
Agreed. A lot of these people seem to not realize that there was build up to all of these matches. It's not like they are just random matches happening for the sake of having a match. But hating Corny is popular these days. Maybe he deserves it. I stopped listening after his TDS went into overdrive.
When Cornette talks politics he is whistling stranger in paradise.
>>
I’ve watched the video where he stared shy each match should happen, and none of them make sense, especially Austin vs. Foley. Rock Vs. Sting due to Icon Vs. Icon could be great, but the money match is Taker vs. Sting by a long shot. Austin/Hogan also should of happened. Rock Vs. DDP was another dream match that he didn’t even mention.
>>
>>12940993
Stone Cold did not want to work with Hulk Hogan in a match. That is why it didn't happen. There you go.
>>
>>12936014
Here, I’ll book a better card in 3 fucking matches.
>Taker vs Sting
>Austin vs Goldberg
>Rock vs Hogan
Bam, the main fucking attractions all done in THREE FUCKING MATCHES.
>>
>>12941029
The video was about booking the WWF/WCW matches with no limits, no politics involved, etc.
>>
>>12940690
Austin/Foley will never stop confusing me.
>Book a late 90s WWF feud in a deam WWF vs WCW card
>>
>>12940690
>>12941050
Pretty much these.
>>
>>12941081
Yeah his reasoning for this is even more odd. Foley even in WCW didn’t do anything significant. Most of his memorable matches were at hardcore places and WWF.
>>
>>12940864

But it's WRESTLEMANIA. You're supposed to draw big numbers and a lot of viewers for Wrestlemania, the biggest show of the year, especially because WWE was losing new Attitude Era fans for a while by the time of this hypothetical card.

None of those matches would've excited anyone but a hardcore wrestling fan. Somebody who got into wrestling in the Attitude Era but was fading out (and there were many of these) would've been excited for Undertaker vs Sting or Rock vs Hogan or Austin vs Goldberg, but Terry Funk vs Undertaker is not moving the needle.
>>
>>12941029

Then putting him with Sting or Goldberg is infinitely better than 2001 or 2002 Foley
>>
>>12940446
Seething Meltzerlover
>>
>>12940604
Worked and seething Bischoff lover
>>
>>12936166
You can have a midcard, it doesn’t mean that Midcard should consist of guys you liked from your time running a mudshow in Memphis or people who you’re friends with because of mutual sexual degeneracies. I like ECW as much as any other Chud from the northeast born in the 80’s, but of all the guys...Nova, Lynn, Candido and Storm wouldn’t be the ones I’d book for Wrestlemania.
>>
>>12936014
Legitimately fucking terrible. He will never recover. This exposed Jimmy.
>>
>>12943532
This was well over a decade ago, retard.
>>
>>12936014
Austin v Hogan - WCW Title
Taker v Sting
Rock v DDP - WWF Title
HBK & HHH w/ Vince vs Hall & Nash /w Eric
Kane v Goldberg
Kurt Angle v Booker T - Intercontinental Championship
Dudleys v Road Warriors - Tag Team Titles
E&C v Benoit & Eddie
Hardyz v Jericho & Storm
Scott Steiner v Brock Lesnar
Foley v Bam Bam v Funk v Raven - Hardcore Title
Chyna v Bull Nakano - Women's Title
Madusa & Daffney v Trish & Lita
William Regal vs British Bulldog - European Title
Rey Mysterio vs Shane Helms - Cruiserweight Title

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.